Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-07-2009, 08:46 PM   #1
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Default Never will I buy another toyota

I need to vent and I appologise.

So as some would know I bought a camry over an XR6 :togo:.

Let me list the issues in the last 4 weeks of ownership if that.

Fog light not functioning when driving out of dealership
Inside drivers door handle broke 3 days after buying car (had to wind window down to get in and out)
Vent clips fell off when touched.

Now Trans clunks when putting into gear eg: P - R, N-D, N-R it clunks into gear as if there is heaps of pressure or like my falcons have if parked on a hill. There is a rattle when accelerating which the toyota guy said may be the engine mount or torsion bar thing.

So the first 3 things got fixed but today it went in for the other probs. I pick it up and they say yes there is a noise but they are not prepared to strip it down to investigate it is wear and tear for it's age/mileage. Then go on to say we fixed your other 3 issues free, whoopdee ****ing do, thankyou very much for fixing an illegal front door and a $12 light globe. Do you want a pat on the back? That comment made me more mad than the one saying they wouldn't fix it, like I should be gratefull or something they spent $100 on parts, and fixed an illegal issue.

1. it has done 86,000 k's. Are you telling me a car a TOYOTA supposedly the more reliable car has wear and tear issues after 80,000 odd km's.

2. I would swallow wear and tear if I had had the car 6 months 10,000k's, but to tell me after having had it for 3-4 weeks and 3000 k's (went to perth) it is wear and tear is rubbish.

3. To admit there is a noise issue then to turn around and say but we are not going to do anything WTF!!!!!. It has a pretty comprehensive 3 month warranty let alone the stupid 3 year one I payed for.

I am trying to not let it get to me but it is hard. I will be ringing the manager tomorrow to let him know what I feel. This is what I will tell him.

The car has a 3month warranty regardless of any extra I bought which covers pretty well the whole car, you have admited something is amiss but won't investigate so you can, investagte and fix, take the car back and give me back my money, or I will call consumer affairs.

I SHOULD have stuck with what I knew and bought a falcon.

Sorry guys I might come accross as being ungratefull or something but I am very mad. If I had payed 8000 even then I would swallow wear and tear and use my normal mechanic, but I payed twice that and have had the car 4 weeks. if that.

Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2009, 08:52 PM   #2
Zedjay
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what model is it???
Zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2009, 08:52 PM   #3
Spudz27
Call me Spud

03 Sportivo V6
Old 08-07-2009, 08:56 PM   #4
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

Sucker... :evil_laug

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2009, 08:59 PM   #5
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

First off you should have bought a Ford!!
You won't like hearing this but 80,000 k's is alot, sorry but the kind of things you've experienced ive had with every new car ive owned at that kind of mileage.
I normally ditch leased cars at that mileage because they tend to start to get these issues and become a money pit.
You'll have to except its going to have niggling onging issues from time to time for the rest of its life im sorry to say, just because its a Toyota doesnt make it immune from aging.... Should the dealer be responsible for wear and tear? not really....
Want an issue free car? you'll have to buy a new or near new 1 with low k's.
Best of luck with it..

Old 08-07-2009, 09:00 PM   #6
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sorry to say it, but told you so...

it does suck for you, and it must be a bad position to be in. but i guess if you hadn't bought it you wouldn't know that toyotas aren't nearly as reliable as they are made out to be.

good luck getting it sorted and i hope they sort something out..
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2009, 09:04 PM   #7
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
First off you should have bought a Ford!!
You won't like hearing this but 80,000 k's is alot, sorry but the kind of things you've experienced ive had with every new car ive owned at that kind of mileage.
I normally ditch leased cars at that mileage.
You'll have to except its going to have niggling onging issues from time to time for the rest of its life im sorry to say, just because its a Toyota doesnt make it immune from aging.... Should the dealer be responsible for wear and tear? not really....
Want an issue free car? you'll have to buy a new or near new 1 with low k's.
Best of luck with it..

I understand a car with that mileage would begin to age and it is 6 years old, I just don't think 3-4 weeks after buying the car for more than I should have (I wasn't able to go to perth and look around, so got stuck paying stupid country prices) I should have to swallow the wear and tear crap. I took ownership of it 4 weeks ago and something is wrong, why am I suddenly responsible for the wear and tear. Also on saturday the mechanic said "oh the trans oil is a little dirty", when I said "well weren't you guys meant to check that before putting it on show" he suddenly back peddled and said "Oh oh it isn't too bad" he didn't know I bought it from them. If I could at this point I would me more than willing to try and get it traded for 11g and add 6g to my debt and go and get the XR6 I had in mind.

45,000k's, 05 model in black. I do not know why I never got it in the first place. It was then 1000 more than the camry but I swayed to the camry. Still not sure really why I did that :

I will sit here enjoy a few more jacks from my bohemian crystal and hope the jacks will drown my anger .
Old 08-07-2009, 09:12 PM   #8
Walt Kowalski
I use brain. Not hip.

Ask any taxi driver
Walt Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2009, 09:16 PM   #9
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

80,000k's is not the issue what it comes down to is to how well the car has been serviced and treated during those 80k's I have had cars well into the 2-300k's bracket and not had too many issues as the cars are maintained regardless of cost.

The problem with a second hand car especially from a dealer you really have no idea on it's history at all. If you buy privately from say the original owner you can gain an insight into how the car has been looked after. I have bought a few 2nd hand cars privately and had a good run with them.

Good luck with chasing up the repairs if they give you too much grief go consumer affairs and check what they do on T/T or aca recently I saw a beemer parked outside a dealership full of lemons and a sign saying how crap it was on aca bet the owner of the yard hated having it there can't be real good for business but there was nothing he could do about it. Karma

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2009, 09:30 PM   #10
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDfutura25
I understand a car with that mileage would begin to age and it is 6 years old, I just don't think 3-4 weeks after buying the car for more than I should have (I wasn't able to go to perth and look around, so got stuck paying stupid country prices) I should have to swallow the wear and tear crap. I took ownership of it 4 weeks ago and something is wrong, why am I suddenly responsible for the wear and tear. Also on saturday the mechanic said "oh the trans oil is a little dirty", when I said "well weren't you guys meant to check that before putting it on show" he suddenly back peddled and said "Oh oh it isn't too bad" he didn't know I bought it from them. If I could at this point I would me more than willing to try and get it traded for 11g and add 6g to my debt and go and get the XR6 I had in mind.

45,000k's, 05 model in black. I do not know why I never got it in the first place. It was then 1000 more than the camry but I swayed to the camry. Still not sure really why I did that :

I will sit here enjoy a few more jacks from my bohemian crystal and hope the jacks will drown my anger .
Yeah i know it sucks, but the dealer doesnt have some magic wand they wave over the car that reverses 6 years and 80,000 k's of wear and tear!!!
To correct all wear and tear would be impossible.
Some things will be covered under the limited second hand car warranty they have to provide such as driveline failure, the rest, unfortunately is "caveat emptor"....

Last edited by 4Vman; 08-07-2009 at 09:49 PM.
4Vman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2009, 09:37 PM   #11
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Get a private professional inspecton done before the 3 months is up and take it back and park it until they fix all the issues listed.

If they want to give a warranty they should bloody well live up to it, I have to give alot longer waranty than a car on some of the work I do, and if I stuff up I fix it.
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2009, 09:37 PM   #12
yetchh
go bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV+fteT3
80,000k's is not the issue what it comes down to is to how well the car has been serviced and treated during those 80k's I have had cars well into the 2-300k's bracket and not had too many issues as the cars are maintained regardless of cost.

The problem with a second hand car especially from a dealer you really have no idea on it's history at all. If you buy privately from say the original owner you can gain an insight into how the car has been looked after. I have bought a few 2nd hand cars privately and had a good run with them.

Good luck with chasing up the repairs if they give you too much grief go consumer affairs and check what they do on T/T or aca recently I saw a beemer parked outside a dealership full of lemons and a sign saying how crap it was on aca bet the owner of the yard hated having it there can't be real good for business but there was nothing he could do about it. Karma

yeah.. sounds to me like its a dealer problem more than a car.. if theyve tried to pull the wool and sold you a dud you need to come down on them hard before you run out of time.. and make sure you document everything so they cant back out.. by law you have 21 days to get a refund and i think from a dealer you get a statutory warranty for three months so they have to fix anything that goes wrong regardless
1977 RX4/929 coupe in epoxy finally
1976 121 Cosmo 2l turbo
yetchh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2009, 09:39 PM   #13
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Me and the mrs have been talking and honestly if this is just the beginning,(It feels like it) and reading my 3 year warranty they only cover up to 1900 in 1 problem, me having to pay the rest, we may see what we can trade the camry for and see if we can add a few 1000 to our debt and go back to a falcon. I will sleep on it but. I will also speak to the manager tomorrow and see where I get before making such a drastic decision. I want a reliable family car, I really would rather pay more than be constantly back and forth, arguing trying to get things fixed. I will speak to the manager tomorrow. I still have my ED at the end of the day.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:55 PM   #14
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

It seems Toyota is not as immune to problems as the media makes out, it could happen to any car.

The dealer service doesn't seem any better than other makes either, it shows secondhand cars are more a reflection of the previous owner than overall brand quality.
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2009, 09:57 PM   #15
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Surely there are toyota forums somewhere. Get on there and ask the questions. If the dealer is being hard and you cant be bothered to get legal aid just flog it off and learn the lesson. Ive done it once and lost a fair bit of money but its a lesson well learnt and it only takes once. Although, the XR will have problems too. Its a lose-lose situation unfortunately. I know what your going through. Chin up.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2009, 10:01 PM   #16
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Fix it, and then get rid of it. STAT.
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2009, 10:05 PM   #17
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

Quote:
I need to vent and I appologise.

So as some would know I bought a camry over an XR6 :togo:.

Let me list the issues in the last 4 weeks of ownership if that.

Fog light not functioning when driving out of dealership
Inside drivers door handle broke 3 days after buying car (had to wind window down to get in and out)
Vent clips fell off when touched.

Now Trans clunks when putting into gear eg: P - R, N-D, N-R it clunks into gear as if there is heaps of pressure or like my falcons have if parked on a hill. There is a rattle when accelerating which the toyota guy said may be the engine mount or torsion bar thing.

So the first 3 things got fixed but today it went in for the other probs. I pick it up and they say yes there is a noise but they are not prepared to strip it down to investigate it is wear and tear for it's age/mileage. Then go on to say we fixed your other 3 issues free, whoopdee ****ing do, thankyou very much for fixing an illegal front door and a $12 light globe. Do you want a pat on the back? That comment made me more mad than the one saying they wouldn't fix it, like I should be gratefull or something they spent $100 on parts, and fixed an illegal issue.

1. it has done 86,000 k's. Are you telling me a car a TOYOTA supposedly the more reliable car has wear and tear issues after 80,000 odd km's.

2. I would swallow wear and tear if I had had the car 6 months 10,000k's, but to tell me after having had it for 3-4 weeks and 3000 k's (went to perth) it is wear and tear is rubbish.

3. To admit there is a noise issue then to turn around and say but we are not going to do anything WTF!!!!!. It has a pretty comprehensive 3 month warranty let alone the stupid 3 year one I payed for.

I am trying to not let it get to me but it is hard. I will be ringing the manager tomorrow to let him know what I feel. This is what I will tell him.

The car has a 3month warranty regardless of any extra I bought which covers pretty well the whole car, you have admited something is amiss but won't investigate so you can, investagte and fix, take the car back and give me back my money, or I will call consumer affairs.

I SHOULD have stuck with what I knew and bought a falcon.

Sorry guys I might come accross as being ungratefull or something but I am very mad. If I had payed 8000 even then I would swallow wear and tear and use my normal mechanic, but I payed twice that and have had the car 4 weeks. if that.
I had the opposite drama to you i bought a Ford work ute many years ago (F150) i hardly got to work it was a piece of shyyte.I ended up with a Toyota work ute after the F truck had a bit of an accident : I have had 3 Toyota utes since then with plenty of miles on all 3 without any real dramas.One thing is for sure i will never buy a Ford work car ever again.
ALL AUSSIE MUSCLE
HEMI POWER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2009, 10:11 PM   #18
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Me and the mrs have been talking and honestly if this is just the beginning,(It feels like it) and reading my 3 year warranty they only cover up to 1900 in 1 problem, me having to pay the rest, we may see what we can trade the camry for and see if we can add a few 1000 to our debt and go back to a falcon. I will sleep on it but. I will also speak to the manager tomorrow and see where I get before making such a drastic decision. I want a reliable family car, I really would rather pay more than be constantly back and forth, arguing trying to get things fixed. I will speak to the manager tomorrow. I still have my ED at the end of the day.
Sorry bud but trade in value will be around $10,000
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2009, 10:18 PM   #19
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah my Hilux with 222,000km had the diaphragm fuel pump fail on the weekend bloody POS LOL

Toyota's are not anything special, the older ones were "Bullet Proof" cause they were so simple and over built for the power the engine developed and if you actually look over a Toyota service schedule it's massive, that's where the "reliability" came from Big services and simplicity.

My 96 Hilux 222,000km original Engine, gearbox, Diffs Ect,Ect. Pull the 4Cyl out and drop in a Commo V6 or even a 253V8 (No power house by any means) and kiss the G52 gearbox good by, you need to go running for a 6Cyl Land cruiser Diesel box or DANA truck box to take the massive 130KW.

saying that it does run like a clock, but it's simple and under powered.

Last edited by Green X; 08-07-2009 at 10:24 PM.
Green X is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2009, 10:20 PM   #20
reece1
reece1

i am aford guy through and through so dont shoot me down here. but honestly i think toyota build one of the most reliable vehicles around hands down
reece1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2009, 10:21 PM   #21
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

I think this is the first "My Ford and the dealer is crap" thread I have read that isn't a FORD .... very refreshing

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI POWER
I had the opposite drama to you i bought a Ford work ute many years ago (F150) i hardly got to work it was a piece of shyyte.I ended up with a Toyota work ute after the F truck had a bit of an accident : I have had 3 Toyota utes since then with plenty of miles on all 3 without any real dramas.One thing is for sure i will never buy a Ford work car ever again.
All my work cars have always been Fords .... At the moment a Ranger and an AU ute (220,000 V8) and all have had no probs .... AU had gas issues but dont run gas (bodgey job) and a bad vibration ..... fixed with 2 new front tyres. Others in the 'Company Fleet' is Territory, G6E, BA and an AU sedan all doing well thanks

I have had company cars since XD with very few dramas and many have had high miles, country trips etc. If asked why I always have a FORD .... well thats the reason ..... on a good thing, stick to it?

AND Alex ...... you avator doesn't work :

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2009, 10:39 PM   #22
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Sounds like the toyota has a mechanical problem like most cars do at 6 years old or so.
Did you get an independant mechanical inspection done on the car before you bought it?
Sounds like your stealership sucks
that being said, toyota's are by and large rather good.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:49 PM   #23
rootster

sorry to hear that....log all your phones calls ...just keep some sort of record of who..when you spoke to them.....

I think all car dealers should at no extra cost supply bus and train time tables in our log books....
rootster is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2009, 11:11 PM   #24
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

I disagree Norm IMO those kms are stuff all.
Now i think the OP should read his thread about which car he should have bought :
Old 08-07-2009, 11:39 PM   #25
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Not many manufacturers have the luxury of over-engineering these days.

On the subject of work vehicles.... this is, as with all his clips, a good watch.
link.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:10 AM   #26
WASP
Whipple Induced

These cars IF looked after should remain in excellent condition for that mileage. The problem with cars like a Camry (even the Sportivo model) is they are more often than not owned by people that have absolutely no interest in them, as long as they get them from point A to point B. They therefore receive only the minimum attention required to keep them doing that job. Models like the XR's, while not always are often owned by those that look after them to a greater degree.

Quite clearly this car has not been looked after in a manner that should have kept it in better condition for it's age. As others have said, I would have as many issues fixed as you can justify and move it on as soon you can.

Colville
Old 09-07-2009, 12:33 AM   #27
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
It seems Toyota is not as immune to problems as the media makes out, it could happen to any car.

The dealer service doesn't seem any better than other makes either, it shows secondhand cars are more a reflection of the previous owner than overall brand quality.

Totally agree with you there with Toyota’s the oil change and cam belt changes are crucial as they do valve stems prematurely if oil changes are not carried out when they should more so than a Ford or Holden.

The 2001 Camry 4 cyl I’m looking after has only tyre, battery, brakes cam belt changes and oil changed every 8-10 thousand and a the auto fluid changed and the car has been very reliable as with Fords and Holden’s that have had good service records on them and not had the life thrashed out of them should give the same type of reliability

Also Toyota Camry owner’s would be least likely to thrash the car than Falcon or Commodore owners and would less be inclined to complain about issues with the car as much.
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2009, 12:57 AM   #28
CHEETR
EBfairmont with TE50motor

generally i have not heard of so many problems like this in a camry.

foglights? did you get the ateva , sportivo or the touring?

if your in melbourne, i am a toyota carsalesman and id be happy to get my service guys to look after for you on getting it all rectified.

is it under warranty still? if it is, is it a factory warranty or a dealership extended warranty?

if your in melbourne, feel free to send me a pm and ill give you my mobile number so i can arrange to have it all looked after for you mate.

generally alot of my camry sales are people that have owned all their life and have nothing but good things to say.

i just traded in 32 camries on 32 new ones for a large company that does 60k a year in each one, and they have had minimal problems.

if you are in melb shoot me a pm mate and ill help out for ya.

im not just saying good things about them because i work for the company, im simply stating it as i deal with them all day and everyday and there is always going to be one here or there that suffers a few problems, but its how those problems are handled that will keep toyota's great name.

cheers.
CHEETR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2009, 10:18 AM   #29
Crazed

Noises and small clunks are part and parcel of a 6 year old car. I think your displaying buyer's remorse.

You realise the Camry is not the car for you and that you dont really like it, and so now your nit-picking faults with the car, dont worry, we all do it! Its already obvious your wanting to sell it.

My advice is to sell the car and get the XR, life is too short to regret buying a car every time you walk up to it.
Crazed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2009, 11:13 AM   #30
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Probably my craziest idea yet, but after speaking with Esanda they said to find the car I want (XR6 if still there) get a figure on the camry and ring them and they will see if they will transfer any remaining balance onto the new loan. I just explained the situation with the car being back at toyota 3-4 times in 3-4 weeks and the current situation.