Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 01-06-2007, 08:02 PM   #1
epson

Default Au ute for towing

Hi, im looking at getting a manual au ute. The problem is the ute will be occasionally used for towing a 1600kg boat. Ive been told that the clutches are only rated to tow 500kg. So I was wondering if anyone knows if you can get a heavy duty clutch or something, or if I will need to get an auto.

epson is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2007, 09:12 PM   #2
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

the autos are rated for greater towing capacity, it would be a cheaper option id imagine.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2007, 10:31 PM   #3
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

manuals are rated to tow 1200kg, autos with the correct towpack, 2300kg...
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2007, 10:35 PM   #4
V8falcons
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by epson
Hi, im looking at getting a manual au ute. The problem is the ute will be occasionally used for towing a 1600kg boat. Ive been told that the clutches are only rated to tow 500kg. So I was wondering if anyone knows if you can get a heavy duty clutch or something, or if I will need to get an auto.
A manual AU ute is only rated to 1200kgs and is ilegal to tow any heavier,but thats only if you get caught.
I had a XR6 manual au and used it to tow my RS and other cars to events,it towed loaded car trailers fine.I prefer manauls for towing my self.
I was going through the owners manual one day and saw the 5 speed manual is only rated to 1200kg,so i rang my insurance compay just to check what they would insure and they new it was 1200kg before I finshed asking the question and wouldnt accept a claim if i was towing anything over 1200kgs,so be careful as if you tow more than the rated kgs you wont be insured.
My ute was replace with an AU auto wagon not long after I found this out.
V8falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2007, 07:31 AM   #5
au2sw
Blown 5L coming

your best off to go with an auto for heavy towing. you will find that no matter what, you will go through clutch plates fairly quickly as it will work harder under that sort of load. an auto can tow heavier items due to the torque converter taking up the tension of the load and reducing impact on the bands/planetaries. if your worried about the autoover heating under the load, you can purchase heavy duty "radiators" for your trans fluid that mount infront of the A/C condeser behind your front bar.

NEW CLUB FOR SUNSHINE COAST !! www.f-p-e.proboards.com

Contact Col (au2sw) via PM or on MSN @ efmonty@hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Its like central locking in your car. We've all had cars without it and we were fine then, but try and take it from me? NO WAY.
au2sw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2007, 11:16 AM   #6
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do *NOT* buy a 1-tonne unless you need to tow/carry a lot. While they are good utilitarian vehicles, their specifications make legalities difficult for suspension/wheel/tyre mods. Just buy a "normal" AU auto ute (AUs are CHEAP!) with 2300kg hitch and happy pulling ... (hmm?)
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2007, 12:28 PM   #7
epson

Alright fellas thanks for your help, looks like it will have to be an auto. I was also wondering would it be possible for the ute to have around 140rwkw and still be able to tow???? because I was thinking of getting one of those jim mock dev kits.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:10 PM   #8
au2sw
Blown 5L coming

shouldnt be any reason why not....go for it

NEW CLUB FOR SUNSHINE COAST !! www.f-p-e.proboards.com

Contact Col (au2sw) via PM or on MSN @ efmonty@hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Its like central locking in your car. We've all had cars without it and we were fine then, but try and take it from me? NO WAY.
au2sw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2007, 10:19 PM   #9
blue terra
au=gold

just wondering then i have an au manual ute and my tow bar says it can take 1600kg. just wondering about it, its a ford tow bar to.
blue terra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 01:19 AM   #10
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue terra
just wondering then i have an au manual ute and my tow bar says it can take 1600kg. just wondering about it, its a ford tow bar to.
Yes, the bar is rated to 1600kg and is the same as used on autos and manuals. The limiting factor in the manuals is 1200kg.

I happily towed a 17" 1700kg boat using my 2300kg HR HD tow bar on a manual AU1 XR8 I had, until one day coming through Qbn, The clutch slipped all the way between 2 sets of lights, and needed to be replaced soon after. I got the clutch fixed, and traded the XR on a V8 auto.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 09:04 PM   #11
blue terra
au=gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Yes, the bar is rated to 1600kg and is the same as used on autos and manuals. The limiting factor in the manuals is 1200kg.

I happily towed a 17" 1700kg boat using my 2300kg HR HD tow bar on a manual AU1 XR8 I had, until one day coming through Qbn, The clutch slipped all the way between 2 sets of lights, and needed to be replaced soon after. I got the clutch fixed, and traded the XR on a V8 auto.
thanks for that JC. clears it up now for me.
blue terra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 10:30 PM   #12
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

The clutch is the weak point.

But ... if towing heavy loads ... hi-stall converters are a no-no ... unless you love doing massive burnouts trying to tow a heavy load ... LOL.

If towing and wanting more power ... don't go for a setup that increases top-end power ... look for a set up that will increase low-mid-range torque (as you are never going to rev the guts out of it towing all the time).

If i had the cash ... I'd have a supercharger bolted to the front of the engine ... then I'd hav no issues with lack of torque when towing.

A decent trans cooler is a must for towing ... and make sure the auto is serviced regularly. Also tow in power mode (can leave it in D though ... as power mode will ususally keep it in 3rd for most times and drop into top gear on the flats.)

Also ... if towing more than 700kg ... you must have a brake controller if towing a trailer with electric brakes ... also it's a good idea to upgrade the brakes on the tow vehicle as well ... every little bit helps.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2007, 06:08 PM   #13
epson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
The clutch is the weak point.

But ... if towing heavy loads ... hi-stall converters are a no-no ... unless you love doing massive burnouts trying to tow a heavy load ... LOL.

If towing and wanting more power ... don't go for a setup that increases top-end power ... look for a set up that will increase low-mid-range torque (as you are never going to rev the guts out of it towing all the time).

If i had the cash ... I'd have a supercharger bolted to the front of the engine ... then I'd hav no issues with lack of torque when towing.

A decent trans cooler is a must for towing ... and make sure the auto is serviced regularly. Also tow in power mode (can leave it in D though ... as power mode will ususally keep it in 3rd for most times and drop into top gear on the flats.)

Also ... if towing more than 700kg ... you must have a brake controller if towing a trailer with electric brakes ... also it's a good idea to upgrade the brakes on the tow vehicle as well ... every little bit helps.

ok I will want my ute to have a bit of power but i also want it to be used for towing a 1600kg boat, and travelling down the highway daily. What do you guys reckon would be a good set up for it. as i said i was looking at getting a jim mock dev kit. ONe thats around 140rwkw. Does anyone know if it would make alot of differencre to an auto????? And also i couldnt afford a turbo or super. Can someone help me please used:
Old 05-06-2007, 09:28 PM   #14
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

of course it's going to make a difference to an auto. the stock torque convertor isn't that bad, more power will help, just try and get it tuned to have a good mid range for towing, either that or get a flash tune done aswell and get a tune made up for when you want to give it some, and another one for towing, and just take it easy
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post