Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-09-2009, 07:48 AM   #1
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Ford F-150 EcoBoost 3.5L V6 first drive

For anyone who still uses the phrase "there's no replacement for displacement," this makes you really think twice.
http://farmindustrynews.com/trucks/0...oboost-engine/

I will copy the text here, in case there is an embargo which forces the page to be taken down.

Good to see a written comparison to the 5.4L V8 in the same vehicle.
.................................................. ..............................

A BOOST UP
Sep 1, 2009 12:00 PM, By John Gilbert

Ford's EcoBoost engine technology increases torque, improves fuel economy and lowers emissions

All it took was an impromptu drag race at Ford's Dearborn, MI, Development Center to convince me of the merits of the company's new EcoBoost engine technology. Journalists spent a day there learning about the new 2009 vehicles, and two of us ended up last in line on a straight test strip where we could compare an F-150 pickup with an identical vehicle powered by an EcoBoost V6 engine.

All Ford officials had left the area, and only two engineers remained to ride along with us on our acceleration tests. After requesting one last run in the F-150 with EcoBoost, I waved the other journalist to pull alongside in his F-150 with the 5.4 V8 and suggested we try a drag race on the wide, straight, mile-long strip. The engineers said they weren't sure we were allowed to do that, but I assured them — with no authority whatsoever — that it would be okay. Quickly, I told the other journalist to count down, “3-2-1-GO!” He did, we both hit the gas, and I was astounded both at how swiftly my EcoBoost-powered vehicle took off and how rapidly his V8 F-150 grew smaller in my outside mirror.

Ford first introduced EcoBoost in cars like the Taurus and Lincoln MKS and crossover SUVs like the Flex. Ford's standard 3.5 V6 engine turns out a solid 263 hp and 249 ft.-lbs. of torque. The EcoBoost V6 in car form jumps to 355 or 365 hp, and to 350 ft.-lbs. of torque, computer-controlled to maintain that peak from 1,500 to 5,250 rpm. In its auto and crossover applications, the EcoBoost required all-wheel drive rather than front-wheel drive to handle the increased torque.

“The F-150 will be the first application of the EcoBoost to a rear-wheel-drive vehicle,” says Alan Hall, EcoBoost marketing manager. “Because of that, we'll be able to get even more torque out of it. We'll have a similarly flat torque curve, and we're going to have a special transmission to handle what I would guess will be somewhere over 400 ft.-lbs. of torque.”

Technically, Ford created its first EcoBoost by taking the high-tech, two-year-old, 3.5-liter V6 and reinforcing it throughout. A stronger but lighter die-cast aluminum engine block was fitted with a crankshaft and connecting rods, both made of a higher-grade alloy for greater durability. Oil-cooled pistons, to withstand greater heat, have cylinder heads machined for direct injection. The dual-overhead camshafts are set for variable timing of the valve train to assure optimal performance, lower emissions and better fuel economy.

Turbocharging compensates for the fewer cylinders and smaller displacement, and Ford worked with Honeywell-Garrett to develop dual water-cooled turbochargers. Typically, turbochargers operate by directing a stream of exhaust flow to spin a turbine wheel, which powers a compressor that force-feeds an increased volume and velocity of airflow, sucking gasoline along with it to the engine. In the EcoBoost system, smaller turbines provide quicker spooling time, and, combined with the direct-injection system and computer control, the usual lag in power application is eliminated.

Instead of squirting the same air-fuel mixture into all cylinders at once, the Bosch-designed direct injection is calibrated to meter cool and more combustible air at extremely high pressure to insert a precise dosage of fuel individually into each cylinder's combustion chamber. Other direct-injection systems increase power, but Ford succeeded in coordinating the more efficient fuel-burning to aid power and fuel economy and to lower emissions.

“We promised a 20% increase in fuel economy, and we delivered a 25% improvement,” says Brett Hinds, advanced engineering design and development manager of the EcoBoost. “And we also achieved a 15% reduction in emissions.”

“Fuel economy is one of [farmers'] top needs,” says F-150 marketing manager Mark Grueber. “In our tests, farmers have praised the EcoBoost's low-end torque but also have been pleased to get 17 or 18 mpg and over 20 on the highway.”

By 2012, Ford expects to produce 750,000 EcoBoost engines in the U.S. and 1.3 million of them globally. The F-150 EcoBoost will reach showrooms late in 2010. Ford thinks farmers will appreciate the EcoBoost's durability and reliability. And once the crops are in, that EcoBoost engine might come in handy for drag racing.

chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2009, 08:45 AM   #2
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Great find, I read somewhere this engine won't be going into the Mustang as the performance is too close to the new Coyote V8. It's a good issue for Ford to have, but it makes you wonder what it would have been like in the Falcon (not that many I6T drivers would care).
Old 29-09-2009, 08:57 AM   #3
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Nice write up, was looking forward to the introduction of the Ecoboost V6 in the Falcon to see how it fared against the I6T.
Old 29-09-2009, 09:24 AM   #4
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
Nice write up, was looking forward to the introduction of the Ecoboost V6 in the Falcon to see how it fared against the I6T.

Unlikely to happen as falcon is getting the ecoboost 4, which I think will surprise many.
Old 29-09-2009, 09:36 AM   #5
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
There would be a select handful of Ford engineers that know the results of that little test. Aussie pride tells me that the I6T would come out on top but it would be interesting nonetheless......
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2009, 09:40 AM   #6
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Unlikely to happen as falcon is getting the ecoboost 4, which I think will surprise many.
I am one of the select few who is keen to see what the EB 4 can do
Old 29-09-2009, 09:46 AM   #7
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Myself as well. Particularly when you remember both the ecoboost 4 and V6 run pretty conservative boost levels. Once people start dialling up more boost (more on the V6 rather than 4) you should see some impressive power figures.

Personally I would not be at all surprised if the EB4 puts up a good show against the 4L I6 in NA form.
Old 29-09-2009, 09:51 AM   #8
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Good find. Its still early days in the grand scope of things for ecoboost. In years to come Ford will only keep improving the engines as well. Certainly in a heavy truck they are aiming for about 520nm of torque according to what the ford guys quoted. That is certainly going to take down the current 5.4 V8 because it makes about 500nm tops in the F series and obviusly the torque curve is much flatter in the 3.5T V6.

Quote:
I think eventually Ford will have to do some rationalisation in this area. The I6 has survived for now...and in fact will probably serve for some time yet (think 2015 at least). But, whether they overhaul the I6 significantly then (which they might do...it was given a reprieve by detroit because of more than just the exchange rate) or we take the duratec V6 then (in what size?) we will find out eventually i suspect. If Ford does eventually make an ecoboost 3.7 (they have shown no interest at present) then i think we will have a I6T replacement right there. If Ford gets to 520-530nm in RWD with 3.5T the 3.7T would have more enough i would say.....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2009, 10:10 AM   #9
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Although the ecoboost 4 sounds like a great engine it's gonna play hell with resale values. I'm assuming huge amounts will be sold with this engine but younger people will not be able to drive them and will go else where due to either probationary licenses or insurance imo

Wouldn't mind getting my hands on the Ecoboost V6 though
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2009, 10:29 AM   #10
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
I'm assuming huge amounts will be sold with this engine but younger people will not be able to drive them and will go else where due to either probationary licenses or insurance imo
That is where gov'ts will need to realize turbocharging improves an engines efficiency and is the way of the future. Turbo cars have come a long way in the last ten years.....
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2009, 11:05 AM   #11
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
That is where gov'ts will need to realize turbocharging improves an engines efficiency and is the way of the future.
Come on mate we all know that's what should happen, but this is the Australian Government we are talking about. When was the last time they changed the rules to incorporate new technology? A P plater can drive a 200kw V6 but cannot drive a 165kw V8 or a 150kw I4T. And they wonder why the automotive culture thinks they are a bunch of tw@s.

Back on topic, I heard a rumor that there is an Ecoboost 5.0L V8 on the edge of the foreseeable future for FPV. Can anyone provide any more information on this?
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
388cube_edxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2009, 11:09 AM   #12
trendkill555666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
Although the ecoboost 4 sounds like a great engine it's gonna play hell with resale values. I'm assuming huge amounts will be sold with this engine but younger people will not be able to drive them and will go else where due to either probationary licenses or insurance imo

Wouldn't mind getting my hands on the Ecoboost V6 though

Pretty sure probationary drivers can drive the VW Golf GT which is a supercharged and turbocharged 1.4L.
Old 29-09-2009, 11:28 AM   #13
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Some facts on Vicroads stance on P-platers and turbo cars.

http://www.arrivealive.vic.gov.au/in...ply_if_yo.html

Quote:
Drivers who obtained their probationary licence on or after 1 July 2007 can drive some lower-performance turbocharged or supercharged vehicles. These vehicles generally have improved safety features and greater fuel-efficiency and can be driven by probationary drivers.

Probationary drivers may apply to drive vehicles with 6 cylinders or less that are:

* turbocharged or supercharged with a power to weight ratio of less than 100kW per tonne;
* turbocharged or supercharged with a power to weight ratio between 100kW and 125kW per tonne and that are considered to be a family type vehicle (4 seats or more) rather than a sports type vehicle.

A family type vehicle is a sedan, station wagon or hatch normally used to carry families/passengers with 4 or more seats and is equipped with child restraint anchorages and does not include sports cars eg a two door coupe.

Vehicles with eight cylinders or more, family type-type vehicles with more than 125KW per tonne or other vehicles with more than 100KW per tonne will NOT be granted under this scheme.

Probationary drivers may drive diesel-powered supercharged and turbocharged vehicles provided they have no more than 6 cylinders. No exemption is required.
Old 29-09-2009, 12:08 PM   #14
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

That is the most stupid thing ever. So you can drive a Dodge Ram 2500 with a Cummins diesel 6.7L Turbo inline 6, but you can't drive a Ford F250 with the same size 6.7L turbo diesel, just because it's a V8. Even though power, torque and weight are about the same.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2009, 12:26 PM   #15
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:

Have to apply for an exemption though and you need to fill in a lot of details about the car, so either you buy it, then get rejected or hope the seller lets you use their details to apply for the exemption.

The chances of getting one are slim.

I was going to apply to drive a TT Toyota Aristo because it actually fell under 4 doors, under 125Kw/Tonne (124 lol) and not considered a "sports car" but it has the 2JZ-GTE engine anyway which is in the JZA80 Toyota Supra, but I looked at the Form and thought that a private seller wouldn't waste their time or give out all the details on their car. I'd guess that might be a loophole if you can find powerful cars like these that are 4 door. I'm guessing the people in charge of VicRoad's exemptions would look at the name "Toyota Aristo" and think grandpas car. I know that same engine in the Supra is capable of doing 0-100km/h in 5.1 seconds from factory and doing a 13.7 second quarter mile, probably a bit slower for the Aristo because its a heavier car and luxury orientated instead of sport, but still it would be quick.

It puts you back at square one anyways because its still giving you a slight chance of driving something fairly powerful?

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 29-09-2009 at 12:33 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2009, 12:31 PM   #16
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
That is the most stupid thing ever. So you can drive a Dodge Ram 2500 with a Cummins diesel 6.7L Turbo inline 6, but you can't drive a Ford F250 with the same size 6.7L turbo diesel, just because it's a V8. Even though power, torque and weight are about the same.

Mate, that's what you get when people who are chauffer driven everywhere make the rules. It's also why the brightest people in the land tend not to enter politics.

Quote: