Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 06-08-2009, 01:57 PM   #1
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Flag carried at Gallipoli stolen

Quote:

The first flag carried ashore by Australian troops at Gallipoli in World War I has been stolen from the NSW RSL's Sydney office.

How do you feel about the theft? What does it say about the state of security surrounding significant Australian military objects? Tell us what you think.

State RSL president Don Rowe said staff noticed the flag missing from Anzac House Castlereagh St, in Sydney's CBD, on Monday.

It was in storage with other memorabilia at the RSL's headquarters while renovations were carried out on the war memorial in Hyde Park, where it is usually on show.

Mr Rowe said the flag was taken ashore by Australian troops of the 9th battalion, 3rd brigade, at Gallipoli and carried throughout the campaign from 1915.

The flag bears the signatures of several historical figures including Albert Windsor who became King George VI.

While the flag has been valued for insurance it is the sentimental value that means the most, Mr Rowe said.

"You can't put a value on it. It's historical as well as sentimental, something that's irreplaceable," he told AAP on Thursday.

"And it's really got no value to the person who took it because no one will want to buy it. No one will want to touch it because... the word's out that it's been taken.

"It's significant to the nation not to an individual." Police have been notified and a list of people who had access to the storage area has been compiled.

Mr Rowe said the person who has the flag can return it to Anzac House or any RSL branch.

"I hope they've got a guilty conscience and return it because a lot of cases people just don't know what it is. They just think `oh, that looks good, I'll take it'," he said.

"And they don't realise what it actually means."

I THINK THIS IS BLOODY DISCUSTING

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2009, 02:34 PM   #2
AndrewR_AUII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This really sums up why this country is in the mess it is.... no respect.
AndrewR_AUII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2009, 03:19 PM   #3
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

That's a pretty low, brainless act. Many died under that flag and some numbnuts is just going to walk in and half-inch it... for what purpose?
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2009, 03:21 PM   #4
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What do people think when they do such a thing. Like was said it has no value as no one will touch it with a barge pole.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:23 PM   #5
EFPWR
B-Series Powered!

This sickens me. Very greatly. Very low act indeed.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:25 PM   #6
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

"a list of people who had access to the storage area has been compiled."
At least there is a greater chance of the person who took it being found than if it was somewhere that the public could get hold of it.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2009, 08:52 PM   #7
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can't put in words here what I really think.

What a disrespect to all those who fought under it.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:03 PM   #8
Rooster
Gimme Shelter

Cool

............. work the bolt forward ................... take up pressure on fore finger ............. breathe ........... squeeze
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2009, 09:23 PM   #9
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

My grandfather, amongst other things, had all his medals stolen and a French flag given to him by a French General during the battle for the Somme in WW1....

They eventually found the bastards that stole them and he got his medals back, but the flag was tossed out of their car as being worthless and never seen again....

As far as my Grandfather was concerned the loss of the flag was more precious to him than the medals and it broke his heart, it was the only time i ever saw the tough bastard cry....

They got community service....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2009, 09:34 PM   #10
sarrge2001
SZII in Silhouette

That news report should be sent as an email in the same way as those "don't buy petrol on thursday" emails spread.

That way, someone may actually see the flag and recognise it for what it really is - a National Treasure - and report its location!!!

Strangers have the best candy.......
sarrge2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2009, 10:22 PM   #11
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quite a low act.
Out of curiosity which version of the flag was it?
The red one?
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2009, 09:09 AM   #12
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

Let's hope the person(s) responsible realize it's not a shabby old flag in storage that no one will miss, and just take it back.

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2009, 09:39 AM   #13
LTDHO
The one and only

These people need to be hung up on a pole, then beaten with bats.

Lowest scum on the planet and to not desearve any oxygen.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2009, 12:40 PM   #14
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When these low lives are caught, they should sent to the Defence Force Correctional Establishment, for a long stint of getting set straight by the Military they have just desecrated. (For those who dont know, Its the Jail that military personnel are sent to when sentenced by Military courts and tribunals. And is by reputation a very very hard place to survive in).
calais is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2009, 01:49 PM   #15
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Shows the lack of respect people have for their country now.
While people went to war for their country, we have kiddies now growing up with safety and security given due to the efforts of generations past.
Where their ancestors had to work and toil to earn a meal at the table (which they were thankful for), people grow up with a sytem to catch them and to ensure that they will be looked after.

Those people value nothing but themselves, which is sad, because they are worth nothing.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2009, 02:12 PM   #16
Kaan
Mercury XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
These people need to be hung up on a pole, then beaten with bats.

Lowest scum on the planet and to not desearve any oxygen.

I agree with you. We lost 250000 brave soldiers in that d-day from both sides. I am Aussie with Turkish background. This is a very low act and whoever done it, don't deserve to live

Last edited by Kaan; 07-08-2009 at 02:31 PM.
Kaan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2009, 02:21 PM   #17
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
Shows the lack of respect people have for their country now.
While people went to war for their country, we have kiddies now growing up with safety and security given due to the efforts of generations past.
Where their ancestors had to work and toil to earn a meal at the table (which they were thankful for), people grow up with a sytem to catch them and to ensure that they will be looked after.

Those people value nothing but themselves, which is sad, because they are worth nothing.

couldnt say it better
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2009, 04:12 PM   #18
Nappa
Impressive...

"A moth-eaten rag on a worm-eaten pole,
It does not look likely to stir a man's Sole,
'Tis the deeds that were done 'neath the moth-eaten rag,
When the pole was a staff, and the rag was a flag."
Old 07-08-2009, 04:24 PM   #19
Rob
Living the dream

No tears from me if the people who stole it suffer at the hands of vigilantes.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2009, 05:20 PM   #20
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Yup, makes you mad eh?!
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2009, 05:34 PM   #21
Spitfire 6.2
V6 3L

This is the flag that was stolen.

Spitfire 6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2009, 08:56 PM   #22
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

What a puerile act perpetrated by a person with no respect for country or lineage.
One would hope that all the publicity will eat into this persons mind and never stop annoying them until the pennant is returned to it's rightful place.
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2009, 12:00 AM   #23
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaan
I agree with you. We lost 250000 brave soldiers in that d-day from both sides. I am Aussie with Turkish background. This is a very low act and whoever done it, don't deserve to live

No doubt some person or people who think it's their self appointed duty to protest at something or other.

A good slapping should sought them out when they are found (unless it's the Queenslanders stealing it back, in which case we'll defend our sovereignty)
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2009, 03:33 PM   #24
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Are they 100% sure that it just wasn't misplaced? A storage area could be quite large and things are likely to be misplaced. Hopefully thats all it is. If someone actually went out of their way to steal it, especially if they know what it is, is just discraceful.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2009, 11:40 PM   #25
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster
............. work the bolt forward ................... take up pressure on fore finger ............. breathe ........... squeeze
AND APPLY RULE NUMBER .303!
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2009, 07:38 AM   #26
dave_vic_ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaan

KAAN,

I have been to Turkey and to Gallipoli to see the ANZAC Cove and the battle fields.

The thing that struck me was the Turks have no grudge. We did invade but the respect given to Australians was the highest anyone could receive. I understand your passion. You cop it twice.

At that place Turks and Aussies stand as one. I cannot explain it but Ataturk who lead the Turks on the day said it like this.

“Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives; You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side here in this country of ours. You, the mothers, who sent their sons from far away countries, wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom
and are in peace. After having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well.” 1934 ATATÜRK

That is why we need to find this symbol of freedom.

Last edited by dave_vic_ozz; 09-08-2009 at 07:45 AM.
dave_vic_ozz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2009, 09:13 AM   #27
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_vic_ozz

“Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives; You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side here in this country of ours. You, the mothers, who sent their sons from far away countries, wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom
and are in peace. After having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well.” 1934 ATATÜRK

That is why we need to find this symbol of freedom.
What a wonderful thing to write about a perceived enemy. I too hope that the pennant is returned pronto.
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post