Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 11-03-2008, 02:50 PM   #1
lil au3
Starter Motor

Default rack end leak

There seems to be a bit of oil coming from the LHS rack end boot. It's at the clip area where it goes onto the steering rod. Any ideas what might be causing this.

I presume it is powersteering fluid. Is there a seal or something that can be replaced on that side of the powersteering rack?

lil au3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2008, 03:13 PM   #2
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil au3
There seems to be a bit of oil coming from the LHS rack end boot. It's at the clip area where it goes onto the steering rod. Any ideas what might be causing this.

I presume it is powersteering fluid. Is there a seal or something that can be replaced on that side of the powersteering rack?
a seal in the end of the rack usually you cant change it with out pretty much dissasembling the whole thing, you need special tools its not worth it doing it yourself imo, either a change over unit or newey is the go, an alignment is also necassary, you could try a bit of stop leak but i think its only delaying the inevitable.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2008, 03:18 PM   #3
sikford
THE Fairmont Ghia 75th

if its got anything in past the boot its usually better to replace the lot, i have to do mine soon
Current Mods-HD Built Gearbox+(Mirror Polished, Modified Valve Body), 2500rpm Hi-Stall Convertor(TCE Custom Built), BIG Trans Cooler, Braided Lines/Speedflow Fittings, 2.5" Exhaust, Custom CAI, Detailed UnderCarriage, Custom SQ Stereo Install.
My Ride
My Build Thread
sikford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2008, 09:53 PM   #4
V8falcons
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeh,our ghia had a drip from its rack,but its seems to have stopped or dripped down from somewhere else.

I believe(unless Im mistaken) I built the machines(3) that assembles these racks for a well know parts supplier,they are very simple,they consist of rack/pinion and 3 seals and 4 bearings,Unless the rack had excessive backlash,I know I would be replacing the 3 seals only and it should ,last another lifetime or 5 years(depending on its lifestyle).
As a mater of fact thats what all those bearings and seals are for in my junk draws in the shed!!!!!I forgot all about them.
V8falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2008, 06:30 PM   #5
rosefisted

You'll usually get about 150,000km from a rack before it needs reconditioning... I got 180,000 from mine... Check on EBay - there's a mob in Queensland who sell change over reco racks..
And unless your rack comes with one fitted, make sure you put the pressure switch in BEFORE you install the rack - The switch is in an awkward position and unless you've got a the tool or a modified/bent spanner it can be a to tighten up.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2008, 03:00 PM   #6
lil au3
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosefisted
You'll usually get about 150,000km from a rack before it needs reconditioning... I got 180,000 from mine...
Mine has only just done 100,000km!

I have just topped it up with regular Castrol power steer fluid. Is that the right stuff to use?

Anyway, have cleaned up the rack end and will monitor it for a couple of weeks. Might try the 'stop leak' stuff after that to try and delay a change over. As far as I can tell the steering is functioning perfectly.
Old 13-03-2008, 11:36 PM   #7
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a leak at the rack end and it was down to a broken plastic clip, a trip to local Ford parts counter produced a $4.00 clip, cleaned up the rack end rubber, no splits, installed the clip and no more leak. That was over 5000km ago, still good. Look for the simple problems first.
cheers
Bill.
Old 14-03-2008, 01:22 AM   #8
smally289
growing up is optional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M
I had a leak at the rack end and it was down to a broken plastic clip, a trip to local Ford parts counter produced a $4.00 clip, cleaned up the rack end rubber, no splits, installed the clip and no more leak. That was over 5000km ago, still good. Look for the simple problems first.
cheers
Bill.

Umm, there shouldn't be any oil in there! The rack boot only protects the rack end joint from dirt and water etc, its not meant to hold oil in.

Seriously, these AU racks are crap, I wish I had a dollar for every one I have seen leak.
smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2008, 09:38 AM   #9
lil au3
Starter Motor

Quote:
cheers
Bill.
Wouldn't that just be sealing the end of the rackend boot allowing the boot to fill up with fluid?
Old 14-03-2008, 12:48 PM   #10
walker
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

they use a plastic seal in ther which always leaks, now when you get a reco one on a change over most places put an alloy seal in

XE project underway
walker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2008, 05:08 PM   #11
rosefisted

Quote:
cheers
Bill.

When my rack was replaced, the entire oil content of the system was dumped when the rubber boot was removed. As indicated, the rubber boot is meant to protect the tie rod end and rack join from dust/grit/etc, and not as a means to keep the oil from spilling onto the road.
Old 16-03-2008, 05:56 PM   #12
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smally 351, yes I am aware that the boot keeps put road dirt only and does not serve as a fluid reservoir, thanks.

Rosefisted, when I was cleaning the rubber boot no fluid gushed out and if you read the above line you will see I have an understanding of the rubber boots function, thank you to you as well.

Walker, yes the alloy clip would be a major improvement but it requires a special tool to reliably install it, the OEM clip suited my needs at the time.
Thanks walker.

Lil Au3, I monitor the fluid level and no noticeable drop in the reservoir fluid level.

"Look for the simple solutions first" If in doubt seek professional advice.

cheers
Bill.
Old 20-03-2008, 06:54 PM   #13
rosefisted

Quote:

"Look for the simple solutions first" If in doubt seek professional advice.

cheers
Bill.
Agreed, "look for the simple solutions first"... Though, I can't see how replacing a clip on the boot could stop the rack end from leaking... That's simply delaying the inevitable...