Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 18-01-2008, 08:34 PM   #1
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default AU Speakers, is new wiring required?

Hi all

just a quick query, when installing new speakers into an AU, do you have to put new wiring in, or is it just something you'd do to make it a better job. Ie do I have to go to the trouble of doing it, or can I just use the existing wire with the new speakers.

Ta

Old 18-01-2008, 08:41 PM   #2
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

It depends on how much more power you are pumping into the doors.If you have gone super high then youll need bigger wiring.The stock wiring is not too bad for the first few hundred watts.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2008, 09:02 PM   #3
b2tf
not here much anymore

Thanks Stav, now fr round 2, how deep a speaker can i fit in the front doors? The ones Im looking at are 2.5" deep, am I going to have issues fitting something that deep in there?
Old 18-01-2008, 09:04 PM   #4
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They'll fit with room to spare
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2008, 09:10 PM   #5
b2tf
not here much anymore

bewdy, thanks. should work well then.
Old 18-01-2008, 09:12 PM   #6
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Put whatever you want..at the end of the day if the windows dont open all the way air conditioning works a treat:P

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2008, 09:15 PM   #7
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav
Put whatever you want..at the end of the day if the windows dont open all the way air conditioning works a treat:P
: very true
Old 18-01-2008, 10:19 PM   #8
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also with the first question of the wirring. I don't think it is really needed, also the only way I was able to replace mine involved removing the ECU for the access required to do the passanger side. Only real issue you may have with ussing the factory wirring, is there isn't much of it as in length. Once you cut the plug off, if you stuff up trying to strip them you might be in a bit of trouble.
Old 18-01-2008, 11:17 PM   #9
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
do you have to put new wiring in, or is it just something you'd do to make it a better job. Ie do I have to go to the trouble of doing it, or can I just use the existing wire with the new speakers.
As mentioned the stock wiring is fine for most of us.
I had planned to upgrade the door wiring when I did my aftermarket stuff but a quick search regarding those molex? door connectors cured me of that.

As I plan to reinstall the stock sound when I sell the car I spliced and soldered new speaker wires onto the existing wires (which will allow me to utilise the original plug in future).

I took a bunch of pics when I did my installation so if you get stuck just whistle and I'll put a few up.
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2008, 11:45 PM   #10
schuldiner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you don't need to remove the ECU i did mine without removing anything but the door trim and pulling some of the plastic flooring up a little. b2tf ran his wiring for his courtesy lights with a bit of fiddling. i replaced mine for peace of mind and seeing as i was running an amp i needed to anyway it doesn't cost a hell of a lot, so in my opinion is worth doing if you have the time/patience...

see my ute here

AU parts for sale
schuldiner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2008, 12:43 AM   #11
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can you explain how you ran the passanger side cable?
Old 19-01-2008, 10:48 AM   #12
HLC
Audi S3

i left the original plugs on my speakers too. i just got those little male/female electrical connector things, put them on the ends of the wires that go straight to the speaker, and plugged them into the factory loom. which means they'll swap straight out if my car goes bye bye one day.
Old 19-01-2008, 11:32 AM   #13
KOUPE76
OLD SKOOL BABY

WTF, I laugh when you guys pull the ECU to get wirirng into the doors :
Really simple, get a coat hanger and straight in out, bend 1 end rite round to have a rounded tip and then push through from the door side into the existing black sock in which the cables are already running through and you will see it trying to poke out into the cabin, make a tiny cut in the insulation and bingo.
NOT HARD AT ALL, :togo:

1976 XB GS COUPE (waiting to start the rebuild)
KOUPE76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2008, 08:16 PM   #14
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUPRNT XR8
WTF, I laugh when you guys pull the ECU to get wirirng into the doors :
Really simple, get a coat hanger and straight in out, bend 1 end rite round to have a rounded tip and then push through from the door side into the existing black sock in which the cables are already running through and you will see it trying to poke out into the cabin, make a tiny cut in the insulation and bingo.
NOT HARD AT ALL, :togo:
In my experience it was a right of a job to do, mainly because I couldnt locate the wire behind the insulation, but a lucky cut got me through it and i found it. It can be done without moving the ECU but i would by no means say its an easy job. Then again maybe I'm just not as wonderful?
Old 20-01-2008, 12:31 AM   #15
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Well, I've learned something.

When I was gathering the bits for my install, an installer told me there was a molex plug behind the rubber boot. I actually peeled the rubber back a bit and could see the plastic "plug" behind it.
I went and had a close look today and sure enough there ain't no molex plug there, just a plastic surround... doh!

I'm actually glad I didn't muck around with door wiring, though. I'm not the doof doof guy and it's plenty good enough for my old ears with the factory wiring.
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2008, 01:25 AM   #16
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Quote:
In my experience it was a right of a job to do, mainly because I couldnt locate the wire behind the insulation, but a lucky cut got me through it and i found it. It can be done without moving the ECU but i would by no means say its an easy job. Then again maybe I'm just not as wonderful?
Was thinking the same thing, it was an absolute pain to do when we were doing it, thank god i chose to do the drivers side
XR8 Uterous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2008, 04:50 PM   #17
KOUPE76
OLD SKOOL BABY

Quote:
It can be done without moving the ECU but i would by no means say its an easy job. Then again maybe I'm just not as wonderful?
It's easy, LOL :

Old 20-01-2008, 05:39 PM   #18
b2tf
not here much anymore

c'mhere and give us a cuddle :
Old 20-01-2008, 05:44 PM   #19
KOUPE76
OLD SKOOL BABY

Don't worry Aust. I still loves ya, after all we have the same taste in cars. :evil3:

Old 29-01-2008, 10:42 PM   #20
b2tf
not here much anymore

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but rather than start a new one I thought Id ask a few things Im not sure about in here.

The 5x7s turned up today, and they're going in the rear, so before I go and stuff them, how do you get the covers off the rear speakers in the utes?

Second q - Ive been advised to get an amp for the new setup. What I am looking at is a 4 channel amp given there's 4 speakers (and theyre all splits). 1 channel for each speaker, does this sound right? And if so, is there anything in particular an amp should have? Im VERY new to amps so I do need a bit of a hand with this one.

Final q - since Im keeping the factory HU for a bit, can you run an amp from it, and how do you go about doing it?

Ta
Old 29-01-2008, 10:48 PM   #21
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If your keeping the stock headunit, just wire up the speakers and see if you are happy with the sound. To hook up an amp to your factory headunit, it needs to be pulled apart and have pre-outs soldered in. You can also get high-low coverters, but don't. They are a waste of cash. My sugestion is, if you aren't happy with the sound, think you need an amp, get a new head unit.
Old 30-01-2008, 05:10 PM   #22
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockoau
If your keeping the stock headunit, just wire up the speakers and see if you are happy with the sound. To hook up an amp to your factory headunit, it needs to be pulled apart and have pre-outs soldered in. You can also get high-low coverters, but don't. They are a waste of cash. My sugestion is, if you aren't happy with the sound, think you need an amp, get a new head unit.
Ok, thanks for that, what sort of figures does a new headunit need to be putting out to make these speakers sound ok?
Old 30-01-2008, 06:06 PM   #23
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It all depends on what you want, new speakers hooked up to your new headunit will be an improvement. If you want more get any decent head unit, most are putting out 45-50watts per channel peak. If you do decide to get a headunit, just make sure it has 4ch pre-outs, so if latter down the track you want a slight improvment you can then add the amp. What sort of speakers did you get?
Old 30-01-2008, 06:09 PM   #24
james22
With da Warlords

Head unit figures will mean SFA if your gonna run an amp. The figures the head units give you (50x4 for example) Is the amplification power of the head unit, which means nothing because you intend on running your speakers through a separate amp. So you can get whatever you like, as long as it has pre-outs.

edit beat me to it ^^^^

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2008, 06:45 PM   #25
b2tf
not here much anymore

Well I want to try and do either one or the other, so if the stock HU cant take an amp, Ill just buy a new HU. If I get one with 4 preouts, and 50wx4 camp builtin, that should do the job right? Ive seen a few Alpine ones I like that have these figures, so if it works, I'll do it that way.

Whats a stock 6 stacker worth anyway?
Old 30-01-2008, 07:21 PM   #26
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've just recently bought a 4-channel amp and HU with two RCA outputs (are these pre-outs?). I bought the amp with the intention of running the rears and a sub, but started to get an 'airy' distortion in the rears so pulled the wires. So now i have a 4-channel amp running my 1000W(300W RMS) sub at 120W RMS.

I'm still tossing around the idea of running wire to the speakers because of the distortion i've already had. I used a factory ground point in the boot that was a metal clip on painted metal. i also used two bits of speaker wire for each speaker that were soldered together and insulted insulated with electrical tape. Could either of these be the reason for the distortion or is it something else?

The sound from the speakers on factory wiring seems ok. Would the only benefit of giving them more power be louder music or would it give me better quality sound? Same question goes for the sub.

Also can anyone recommend a good monoblock to power the sub?

Thanks.
JMO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2008, 09:02 PM   #27
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO
I've just recently bought a 4-channel amp and HU with two RCA outputs (are these pre-outs?). I bought the amp with the intention of running the rears and a sub, but started to get an 'airy' distortion in the rears so pulled the wires. So now i have a 4-channel amp running my 1000W(300W RMS) sub at 120W RMS.

I'm still tossing around the idea of running wire to the speakers because of the distortion i've already had. I used a factory ground point in the boot that was a metal clip on painted metal. i also used two bits of speaker wire for each speaker that were soldered together and insulted insulated with electrical tape. Could either of these be the reason for the distortion or is it something else?

The sound from the speakers on factory wiring seems ok. Would the only benefit of giving them more power be louder music or would it give me better quality sound? Same question goes for the sub.

Also can anyone recommend a good monoblock to power the sub?

Thanks.
What speakers did you have the amp hooked up to? stocks?
Old 30-01-2008, 09:58 PM   #28
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

new pioneers. can't remember the model but 120W peak (i think). fronts are jbl.
Old 30-01-2008, 10:18 PM   #29
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

make sure the amp is set to FULL otherwise you will only get HIGH or LOW frequencys..

2 rca's.. is that 2 pairs or just 1 red and 1 white ??
Old 31-01-2008, 08:43 AM   #30
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

2 pairs.

I asked this before, but it's in the middle of a huge post. Will giving the speakers and amp more power make the sound clearer or just give them the ability to go louder?