Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 10-01-2008, 12:50 PM   #1
malwilson
Starter Motor

Post AU II auto Econ button

I have recently bought a 2000 AU II auto. Can someone tell me what the "econ button" does? How does it work? I have tried driving with it in both positions and dont see any difference in economy or shift changes. Any info appreciated. Thanks

malwilson is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 01:08 PM   #2
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Normally it means that it restricts your top end revs... without the Economy on, you should be able to rev it harder and there for, use more fuel... but thats the theory behind it... i just usually floor it regardless for the same result :P
Old 10-01-2008, 01:17 PM   #3
nutter_x
Nange Road Warrior

I found in my first AU it actually made the transmission more reponsive when economy mode was off. Held gears longer at most throttle applications too.

As for the economical benefits...very arguable if it did anything
nutter_x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 02:00 PM   #4
Chamelion
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've done a little testing in my AU3 wagon.

Econ - Better economy by about 1-1.5L/100km, changes up at lower revs, lock up kicks in earlier, holds gears under acceleration MUCH longer

NON Econ - Worse economy as above, changes at higher revs, changes smoother, drops gears much sooner, faster and smoother than econ

I tend to use econ more often to save the fuel cost. Mind you, if I'm in a rush and have to drive aggresively I'll tend to put it in power mode.
Chamelion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 02:04 PM   #5
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamelion

Econ - Better economy by about 1-1.5L/100km, changes up at lower revs, lock up kicks in earlier, holds gears under acceleration MUCH longer

NON Econ - Worse economy as above, changes at higher revs, changes smoother, drops gears much sooner, faster and smoother than econ

I tend to use econ more often to save the fuel cost. Mind you, if I'm in a rush and have to drive aggresively I'll tend to put it in power mode.
Spot on.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 02:09 PM   #6
accurate1

All it does is change upshift points a little but has nothing to do with top end revs.
accurate1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 02:47 PM   #7
curtleyw
Goodbye stock AU

My transmission dude said that it's better to drive around town with ECON off. He reckons sure it's a bit worse fuel economy but your transmission will last a bit longer.
Don't know if it's B.S or not, but it's worth a try!
Old 10-01-2008, 03:45 PM   #8
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtleyw
My transmission dude said that it's better to drive around town with ECON off. He reckons sure it's a bit worse fuel economy but your transmission will last a bit longer.
Don't know if it's B.S or not, but it's worth a try!
I'd get a new transmission mechanic if I were you. this Myth has some basis in fact but only to older magnas. in the old magnas the econ switch let the overdrive 4th gear come in but the "power" mode the overdrive was locked out. it was found that running around town with 4th engaging was loading up the transmission that was not that strong to start with.
in the BTR the switch has no bearing on if you get 4th or not so if he is still perpetuating the magna story he is living in the past and I wouldn't trust him to fix a roller skate
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 03:51 PM   #9
eXi7w0unD

i put my car in econ on the way to the gold coast from brissy etc, but other then that its always off. and if i dont have econ on, on the way to the coast my fuel thingy doest go up like it does on econ.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:07 PM   #10
waggaclint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ive found i get around 40 to 50kms more out of tank in econ mode and the car is alot smoother to drive.....
waggaclint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 06:31 PM   #11
The Monty
Just slidin'

Mines always on, unless I overtake.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:49 PM   #12
Werd.
nou

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
I'd get a new transmission mechanic if I were you. this Myth has some basis in fact but only to older magnas. in the old magnas the econ switch let the overdrive 4th gear come in but the "power" mode the overdrive was locked out. it was found that running around town with 4th engaging was loading up the transmission that was not that strong to start with.
in the BTR the switch has no bearing on if you get 4th or not so if he is still perpetuating the magna story he is living in the past and I wouldn't trust him to fix a roller skate
It was actually wearing out the overdrive gear so eventually if left on you would have a 3 speed gearbox with no overdrive.
The mechanic may be correct due to the transmission not changing gears as often or being loaded up in low revs.
Werd. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 07:15 PM   #13
brad`
The Monty

so in colclusion its better to have econ ingaged for causal driving but.. then again who here honestly ever drives casually ?
brad` is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 07:19 PM   #14
gregsAUII
Me AU's cheap and clean.

ME! like a grandmum.
gregsAUII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 08:00 PM   #15
gj350
Starter Motor

just your shift pattern is changed with the auto it will change gears earlier with econ engaged, as for economy it is marginal depending on the terain your driving in ie; throttle opening.
gj350 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2008, 12:17 AM   #16
v8falconsrule
Blue ~oval~ Blooded!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad`
so in colclusion its better to have econ ingaged for causal driving but.. then again who here honestly ever drives casually ?

with the fuel prices are heading i think more and more people will be unfortunatly. personally i always drive with econ on.

50th Anniv G6E Turbo in Sensation
Cobalt blue 94 ED XR8 Sprint- resto/ project
v8falconsrule is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2008, 01:16 AM   #17
paddle

stupid question here but does it work for lpg or petrol only? i personally keep mine in power,the auto hasn't seen economy for bout 2 years!
paddle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2008, 10:57 AM   #18
accurate1

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddle
stupid question here but does it work for lpg or petrol only? i personally keep mine in power,the auto hasn't seen economy for bout 2 years!
Yes it works on both.
accurate1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2008, 09:39 PM   #19
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I only switch ECON off when I I load the ute up ... or towing something.
Otherwise it is always on.

Oh ... if i am crusing around the 70km/h or below in traffic ... I actually drop the shifter back into 3rd ... stops it from shifting up and down all of the time on me.
Mechan1k is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2008, 12:39 AM   #20
crusher
Dirty ute club member

Always drive with Econ off.
Drive A LOT of hwy each day and I like having it kick down right away when I want some more speed put on. I found in Econ it takes forever to kickdown.

Luckily my drive to and from work is a pretty easy one. Half the way is 110/90/80 zone and the rest is done at about 70. Bout a 45 minute drive. Might try it with Econ on and see if there is a difference in fuel but im highly doubting it as I normally get about the same out of a tank each week no matter what I do. That a mix of taking it easy and cleaning out the cobwebs.
crusher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2008, 11:57 PM   #21
coxy321

I've been told by several people (all in the industry) to leave the economy button off. Two different transmission workshops and a few different mechanics. Apparently instead of the converter "slipping" up a gear, or "slipping" down a gear, in power mode it makes a more defined shift. And as previously stated, economy mode short-shifts & holds onto gears longer instead of kicking back. I've also noticed that it just about completely skips 1st gear altogether (gets the car going to about 20km/h then just "slips" on up to 2nd gear).

Saying that, i drive in economy mode all the time, as my AU2 wagon is an absolute bucket of s--t, and would struggle to pull the skin off a rice pudding. Usually if i need/want to go a bit harder i just pull the shifter back into 3rd or even 2nd sometimes.

Cheers - Coxy
coxy321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2008, 08:46 AM   #22
Eu-GenixX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my car put itself into econ mode the other week when i was towing a trailer... then after a couple minutes turned itself off again... anyone know what causes that?

i used to drive around in econ mode all the time... but i used to drive like a grandma... now i do enjoy a spirited squirt of the pedal.. and i leave it off....
Eu-GenixX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2008, 06:10 PM   #23
sly
Sly like a G6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamelion

Almost spot on.

The one trainspotting detail you missed is that in ECON mode the torque converter locks up in 3rd gear as well as in top. In PWR mode it stays unlocked in 3rd.
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2008, 02:33 PM   #24
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Chamelion, JC and sly are right. Except i would argue that MY transmission is smoother in econ, but i'm not 100%.
Econ and 3rd and no air con around town (up to and including 60kmh)
Econ and 4th and air con on highway (70kmh or above)
but thats just me
but power/econ don't matter too much, 4th in 60 zones is just stupidity. Would you put a manual in top at anything under highway driving? no! so don't do it with your lovely BTR.
Penultimate gear around town boys.
Trust me on this one, when i worked with Taxis we did tests and the ones who drove in 3rd around town lasted about 50,000klms longer, and fuel economy differences were undetectable.
Old 08-02-2008, 02:38 PM   #25
Chamelion
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cheers mate, I'll do my next tank in 3rd around town, will see what fuel difference it makes.

I've taken to using NON ECON near always now... Smoother, cleaner shifts and the near instant kick down is extremely pleasing.

Matt.
Chamelion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2014, 05:56 PM   #26
Markwatts91
Starter Motor

Default Re: AU II auto Econ button

I just had the auto transmission serviced and when you drive without econ mode it doesn't seem to change gears just revs high, any ideas?
Markwatts91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2014, 12:59 PM   #27
Spurious

Default Re: AU II auto Econ button

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markwatts91 View Post
I just had the auto transmission serviced and when you drive without econ mode it doesn't seem to change gears just revs high, any ideas?
This thread was started in 2008.

Start a new thread. It bugs some members when others bump really old threads.

My rule is, if it's more than halfway down the page on the sub forum, I don't touch it as the original poster most likely has the answer/s they were after.

Also check the date of the original post before bumping a thread. Bumping means to put it back on the top of the list, this happens if you reply to a really old thread that's down the bottom of the page.
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post