Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-07-2008, 07:35 PM   #1
H4ZE
Cannonballin'.

Default Another shed story.

It was one of those famous shed finds that you hear about and wonder if the person behind the story was full of it. But I experienced it with my own eyes.
I came across this find after visiting a farm in the area that I grew up in. The old bloke started with the "You like yer old cars, don't ya? Come and have a look at what I've got up in me shed. I reckon it'll be right up yer alley." I wasn't sure what to expect- I didnt ask what sort of car it was in case I fainted before getting to see it. Please be a Ford, I silently begged... Or at least something special from the Holden or Mopar stable.
The shed was like any other- rusty corrugated iron, holes in the roof. Surely anything kept in this tomb would look as bad as this shed. The heart sank a bit.
Then he threw open the door. I was speechless.
It was covered by half a dozen blankets, but the back rear corner was uncovered, revealing a big, round red 'rocket booster' tail light. And If I couldn't tell what make and model of car it was, the sheer size of it would have given it away.
A one-owner 1960 Ford Fairlane 500. More affectionately known as a 'Tank' Fairlane.
"Go on, mate- pull the covers off" was the instruction- I had the first two off before he had finished his sentence.
Beautiful... Imaculate... sprang to mind. and when I ran a shirt sleeve over one of the door windows, the interior echoed the same thoughts. No rips or tears, nothing faded, Almost looked as if no one had ever sat in it. The only worry I had was when I flipped the bonnet forward, and found the radiator missing. "It's in the boot." was the reply. Apparently it runs like a Swiss watch, and I believe after a roof-to-tyre detailing would come up a million bucks.
My first question was obvious... would he ever sell it?
The response was surprising- "That's what I bought you down here, you daft bugger. I 'aven't got much use for it here, and there's better things it could be doing than sittin' here"
This is where I need help. I'm looking for anyone who owns (or knows someone who does) one of these big, beautiful cars. The internet only tells you so much, and in YouTube's case, shows you so much. I need to gather as much information as I can, and if I'm pleased with the what I can gather up in terms of availability of spares and proud owners... There might be a new addition to my garage.

Hope you liked my story. Here's to shed finds!

Sold: 1991 LTD
H4ZE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2008, 07:39 PM   #2
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Pics! Pics! For the love of god where are the pics!!???

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2008, 07:44 PM   #3
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Yes get some pics up we wanna see it
Old 09-07-2008, 07:48 PM   #4
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Pics!! Now!!!!
Old 09-07-2008, 07:51 PM   #5
bob 351
MIGHTY MAGPIES 2010

Location: yarram se vic in the shed listening to pinkfloyd and rubbing panels

seriously mate you realy dont want it its a tank fairlane a gas gussler so my advice to you is i will pm you my phone number and let me deal with it only good for scrap metal

but on the other hand we want pics nice find mate well done dont pass up an oppurtunity like this beautiful old car
bob 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2008, 08:01 PM   #6
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

dont you just love it when you get a day like that.
i bet your head has been in a spin .
has he put a price on it or is he asking you to make an offer?

i dont know too much about the Tank Fairlain but you still see the odd one getting about. would make a great cruiser. parts would probably be available from the states or the latter Galaxy drive train parts might fit.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2008, 08:06 PM   #7
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Buy it first, ask questions later.

Go...go on...now..

You still here ? someone may get it hurry up !
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2008, 08:08 PM   #8
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Gonna have to pony up the pics if you want anything from the masses.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2008, 09:02 PM   #9
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Are you daft

I don't believe that you are asking questions.

That car should be sitting in your garage right NOW
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2008, 09:43 PM   #10
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by H4ZE
It was one of those famous shed finds that you hear about and wonder if the person behind the story was full of it. But I experienced it with my own eyes.
I came across this find after visiting a farm in the area that I grew up in. The old bloke started with the "You like yer old cars, don't ya? Come and have a look at what I've got up in me shed. I reckon it'll be right up yer alley." I wasn't sure what to expect- I didnt ask what sort of car it was in case I fainted before getting to see it. Please be a Ford, I silently begged... Or at least something special from the Holden or Mopar stable.
The shed was like any other- rusty corrugated iron, holes in the roof. Surely anything kept in this tomb would look as bad as this shed. The heart sank a bit.
It was covered by half a dozen blankets, but the back rear corner was uncovered, revealing a big, round red 'rocket booster' tail light. And If I couldn't tell what make and model of car it was, the sheer size of it would have given it away.
A one-owner 1960 Ford Fairlane 500. More affectionately known as a 'Tank' Fairlane.
"Go on, mate- pull the covers off" was the instruction- I had the first two off before he had finished his sentence.
Beautiful... Imaculate... sprang to mind. and when I ran a shirt sleeve over one of the door windows, the interior echoed the same thoughts. No rips or tears, nothing faded, Almost looked as if no one had ever sat in it. The only worry I had was when I flipped the bonnet forward, and found the radiator missing. "It's in the boot." was the reply. Apparently it runs like a Swiss watch, and I believe after a roof-to-tyre detailing would come up a million bucks.
The response was surprising- "That's what I bought you down here, you daft bugger. I 'aven't got much use for it here, and there's better things it could be doing than sittin' here"
This is where I need help. I'm looking for anyone who owns (or knows someone who does) one of these big, beautiful cars. The internet only tells you so much, and in YouTube's case, shows you so much. I need to gather as much information as I can, and if I'm pleased with the what I can gather up in terms of availability of spares and proud owners... There might be a new addition to my garage.

Parts are easy to get for Tanks. Most parts are repoed in the US. Buy it you or you will forever regret.

Steve
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2008, 09:49 PM   #11
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

But it or you will be systematically slapped by each and every member here....twice.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2008, 10:03 PM   #12
blownba
LPG Forum Moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all his assistance helping members with their LPG issues. 

You would have to be one of the luckiest guys around.
Mate you do not smack a gift horse in the mounth, BUY IT!!!!!!
Or I'm sure the AFF posse will hunt you down!!!

PICS NOW PLEASE!~!!!!

blownba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2008, 11:42 PM   #13
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Why are you asking stupid questions???

BUY THE DAMN THING!!!!
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2008, 08:15 AM   #14
Ringo
I see you....

Hot Rod magazines are full of ads for hard to find stuff and suppliers.

Also I think you may becom a swap meet regular from now on hunting bits.

Having said that where are the pic's ?

I sugges a boycott of this thread until pics are provided

A - to prove this isn't just a story
B - for us to drool over and dream was ours instead of yours...
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2008, 09:40 AM   #15
TOASTED
JMM modded EF

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51RTE
Yes get some pics up we wanna see it
Better do as he says.....

Guess the alcohol tax is turning people to mind altering drugs.
I drive : A heavily modified EF Fairmont with a JMM dev5 cam, worked head, 3.5" mandrel bent intake, exhaust, and a few other bits n pieces like a stally etc.

"She goes like a zirtek"

WANT A FAST FORD RING THIS BLOKE V V

Abbott Engines for HeadWork
20 years experience
PH Rob on (07) 5526 3883
TOASTED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2008, 09:46 AM   #16
89.SVO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by H4ZE

BEN you will buy this car. or i will personally pimp slap you the next time your in Bendigo. remember my pimp hand is strong, real strong
89.SVO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2008, 09:50 AM   #17
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mate sounds like a real nice car. What sort of money is he asking?

pics pics pics

so when does it arrive?

Twin Horns 8-9/74 and lower horn dated 7-8/74, GT hubcaps. GT aircleaner. Please pm me if you can help
xe351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2008, 10:39 AM   #18
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Nice find mate..... As per every other single post in here, buy now talk later!!!!

Make sure you get us some pics though!!!
Old 10-07-2008, 10:45 AM   #19
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigosmoddedEF
Better do as he says.....
Smart one arent you :togo: one more!
Old 10-07-2008, 11:05 AM   #20
dave289
Banned

I hope one day some old granny invites to her shed to tell me under the covers is an old car my husband owned since new but never really used and has since passed away.I have no use for it and you can have it for a few thousand dollars only to peel of the covers to find an immaculate phase 3 burried underneath.well a man can dream can he.
dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2008, 11:31 AM   #21
JPDyno

If it is that immaculate mate, you shouldn't need many spares.

Buy it.
Buy it now.
JPDyno is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2008, 12:17 PM   #22
H4ZE
Cannonballin'.

Phew! what a response.
Trust me, if I knew what I was in for that day I would not have just packed a camera, but hired a small camera crew and made a reality TV series out of this. You will see pics in the coming weeks- once it is safely on a tandem trailer bound for my house.

I will be keeping the car's location and asking price a secret... Not that I don't trust anyone that might stooge me out of a deal of a lifetime. That said, anyone wanna buy a BA FMG?
Old 10-07-2008, 12:27 PM   #23
Wally
XP Coupe

So what's it worth..... $20k?
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2008, 04:30 PM   #24
prydey
Rob

how much you want for your ba ghia? 10k would see it in my carport!
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2008, 05:58 PM   #25
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

You better own this by now boy!!!
Old 10-07-2008, 06:21 PM   #26
H4ZE
Cannonballin'.

The BA's up for sale at $19K (ono) as is with everything in my sig, as well as 12 months rego. A more detailed listing will be in the For Sale area shortly. Any queries can be discussed via PM.