Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-12-2008, 08:32 PM   #1
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Default Qld rego rise

Sorry if this has been posted already but I just seen it on the news. Apparently there is blackhole in the budget.... Why not jack up rego prices to fix it : Because I own a v8 its another $94 a year for me, I think 6cyl was $46 something more and 4 bangers were $36. I wouldnt mind so much if it was going to be used to actually fix roads instead of saying the roads are being worked on but to just fix a hole in the budget.....

cheers
Luke

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.

Last edited by kenz; 09-12-2008 at 08:40 PM.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2008, 08:35 PM   #2
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Ha. That would be right.

Instead of charging us more, how about charging pushbike riders a fee to ride on the roads.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2008, 08:44 PM   #3
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
Ha. That would be right.

Instead of charging us more, how about charging pushbike riders a fee to ride on the roads.
Or riding in the middle of the road like they do around Redcliffe, tempted to run them over. I just got my rego but i think i escaped the rise
Old 09-12-2008, 08:51 PM   #4
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

What irks me is that they ride on the road with the attitude of "I have every right to be here", but most still feel the need to run red lights and lane split (which is illegal on a motorbike, so why not a pushbike?).

But I digress.

Oo\===/oO
Old 09-12-2008, 08:58 PM   #5
Karnage
Finger Painter

Yeah its great isn't it! Despite the fact rego only just crept up My F truck rego was $48 dearer after getting cheaper third party so in twelve months my rego goes from

$802 to $944 17% rise...sorry how much was CPI?

What I love is the moronic justification that v8 = worse for the environment hence sliding scale on increases, then on the other hand cut rebates for water saving measures.

A BIG CLAP to the treasurer (QLD) who explained that these economic measures were to ensure there will be job creation and stop Australia going into recession. Hint some in state parliment cant stop global economic issues, and how exactly does charging people more for the privilige of owning a car to get to work (or keep a business running) going to help.

What taxes charges are there exactly on owning luxury yachts? or other LUXURY ONLY items?
Karnage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2008, 09:05 PM   #6
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

They start on the 1st of july 2009 i believe...

Not that happy but what can you do.. It would be alright if they went up by the same percentage regardless of engine size, but yet again the so called rich have been hit harder again... My V8 is alot better for the environment then alot of old 4 bangers we see floating around blowing blue smoke, yet i pay double to drive it..

Hip hip horray, labour sucks.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2008, 09:12 PM   #7
Scareybear
GRRRR.....

Anna Bligh couldn't organise a p1s5 up in a brewery.
Can't wait for the next election. (first time I've said that...)

If you sneeze with your eyes open, do your eyes pop out??
Scareybear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2008, 09:12 PM   #8
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Well If it starts then I can get mine paid before it goes up hopefully. Apparently they will be making up new taxes for next year aswell.... before they lose the election I would imagine

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Old 09-12-2008, 09:14 PM   #9
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scareybear
Can't wait for the next election. (first time I've said that...)
God that has to be soon, surely.

Oo\===/oO
Old 09-12-2008, 09:21 PM   #10
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

they will still get in... Labour = christmas bonus's for the poor... they wont forget it now.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2008, 09:40 PM   #11
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeh with a bit of luck resistance will be futile.....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2008, 09:42 PM   #12
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Quote:
September 09

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Old 09-12-2008, 09:50 PM   #13
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

MOTORISTS will be slugged by up to $94 extra in car registration fees as part of Treasurer Andrew Fraser's plan to keep Queensland's budget in the black.

In its major economic statement released today, the Government has revealed registration renewal will increase by about 6.5 per cent on average from July 1, 2009, providing an additional $194 million.

The extra impost will mean a four cylinder vehicle registration will increase from $556.80 to $592.80 while six cylinder registration will jump from $674.15 to $741.35. Rego for V8s will rise from $808.60 to $902.65.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:01 PM   #14
BIGJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Might I just torment ya's a little.
Got my rego renewal last friday. 12months just under $220 for the V8 Bmw.
I love that side of bein in Nz.
BIGJB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2008, 10:05 PM   #15
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

I'll kill you John....don't think I won't do it either............

Oo\===/oO
Old 09-12-2008, 10:06 PM   #16
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99GHIA
Might I just torment ya's a little.
Got my rego renewal last friday. 12months just under $220 for the V8 Bmw.
I love that side of bein in Nz.
So fuel's still like $2.00/L then? lol

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Old 09-12-2008, 10:12 PM   #17
BIGJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'll kill you John....don't think I won't do it either............
Knew that would get a bite. Oh and full comp insuance only $460 a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenz
So fuel's still like $2.00/L then? lol
Nah it's only $1.46 and when ya consider its only about 700klm from 1 end north island
to the other who cares. Even at $2 its still only a tank of juice each way.

Try doin that in Ozzy.
BIGJB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2008, 10:12 PM   #18
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
MOTORISTS will be slugged by up to $94 extra in car registration fees as part of Treasurer Andrew Fraser's plan to keep Queensland's budget in the black.

In its major economic statement released today, the Government has revealed registration renewal will increase by about 6.5 per cent on average from July 1, 2009, providing an additional $194 million.

The extra impost will mean a four cylinder vehicle registration will increase from $556.80 to $592.80 while six cylinder registration will jump from $674.15 to $741.35. Rego for V8s will rise from $808.60 to $902.65.
I was told about 10% of Qld drivers are either unregistered and or unlicensed
I am willing to bet the percentage will skyrocket .
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2008, 10:47 PM   #19
2fishingdogs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Captain Bligh and her shipmates need a bit of a kick is the a55. First the power is going up then the rego what NEXT? Pitty the opposition isn't in a positon to challange just yet. But depends how long till she calls the next election.

2004 BA MKI Tradesman Ute 1 tonner in Vibe
Tinted windows, Alloy scuff plates.
The rest is still stock as a rock
www.bseries.com.au/2fishingdogs

2fishingdogs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2008, 11:09 PM   #20
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there are simple solutions but in this country we dont know what "civil disobedience" is. all road users stop paying fines and rego's. simple. and everyone go park your car in front of her office and say the cars are not moving until she stops using motorists as a cash cow. dont take her lip service when she says she will look into it. say your not moving. im sure something will get done.

look at thailand. they wanted the president out. they shutdown all the airports. they just sat there.

civil disobedience is really the only way sometimes. thats the only way they will listen. and because we dont do anything about it and state govt's know that, they'll just keep jacking fees up.
ltd_on20s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2008, 11:20 PM   #21
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

Who cares, its not a massive increase and if you see the budget you will see why. Its called an economic downturn and governments are just as exposed to it as everyone else in the world. A lot of their revenue comes from duties and taxes from things like property or cars. If people stop buying (to save money) it ends up in situations like this.The money has to come from somewhere and well if I have to pay an extra 69 cents a week to rego my car then so be it.

People are complaining like its going to break their bank... if your budget can be broken by what amounts to at least 69 cents and at most $1.80 a week then you have serious issues with income. I'd wager that v8 owners don't care much about the cost associated with their vehicle because they like them and if you can afford to fuel and maintain an 8 then an extra $1.80 probably ain't going to kill you.

Jeez. $1.80 doesn't even buy you a bag of lollies these days and I don't know what you can buy with 69 cents!

Having said all this, if I were the government I would've spread the increases over a number of different things. Although if nothing had been said by the government OR the media I seriously doubt too many people would notice the rego rise (and btw rego hasn't risen much for a long time, CTP is what makes up most of the price of vehicle rego in QLD).
Old 09-12-2008, 11:25 PM   #22
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is what you get when Labor is in power. They spend more than they get in so what is next.... Tax increases, in your case its rego. Im Just waiting for the tax increases in Victoria to pay for this $38 billion road yet to be broken promise or backflip to introduce more tolls!!! In the case for Victoria i smell an election coming soon.
joolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2008, 12:16 AM   #23
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Why the hell are motorist being punished, it's just as easy to slug tobacco or pokie machines with a tax hike. But everybody has to drive, I don't want to have to keep forking out to drive on the roads. If Nanna Bligh chooses to put the budget into to deficet, so be it, but you can't go down pinching every last penny.
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2008, 12:26 AM   #24
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

$900 is a lot for rego . I really hope vic doesn't follow suit . But the probly will im pretty sure our state government prides them selves on slugging the motorist the hardest so i doubt the will let that slip.
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2008, 12:31 AM   #25
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

problem is hunter.....bills and price hikes seem way out of sync with cpi. granted everything must go up.......buteven if we take cpi into it for the past 3 years.....the price hike is double that....its not being justified. they trot the same crap out everytime....."we have a black hole in the budget" if a private company ran its books this way the ATO would be in every"black hole" it could find.....
Old 10-12-2008, 12:57 AM   #26
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd_on20s
problem is hunter.....bills and price hikes seem way out of sync with cpi. granted everything must go up.......buteven if we take cpi into it for the past 3 years.....the price hike is double that....its not being justified. they trot the same crap out everytime....."we have a black hole in the budget" if a private company ran its books this way the ATO would be in every"black hole" it could find.....
Yeah but you need to remember that rego itself hasn't increased for some time - the majority of the cost of 'rego' is CTP and that seems to be always going up. I view that with suspicion because it involves insurance companies who will never pass up an opportunity to hike their prices (even if unjustified).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM1DY
Why the hell are motorist being punished, it's just as easy to slug tobacco or pokie machines with a tax hike. But everybody has to drive, I don't want to have to keep forking out to drive on the roads. If Nanna Bligh chooses to put the budget into to deficet, so be it, but you can't go down pinching every last penny.
The government doesn't choose for the budget to do this - its just one of the effects of the world financial crisis (yes I know this phrase is starting to become a cliche). But as you yourself say 'everyone has to drive' which means the tax, on the whole, IS pretty fair.

Me personally I would have upped everything by a small margin and then people would've been less likely to notice (or care), but then maybe I've played too much sim city
Old 10-12-2008, 01:36 AM   #27
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter
Yeah but you need to remember that rego itself hasn't increased for some time - the majority of the cost of 'rego' is CTP and that seems to be always going up. I view that with suspicion because it involves insurance companies who will never pass up an opportunity to hike their prices (even if unjustified).

that i can refute. i work in SGIC(connected to sgio, nrma, racq etc) in adelaide. i dont know how it works in QLD but CTP here is a govt contract handed out to Allianz. that arm of allianz is separate to its motor insurance arm. CTP has nothing to do with your motor vehicle insurance itself. insurance companies as a whole dude would rather you pay less then more. seriously because if its too high people will just end up going somewhere else.

anyone seen the breakdown of costs on a budget? each minister gets like 20-40k printng budget!!! WTF!!!!!!
Old 10-12-2008, 01:47 AM   #28
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

In QLD when you register your vehicle you are required to pay for CTP for personal injury - nothing to do with property damage, just personal injury. You can't not pay it. The total 'rego' bill comes in with the:

a) registration fee

b) 'traffic improvement fee'

c) the CTP component

These are all itemised on the registration renewal form and you can see how much each one costs. You can choose whoever you want as your CTP insurer from a list of licensed insurers and in fact the NRMA has conducted a HUGE advertising campaign in QLD to try and get people to use them as their CTP insurer. And it does vary from insurer to insurer. I used to have Insurance Australia (NRMA) on my Falcon but on my Mazda its Suncorp (that's just who the dealer put down, I never had a chance to choose one this time).

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/Home...stration_fees/

What the QLD government is planning to do is to increase the cost of the registration fee. They have no control over the CTP price (as far as I am aware) and as such it can and does vary quite a bit.

http://www.maic.qld.gov.au/

Quote:
Compulsory Third Party Queensland operates a common law 'fault' based Compulsory Third Party (CTP) scheme, first introduced in 1936. The scheme provides motor vehicle owners with an insurance policy that covers their unlimited liability for personal injury caused by, through or in connection with the use of the insured motor vehicle in incidents to which the Motor Accident Insurance Act 1994 applies. For the injured third party it provides access to common law, that is, the injured person has a right to approach a law court to seek monetary compensation from the person 'at fault' for the personal injury and other related losses. As a fault based scheme it requires proof of liability, i.e. the injured party must be able to establish negligence against an owner or driver of a motor vehicle. Consequently, circumstances can arise where, for example, a driver who is wholly at fault in an accident cannot obtain compensation because there is no negligent party against whom a claim can be made.
Driving around with just the mandatory CTP in QLD is not a good idea and that's why most people at the very least should have CTP Property although IMO full insurance should be mandatory (though I realise that not everyone can afford this).

EDIT: Actually the government has some control over the CTP fees but there's a "range" in which the licensed CTP insurers are allowed to set their price but there's no fixed price as such.

Last edited by Hunter; 10-12-2008 at 01:59 AM.
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2008, 02:02 AM   #29
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thought so. here in SA CTP is controlled by the state govt,. Allianz pretty much do all the admin work for them.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:31 PM   #30
noosacuda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Biggest unsolved mystery of all time-Why is rego dearer for a V8 than a 4 cyl???? Captain Nana Bligh(t) really SUCKS big time now!!! What do we get for our rego $$?

I'm SOOO pleased when the GST (Get Stuffed Tax) was introduced that the greedy barstards dropped all stamp duties,levies,taxes and fees,including income tax because the GST would create enough revinue for the Government!
They always say that Joh was corrupt etc, BUT we had good health system and a budget consistently in the black back then,mind you other things weren't so wonderful,like the best cops money could buy! LOL!!
noosacuda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post