Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 19-03-2008, 11:00 PM   #1
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Default Globes

Hey all,

Seem to have a problem over the last few months that I'm forever shooting down to the local Autobarn store to grab more globes due to them blowing.

I'm not sure if the globes are meant to go as often as they do (especially the front ones, I fork out good $$$ for Philips Bluevision ones) or whether its just my imagination as to how often they're going, but has anybody else had issues with seemingly constant bulb changing? If so, is there anything you did to fix it?

Cheers.

Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2008, 11:03 PM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

Are they all philips globes that you're putting in? I had some GT150's which blew on me for no reason, I sent them back to the rep through work and they were replaced. Ive now got some new ones in there (GT150's again) and no dramas.

If they're not that old it may pay to take them back, worse case they say no best case they will send you some new ones.
Old 19-03-2008, 11:29 PM   #3
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

The ones in the front of my car are all Philips, as I use Bluevision ones all round (headlights, parkers, spotlights) so they're all colour matched instead of having whitish headlights/yellowed spotties.

The brake/tail I just use generic, since whatever I put in there is going to come out red anyway. I did buy some white LED tail/brake "globes" but they lasted all of the two minute test in there before I pulled them - they were just nowhere near bright enough to be anywhere near legal so I ended up putting normal globes back in.

Problem with replacing the Philips ones through warranty or whatever is that I don't know if I'll be able to find the receipts with the purchase dates unfortunately. I might have a little dig around on my desk here, but if I can't find them will be buying new ones straight out - I'm not going to be driving Easter weekend (increased Police presence) with any of my globes out, I'd rather fork out more $$ for more globes than deal with the chances of a canary!

Thanks for your help though.
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Old 20-03-2008, 12:51 PM   #4
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

you are being punished for using bluevision
they do nothing but annoy the hell out of other drivers
please cease this practice immediately.
Old 20-03-2008, 12:55 PM   #5
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
you are being punished for using bluevision
they do nothing but annoy the hell out of other drivers
please cease this practice immediately.
I saw a car the other day that had the annoying blue headlights... and had put in matching blue reversing lights!
TwistedEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 01:02 PM   #6
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

How often are you replacing the globes? i think its a relay issue you have.
Old 20-03-2008, 01:32 PM   #7
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Well, the bluevision globes aren't actually blue, they appear as white instead of the having the yellowish tinge normal globes have. I find the light they give is easier on my eyes and reflects better of reflectors on the lane lines & stuff.

Blueprint - thanks, I was thinking there might be something causing them to go so often, what I probably should do is change them all at once and take note of the date, then every time I change them after that take note and see if its too often.

I was wondering whether maybe I was getting some forms of power spikes killing them, but its only globes going, none of the other electrics seem affected at all, but a relay to the globes would probably explain that. Is there any way to actually test a relay?
Quote:
Old 20-03-2008, 02:09 PM   #8
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Is there any way to actually test a relay?
It's been my experience that relays either work or they don't, however things have probably changed since 1970, lol.

Everything (and more) you ever wanted to know about relays

http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/hweb2.pdf
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 02:11 PM   #9
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwest
It's been my experience that relays either work or they don't, however things have probably changed since 1970, lol.

Everything (and more) you ever wanted to know about relays

http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/hweb2.pdf
LOL, cheers for that, I'll check it out!
Quote:
Old 20-03-2008, 02:20 PM   #10
The Monty
Just slidin'

If you drop your bonnet, you will blow globes constantly. Also if you drive on a lot of bumby roads.
Old 20-03-2008, 02:42 PM   #11
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
If you drop your bonnet, you will blow globes constantly. Also if you drive on a lot of bumby roads.
I'm in Adelaide, there's no such thing as a non-bumpy road!

Those that aren't bumpy are usually closed for roadworks, I think they deliberately make them bumpy if they're too smooth.
Quote:
Old 20-03-2008, 02:48 PM   #12
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

another cause is if your alternator is faulty and upping the voltage even 1/2 a volt over will kill globes more frequently you should be getting 13.8V at the battery terminals at idle but it should not increase much if at all as revs increase

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 03:22 PM   #13
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
I've heard that said about bumpy roads but would have to say it's never been a problem for me (and I've travelled a lot of roads that would kill to be rated "bumpy", lol).

In the last couple of decades my only globe trouble was about 18 months ago when I replaced tail/brake lights (prev mtce) and blew two in quick time. I put it down to the elcheapo no name globes I bought. I replaced them with Hella's and no probs since.
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 04:05 PM   #14
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
another cause is if your alternator is faulty and upping the voltage even 1/2 a volt over will kill globes more frequently you should be getting 13.8V at the battery terminals at idle but it should not increase much if at all as revs increase
Thanks for that one too, dad's got a proper multimeter so I might grab that off him and check that as well as checking the relays.
Quote:
Old 20-03-2008, 04:24 PM   #15
HLC
Audi S3

how often are they blowing?

my dad goes through bluevisions fairly often in his car, (BA2 XR8) whereas ive had no dramas with them in mine, been in there for ages.

they certainly dont last as long as standard globes though.

try Narva Arctic Blue, they are a little less blue/white than the bluevisions, but seem to last longer.
Old 21-03-2008, 10:14 AM   #16
JoesAu

yeah i used to use the cheap blue crap chinese ones but i was spending like 40$ every 2 months, so i have Narva artic blue now there pretty good havent blown
JoesAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2008, 12:19 PM   #17
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I found the same with the Phillips globes ... I went through them often.

Harsh roads will cause shock to the thinner filaments they use ... thus premature failure. I have found both Narva and Hella/Osram globes last a lot longer in the ute. And I drive rough country roads every day with headlights on at all times. And that's with stiff suspension as well.

My narva low beams I replace every 6-9 months (but they are on about 8 hours a day literally every day) ... and my Hella/Osram Ion globes in my fog lights have lasted a few years now ... only replaced one recently (can only get H7 Ion-crystal/yellow globes from the US ... boooo).
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2008, 12:35 PM   #18
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

I was using Supercheap brand ones in my XG ute... and they lasted ages out in the bush... and they were 130w a pop... times 6!
Old 21-03-2008, 02:37 PM   #19
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Hmm, well I've gone out and replaced the ones gone with the same philips bluevision globes, will make a little note as to the date I've done this, and next time they go I'll replace with Narva Arctic Blue and see if they last longer in comparison.

In the meantime I'll also just check my voltages & relays to be on the safe side.
Quote:
Old 21-03-2008, 05:23 PM   #20
stiddy
Banned

Also depends how you put them in, dont touch the actual globe itself, only ever from the base. If you touch the globe/glass.. it will create a heat spot when turned on and blow.
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2008, 10:43 AM   #21
T3man
Banned

I get much longer life from Philips globes than any others. I always try new globes out when they come on to the market to make sure I have the best.

This is what I've found:

Blue Vision, Arctic Blue and any other tinted globe are crap. The light output is lower and they don't show the road lines very well in the wet. If you want coloured globes the yellow are most useful in the wet, but are not as good in fine conditions as you lose some distance.

Narva are crap. They lose their brightness in about 20 hours of use. This is very noticeable with the 100w versions.

Osram can vary - some seem to last a good while when others go off brightness or blow the filament in a short time.

Hella use all different brands (suppliers), and like Osram they can vary a lot in performance so I don't bother with them.

Britax are reasonable for the price but not great. They do seem to last a good while, just not very bright compared to Philips.

Four things that cause premature death of a globe, apart from poor quality:

Handling the glass portion,

Excessive vibration - only a problem generally with add-on lights, not factory headlights,

Incorrect voltage, either too high or too low,

Excessive heat, especially in combination with vibration. Using high power globes in small reflectors is the prime cause.

If you have relays fitted correctly then a voltage spike from the alternator shouldn't really affect the globes as the duration of the spike is usually absorbed by battery and also the "time" it takes for the current to pass through the system and to the globes.

Low voltage is the biggest killer. It causes higher current and therefore higher temperature.

I use mostly Philips "plus" series of globes. I do use high power globes in some of my driving lights. I also use sealed beam "aircraft landing lights" a lot. Even though they don't last as long as a QH globe the fact is that they are cheap, and for the size and cost, there is simply no other light that compares for light output.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2008, 09:57 PM   #22
CMYAU3
Tyre Shredn

man the blue globes r awsome i ve got em.
if there blowing constantly make sure u dont touch the globes when u install them cause the acids on ur fingers eventually make them blow. learnt from experiance :-( $$$
the globe wont blow if u drop ur bonnet to hard or drive over bumps thats just b.s
ive hads these in for a little over six months now still immac. ask your local auto elec if u dont believe me!
CMYAU3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post