Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 02-03-2007, 12:37 AM   #1
mrgo40rd

Default i have an idea (read me)

Now i have your attention im doing some reasearch on starting a buisness

what i want to do:Its a simple idea and may have been done before.what i want to do is help people in purchasing a vehicle (how you ask)
1-help them find a car that suits there lifestyle and at a price they can aford
2-test drive and inspect there vehicle and look for any potential problems (it wont be a full nrma inspection) but can be arranged(im a mechanic by trade
3-haggle the price and get the best deal for them including a good trade-in
4-once the vehicle has been purchased i charge a small finders fee if no car is found no charge
In summary im out there to help the people that dont have any car knowledge and dont know how to haggle a price and to stop them falling in love with that red sports car that wont fit the family in comfort i dont have any association with any car yards or prefered dealers i have automotive experience and just wish to help and comments good or bad any ideas feel free to let me know

Member of 'Falcon Tickford FPV Club of NSW'
www.ftf.org.au
Nolathane, Whiteline and Whiteline PLUS enhanced
car care products 1300 006 007 (keep it looking clean)
mrgo40rd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2007, 12:49 AM   #2
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seems intersting, just wondering how it could work ( and I'm not saying it can't ), but first question to mind is would you as in point 1. help a lot of people but they turn out to be tyre kickers who are not sure and take their business else where leaving you with wasted time and no $ ( just thinking out loud )
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2007, 04:00 AM   #3
Danny
GT4.

There's also the potential for some hefty legal fees should you perhaps (god forbid) point the customer in the direction of a car that turns out to be a lemon...
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2007, 05:48 AM   #4
DirtyHarry
Do you feel lucky?

A lot of of smaller car wholesalers did this kind of stuff on the side. It's a bit of a grey area from a legal point of view, particularly if issues of warranty blow up. If you don't do it right there is every chance you will be considered an unlicenced motor dealer.
DirtyHarry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2007, 08:42 AM   #5
Ringo
I see you....

SO your saying you want to be a car buyer advocate like for real estate?

Lot of time, hassle and dealing with people and cars - a notoriously emotional thing.

Take point 1 - help them find a car that suits there lifestyle and at a price they can afford. Are you talking new or used? Are you going to troll through the paper, internet etc and find 3 options only for the people to A change their mind or B "Oh we bought one this morning - its red - it has cup holders" C "Ok now we have to get Finance"

I have helped out a bunch of friends and mainly stopped them buying things which showed "potential issues" that they couldn't see....they where fine with FINDING something they liked.

I mean how stingy to non car people get when it comes to cars ?...they hate replacing brake pads and changing engine oil and complain about mechanic bills (cheapest trademen they will ever use !)

I got told once "Don't need to change the oil, there was still some on the stick when I pulled it out" .....hmmm

I applaud the idea - your an ideas man - but this has more potential to cause grief than make money.....
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2007, 08:46 AM   #6
Ringo
I see you....

PS - love the avatar Dirty Harry....its like a magic eye thing...I can't stop looking at it
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2007, 05:29 PM   #7
Kryton

what sort of area would you be covering as well?
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2007, 06:53 PM   #8
I_Con
Formally known as "Con G"

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

I have though about doing the same thing on the side, after helping out friends/family by haggling for a good price (new cars). I though I have saved them thousands of dollars, a couple of hundred my way wouldn't be asking to much.

I'd wouldn't do it as my main source of income, just as some extra pocket money.

I'd be interested to see how you go with all this.

If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

Click here to see my Territory Pics.
Click here to see my Navara Pics

I_Con is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2007, 12:46 PM   #9
mrgo40rd

thanks for all the comments it helps im not looking at doing it full time just as a side income and i proble wont make alot of money i wont be selling them cars it will be more to point them in the right direction and not get ripped off by a sales man being it a new or second hand car any other ideas or comments good or bad they all help please feel free to leave one

Member of 'Falcon Tickford FPV Club of NSW'
www.ftf.org.au
Nolathane, Whiteline and Whiteline PLUS enhanced
car care products 1300 006 007 (keep it looking clean)
mrgo40rd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2007, 02:30 PM   #10
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Hmmm there is already a similar service. "Car Brokers" i think they are called. But i think its only for new cars??

You call em with what your after, they hunt around for the best deal and pass on the info to you, as well as a finders fee, seeing as they claim to save you more than what their service costs.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2007, 02:49 PM   #11
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgo40rd
Now i have your attention im doing some reasearch on starting a buisness

what i want to do:Its a simple idea and may have been done before.what i want to do is help people in purchasing a vehicle (how you ask)
1-help them find a car that suits there lifestyle and at a price they can aford
2-test drive and inspect there vehicle and look for any potential problems (it wont be a full nrma inspection) but can be arranged(im a mechanic by trade
3-haggle the price and get the best deal for them including a good trade-in
4-once the vehicle has been purchased i charge a small finders fee if no car is found no charge
In summary im out there to help the people that dont have any car knowledge and dont know how to haggle a price and to stop them falling in love with that red sports car that wont fit the family in comfort i dont have any association with any car yards or prefered dealers i have automotive experience and just wish to help and comments good or bad any ideas feel free to let me know
Lots of people doing this already , it must be advisory only as it can be a legal minefield , you find several options and they make the final decision.
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2007, 06:00 PM   #12
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by atec77
Lots of people doing this already , it must be advisory only as it can be a legal minefield , you find several options and they make the final decision.
Teacher's car buying service is one. Been around for years.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2007, 06:17 PM   #13
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

heres one:

http://www.carsearch.com.au/
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2007, 06:24 PM   #14
rodderz

Seems like a good idea mate, especially for those who find the choice hard

What cars to look for, which ones to steer clear of, you would have to do a lot of research into both cars and how to best get your business out to the public
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2007, 06:21 PM   #15
keef
Starter Motor

Smile if you got,

the skills to pull it off, i could definately see a need there, i've been doin it for years[on a much smaller scale] for friends and family.how much would you charge?
Old 10-03-2007, 06:27 PM   #16
keef
Starter Motor

Default after further reading...

it wouldn't be a bad thing to seek some advice on your legal obligations,so it didn't bite you in the **** later on,but i reckon great idea.