Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 12-03-2009, 07:09 PM   #1
boss-290

Default A bit annoyed at SOME (I repeat, SOME) bushfire victims.

Just watching Seven News and there was a story about the donations that are now being given out to the bush fire victims. Just saw some woman saying, "Its about time". Meaning the money thats being given out.

That made me a bit angry. We don't have to gove them money, but we did out of the goodness of our hearts. I know I gave.

I have in the past weeks, heard similar things from other fire victims.

I know they're frustrated, but I mean. Be a little it greatful.

Just wanted to get that off my chest and see if other people agree with my thoughts.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:15 PM   #2
3vXT

Haven't heard of this yet but i can imagine.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2009, 07:19 PM   #3
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Meh big deal
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2009, 07:20 PM   #4
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sh!ts me to tears how they expect it all..everyones done it out of the goodness of their hearts and they aren't all that greatful.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2009, 07:27 PM   #5
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would say their frustration is more directed at those giving it out and not those giving. Can't please everyone, such is life...
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2009, 07:29 PM   #6
AllCoupedUp
Garage Dreaming...

Location: In the garage - waiting for the car to build itself!!

Interesting indeed. Physcologically, many people handle the situation differently. Some get angry, some get completely helpless, some confused and dazed and eventually lost, etc etc. The person that you saw / heard obviously handles it through anger and 'just wanted to get it off their chest' - same as you posting this really. So, if that's the way they handle it, then so be it.

My wife and I donated too, and 'feel' for all of the victims. I only hope that they feel the generosity that Australia gave and use that energy to get them going again. I cannot control, nor have a say in how people 'should' behave in these situations. We control our own life and thoughts and therefore are very happy to know that we have done something to help... And that's all that really matters - to know that we helped.
AllCoupedUp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2009, 07:42 PM   #7
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

i must be weird - i would much rather be in my position, still having my wife, car and house not caring if some people seem ungrateful or not - than in theirs, having lost loved ones, their home and possessions

maybe some people need to be grateful for what they have instead of worrying about receiving credit
the bushfires, cyclones and floods have shown how lucky some of us really are - and then there are third world countries - there is alot for most of us to be grateful for
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2009, 07:57 PM   #8
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The 'it's about time' attitude is still selfish.

Given the number of people affected directly by the tragedy that was Black Saturday, it takes a lot of time to get around to everybody and verify who actually is genuine.

Some people just have no idea, and it's about about "me, me, me".

There are other people worse off in the world. She should be thankful that this country can support people in her position. Had she been in a lesser country, she would have had to cut the attitude and EARN everything all over again.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2009, 08:06 PM   #9
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know the woman you speak of, took everything I knew not to throw a brick at the tv...... I am sure that all the families that lost loved ones don't give a crap about the money, they just want their family back!
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2009, 08:06 PM   #10
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
The 'it's about time' attitude is still selfish.
while i do see your point and the points of others, how would you feel living in a tent on a football field and then at families or friends while coming to grips with one of the biggest tragedies that you are likely to have to deal with

you could not access your money or receive any assistance for at least a few days because all of your id had been destroyed

true there are people worse off than them, but they have had a horrible time. i personally do not see why us lucky folk should really care. i gave money unconditionally, they do not have to joke and dance around to make me consider our donation worthwhile

it is worth remembering that although we look at this devastation as the one huge tradegy, those who lost their homes and loved ones can only really see it from their little world. their world has been turned upside down and they do not need to look at the internet to see the gravity of it all. they just need to look at where there house used to stand. their pain is localised to a point that we cannot understand. one house burning to the ground is a tradegy, it is a pity people only care when enough burn to make the news
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2009, 08:07 PM   #11
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

I agree with what UD said, I saw a similar situation on the news last night about the sacking of 160 abattoir workers, Firstly I don't know why every news station was there, EVERYONE, EVERYWHERE is losing jobs, hell I've lost mine due to "economic downturn" too.

Which brings me to my second point, some of these people carried on like spoiled brats hurling bottles and abuse everywhere.

Bad stuff happens all the time, like I said I got made redundant and didn't carry on like a pork chop, it just seems some people can't see the forest from the trees.

There are so many worse off then them, or me and that's what keeps me grounded.

/rant
Old 12-03-2009, 08:13 PM   #12
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss-290
Just watching Seven News and there was a story about the donations that are now being given out to the bush fire victims. Just saw some woman saying, "Its about time". Meaning the money thats being given out.

That made me a bit angry. We don't have to gove them money, but we did out of the goodness of our hearts. I know I gave.

I have in the past weeks, heard similar things from other fire victims.

I know they're frustrated, but I mean. Be a little it greatful.

Just wanted to get that off my chest and see if other people agree with my thoughts.
Says he driving a GT. Mate, you may be able to survive a month with no money, no food of your own, no real privacy (living in a community of tents), but not everyone can (especially the money part).

The gripe is that it has taken a month to get the money to the people that need it - typical beauracracy, IMO. This is what happens when the government sets up a committee to dish the funds out (on a side note, did you know that a camel is actually a horse designed by committee??).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2009, 08:19 PM   #13
strike

Maybe she was annoyed because of the fact that the bushfires where weeks ago and people have been donating since day dot and she has only just got some of it. Sometimes it seems to take a long time for the agencies to get the money to where it is needed. Sorry I am NOT knocking the Red cross etc, but generilsing as I know of a lot of incidences where some of the agencies for overseas aid seem to take a lot of the money for there own admin and only a small portion gets to where it is intended. I am sure this is not the case with the bushfires but I understand that sometimes it just takes time, all best intentions aside.
strike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2009, 08:38 PM   #14
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
i must be weird - i would much rather be in my position, still having my wife, car and house not caring if some people seem ungrateful or not - than in theirs, having lost loved ones, their home and possessions

maybe some people need to be grateful for what they have instead of worrying about receiving credit
the bushfires, cyclones and floods have shown how lucky some of us really are - and then there are third world countries - there is alot for most of us to be grateful for
i agree with that..

these people NEED the support and are probably getting frustrated with the amount of time it has taken to get anything done.. I'm sure if anyone here lost their house in a fire they'd find every second that ticked by an eternity. Cut them some slack..
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2009, 08:44 PM   #15
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

my grandad was in ash wednesday and his house was one of the only ones left standing in his district. he said that the others got so much money to rebuild they built mansions and he said back then there was a huge uproar about it. hope the same thing doesnt happen but it looks like its heading that way.
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2009, 08:45 PM   #16
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I second that. They have lost everything, we have lost nothing. I say if the money is for them, then they should be getting it.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2009, 08:46 PM   #17
hardaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPXR6T
I would say their frustration is more directed at those giving it out and not those giving. Can't please everyone, such is life...

agreed!

My Build HERE
hardaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2009, 08:52 PM   #18
tud184
Starter Motor

Didnt they get centerlink payments straight away and what about people with insurance how do they split the money fairly?
Houses burn down everyday and loved ones die yet theres no help for them they should be gratefull of every $ they get
tud184 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2009, 09:00 PM   #19
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

ok i'm saything this once:

i think it's in very poor taste to draw aspersions and talk down on those who have been put through this tragedy. Yes you can have your own opinion, but painting everyone with the same brush when in all honesty you know nothing about what is happening in their lives is childish and arrogant.

Thread on shaky ground..
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2009, 09:02 PM   #20
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tud184
Didnt they get centerlink payments straight away and what about people with insurance how do they split the money fairly?
Houses burn down everyday and loved ones die yet theres no help for them they should be gratefull of every $ they get
People without insurance get more money... Everyone should just get the same insured or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2009, 09:06 PM   #21
tud184
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daymoe
People without insurance get more money... Everyone should just get the same insured or not.
Yeah that wrong people get punished for having insurance
tud184 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2009, 09:55 PM   #22
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

I can see this thread getting nasty, close it now imo. cheers.

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2009, 10:18 PM   #23
boss-290

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackersINC
ok i'm saything this once:

i think it's in very poor taste to draw aspersions and talk down on those who have been put through this tragedy. Yes you can have your own opinion, but painting everyone with the same brush when in all honesty you know nothing about what is happening in their lives is childish and arrogant.

Thread on shaky ground..

Who painted everyone with the same brush?
Old 12-03-2009, 10:18 PM   #24
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
I can see this thread getting nasty, close it now imo. cheers.
Not at all, those that donated have the right to question the delay in distribution of funds.
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2009, 10:41 PM   #25
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
Not at all, those that donated have the right to question the delay in distribution of funds.
I agree, remember people this tragedy happened a month ago now. The victims have been basically doing it tough for that last month. No house, no car, and in some cases no family.

The last thing they should have to worry about is a delay in receiving funds. Imagine it was you who lost everything you have, a lot of these people won't be working atm either so no income.

Remember all the facts before commenting.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2009, 10:50 PM   #26
JACK250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
I agree, remember people this tragedy happened a month ago now. The victims have been basically doing it tough for that last month. No house, no car, and in some cases no family.

The last thing they should have to worry about is a delay in receiving funds. Imagine it was you who lost everything you have, a lot of these people won't be working atm either so no income.

Remember all the facts before commenting.
I don't think anyone was really questioning that, more commenting that nobody had to donate money, and it makes them feel a bit let down when someone (by no means all victims) seemed to be ungrateful.
JACK250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2009, 10:53 PM   #27
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACK250
I don't think anyone was really questioning that, more commenting that nobody had to donate money, and it makes them feel a bit let down when someone (by no means all victims) seemed to be ungrateful.
I understand that but read it the other way, that they were complaining that it had taken so long for it to actually filter to them.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2009, 10:59 PM   #28
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As far as i know people are still donating as of late as well.

Im sure it can be a bit of a nightmare to live off nothing, but in the same token, they would rather distribute the funds evenly and once rather than 3-4 payments as money is still coming in.

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2009, 11:01 PM   #29
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Black Saturday was a tradegy.

People poured their heart's out giving donation's of money, food, clothing, accomodation and the list continue's.

My heart goes out to all victims but especially to those who lost loved one's in this disaster.

A massive tragedy on a scale of which i hope to never see again in my lifetime.

To hear of ungratefulness from one victim is nothing.

Imagine the happy thousands who are grateful for our donation's.

That's what it's all about.

Adam.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:11 PM   #30
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

$50,000 for all who have lost their Houses (Total Loss)

Over the already paid $5,000 emergency relief money

NOW fair enough as they have put out new rules and regulations where the cost to rebuild your house will cost alot more

What i dont get is they are going to give extra to those who are un-insured

House insurance includes a Base Premium + Fire Service Levy + Government Service Levy + Stamp Duty = total premium

Fire Service Levy - the portion of your insurance money which goes to the Fire Brigade to support their costs

Now these ppl who are not insured, who have not paid taxes (gst & stamp duty) have not contributed to the Fire Brigades Running Cost (fire service levy) are going to be rewarded and get paid out more :

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post