Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-05-2007, 06:11 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation HSV Grange targets BMW, Mercedes-Benz !!!!

Holden Special Vehicles is keen to move its brand upmarket with the luxurious and roomy Grange performance limousine, reports TOBY HAGON. 23/05/07

2007 HSV Grange
HSV has launched its most serious attempt at tackling more established luxury Marques with the latest Grange flagship – just don’t expect a bottle of Grange wine to be stashed in the boot.

The HSV Grange went on sale this week priced at $82,990, bringing with it more equipment than any locally-produced vehicle and adding a highlight to the company’s line-up as it approaches the brand’s 20th anniversary.

The Grange is based on the Holden Caprice – itself a long-wheelbase version of the VE Commodore – and comes with twin DVD screens in the back, a tri-zone climate control ventilation system, Bluetooth phone connection and an advanced damper control system similar to that used in the latest Ferrari 599 and Audi TT.

It also gets safety features such as a stability control system and side curtain airbags. Like all long wheelbase Holdens, the Grange gets more leg room than almost every car on the market, making it a favourite with families and limousine companies. And, like all HSV models, it’s beneath the bonnet that the Grange’s appeal is strongest.

The 6.0-litre V8 delivers 307kW of power and 550Nm of torque. That’s enough, says HSV, to shift the near-two-tonne sedan to 100km/h in about 5.3 seconds, all the while thrashing out a characteristic V8 soundtrack. Not that the Grange is all about neck-snapping performance.

HSV says the Grange focuses on luxury, something it hopes will help shift the brand into the premium end of the market currently dominated by the likes of Mercedes and BMW. “This car will truly build on the outstanding sales success HSV has enjoyed over the last eight months,” says newly-appointed HSV managing director Scott Grant on day one of his new role.

“There is already a strong order bank for the new model and the HSV Grange is often cited as representing the singularly most popular repeat purchase vehicle in the HSV line-up – so we’re confident it will be well received in the marketplace

” But the Grange could be just the start of a push into more luxurious vehicles, according to Grant, who is keen to expand the performance-oriented HSV offering. “When you start talking about European buyers, we’ve probably still got opportunity to expand the product further in terms of its specification level to attract those people,” he says.

While previous Granges have included a bottle of Australia’s most famous red wine, Penfold’s Grange, such a luxury is no longer standard. However, HSV claims most dealers will “throw in” a bottle of the well-known red as a sweetener to the near-$100,000 deal.

HSV must be drinking too much of the "red". !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2007, 07:04 PM   #2
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Lol, what year on the wine?

Wow thats a big whack of money for a holden!! Was this the car running the add that compares the car to the BMW? Or was that the VE statesman or similar?
Old 23-05-2007, 07:12 PM   #3
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

Build Quality is no where near the same
I'd take a German Car any day over a HSV Grange
Old 23-05-2007, 07:39 PM   #4
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sure it won't have the same build quality as the Mercs or BMW's but a similar spec car from either of the other 2 would be at least 150+k
Good on HSV, i hope it does well. I like the current statesman/caprice range, very handsome looking vehicles and well equipped.
ClevlndStemer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2007, 09:01 PM   #5
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Good on them for trying but I reckon they are dreaming if they think they can properly compete with BMW and Mercedes. BMW and Mercs have a brand identity that is upper class globally. HSV is nowhere near at that level yet. But this is a good start.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2007, 09:08 PM   #6
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Still no pics?

Personally I think they are pretty damn bland, styling is nothing special. But like stemer said, I agree they have alot of kit.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2007, 09:11 PM   #7
Lightning Strike GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We as a FORD family might take a dislikle to the red side but think about this
1 HSV / HOLDEN are Australian
2 HOLDEN export these to the rest of the world
3 How many other Australian cars are on par with the German taxis
4 Good on ya GMH keep up the good work

PS Where is FORDS, MITSUBISHI's answer, TOYOTA have LEXUS
And an 2019 MD Mondeo Trend Wagon in Platinum White
Lightning Strike GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2007, 09:22 PM   #8
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

picture would't download
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2007, 09:29 PM   #9
Psycho Chicken
Banned

At least someone knows how to make and sell LWB.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2007, 10:17 PM   #10
irsa76
Snoopping

Not bad.
irsa76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2007, 10:31 PM   #11
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not bad at 83K, only 6K more than Senator with alot more features. Initial reposts were that it would be 90K+.
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2007, 10:31 PM   #12
Richmalbill

Quote:
Originally Posted by BF XR8

PS Where is FORDS, MITSUBISHI's answer, TOYOTA have LEXUS
Er....try Jaguar, Volvo, Daimler, Range Rover
Richmalbill is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2007, 10:53 PM   #13
Angeldust

one of the other cars in my garage is a 2003 BMW 320 coupe. Its a gutless 2.2L I6, i can somehow never feel comfortable in it, the auto is hardly any better than the standard ford/holden pieces of crap, and when BMW charge u $180 for just 6 spark plugs, u know its friggin ridiculous.

Ive driven this car on/off in between when my SS is getting either serviced and once i drove it daily for a period of 3 weeks. You just dont understand how happy i feel when i jump back into my SS. Its a lot more comfortable, feels way more secure/stable on the road, especially at higher speeds and apart from a few minor 'holden' quirks, i believe my 01 commo is the better car, let alone the new VE.

Z series Clubsport HRT edition..
e46 320ci 2.2ltr Stocko
Angeldust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2007, 11:05 PM   #14
mattcosa

Great news for Holden and HSV - good luck with it. Hope they take 100% of the Aussy market (no Fairlane) and have a good stab at the Euro's - they deserve the rewards from their investment and leverage off export oportunity. Now that Fairlane is dead in the water most likely those fleet sales will go Sato too.

Grange has carved a niche market here: LWB Grunt. Tom Gorman was right when they said they'd need 200mill to get back into the market. Serve's Ford right for f'n up AU's "looks" and not seeking more export. - /end rant. :togo:
mattcosa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2007, 11:15 PM   #15
MattyJ

Yumm... Granges are so PIMP.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2007, 11:19 PM   #16
Mondie
Firm member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
At least someone knows how to make and sell LWB.
Isn't that the truth. Good on them if they can pull it off. The LWB version of the VE is a great looking car, especially a Caprice with the optional 20's. l have not spotted a Grange in the flesh yet but l bet its a looker too.

God only knows why Ford cut corners with the BA and released the LWB version and carried over a lot of the BA parts, surely that was the death of the Fairlane regardless of how empty the cookie jar may have been at the time. Buyers are not stupid. Now they are out of the LWB market altogether! :togo:
Mondie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2007, 11:26 PM   #17
Falcon Freak
Banned

If I was in the market for a German brand I wouldn't consider anything from Ford or Holden. Its like comparing the proverbial apple and orange.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2007, 11:41 PM   #18
Ridin-High

Well for double the price you can get less if you go merc

http://www.drive.com.au/buy/new/car_...c200000&from=4

Power - 270kw / 510nm vs 307kw / 550nm
Gearbox - 5spd Auto vs 6spd auto
Mags - 18's vs 19's
Looks - Base level snob car vs bogans wet dream

The tool i worked for loves german cars and spends nearly 500k on something that doesn't look all that good.... like far out get a ferrari/lambo or something with abit of how ya going

Ps. Yes i have used the search button mum....
Ridin-High is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2007, 11:47 PM   #19
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Freak
If I was in the market for a German brand I wouldn't consider anything from Ford or Holden. Its like comparing the proverbial apple and orange.

FF
I would have said apples and bannanas but meh :
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2007, 11:57 PM   #20
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Good on HSV for taking on the world. They have persisted with their LWB models, designed them to look FAB and perform well. I see so many Statesman's and Caprices on the road so I'm sure this will also sell like hot cakes..........

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2007, 12:18 AM   #21
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Lol, what year on the wine?

Wow thats a big whack of money for a holden!! Was this the car running the add that compares the car to the BMW? Or was that the VE statesman or similar?
What year on the wine?
Many Penfolds Grange years are crappo and overpriced. 1998 was a very good year apparently though.

But good on Holden/HSV for organising their business. With Ford Australia could take a leaf out of the book before it's too late.

Fitzroy.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2007, 12:25 AM   #22
XCSEDAN
i'm baaaack....

no way will a grange compare to a BMW....
been in a caprice, and plenty of 5 series bmws n i gotta say, the bmw WALKS all over it.
also a MUCH nicer engine, much smoother, much better gearing, much nicer everything.

oh yeah... AND NO SQUEAKS!!!!!
XCSEDAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2007, 12:43 AM   #23
SIKustomz
Banned

Default grange huh

what about this grange

SIKustomz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2007, 01:01 AM   #24
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All these reports in motor magazines about Holdens etc., taking it to European cars are based on some slavering scribe driving a brand new machine.

If any of them took the time to make the same comparison with cars that had 40K or so under the belt, they'd be singing a different tune. Most Europeans are still tight as a drum, while these "world beating" OZ built sh*boxes are rattling billycarts.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2007, 01:05 AM   #25
blutura
ZX-6R & Falcon pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKustomz
what about this grange
: Picture needs to be bigger...

You can only have two.
blutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2007, 01:07 AM   #26
Steffo
LPG > You

Based on size... this car's competitors would wipe it away at just about everything... the AMG S-Class, Audi S8 and V12 7-Series....

Based on price its a different story... but priced based comparisons don't work. You'd end up with HSV Grange vs Audi A4 3.2 FSI Quattro... umm no.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2007, 02:50 AM   #27
ti0350
Starter Motor

Both FPV and HSV have hit the nail on the with the equiptment level on their cars to buy a eurobox with the same equiptment level and power would cost you nearly twice as much..
BMW's arent what they cracked up to be either my mate use to work in the service dept for a real big BMW dealer here in Sydney and he couldnt believe the things that fell off some new bmw's.. Also he for the price you pay for one of them you would not expect the sutff that does go wrong with them to happen.. He recons his XYGT is screwed together better then some of the BMW's..
ti0350 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2007, 08:08 AM   #28
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Hate to say this, but: GO GET 'EM!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmalbill
Er....try Jaguar, Volvo, Daimler, Range Rover
Who does Daimler belong to? Ford don't own it, neither Mitsbishi, they sold Daimler years ago!
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2007, 08:23 AM   #29
Tles
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

After 13 assorted Fairlanes and LTDs (+ 2 Vals) my FatherIL bought a Jaguar Stype and has repalced that with another Stype 3.0V6 Luxury Similar money and the Grange was considered, so was Senator and Fairlane G8, but the Jag is just so much nicer, resale better and rear seat doesn't matter. Merc Eclass was looked at but try speccing one up to same equip levels and your spending 25+ on options. CL coupe they found too small, same with BMW.
The other reason for going Jaguar is the car actually rides and performs like an Aussie car on Aussie roads. Fun in corners without being upset by off camber bumps, cruisy and forgiving on backroads including gravel. FIL drove his mates BM740iL for a weekend and it was great for Freeway or around town, but even it's owner prefers his G8 Fairlane on country highways and building site visits.

The Grange is a darn good thing as is the Statesman - the Fairlane just lost site of it's Target market.
Ford forget that it's the people who buy them next who convince the new buyer to get them in the first place. Fairlane remains one of the better used Family car buys.
Tles is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2007, 08:31 AM   #30
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another big, irrelevant barge...yawn. Limo drivers will be excited no doubt.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post