Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: What is the go?
V8SC is dead, I will support the new formats 87 39.01%
FORD are nuts, V8SC is king, BMW will steal Ford's market share 14 6.28%
Meh, all motor racing is a circus 10 4.48%
Stuff Ford, I am defecting to Holden or BMW 3 1.35%
What a great idea, real racing in real cars, I hope Holden eventually join in as well 104 46.64%
I follow the drivers not the marques, it is all the same to me 5 2.24%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-08-2009, 11:09 AM   #1
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default V8SC Hypothetical

After all the media hype over the 888 transfer to Holden and a review of the costs of sponsoring the V8supercircus FORD have decided enough is enough.

As of the end of this season Ford are pulling out of V8SC completely and FPR will concentrate its efforts on other events.

They have announced the FPR drag team, the FPR drift team and the FPR production racing team.

In addition they are partially financing "Australian Touring Series", a series of events held all over the country that are loosely based on the spirit of the pre 1970 competition, that is, the cars raced must be based DIRECTLY of ones that are sold to the public.

The V8SC ringmaster huffs and puffs and then announces that V8SC will include a new model next year, BMW.

Do you this this is a good idea and will you rise to the events or will you remain a V8SC fan.

flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2009, 11:12 AM   #2
Spudz27
Call me Spud

I wouldn't mind seeing BMW's mixing it up.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2009, 11:13 AM   #3
tufLTD
tufLTD

We might end up with a one-make series, the Holden V8SC.
tufLTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2009, 11:21 AM   #4
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

I'd like to see a return of the super tourers.
It would stand quite a chance now, it seems from opinions here that quite a few like myself are well and truly over V8SC, as previously posted they lost me after the mark skaife ownership issue.

EDIT: lets see Cameron Mcconville back in his Greenfield BMW

Last edited by Yaw; 02-08-2009 at 11:35 AM.
Yaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2009, 11:21 AM   #5
Mark s
1.3 Litre Suzuki power

I voted V8SC as dead, I have totally lost interest over the past few years. I remember getting together with a group of friends on a Sunday, BBQ, Beers, Bourbons and have a great time. Plus doing 3 - 4 rounds a year, again with friends, BBQ, so on.

Nowdays If I am at home with nothing else to do, I will sit and watch the races but without the old passion.

I would love to see a modern varient of the Grp C days, with certain modifications allowed to a road going car.

EF 4lt 1995 in Green on LPG. To and from work hack.

XY Fairmont 1971 in Bronze Wine, 302, Top Loader, 9" Still trying to find out if she is a GS or plain jane Monty.

Mustang 1966 coupe, Silver frost, A code, C4, factory bench seat, A/C, P/S rally pac, AM radio with 8 track. Awaiting funds for resto.

K6 Hayabusa....Dead Stock and why would one need to spend thousands on mods.................
Mark s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2009, 11:28 AM   #6
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Easy, 1st choice New Format...

For me V8SC resembles a snake eating its own tail...

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2009, 11:53 AM   #7
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Actually after reading the choices again i would have to say i am 50/50 between 1 and 5......

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2009, 11:55 AM   #8
sprint347dave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

bring it on,,,,it was heading towards nascar,,,,ask yourself 1 question,,are we american or australian?
sprint347dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2009, 11:59 AM   #9
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Secret option seven - Group C.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2009, 12:06 PM   #10
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

A good one as usual Flappist.

Tori and I were talking yesterday after we saw Jamie say the fans will follow them to Holden, these guys need to get in touch with reality.

V8SC need to also get in touch with reality, they are in serious trouble here. Their category is based solely on the ford vs holden thing, as enforced by it being a 2 manufacturer series. Now that the series will be 2/3 holden next year and the only ford backed outfit is not really that competitive, that spells trouble.

We are also pretty over V8SC at the moment and have been since the cars have increasingly gotten further and further away from what we can actually buy. I personally would welcome a category where modified road cars are raced and I can identify with what is parked in my driveway, not some ground up race car that shares no common components except a few body panels.

Now I just have to figure out if I should remove the craig lowndes signature off our steering wheel.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:08 PM   #11
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark s
I voted V8SC as dead, I have totally lost interest over the past few years. I remember getting together with a group of friends on a Sunday, BBQ, Beers, Bourbons and have a great time. Plus doing 3 - 4 rounds a year, again with friends, BBQ, so on.

Nowdays If I am at home with nothing else to do, I will sit and watch the races but without the old passion.
Me and my mates use to do the exact same thing, espicially when it came to Bathurst. The best thing about it was even our mates who weren't into the V8s would get involved. Its been a few years since we have done something like that.
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2009, 12:15 PM   #12
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Now I just have to figure out how to remove the craig lowndes signature off our steering wheel.
Fixed.

Oo\===/oO
Old 02-08-2009, 12:15 PM   #13
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

An Improved production series with serious factory backing would be good to see, cars would have to be modified to some extent as I cant see them making the end of a 6 hour race off the showroom floor.
Ford would have to ditch the 8 and run the F6 to have any hope of being in the top 5 :P....unless they re-engineer the cleveland to todays standards and re release it

Improved but keeping close to production standard would be my pick, we may get to see some good racing then, instead of a follow the leader merry-go-round, where most passes are in the pits or by breakdowns and accidents.
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2009, 12:15 PM   #14
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

this is an interesting one

i voted the first choice

oneof my mates is anavid Holden fan and he is even saying that V8SC is a dead form of racing so even holden guys arent to happy with the way it is heading

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2009, 12:21 PM   #15
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

See the thing that I like about V8SC's now is some of the trick engineering they do. If we went to a production based category, we would see none of that.

And who wants to see a near stock car try to crack 300km/h? If I wanted to see that, I'd just go down to the local Maccas.

V8SC are, as much as I don't like the politics that go in in the category, proper dinky di purpose built racecars. To me that's cool. A stock GT with a cage is not.

Oo\===/oO
Old 02-08-2009, 12:46 PM   #16
blownv8au
Pro Street Au Ute

i voted no.5. i went to townsville first v8sc event and i tell you what they are awesome in the flesh but the racing is boring unless a ford or your driver is in the lead there is no passing no door rubbing no sideways action it is bordering on nascar in every way, but the v8 brutes were bloody unreal one guy got t boned on the first turn in race 3 so he got pushed back to last so every lap after that he threw it sideways around turn 1 for the rest of the race getting the crowd involved. if we had a class much like the brutes (sedans you can go out and buy) but a bit more powerful with the higher tier drivers i think would be a drawcard event. but that just my opinion. v8sc is now dying because of this fiasco 2/3 holdens good riddance.
blownv8au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2009, 12:49 PM   #17
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm58
i voted no.5. i went to townsville first v8sc event and i tell you what they are awesome in the flesh but the racing is boring unless a ford or your driver is in the lead there is no passing no door rubbing no sideways action it is bordering on nascar in every way, but the v8 brutes were bloody unreal one guy got t boned on the first turn in race 3 so he got pushed back to last so every lap after that he threw it sideways around turn 1 for the rest of the race getting the crowd involved. if we had a class much like the brutes (sedans you can go out and buy) but a bit more powerful with the higher tier drivers i think would be a drawcard event. but that just my opinion. v8sc is now dying because of this fiasco 2/3 holdens good riddance.
+1 for the brutes, always good entertainment and panel rubbing

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2009, 12:53 PM   #18
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351
Actually after reading the choices again i would have to say i am 50/50 between 1 and 5......
Yes, I did not word them very well, sorry.

They are supposed to mean.

1) This will kill V8SC (so I will follow the new ones)

5) V8SC will remain but I will follow the new formats instead and V8SC will become like F1 or Nascar, something that I watch occasionally but have no real passion about.

I thought this up last night after a bit of TV fluff about the 888 defection and had to finish it in a hurry this morning as I had to go out.

I personally believe that V8SC has become to scripted and formulated and has lost any relevance to the average Australian.
No longer can the new Ford or Holden be so much better that it wins by 9 laps forcing the other to improve.
Now if that were the case, the safety car would slow everyone done and the rules changed to take away any advantage.

I would not be surprised if, in the near future, the cars were handicapped with extra weight like race horses based on their average finishing positions in previous races.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2009, 12:59 PM   #19
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Onya Flappist,bring back some real prod racing.
As for weight handicap doesn't the mini series do this.
V8SC has been dying for some time now I just wish ch7 would show more of the support races but they also have the footy contract.
So instead of a full afternoon of racing we get the cut version.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2009, 01:02 PM   #20
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
In addition they are partially financing "Australian Touring Series", a series of events held all over the country that are loosely based on the spirit of the pre 1970 competition, that is, the cars raced must be based DIRECTLY of ones that are sold to the public.
Ah, Dr Geoffery Flappist returns

Definitely the way to go. Slightly modified showroom cars.

The old 'Win on Sunday, sell on Monday' saying has gone as current V8SC cars are nothing like the road cars except for body shape.

Sure there are still people out there that think that the Pajero that kills everything in the Dakar rally is the same one as they take the family on holidays with. But most of us know that they are straight out race cars!
Old 02-08-2009, 01:18 PM   #21
xbandrew
THATXB

Ive watched some of the Australian Touring Series, It was by far better than the V8SC, 50 million times more exciting, and is great to see how the different makes stack up against each other. Cos theres not just Ford and Holden
Old 02-08-2009, 01:48 PM   #22
Thunderchild

+1 for racing real cars. Luckily I am old enough to remember seeing the Australian touring car scene from 1970 onwards. For me there was nothing better than seeing cars of all types from the mighty HO's to Dato 1000 coupes racing around at Bathurst (some with number plates still attached). Still get excited about Bathurst but my heart just isn't in the V8SC.
Thunderchild is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2009, 02:13 PM   #23
4VCLEVO
XA GT

I would like to see this happen.

Quote:
Old 02-08-2009, 02:28 PM   #24
jakkes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i love watching dick Johnson's qualifying lap in the greens tuff falcon that type of improved racing car is what i would like to see with today's cars(or similar)

----------------------------------------------------------------
BA falcon XT mkII, 5.4lt, 5sp,
Y-code, xy windowless pano, 3 on the tree manual.
re-shelled xy falcon GT, manual.
1980 honda CX500 scrambler/dirt tracker
jakkes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2009, 02:33 PM   #25
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Yes, I did not word them very well, sorry.

They are supposed to mean.

1) This will kill V8SC (so I will follow the new ones)

5) V8SC will remain but I will follow the new formats instead and V8SC will become like F1 or Nascar, something that I watch occasionally but have no real passion about.
Can I change my vote to 5) then?

To me V8SC is dead now. I used to look forward to Bathurst every year, nothing would get in the way for me not to watch it. Real racing in real cars, not these shells with mechanicals much the same that are nothing like the road cars.

But now I dont really care. In fact today I'm not even watching the V8 SC's even though I could.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2009, 03:02 PM   #26
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
As of the end of this season Ford are pulling out of V8SC completely and FPR will concentrate its efforts on other events.

............ they are partially financing "Australian Touring Series", a series of events held all over the country that are loosely based on the spirit of the pre 1970 competition, that is, the cars raced must be based DIRECTLY of ones that are sold to the public.
This is where it's at for me - & I also like the Brute Series.

V8SC - is just plain BORING & no amount of fancy camera work is changing that for me.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2009, 03:05 PM   #27
boris

I still miss the old group A where you got little four cylinders taking on the big v8s. Production based. Yes I know Godzilla kind of stuffed that formula, but if you could work out a formula where turboed cars are limited somehow to keep non-turboed cars competitive it would be great. Imagine xr6t versus xr8, ss and maybe xr5. Not just Ford and holden, it would be Ford, holden, toyota, bmw etc The great thing about it being production based, is that it is based on a model being sold currently, so the whole win on Sunday sell on monday thing becomes relevant, thus cars makers will get involved, more money more teams, better racing, everyones happy. V8sc have screwed Ford in the past ( aero kit on Au, and EL) Fords reputation was born before v8sc (moffat, sir richard Johnston, gtho, gt, mustang, 351 cleveland, sierra cosworths) in my mind it always seemed like v8sc was a formula born for holden, low tech and irrelevant. I have supported v8sc and have enjoyed watching, but it has never been as exciting as the pre-v8sc racing especially Bathurst the mix of cars and manufacturing was fantastic! Ahh good times good times! I'm getting all misty and showing my age.
boris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2009, 03:11 PM   #28
djst
Starter Motor

I like the idea of a showroom-roadgoing based series.
I used to be a big fan of V8 SUPERCARS as originally they were more closely based on the vehicles the manufacturer made and there were more technical differences between the Fords and Holdens.
Now the whole series has slowly shifted to the vehicles being almost identical under the body skins,sharing identical components,and with vary few similarities to the vehicles you can buy,except the bodyshell shape,which even that is not the same dimensions as that of the road going versions.
djst is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2009, 03:15 PM   #29
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
They have announced the FPR drag team, the FPR drift team and the FPR production racing team.

About Time.

V8SC is pretty much Aussie NASCAR. other than the general body shape and badging, they basically share nothing with road going versions, have nothing to offer in the way of sales from winning those sort of races.

All honesty, there are many ways to go fast, there will be more exposure in different areas of motorsport with potential customers, Especially in the Drift Scene.

Looking forward to production racing, but i dare say it might be a white elephant as most roundy roundy enthusiast do watch alot more V8SC to switch..

The Drag team will be good, but I hope it wont be in a DoorSlammer or Funny car, otherwise it will be like the V8 supercars, different motor in a rebodied ford shell...

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2009, 03:53 PM   #30
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

After the speculation of 888 I was speaking to a friend of mine. He said he hadn't watched the v8's for years and wasn't even aware ford were winning. I suggested a modified production series again. Basically what flappiest has suggested in this thread. His exact words were 'that'd be bloody brilliant, i'd watch it for sure'. I'd watch it. Also you would really see performance increase between fpv and hsv.

Mind you. There really is no such thing anymore. All race cars are spec'd for the track and it'd only take 1 or 2 series to see it back to where it currently is.

Current Ride - 2013 Ford Ranger, XLT 4x4, ARB kitted brick
Former Current ride - 09 XR6T in Octane, with a pinch of Sports pack
Weekender - Ford Cortina 1969 coupe
Project - 1968 Ford Cortina 4 door
GT69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post