Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-11-2007, 01:25 AM   #1
Shaggzy
"BMX_datto"

Default NSW Road Rules

As we all know Summernats is on in a couple of months and i will be attending and will be driving up with couple of mates.

Now i have a Victorian learners permit and when i go over the border into NSW do i have to go by there stupid 70 or 80 km/h learners speed limit? or can i carry along my way at 100 - 110 out on the highways?

Does the P1 speed limit also apply to me when i go back in a few months to another event after i will have my Victorian P's?

I am bit confused by all this as i have been told by some people i have to abide by VIC rules and others say i have to go by NSW rules. Can anybody clear this up for me. Thanks

Shaggzy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2007, 08:15 AM   #2
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Best thing to do is check with vicroads and ask them. BUT you drive according to your license conditions or the road rules and with regard to speed whichever is the lowest.
As the NSW L and P are license conditions include lower speed limits etc, then you do not need to abide by them, although be prepared to be pulled over and have to argue your case with cops who don't know the difference.
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2007, 08:27 AM   #3
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I always drove at 100km/h when I was on my Ls in NSW and I'm from ACT. Never got pulled over even numerous people said I was meant to only do 90km/h.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2007, 08:39 AM   #4
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

I always thought you stick to the laws from your own state? I cant drive Dads GT here becaue of the restrictions and i asked if i could drive it in the ACT as they dont have any and was told no, stick to the laws from your state as it is what the conditions are on your licence.
XR8 Uterous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2007, 09:43 AM   #5
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think you abide by the laws of the state which you are in. I have never understood why a learner, no matter how old or how many hours they have up, is allowed to travel at 100/110. Learning is just that, taking things easy at first and gaining experience. Sorry just my opinion. I would have thuoght it be the opinion of most here on a responsible forum. I know about the speed differential thing but its up to the " responsible " teacher to decide if its too busy and you are holding up the traffic or not.
Old 26-11-2007, 10:24 AM   #6
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had to check on this recently when my eldest came down from QLD to NSW.

You do have to abide by NSW speed laws is the bottom line answer.

80k's for 'L' Plates
90k's for 'P' plates (red)
MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2007, 11:37 AM   #7
troppo
Mr old phart

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

A passport is not a ticket to go to other countries and ignore their laws in favour of your own. Likewise, a licence is not a ticket to go to other states and do the same.

No matter what licence you hold, you abide by the laws of whichever state you're in at the time, otherwise I should be allowed to do 130 on any open road because I can here.

Simply put, local state regulations come first.
With licences where conditions/endorsements are attached, the local regulations are applied first.
The interstate conditions are appiled second.

This means that if a VIC P-plater is allowed to do 100 in Vic and goes to NSW where P-platers are restriced to 80, the VIC P-plater can only drive at 80 while in NSW.

Conversely, if a NSW P-plater goes to VIC, they are still only allowed to drive at 80 while in VIC, even though the VIC laws allow P-platers to drive up to 100, because of the NSW licence condition.

BA GT-P Blueprint
troppo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2007, 12:36 PM   #8
Shaggzy
"BMX_datto"

So i take it i have to go by NSW rules while im there but il doule check with VICROADS before i go. Thanks for the help
Shaggzy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2007, 01:00 PM   #9
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMX_datto
So i take it i have to go by NSW rules while im there but il doule check with VICROADS before i go. Thanks for the help
Forget Vicroads, they know VIC laws. Ring a NSW Highway Patrol office. (Albury HP would be a good start as they have both sides right there)

From what i've heard on my scanner Vic P platers have to obey the speed limit from they're home state (much to the annoyance of NSW P platers)

I also dont see why it's a "stupid 70 or 80 km/h learners speed limit?". Your learning remember, IE: you dont know how to do it properly yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by troppo
This means that if a VIC P-plater is allowed to do 100 in Vic and goes to NSW where P-platers are restriced to 80, the VIC P-plater can only drive at 80 while in NSW.

Conversely, if a NSW P-plater goes to VIC, they are still only allowed to drive at 80 while in VIC, even though the VIC laws allow P-platers to drive up to 100, because of the NSW licence condition.
...HUH?
Old 26-11-2007, 02:05 PM   #10
fmc351
let it burn

You can almost bet, that when there are two sets of rules to choose, ie: Vic and NSW, you will have to comply with the most restrictive of them. Any restrictions in the state youre are driving in will apply to you. Additionally, any further restriction your own state places on you still apply too. Obey every restriction basically.

Troppo got it dead right.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2007, 02:39 PM   #11
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

are NSW red p platers restricted to 100 or 110kph?
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2007, 02:48 PM   #12
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

NSW Red P Platers are restricted to 90kph
Old 26-11-2007, 02:49 PM   #13
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyro_02
are NSW red p platers restricted to 100 or 110kph?
Neither....90.
Old 26-11-2007, 02:51 PM   #14
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Neither....90.
Yep. And we aaaaall do 90 :
Old 26-11-2007, 02:54 PM   #15
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon_Phill
Yep. And we aaaaall do 90 :
Well your car (in the avatar) will have the speedo in MPH. So.....
Old 26-11-2007, 03:21 PM   #16
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

Quote:
Well your car (in the avatar) will have the speedo in MPH. So.....
That actually got me out of a ticket once, even though someone on here said it wouldn't. That and a polite smile. : : :
Old 26-11-2007, 04:07 PM   #17
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

Yep , stick to 90 kph in NSW , my cousins daughter (VIC) got Pinged at Gundagai (NSW) for doing 101 kph . 1 k over Vic Law , 11 over NSW Law .

Funny how they get you for "1" extra , never 80,90,100, always 81.91,101 ?

Strange . Huh

Norm

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
normxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2007, 04:16 PM   #18
brodfloyd
Hmmmm

so following this absurd logic, if at 17 you can get your P's in NSW then you shouldnt be allowed to drive at all in Vic where the age is 18.

The conditons of your learners permit which you are accredited for allow you to drive at the speed limit and road rules for your state. You cant pick and choose which parts of which states driving law's you want to follow. Its the rules of the state you have your licence from.

The kids i went to school with lived in NSW and went to school in Vic, they were 17 and had to drive at 80 in vic because that was the conditions of their licence. When i was (im from vic) on my p's at 18 i drove around NSW at 110 no problems.

Dont listen to these blokes, they are nowhere. Its the conditions of your states licence, otherwise you would have to be tested on other states road laws on your l's and p's. and you would have to know 6 states worth of road rules just incase.

none of you who have commented are under 35 for sure, or if you are you are a wowser

Last edited by brodfloyd; 26-11-2007 at 04:22 PM.
brodfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2007, 04:17 PM   #19
brodfloyd
Hmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by normxb
Yep , stick to 90 kph in NSW , my cousins daughter (VIC) got Pinged at Gundagai (NSW) for doing 101 kph . 1 k over Vic Law , 11 over NSW Law .

Funny how they get you for "1" extra , never 80,90,100, always 81.91,101 ?

Strange . Huh

Norm

my cousins daughter ay???

is he the same guy from FPV with the V10 GTHO???

this forum is degenerating so quickly its no longer funny.

Last edited by brodfloyd; 26-11-2007 at 04:22 PM.
Old 26-11-2007, 04:52 PM   #20
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodfloyd
none of you who have commented are under 35 for sure, or if you are you are a wowser
Indeed I am over 35. I now have a 17yr old son on his red P plates in QLD and a 16yr old daughter who has in the last week got her 'L' plates.

I investigated this exact topic in August when my son came to NSW. It is the NSW law for certain drivers to do certain speeds and this is and will be upheld if picked up by a NSW police officer ( As quoted by a NSW police officer to me ..... When in Rome do as the Romans do ........ )
Old 26-11-2007, 04:54 PM   #21
naughtyfalcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i hate to bust your bubbles but the nsw government will be passing laws makeing all L and p plate holders abide by nsw road rules,,
Old 26-11-2007, 04:55 PM   #22
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I am assuming that you are not from a close family ............ I have plenty of contact with my cousins and their immediate families ..........
Old 26-11-2007, 04:55 PM   #23
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Dont listen to these blokes, they are nowhere. Its the conditions of your states licence, otherwise you would have to be tested on other states road laws on your l's and p's. and you would have to know 6 states worth of road rules just incase.
Ah ya gotta love that... "dont listen to anyone else, I'm the one who knows"

Quote:
WTF does that mean?

(methinks you should back off on the red cordial)

Last edited by GasoLane; 26-11-2007 at 04:58 PM. Reason: damn typo's!
GasoLane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2007, 05:09 PM   #24
naughtyfalcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
so what has this got to do with the price of fish ?

i am 39 big deal i still have an active mind and keep up to date with changes unlike some of the know all teenies we have around here.

just remember ome of us here had our L's and P's before some of you were an itch in your daddies ball sack.

I've had my licence for 19 years, which include riders (11 years) and class MR(13 years).
i drive fire trucks to accidents which contain the mangled bodies of know all teenies and boy racers who think they know it all like you do.

i have more road experience than you and yet you seem to know all that needs to be known,,its good to live in fairy land.
Old 26-11-2007, 05:11 PM   #25
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Ah ya gotta love that... "dont listen to anyone else, I'm the one who knows"

WTF does that mean?
It means once youre 35, youre no longer thinking with your *&^%.

Oh how wrong he is.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2007, 05:19 PM   #26
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

Quote:
Yep , the forum sure is going downhill with people like you on here , My cousin lives 5 houses away , I see him 2-3 times a week , NO he does NOT have a FPV V10 GTHO (Hates New Fords) , he prefers his 350 Pontiac Transam , G20 Chevy Van , LS monaro ,77 351 XC coupe and Software Import business to pay for it all .
Go away & come back in 30 odd years , when you've got some experience like some of us and don't make stupid statements like that .

Bottom line , if this guy loses his licence , he's listened to you . Sheesh

(expecting a ban , but one insult deserves another)

Edit , just counted , I keep in contact with 17 cousins 8 Uncles & Aunts . You can't be very family orientated , sad , one day you might need them .

Norm

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"

Last edited by normxb; 26-11-2007 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Edit
normxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2007, 05:27 PM   #27
troppo
Mr old phart

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:

You aren't allowed to drive in NSW just because you have a VIC licence. You are allowed to drive in NSW because the relevant NSW authority has given you some credit for having a VIC licence and will graciously allow you to use it while in NSW, providing you abide by NSW laws while there. The same goes for all the other state authorities.

If that were not the case, then yes, you would have to get 6 different licences to drive around the country. In years past it was not uncommon for truckies in particular to hold 3 or 4 different state licences until regulations came in preventing the issue of a licence in more than one state. In those days, you could lose your VIC licence and still drive around on your NSW one. This is one of the reasons why a person can only hold a licence in one state at a time.

Edit: yes I am over 35, remind me why that matters?

BA GT-P Blueprint
troppo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2007, 05:32 PM   #28
brodfloyd
Hmmmm

it matters because these laws havent been relevant to your driving lifestyle/experience in many years, and if you are talking about your kids or someone elses kids that further illustrates my point.

I dont care how close you are to your family, but its a secondary source of information and therefore unreliable.

The fact is none of you have relevant experience or knowledge about learner and probabtionary licencing and are pontificating.

The facts are that you do not have to do 80kmph in NSW if you have a victorian Learners permit.

Last edited by brodfloyd; 26-11-2007 at 05:40 PM.
Old 26-11-2007, 05:33 PM   #29
brodfloyd
Hmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by troppo
You aren't allowed to drive in NSW just because you have a VIC licence. You are allowed to drive in NSW because the relevant NSW authority has given you some credit for having a VIC licence and will graciously allow you to use it while in NSW, providing you abide by NSW laws while there. The same goes for all the other state authorities.

If that were not the case, then yes, you would have to get 6 different licences to drive around the country. In years past it was not uncommon for truckies in particular to hold 3 or 4 different state licences until regulations came in preventing the issue of a licence in more than one state. In those days, you could lose your VIC licence and still drive around on your NSW one. This is one of the reasons why a person can only hold a licence in one state at a time.

Edit: yes I am over 35, remind me why that matters?
the only thing that matters about your post is "in years past",

The Vicroads learners handbook says nothing about it. im sure if it was law, we would be tested and informed of it. The police arent "out to get you"

NSW may be going to pass a law, but they havent, so its irrelevant.

You must lose the ability to cop playful putdowns past the age of 35, never seen so many defensive retorts.

Last edited by brodfloyd; 26-11-2007 at 05:39 PM.
Old 26-11-2007, 05:35 PM   #30
brodfloyd
Hmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by normxb
Yep , the forum sure is going downhill with people like you on here , My cousin lives 5 houses away , I see him 2-3 times a week , NO he does NOT have a FPV V10 GTHO (Hates New Fords) , he prefers his 350 Pontiac Transam , G20 Chevy Van , LS monaro ,77 351 XC coupe and Software Import business to pay for it all .
Go away & come back in 30 odd years , when you've got some experience like some of us and don't make stupid statements like that .

Bottom line , if this guy loses his licence , he's listened to you . Sheesh

(expecting a ban , but one insult deserves another)

Edit , just counted , I keep in contact with 17 cousins 8 Uncles & Aunts . You can't be very family orientated , sad , one day you might need them .

Norm
that has nothing to do with learner/probationary licencing and your family story whilst interesting is irrelevant.

Bottom line, He wont lose his licence, stop being silly.