Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-10-2007, 09:40 AM   #1
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Default Next Ford Fiesta to be built in Thailand

Ford Australia's small car range stands to benefit from the shift in production of the Fiesta from Germany to Thailand in 2009.

The next model Fiesta will be built in Thailand at a production facility into which Ford Motor Co and Mazda Motor Co will jointly invest more than $A560 million.

Mazda Australia is expected to have its Mazda 2 built at the same site from 2009 (a move made possible because both the 2 and Fiesta were developed together)

According to Mazda the production facility will "incorporate Mazda's production methods into each stage of the production process"

Tom Gorman said he had absoloutely no concern with the quality of the Thai built Fiestas, as there have been no issues with Thai built vehicles to date. "(The next Fiesta) is still going to be European designed and developed. And that's very consistent with out brand." he said.

What does everyone think? Is this a good or bad thing? Ford will be able to play alot more with RRP And a euro designed car, built for less (but with Mazda quality) could be a very beautiful thing!

It looks like Ford will do the opposite to Holden;
Start off with a great euro car (expensive) slowly build a reputation, and then figure out how to get it here more cheaply;
as opposed to starting off with a horribly cheap and tacky car (burning a whole lot of people and their brand image) and then figure out how to make it less horrible and tacky?

If Ford get can get the Mondeo built in Oceania the line up will be extremely formidable!

LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2007, 09:49 AM   #2
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I think it will be fine. Just because a car is built somewhere doesn't mean it will inherit the good or bait traits/rumors of that country. Im sure BMW and Audi do it.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2007, 10:19 AM   #3
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

I think Ford and Mazda can't go wrong with this, great move. Most people dont consider the Fez because of its high RRP. Ford can lower the prices, or make more gizmos/options standard.
Old 17-10-2007, 10:35 AM   #4
BlackLS
yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fantastic_Ford
Ford Australia's small car range stands to benefit from the shift in production of the Fiesta from Germany to Thailand in 2009.

The next model Fiesta will be built in Thailand at a production facility into which Ford Motor Co and Mazda Motor Co will jointly invest more than $A560 million.

Mazda Australia is expected to have its Mazda 2 built at the same site from 2009 (a move made possible because both the 2 and Fiesta were developed together)

According to Mazda the production facility will "incorporate Mazda's production methods into each stage of the production process"

Tom Gorman said he had absoloutely no concern with the quality of the Thai built Fiestas, as there have been no issues with Thai built vehicles to date. "(The next Fiesta) is still going to be European designed and developed. And that's very consistent with out brand." he said.

What does everyone think? Is this a good or bad thing? Ford will be able to play alot more with RRP And a euro designed car, built for less (but with Mazda quality) could be a very beautiful thing!

It looks like Ford will do the opposite to Holden;
Start off with a great euro car (expensive) slowly build a reputation, and then figure out how to get it here more cheaply;
as opposed to starting off with a horribly cheap and tacky car (burning a whole lot of people and their brand image) and then figure out how to make it less horrible and tacky?

If Ford get can get the Mondeo built in Oceania the line up will be extremely formidable!
I would have rather my Focus be built in Thailand than South Africa.

The Focus is already being built in 1 or 2 places along side the Mazda 3 in South East Asia, Thailand and the Philippines if I'm not mistaken, and their held in fairly high regard in build quality.

It should also mean faster time between ordering and having the car delivered.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2007, 11:00 AM   #5
apolloxbgt
cross breeder

As long as the quality control is monitored it can only be a good thing locally.
Old 17-10-2007, 11:53 AM   #6
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

HiLux is built in Thailand. Nuff said
Old 17-10-2007, 06:43 PM   #7
FordFella
Hoon (I wish!)

I can imagine the media picking up on this..... Our engines are getting imported, our cars are getting built in Thailand - what do we have above Holden!

: If only I were old enough :
FordFella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2007, 07:23 PM   #8
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFella
I can imagine the media picking up on this..... Our engines are getting imported, our cars are getting built in Thailand - what do we have above Holden!
Are you serious? Holden's small cars are primarily Korean designed..I know when one I would rather.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 17-10-2007, 07:46 PM   #9
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFella
Are you serious? Holden's rebadged Daewoos are exactly that, terrible cars built to a price, when you can pay $13,490 for a crappy Barina with a 2 star safety rating or you can pay $15,990 for a Fiesta with at least a 4 star safety rating with superior road handling, superior design, superior build and finish quality.

I don't dislike them because of the Holden badge, I dislike them because they are a cheap and inferior product. Iwould much rather buy a Japanese or european designed and backed car.

As for the Fiesta being built in Thailand, who cares, as long as the quality doesn't drop off (which it won't if Mazda are involved) and they are still developed/ designed in Europe. We import cars from there already anyway.
Old 17-10-2007, 07:48 PM   #10
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

what China busy or their day off ???????????????????????????

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
GRNKPR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2007, 07:54 PM   #11
Steffo
LPG > You

That's the end of the Fiesta being a good car.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2007, 07:59 PM   #12
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fiesta will still be a good car. The Ranger and the Escape are built in Thialand. I don't see any build quality problems with them.

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2007, 08:03 PM   #13
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
That's the end of the Fiesta being a good car.
Incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOCUSonTHIS
Fiesta will still be a good car. The Ranger and the Escape are built in Thialand. I don't see any build quality problems with them.
Correct.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 17-10-2007, 08:15 PM   #14
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Incorrect.

Correct.
Hey God, I didn't know you posted on AFF? No one else could make such a full-stop statement about something that hasn't happened yet.

You can put your faith in a company like Ford (which doesn't have the best internal quality standard amongst auto manufacturers) and them choosing to build a car in a country not renouned for awesome automotive product. I, on the other hand, won't.

:
Old 17-10-2007, 08:27 PM   #15
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thailands standards in Manufactoring are alot better than the $10 rolex that street retailers sell.

After going there 9 months ago, it was a real eye opener. I was expecting to see a similar lifestyle to what i saw 10 years ago, I thought I was in Tokyo!
Technology is so far ahead there it wasn't funny. With that comes quality control.

Its a much better move than Holden utilizing Korea's old Daewoo Plant.

They also have the Isuzu plant in Thailand as well, The Isuzu have a strangle hold on the SUV market in Thailand, outselling Toyota as well as Nissan.

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2007, 08:46 PM   #16
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Hey God, I didn't know you posted on AFF? No one else could make such a full-stop statement about something that hasn't happened yet.

You can put your faith in a company like Ford (which doesn't have the best internal quality standard amongst auto manufacturers) and them choosing to build a car in a country not renouned for awesome automotive product. I, on the other hand, won't.
God hey...Ill take that.

Its called benefit of the doubt. A car should be able to be constructed anywhere and have high quality. As long has its designed well and normal manufacturing standards are met there should be no problem at all.

The above examples of hilux, ranger and escape give enough merit. Would people have picked Sth Africa as being crap before their issues. I bet you would have said Id rather it be Sth Africa than Asia.

Im sure with all the savings Ford will make, they will be spewing they missed your sale.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 17-10-2007, 08:48 PM   #17
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

The fact Mazda are involved, and the '2' will be built at the same plant can only be a good thing. We get to keep the Euro Design and Ford badge, with Mazda build quality, lower waiting times for orders, cheaper parts, AND Thai import pricing, its a win, win, win, win, win, win!
Old 17-10-2007, 08:55 PM   #18
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
God hey...Ill take that.

Its called benefit of the doubt. A car should be able to be constructed anywhere and have high quality. As long has its designed well and normal manufacturing standards are met there should be no problem at all.

The above examples of hilux, ranger and escape give enough merit. Would people have picked Sth Africa as being crap before their issues. I bet you would have said Id rather it be Sth Africa than Asia.

Im sure with all the savings Ford will make, they will be spewing they missed your sale.
I'd rather it be Germany building it then anywhere else. Though if I had to choose, South Africa would probably be on my list higher up then Thailand.

And yes, a car should be able to be constructed anywhere and have high quality. Except in the real world, most manufacturers, especially like Ford (American run, and currently bleeding money) don't adhere to that ideal. Now if the car in question was a VW Polo or a new MINI or a Mercedes A-Class... they could build it in Swaziland for all I care, I know it would be good.

Ford/GM etc going for cheaper labour = cheaper car. Literally. Unfortunately.

:
Old 17-10-2007, 09:27 PM   #19
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Steffo, it doesn't the fact that mazda are involved ease your concerns at all?
Old 17-10-2007, 09:37 PM   #20
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fantastic_Ford
Steffo, it doesn't the fact that mazda are involved ease your concerns at all?
No? Ford owns Mazda. Ford owns the controlling stake in Mazda. Ford tells Mazda what to do, Ford makes the decisions.

:
Old 17-10-2007, 10:38 PM   #21
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

No they don't steffo. Each company has its own set of directors and management, Ford US, Ford Europe and Ford Australia are run in essence like individual companies.

Just because Ford own 33.4% of Mazda they can't go in and tell them to stop making Mazda 3 MPS's because the CEO doesn't like them. It doesn't work like that
Piotr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2007, 10:41 PM   #22
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
No? Ford owns Mazda. Ford owns the controlling stake in Mazda. Ford tells Mazda what to do, Ford makes the decisions.
Mazdas build quality is still top notch tho Steffo, and they reckon there usual high standards will be kept at the facility that builds the Fez and 2.

Youre a cup half empty kinda guy huh?
Old 17-10-2007, 11:03 PM   #23
minheim

A bonus for Ford Australia with building in Thailand is the Thailand/Australia free trade agreement will give them a price advantage here. I'm sure that Ford and Mazda would not risk a quality issue. From memory Honda already build in Thailand.
minheim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2007, 11:26 PM   #24
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Fiesta will still be basing its designs on Euro models won't it?
The difference is Holden took their model from a different manufacturer and just rebadged it, making it an inferior piece of rat poo, smeared all over the bathroom wall.

I don't see any bad effects on the Fiesta's reputation as a result as I expect the same standards to be upheld. Holden still upheld the same standards on the current Barina...it's just that the standards are a hell of a lot lower.

If the price can be reduced, it will make the Fiesta a lot more attractive to those currently-naive 18 year olds who go, "I want a Barina", until somebody with a clue steps in and says, "For a little more, you can get a Fiesta. It's safer, handles better, looks better and better built".

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2007, 11:26 PM   #25
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr
No they don't steffo. Each company has its own set of directors and management, Ford US, Ford Europe and Ford Australia are run in essence like individual companies.

Just because Ford own 33.4% of Mazda they can't go in and tell them to stop making Mazda 3 MPS's because the CEO doesn't like them. It doesn't work like that
http://www.mazda.com/investors/stockinfo/situation.html

Explain your point? Based on the above, as far as I can see, Ford is the above-and-beyond commanding voice in the Mazda world. They own 33.7% of the shares and the next largest holder is 5.3%. They have 33.7% of the say of what happens, and the next largest voice has 6 times less then that. Directors and management are irrelevant.

:
Old 17-10-2007, 11:29 PM   #26
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
The Focus is already being built in 1 or 2 places along side the Mazda 3 in South East Asia, Thailand and the Philippines if I'm not mistaken
You've forgotten Focus XR5T. EuroFord through n through.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2007, 11:31 PM   #27
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It would be considered anti-competitive if Ford shut down Mazda and would result in bad publicity.

Also, Mazda is doing well and if Ford did shut down Mazda, there is no guarantee that the equivalent in Mazda sales would transfer straight over to Ford sales, so there is no potential gain.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2007, 11:33 PM   #28
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Do you even understand how shares and shareholding works?
Piotr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2007, 11:50 PM   #29
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Steffo; have you just emerged from under a rock? All American car manufacturer's have improved their build quality ten fold in the last 5 years; and Asia always had the upper hand. I think it's a brilliant stategy; we have an FTA with Thailand not Korea so we can undercut the crappy Barina with a far superior car!
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2007, 10:52 AM   #30
XWGT