Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 02-06-2007, 08:13 PM   #1
BFD83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Manual Conversion...

Hey guys, i know there has been a lot of threads about manual conversions but i was just wondering as to how many ppl on here have done it and how much it costs depending on how expensive the parts are u use etc etc. I regret not getting a manual :(

BFD83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2007, 08:55 PM   #2
robbo_yobbo
Kick out tha Jams

I got it done, and have no regrets -
As far as pricing goes I got mine done at the same time as an xr engine upgrade but it cost me 3k all up - that included the manual box, clutch, tailshaft new ECU and BEM, new dash and wiring harneses, peddle box, (and the xr motor too which was obviously a fairly costly portion which you can take out) price included instalation.

Then sold all the old bits on ebay and got about $500ish back too which means it only realy cost me $2500

All up I thought I got out of it pretty cheap when you compare the price of a re-co auto trans at somewhere around the $1500 - 2500 mark on its own which I wouldve had to replace anyway.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:05 PM   #3
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am currently organising all the parts to complete a manual conversion myself. Not sure how much its going to end up costing me just yet, but will know fairly soon. I think if you are handy with the tools and do it yourself, you can save a bit that way. But then it also helps to have a mate who is a mechanic also! :P

Evan
ClassicAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2007, 10:24 PM   #4
BFD83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicAU
I am currently organising all the parts to complete a manual conversion myself. Not sure how much its going to end up costing me just yet, but will know fairly soon. I think if you are handy with the tools and do it yourself, you can save a bit that way. But then it also helps to have a mate who is a mechanic also! :P

Evan
haha yeh it does! my mechanic is heaps cool, might have a chat to him about it and see how much he could do it for...
Old 02-06-2007, 10:32 PM   #5
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well, if the install is no problem, then you should be ok. I have been speaking to the guys at Mal Wood, and they told me that if i got myself a T5 with stuffed internals, they can rebuild it to Z spec's for around $2000. Thats a rough estimate, depending on how you want to gear it to suit your application.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:25 PM   #6
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicAU
Well, if the install is no problem, then you should be ok. I have been speaking to the guys at Mal Wood, and they told me that if i got myself a T5 with stuffed internals, they can rebuild it to Z spec's for around $2000. Thats a rough estimate, depending on how you want to gear it to suit your application.
Man that's expensive! First you have to buy the box, then check to see if it's stuffed, then get it rebuilt, then get all the extra bits, then get used to changing clutches I guess! LOL!

I reckon the $2000 gearbox and high stall setup installation is a better option.

A manual 6 would be great though.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2007, 12:00 PM   #7
BFD83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i'd luv the 6speed manual but i heard that they dont fit in the au's! :(
Old 03-06-2007, 01:03 PM   #8
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent83
i'd luv the 6speed manual but i heard that they dont fit in the au's! :(
The sure do mate, but you'll be up for at least $6000 by the time your done getting it fitted and tuned to run correctly. I looked into that conversion myself, and it just looks too complicated and expensive for me. So it looks like i am going to be about to get away with my 5 speed conversion for around the $2000 mark, which i am happy with.

Evan
Old 03-06-2007, 03:25 PM   #9
BFD83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it costs nearly 2grand if the auto box goes anyways doesn't it?
Old 03-06-2007, 03:34 PM   #10
robbo_yobbo
Kick out tha Jams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent83
it costs nearly 2grand if the auto box goes anyways doesn't it?
Yeah not wrong, for a re-conned auto box I was quoted anywhere up to $2500 for the box alone! you could sure get a 2nd handy alot cheaper but then your gonna have the same problem time and time again anyway. Id rather replace a clutch any day
Old 03-06-2007, 03:44 PM   #11
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

However I neglected to mention that the standard stall in the fully recoed box would only be $1,650.

Each to their own though.

I hope it works out really good for you Ev. I guess I could even scone a drive? Heh, heh, heh!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 12:59 AM   #12
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
However I neglected to mention that the standard stall in the fully recoed box would only be $1,650.

Each to their own though.

I hope it works out really good for you Ev. I guess I could even scone a drive? Heh, heh, heh!

GK
You have a point there George, but like i have said before, personally i have always wanted a manual so i am willing to pay a little be extra for the privilege.
I'd be more than happy to come for a cruise past your place when its done mate, so you can take her for a spin!

Evan
Old 04-06-2007, 01:07 AM   #13
Skooter

Why not get an ef/l box to save a bit of dosh, it will fit the block but with only 4 bolts, so an au bell housing shall fix that. EA-D boxes also fit but are a bit...agricultural.
Skooter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post