Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-08-2009, 12:16 AM   #1
bostrow
Starter Motor

Default BA Pursuit road trip

Hi all,
Just wanna share with all you out there about my cars awesome performance on fuel (and a bit of a scare) on a recent road trip from Penrith to Harrington.
Filled up at Penrith on the way out and got to Harrington and back to the other side of Newcastle to before i put more petrol in.
By the time i stopped for a fill up my trip meter had 760kms on it with a 1/4 tank left with it telling me i could get another 165kms on the tank! Holy hell. Is that awesome or is that just normal?
Anyway when i got to the Petrol station in Newcastle the car stalled just before the bowser and when i started her back up the Throttle warning light came on and stayed on.
Drove away from the bowser and my heart nearlly sank to my feet when i couldn't get any revs from her and she sounded like a sick dog. Drove about 50m with my girl just chugging away and no power at all.
I turned the ignition off and waited a few minutes then started her up and she was back to her old self. Beautiful.
Don't know what caused this but i'm pretty sure it was something to do with the stall and starting her up to quick. ????????.
Filled her up and got back home without any dramas.
Before the road trip whenever i filled her up the speedo would say i'll get 450kms out of the tank and i usually get close to 500kms. After the road trip my speedo now tells me i can get 525kms on the tank. I'm still on that tank so i'll see how much i'll get out of her.
If there is anyone out there who knows if this is normal for a 5.4L V8 to get these sort of kms let me know. And if anyone can fill me in on the throttle warning light as well please let me know.
Thanks for reading.
Brian.

BA FPV Pursuit Boss 290 Mercury Silver #006
bostrow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2009, 09:43 AM   #2
LOWBA6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The reason your trip meter is saying it will get more KM's is because the average Litres Per 100km has dropped because of the highway driving. You will only get what you normally get around town. If you reset it, it will read much lower.
LOWBA6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2009, 12:37 PM   #3
Paddyboy

Yeh this is pretty normal (still pretty good for a v8 though).
My dads BF GT can nearly drive to Sydney in one tank, averages around 9l/100km.