Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-06-2008, 01:05 PM   #1
The Mighty Red

Default Dealers sticker price

I have found the car I want , its the right colour inside and out has all the options i want ,its in great condition 2004 very low km.....so how much profit has the dealer got on the sticker price??.

Its on the lot for $27999 .........i went to look at when they were closed last thursady and it really does look to be in as new cond........I rang them the following day told the salesman I had looked at it late yesterday (friday)and then offered him $24000 which he rejected with a laugh and said he couldnt even go to his boss with that price so I have come up to $25000 which I told him was my limit ......he said he would get back to me tomorrow (saturday) ....I havent heard from him yet, now the problem is ,I do want the car but I also want the best deal for me.....So is he playing the waiting game to see if I will call him first or is he selling that many cars that he's not bothered??...I am off work today with the weather and would love to go down to the dealership and do a deal but I fear if I do that he will think he;s got me and try to get me to sign top dollar.

Is $25000 a fair price on a $27999 sticker price with a 3 month stat warranty or am I trying to get to much off the price?

Old 10-06-2008, 01:12 PM   #2
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

does it really matter if you go down there. You have already stated that 25k was your price firm. If he trieds 26,500 just say. 25k. he says 26k. say 25k. he will get annoyed and go listen here bub. this car is almost brand new with this that and this. say 25k. if he still refuses walk out. come back the next day and say that you have been able to put another $500 on. will he do it right then and there on the spot.

sounds like a plan!
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2008, 01:13 PM   #3
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

Sounds reasonable... My mother bought a BA II Futurawagon, low k's, immaculate etc from a Ford dealer last week, sticker was $23k, got it for 18 with 12mths rego and a couple of other bits and pieces... They build a fair bit of fat in to the prices. Go to www.redbook.com.au for an indication of what the dealership actually paid for it...

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2008, 01:16 PM   #4
The Mighty Red

WOW $5k of the sticker price GM , If your mum can that much surely $3k on $28000 would seem fair.......
Old 10-06-2008, 01:25 PM   #5
The Mighty Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
does it really matter if you go down there. You have already stated that 25k was your price firm. If he trieds 26,500 just say. 25k. he says 26k. say 25k. he will get annoyed and go listen here bub. this car is almost brand new with this that and this. say 25k. if he still refuses walk out. come back the next day and say that you have been able to put another $500 on. will he do it right then and there on the spot.

sounds like a plan!
Another $500 would be my absolute max ok but I fear if I go to him after he said he would call me I am sending out the wrong signals and he will try to stitch me right up.......
Old 10-06-2008, 01:31 PM   #6
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Be nice if you told us what the car was and its details so we can ascertain whether $25k is a good price.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2008, 01:37 PM   #7
The Mighty Red

It s a 2004 Ford Explorer 4x4 4.6L V8 5 speed Auto in immaculate cond with 49,000ks
Old 10-06-2008, 01:37 PM   #8
fantasyxr6turbo
It gos and it glows

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mighty Red
WOW $5k of the sticker price GM , If your mum can that much surely $3k on $28000 would seem fair.......
But $23k for a BA wagon is a bit steep to start with isn't it?
fantasyxr6turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2008, 01:38 PM   #9
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It doesnt matter what he does, ignore all of his salesman mumbo jumbo. He wants to sell the car, no matter what(within reason) and i dont think he would risk the commision to sell it for another couple of hundred a few months down the track because he has no way of guarenteeing it will sell any time soon. Your not risking anything, He is risking everything - remember that
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2008, 01:51 PM   #10
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

most salesmans comissions are based on profit levels, he may not even be interested in selling it if it close to cost price

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2008, 01:57 PM   #11
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyxr6turbo
But $23k for a BA wagon is a bit steep to start with isn't it?
Yep. Total rip.

You can get a 2006 BF Futura wagon with less than 25,000kms and more than 12 months factory waranty for that price.

Like this one:

BF Futura Wagon

July 06 build. 23,500kms. Asking $23,990. No doubt $22000-$23,000 would see you drive it away.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2008, 02:01 PM   #12
The Mighty Red

the sticker price is in line with other Explorers I have seen on the net, If it was a Limited with full leather etc i would expect it to have a sticker price in the low 30,s.....

i guess what I am trying to find out is what his sell price is without walking into the dealership....I should of asked him what WILL he sell it to me for when i was on the phone to him but I wasnt sharp enough in the conversation

There are two other Explorers I'm looking at , one $28999 which is a Limited and another XLT for $25000 but both have more k's on them ......I dont buy cars everyday so i am just trying to get a bit of insight to how the salesman might be thinking , I have only ever bought 4 cars from dealers and payed the sticker price twice both times because the salesman new I was hooked and was going to buy the car even if he put the price up.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:02 PM   #13
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

I put the $5k down to my awesome negotiation skills...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacus
Yep. Total rip.

Correct, the price was obviously hugely optimistic... I think even $18k is a touch steep - Car only has 40,000k's on the clock though, and a few options. I just felt it was better for her to buy from a dealer, the Ford warranty saved my bum with the FBT (gearbox blowup a week after I picked it up)...

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2008, 02:10 PM   #14
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Sorry. I thought The Might Red as talking about a BA wagon.

Didn't notice it was an Explorer.

In which case I have no idea as to pricing.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:15 PM   #15
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Mighty Red, I recently got about 3 and a half grand off the sticker price on my car. But I had to go up 1,500 also to strike the deal. So without knowing wholesale and reatil values of Ford Explorers, I think that your offer is fair.

Also, the saleman is probably playing games with you, making you wait then jump in proce just to want the car. Remember that. From what I've been told ( a mate used to work in used cars) profits on each car vary between 2,500 to 5,000 in some cars. It all deoends on what they paid for them.

Stick to you guns, in the end the guy has to make a call as to risk the sale or not.

Also, where in the Sunny Coast are you looking? A Ford dealer?
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2008, 03:15 PM   #16
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Explorers dont exactly fly off the lot, you should be able to negotiate a heap off it. Theres still the odd demo one in some dealer lots.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:25 PM   #17
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Send a fax to them with your initial offer on the vehicle saying 'take it or leave it'.

Theres a few on carsales around that price (with a little more Kms) so I would stick to your budget.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:26 PM   #18
The Mighty Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Boss260

Stick to you guns, in the end the guy has to make a call as to risk the sale or not.

Also, where in the Sunny Coast are you looking? A Ford dealer?
thanks for the advice , A brisbane dealer, ..yeah I'll wait a bit longer , the other Explorer which is at a different Ford dealership is $23k drive away maybe I should look at that one a bit harder
Old 10-06-2008, 03:29 PM   #19
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
Send a fax to them with your initial offer on the vehicle saying 'take it or leave it'.
there's no need to be a pr*ck about it. There are ways to haggle the price without being arrogant about it.

Remember that whilst you're right in saying that they do get profit etc, it's not as if you sending a fax saying Take it or leave it is going to make him want to come to the table with you.

If i was a salesman and i got that kind of fax i wouldnt be keen to help you out
Old 10-06-2008, 03:30 PM   #20
The Mighty Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
Explorers dont exactly fly off the lot, you should be able to negotiate a heap off it. Theres still the odd demo one in some dealer lots.
Well the salesman hasnt rang me back so there;s nothing to negotiate atm...but yeah they are a fairly unloved vehicle .....
Old 10-06-2008, 03:37 PM   #21
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive known of quite a few people where the fax method has worked. Basically saying I have this much to spend, I want this particular vehicle, what can you do for me etc etc.

When they know what you want and are serious, especially on a vehicle that has probably been sitting on the lot for months and with the petrol price how it is, they should be keen to get rid of it.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:41 PM   #22
Tobey
BF Ute...

Just ring him and ask him what is going on. Don't sound keen, just say something along the lines of, "Im looking at another one and need to know if you accept my offer or not." If he says no, then just say OK, thanks, you may get a call later that day if he is keen, otherwise just look for another one. Don't pay more than you think its worth, otherwise you will regret it.
Tobey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2008, 03:43 PM   #23
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Boss260
Also, the saleman is probably playing games with you, making you wait then jump in proce just to want the car. Remember that. From what I've been told ( a mate used to work in used cars) profits on each car vary between 2,500 to 5,000 in some cars. It all deoends on what they paid for them.
That's asking prices. Not what they get.

The industry average gross margin on used vehicles is about 7%. Any less than that and they pretty much can't keep their doors open.

But yes, it varies from car to car. Some mug might pay $4,000 above the right price for a car. The next car might have to be wholesaled at a loss. It's swings and roundabouts, and affected by the fact that any two identical cars they buy will likely be purchased at different prices.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:56 PM   #24
The Mighty Red

HERE'S A TIP TO ANYONE IN THE MARKET FOR A USED FORD , WHEN YOU ARE CONSIDERING BUYING FROM A FORD DEALER LIKE i AM...
DO NOT BLURT ALL THE DETAILS OVER A PUBLIC FORD FORUM, ESPECIALLY WHEN IT IS A RARE VEHICLE..

I rang the salesman back late this afternoon and I can catergorically state right here and now that he has read this thread!

he told me fairly abruptly after crapping on whether the $25k I offered was drive away or not that the price was $27999 and if I wanted to buy it thats what I would have to pay...........
I am f*cking fuming with this guy.....he gone from getting back to me with an offer of $25k five days ago to being almost rude in his brush off and telling me I will have to pay sticker price.........

The good news is I wouldnt buy the f*cking car from him now if he gave me the price I wanted and a free 5 yr warranty , lesson learnt .
Old 10-06-2008, 07:13 PM   #25
Abacus
Life's a Gas

That strange. There's nothing in this thread that should have offended him. It's not as though anybody dumped on him.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:15 PM   #26
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

definately read the thread then, what a w@nk.
fordomatic is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2008, 07:23 PM   #27
lowriding
interloper

must have got him on a bad day or he sees a weakness and is playing you . $25k would be very doable i would think , that car in Todays sales environment will die on the lot if they wont discount,most likely got it as a trade around the 22 mark or would owe them something around that. expect big further depreciation too on an explorer.
lowriding is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2008, 07:23 PM   #28
The Mighty Red

well i spoke to him on three different occasions and every time I was amicable, never rude or pushy and he has treated me in the end like a piece of
Old 10-06-2008, 07:43 PM   #29
The Mighty Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowriding
must have got him on a bad day or he sees a weakness and is playing you . $25k would be very doable i would think , that car in Todays sales environment will die on the lot if they wont discount,most likely got it as a trade around the 22 mark or would owe them something around that. expect big further depreciation too on an explorer.
I'm prepared to take the hit on depreciation, I am plannning to have the car for the long haul....the bad news is I am ready to buy Right Now, I found the right car only to get dicked around .........the good news , Explorers might be rare compared to Territory's but I Will find the right one at the right price..

the good news...... Ross has got Zero chance of getting my money!!...........
Old 10-06-2008, 08:06 PM   #30
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Well you haven't named and shamed them, you've just asked for advice on here. If they won't budge on the sticker price, then they don't deserve your business. Plain and simple. If the saleman has time to read this during the day, then he musn't be busy selling cars.....
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post