Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 23-04-2008, 11:10 PM   #1
302w
AU XR8

Default Diff Chatter After Rebuild

I just had the bearings, seals, oil, etc done on my LSD diff and the diff chatter is worse than before I had it fixed. Does it need a couple of days to settle down?

Cheers.

302w is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2008, 10:02 AM   #2
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I wouldn"t have thought so, maybe 1/2 hour of driving around U turns and the like would have setled it down my guess would be wrong oil and or no additive

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2008, 10:44 AM   #3
howesy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302w
I just had the bearings, seals, oil, etc done on my LSD diff and the diff chatter is worse than before I had it fixed. Does it need a couple of days to settle down?

Cheers.
When mine was re-done it came up trumps. had it done at JMAC Diff & Gear in Arndell Park in Sydney. Couldn't be happier and its done around 35000km. Ran it in as per directions though(100km @60km/h then 500km@80km/h) just went on a couple of big long slow drives.

Liquid Silver Pursuit250

Custom gear and diff ratios
ECU
Exhaust
Crow Comp. Valve springs
Adjust. Rollers
Cold air
howesy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2008, 11:51 AM   #4
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoosha
I wouldn"t have thought so, maybe 1/2 hour of driving around U turns and the like would have setled it down my guess would be wrong oil and or no additive
I'm with you on that Whoosh. Go find a big empty car park and get the LSD working by doing some low speed tight figure 8's. If that doesn't work ask them if they used the right oil and the right additive.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2008, 12:33 PM   #5
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

I'd just make sure the right oil and additive has been used and give it a few k's. You'll just wear the LSD out doing figure eights in an empty car park - as was explained by the guys at Craft Diffs in Granville.
Old 24-04-2008, 12:39 PM   #6
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Horse
I'd just make sure the right oil and additive has been used and give it a few k's. You'll just wear the LSD out doing figure eights in an empty car park - as was explained by the guys at Craft Diffs in Granville.
No wonder we get so confused every Diff place has differant ideas :togo: we were told that low speed figure 8s and slow turns would bed the diff in, carnt see how it would ware it out as thats what there suppoesd to do I would have thought . who knows : : : :
P.S I would give Chriss at blupower a call, his dad is norhern diffs an he will put you straight
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2008, 01:03 PM   #7
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoosha
we were told that low speed figure 8s and slow turns would bed the diff in, carnt see how it would ware it out as thats what there suppoesd to do I would have thought . who knows : : : :
That's what I thought until I asked those guys. : :
Old 24-04-2008, 01:22 PM   #8
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Bloody diff shops. I've even been told by a bloke that used to work at Ford that is what to do (figure 8's) after you change the oil.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2008, 07:59 PM   #9
302w
AU XR8

I was told the same thing, do figure 8's and donuts in a carpark, it's getting better but still clunks and chatters at low speed.

Diff place said they put in Penrite LIMSLIP 90 with Ford Motorsport addative and to give it a week, if it doesn't settle they will change the oil/addative to Castrol with Sturaco addative.
302w is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2008, 11:37 PM   #10
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning 

How many figure 8's would you have to do before wearing out a the cones? me thinks a freaking lot, all though i will point out that you should not be doing them under load, when you put engine power down it pushes the cones outwards and increases the load, the should be nice slow figure 8's and yep its a correct procedure to bed in the cones.
5.0 ED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post