Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 16-09-2007, 08:17 PM   #1
vini
Starter Motor

Default fan belt replacement

hey guys, i have to change my belt on my au1 6cyclinder.

i cant work out how to release the tension pulley. could someone tell me please?

vini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2007, 08:56 PM   #2
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

It's not a fan belt you have electric thermo fans but the serpentine belt tensioner has a square holw that takes a 3/8" square sockect drive. You ypur 3/8" drive ratchet wrench or breaker bar in it and rotate clockwise to take the tension off to remove or replace the belt.
Old 16-09-2007, 09:01 PM   #3
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

You don't even need to do what aussiblue said (Sorry Aussiblue I'm not trying to undermine you) as I normally just grab the belt and lift it up and over the power steering pulley. It can be a little bit of a squeze getting your hands between the the belt and the thermo fans.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2007, 09:10 PM   #4
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
You don't even need to do what aussiblue said (Sorry Aussiblue I'm not trying to undermine you) as I normally just grab the belt and lift it up and over the power steering pulley. It can be a little bit of a squeze getting your hands between the the belt and the thermo fans.
Wouldnt that mean it is to loose?
Old 16-09-2007, 09:17 PM   #5
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it is self tensioning
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2007, 09:28 PM   #6
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Ok... another stupid question by me... God i gotta learn these cars damn quick... :?
Old 16-09-2007, 09:40 PM   #7
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the only stupid question is the one you fail to ask
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2007, 10:05 PM   #8
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
the only stupid question is the one you fail to ask
Why is that?

Couldnt help that one :P :togo:
Old 28-09-2007, 04:26 PM   #9
XR Lita
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know this is s bit of an old thread...but in regards to the serpentine belt, are there any tricks to getting it on and off?

: T1 TE50 #094 :
XR Lita is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2007, 05:55 PM   #10
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Use a breaker bar on the lower pulley to help pull it up... this releases tension on the belt and makes it alot easier to replace.
Old 28-09-2007, 05:57 PM   #11
XR Lita
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How about getting the new belt on? Will it just slip on?