Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-06-2008, 11:43 AM   #1
Nickxb
XB in progress

Default hyundai i30

Hey guys

I am looking at getting my partner a new car.

I have been looking at the hyundai i30 as well as ford fiesta or a used focus.

The i30 looks like its the stand out from the rest of the pac. Its a 2L with loads of goodies and looks better that the festie and focus (base models).

Just wondering if anyone has one and wants to comment on likes and dislikes of the i30?

Also if anyone has any insite into whether it would be better to go with the 1.6 TD version?

My olds had a excel a few years back and i hated it. It was very poorly made and that makes me unsure about another hyundai.

We are going test driving this Sat.

Thanks

Nick

Nickxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2008, 11:51 AM   #2
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

well from a technical stand point and according to the most recent John Mellors Go-Auto news (03/06/08), they are the first Korean car to score a 5 star ANCAP rating.

Latest edition:
http://www.mellor.net/mellor/mellorw...oAuto%20e-News

Back issues:
http://www.mellor.net/mellor/mellorw.../Back%20Issues

T
Old 10-06-2008, 11:51 AM   #3
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

I'm at the same stage myself, looking at trading the Mrs 2002 Astina for something similar. Whilst I still struggle with the idea of a good Korean car all reports are the i30 is it and the Koreans have arrived.

The diesel seems to be the one recommended by all reviews I have read and is one of the factors we were looking for, trying out a modern diesel hatch, though the recent price discrepancy with petrol isn't encouraging. The payback vs petrol should still come in under 5 years if the claimed 4.7l/100km of the diesel is anywhere near the mark. We commute together 3 days of the week and the Territory will probably be parked up in preference to this to reduce our overall fuel bill.

The TDCi Focus is also still on the short list but the i30 is the newer vehicle and comes very well specced. I am yet to drive either and that'll probably be the decider.

Good luck with your decision.

PS. If we go with this it'll be referred to as an i30, leaving those that don't know to wonder. The Hyundai word will never be mentioned ;)

Last edited by Raptor; 10-06-2008 at 11:56 AM.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2008, 11:53 AM   #4
WindsorXR
FGII XR6, Focus Sport, XR

My dislike of the i30 is that before that it says Hyundai!!

I'd have to say that of the few cars that I have driven the Focus handles very well for a front wheel drive and the Fiesta has some tough look about it with the sports models. I've had an XR4 Fiesta just over 200kms/h. LEGALLY i must add! And i think it handled quite well. Don't think your misses will be doing that but it's a nice car.
The i30 looks OK. It has ESC, but I'm unsure of what the quality will be like.

I'm also trying to get my misses to get rid of her '94 Mazda 121 and get a Fiesta 5dr Zetec. She can only drive Auto and the fiesta comes with dual airbags.

Hope this helps

2011 Purple FGII XR6
2016 LZ Focus Sport

BA XR8 Build Thread (SOLD)
1966 XR Falcon Build Thread
WindsorXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2008, 11:57 AM   #5
Nickxb
XB in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsMyUserName
I've had an XR4 Fiesta just over 200kms/h. LEGALLY i must add! And i think it handled quite well. Don't think your misses will be doing that but it's a nice car.
I bloody hope not :eclipsee_

Thanks for the replies guys

I guess the only way to tell is how it drives.

I will let everyone know come Sat

Quote:
My dislike of the i30 is that before that it says Hyundai!!
Agreed.....
Old 10-06-2008, 12:01 PM   #6
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

id much rather go for an Xr4 but at almost 30k they aint cheap for a little car. maybe just a norm fiesta, or a mazda 3 - even the suzuki swifts look pretty good in my book although ive never driven any of them. I hate the i30's.. wish they were bmw's
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2008, 12:23 PM   #7
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

i sat in many Hyundai's at the Perth Motorshow a few weeks ago. My first impressions were that Hyundai (like Ford) have worked hard to improve their image, reputation and build quality.

I was quietly impressed at the time especially compared to many other brands on the floor of comparitive market level

T
Old 10-06-2008, 12:31 PM   #8
Kryton

Hyundai have come a looooooong way since they first arrived.
i would seriously look at the i30 Diesel.
give one a drive.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2008, 12:40 PM   #9
Nickxb
XB in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
id much rather go for an Xr4 but at almost 30k they aint cheap for a little car. maybe just a norm fiesta, or a mazda 3 - even the suzuki swifts look pretty good in my book although ive never driven any of them. I hate the i30's.. wish they were bmw's
I wouldnt mind an XR4 either however this will be the misses run around car...

We are looking at spending about 20K and she prefers new over second hand.

I would love to get a Mazda 3 but a little out of budget.

I30 do look like BMW's dont they. What if i relaced the Hyundai badge with a BMW one...... :
Old 10-06-2008, 12:42 PM   #10
WindsorXR
FGII XR6, Focus Sport, XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
id much rather go for an Xr4 but at almost 30k they aint cheap for a little car. maybe just a norm fiesta, or a mazda 3 - even the suzuki swifts look pretty good in my book although ive never driven any of them.

Mazda 3's are pretty nice as well.
My brother works at a Suzuki dealership as a mechanic and said that the swifts look nice but they lack in performance and handling. Thats what I've been told anyway.
Have you thought of the new Mondeo?? A bit bigger for family, nice car the only bad thing is the price!

I'd say to take a weekend off with the misses and just go nuts. Go to every type of dealership in the area and make them trade off between each other and test drive all the small type cars on offer.

My bad, hadn't seen your above post yet.

2011 Purple FGII XR6
2016 LZ Focus Sport

BA XR8 Build Thread (SOLD)
1966 XR Falcon Build Thread
WindsorXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2008, 12:45 PM   #11
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickxb
I wouldnt mind an XR4 either however this will be the misses run around car...

We are looking at spending about 20K and she prefers new over second hand.

I would love to get a Mazda 3 but a little out of budget.

I30 do look like BMW's dont they. What if i relaced the Hyundai badge with a BMW one...... :
if you did that and had a crash insurance wouldnt pay out as it would be fraudulant lol
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2008, 12:59 PM   #12
Rob
Living the dream

I used to work for Chrysler, our dealership was partnered with Hyundai - I can tell you now, most of the modern (2002 onwards) Hyundai's are of very good quality. They've improved hugely since the cheap and nasty Excel days. I was pretty uninterested when I was told that we'd use Getz/Accents as runabouts, but damn they impressed me after a drive.

The Getz is a ripper, and so is the new Accent. Great cars for the money, reliable and frugal.

I'd expect no less from the i30.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2008, 02:24 PM   #13
Nickxb
XB in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
if you did that and had a crash insurance wouldnt pay out as it would be fraudulant lol
Doesnt help that i work for an insurance company......
Old 10-06-2008, 02:29 PM   #14
Nickxb
XB in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
I used to work for Chrysler, our dealership was partnered with Hyundai - I can tell you now, most of the modern (2002 onwards) Hyundai's are of very good quality. They've improved hugely since the cheap and nasty Excel days. I was pretty uninterested when I was told that we'd use Getz/Accents as runabouts, but damn they impressed me after a drive.

The Getz is a ripper, and so is the new Accent. Great cars for the money, reliable and frugal.

I'd expect no less from the i30.
Thanks for your post, very reassuring.

Like i said my biggest concern was quality from previous experience. The impressive part about the I30 is the price. 20K for a 2L (or 1.6TD) hatch with great saftey.

Nick
Old 10-06-2008, 02:45 PM   #15
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Thanks for your post, very reassuring.

Like i said my biggest concern was quality from previous experience. The impressive part about the I30 is the price. 20K for a 2L (or 1.6TD) hatch with great saftey.

Nick
That price range is probably due to the fact you are not buying a 'brand named' car. I dont see much wrong if anything with the late model Hyundai's as a good daily car. You shouldnt have any more issues than Corolla IMHO. I think the i30 is better built than a late model Holden Barina....yuk (rebadged Daewoo).

Give the car a go. Check out the warranties, look at all the inclusions, drive it and throw the Hyundai badge out of your mind and see how it appeals to you and your mrs as the drivers and as a driving car. Thats what will make your decision I believe.

An experienced personal perception of what the car IS as a package when you drive it will help you choose.

Good luck with it.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2008, 02:51 PM   #16
BAxtER
ive been 4490'd

my girlfriends parents have an i30 diesel..ive driven it and its a great little car. I would definatly recommend you take one for a test drive!
www.taipanmotorsport.com.au
BAxtER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2008, 02:52 PM   #17
Nickxb
XB in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAxtER
my girlfriends parents have an i30 diesel..ive driven it and its a great little car. I would definatly recommend you take one for a test drive!
Will do, Whats the fuel consumption like? is it anywhere near the 4.7L/100K they advertise?
Old 10-06-2008, 03:07 PM   #18
BAxtER
ive been 4490'd

Quote:
Will do, Whats the fuel consumption like? is it anywhere near the 4.7L/100K they advertise?
when i was driving it..pretty sure it was hovering around the 5.2 mark....but i was giving it the necessary cobweb clean it deserved :P
www.taipanmotorsport.com.au
BAxtER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2008, 03:12 PM   #19
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

Hmm I'm in the same boat... looking for a car for the woman myself right now. We tried the corolla... she didn't like it because she felt 'too low' in the seat, and I agreed. Even when I put the seat at max height I still felt like the dashboard was trying to swallow me. I also found the manual transmission to be awful - half the time you can't tell what bloody gear you're in!

We're test driving a Focus hatch in the next couple of days... my girl liked the look and feel of it just sitting in at the dealership, and I thought at first glance it was ok.

I want to test drive the i30 but I don't think I can bring myself to buying one!
Old 10-06-2008, 05:39 PM   #20
loltastic
Banned

Re: Quality. Fifth gear did a review on the I30 in the last season. Tom Ford said the interior plastics were some of the best in any car he'd seen. No hard plastics, but soft to the touch. Hyundai have come a long way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeCGNOuWi_E
loltastic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2008, 05:41 PM   #21
XWGT