Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 04-11-2009, 07:00 PM   #1
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 
Default Best Focus for the money?

a family member is looking at downsizing and is interested in the focus. could anyone tell me what the LR is like in terms of reliablity, repair cost, and drivability? I've never driven one.

Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2009, 10:02 PM   #2
FORD5

I own a '04 LR focus 140,000ks still going strong, only at the ford dealer for a service, very reliable 2.0 and 1.8 both have plenty of power for a 4 cyl and fairly spacious, with a good sized boot, both sedan and hatch, overall an outstanding car, just like every focus cheers j
FORD5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2009, 10:11 PM   #3
Mick K.

I have had no serious issues in terms of reliability. The fuel sender and dash both failed in warranty, but I have never "broken down" or been unable to start the car.

Service costs at a dealer are similar to other cars - less than other European cars I have owned (Golf and Vectra). Typically Euopean soft brake rotors will need replacing every few years.

Drivability is great - a fun car to drive, well known for its steering and handling and rated by may journos as the best driving front wheel drive car of its time and still now referred to as a bit of a benchmark.

One point to note is the requirement of some (most / all?) models for 95 RON or better fuel and that they are not rated as being ethanol compatible.

Would I buy one again? No - life is too short to own the same car twice
Am I happy that I bought it - yes - it's been a great car that still looks good and puts a smile on my face and will be hard to replace.
Mick K. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2009, 11:16 PM   #4
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

thanks guys
Old 05-11-2009, 10:34 AM   #5
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

The only time my LR almost left me stranded was when the battery packed it in. Was able to clutch start it though.
Kinda served me right. I knew about it, just kept putting it off.

If you're set on the earlier LR, I'd recomend the zetec. It had the better engine (with the exception of the ST170) and the better suspension setup.
The 2.0L zetec motor needs a timing belt change at 160,000 kms and new spark plugs at 100,000 k's (they're platinums and they'll sting you for $90-$100, a rude shock I'd you're not expecting it!) so make sure that work has been done if it's showing more than those k's.

And make sure it's been serviced properly and regularly. They're starting to get to the age where any neglect will start to show.

Aside from that, it's all the usuall stuff you look out for when you buy a used car. They're a fantastic car and so much more satisfying than a corrolla, astra or heaven forbid a Hyundai from the same vintage. It's engaging and so much more fun than other "whitegoods with wheels" getting around.

I own an LV XR5 now but there are times when I miss my old LR. It was just so much more chuckable through bends than the XR, I think that's the best way to describe it.
But then I give the 5 a good kick in the ribs and remember why I bought it

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Check out the build over here
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2009, 11:06 AM   #6
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

I'm a big fan of the LR....still have mine after 5 years.

Handling is fantastic, and just fun to drive.

The only odd issue that can arise is that a number of LR's saw the catalytic converter fail after 3-4 years.

Apart from that, go for it

I would suggest a Zetec (96kW) or the ST170 (127kW) rather than the lower spec (and lower power) models

In fact, now at around $11,000 -$15,000, I'd be trying a grab an ST170.

A lot of top notch engineering in that car.
Tuned header (Cosworth designed), higher compression, larger valves, variable valve timing and two stage intake runners, Getrag gearbox, larger exhaust, larger brakes, vehicle stability (i think). In fact, there is little else you could do to wring more out of the naturally aspirated engine, and keep it a pleasant daily driver
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2009, 02:05 PM   #7
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

seems like good reviews all round..

the person in question doesn't want a fast car though so i was considering the ghia? they prefer manual though so maybe the zetec.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:29 PM   #8
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Perhaps the only other issue not mentioned that was a common failure and that was the cowl i.e. the panel between the bonnet and windscreen where the Pollen Filter is situated. If it's not properly repositioned after you replace the Filter there's a chance water can get in to the footwells. It happened to mine but I discovered the water VERY quickly and had it fixed.

Other than that, I've done 80k and had 2 issues with my LR. 1. Starter Motor (or was it Alternator) went on me which drained the battery and both had to be replaced. 2. The Instrument Cluster also went on me. Both not cheap to replace but considering the length of ownership and cost of running it per annum it's worked out pretty well.

If you do decide on an LR and the suspension is showing it's age I'd highly recommend replacing dampers/springs/sway bars with the ST170's setup. I.M.H.O. it's nothing short of brilliant. Some of the Eurofordclub guys, myself included, have similar suspension in their rides.

Oh, and weren't the GHIA's rare as hen's teeth???

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2009, 03:53 PM   #9
FORD5

[QUOTE=Fast Eddie]Perhaps the only other issue not mentioned that was a common failure and that was the cowl i.e. the panel between the bonnet and windscreen where the Pollen Filter is situated. If it's not properly repositioned after you replace the Filter there's a chance water can get in to the footwells. It happened to mine but I discovered the water VERY quickly and had it fixed.

Other than that, I've done 80k and had 2 issues with my LR. 1. Starter Motor (or was it Alternator) went on me which drained the battery and both had to be replaced. 2. The Instrument Cluster also went on me. Both not cheap to replace but considering the length of ownership and cost of running it per annum it's worked out pretty well.

If you do decide on an LR and the suspension is showing it's age I'd highly recommend replacing dampers/springs/sway bars with the ST170's setup. I.M.H.O. it's nothing short of brilliant. Some of the Eurofordclub guys, myself included, have similar suspension in their rides.

Oh, and weren't the GHIA's rare as hen's teeth???[/QUOTE]
well i've never seen a LR ghia in person, but there were two on ebay a while back, But in my opinion the LR is an outstanding car, cheers j
FORD5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2009, 04:04 PM   #10
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

there are eight LR Ghia's on carsales at the moment.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:23 AM   #11
zetec
Zoom Zoom

I'm 100% behind tha value of a Ghia if you're after an auto. 4 airbags, ABS, auto climate control, luxury to burn and insanely cheap pricing. They're packed with features for a 6-7 year old car and really should have been looked after being a non-hoon's model.

Otherwise, a Zetec would be your best other option.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:46 AM   #12
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Ok guys.....i was going to start a new thread but this is already a bit active so ill just post here. Apologies to professor farnsworth for a bit of hijack....

My sister is looking at getting a car in the next few months. Her requirements are pretty simple (she's not really into cars at all) but are:

a: $5-10k...closer to $10 if its a car i think is worth it.
b: small in size. So light/small car basically.
c: manual or auto....auto if possible but is competent in manual
d: something a bit different. i.e. a bit rarer and not as common.
e: safety is important, 4star or better, abs etc. not too old...

After a bit of internet hunting i was looking at the recent superseded fiesta models but they seemed too small and she wasnt fussed on its pretty staid styling. Then it hit me....well a base model current LS/LT focus is a bit boring but i wonder how much the LRs are.....

BING! Some hunting around and we have found a few in the SE qld area. I think the 2002-2003 Zetecs are best....most are around 10-12k but there was one for 9k.

My question is do you guys think that

a: an LR zetec woudl suit her style based on what i desdribed. I've shown her some and she quite liked them..funky style and all.
b: We shoudl go manual or auto. I think manual, but she thinks auto?? I've heard the autos are a bit of a slug and like a drink? Do the Zetec AUtos get the 96kw engine? or just the manual zetec 2.0?
c: Can i get a decent one for less than $10k? Or will it likely be a lemon?
d: I know the STI170 is the bomb but what about ongoing costs. SUrely insurance is higher and are their alot of specific parts in the car that are more likely and/or more expensive to replace than a stock zetec?

Thanks in advance guys for your help. I'm a Falcon man and while i love everything Ford i'm not as up to date with the Foci...particularly the older LR.

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2009, 10:38 PM   #13
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Come on guys....i need your help....i'm a Focus newbite here! What.....don't you guys take to Falcon Fans or something (play nice now...)LOL!

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 13-11-2009, 12:44 AM   #14
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
Ok guys.....i was going to start a new thread but this is already a bit active so ill just post here. Apologies to professor farnsworth for a bit of hijack....

a: $5-10k...closer to $10 if its a car i think is worth it.
b: small in size. So light/small car basically.
c: manual or auto....auto if possible but is competent in manual
d: something a bit different. i.e. a bit rarer and not as common.
e: safety is important, 4star or better, abs etc. not too old...

My question is do you guys think that

a: an LR zetec woudl suit her style based on what i desdribed. I've shown her some and she quite liked them..funky style and all.

b: We shoudl go manual or auto. I think manual, but she thinks auto?? I've heard the autos are a bit of a slug and like a drink? Do the Zetec AUtos get the 96kw engine? or just the manual zetec 2.0?

c: Can i get a decent one for less than $10k? Or will it likely be a lemon?

d: I know the STI170 is the bomb but what about ongoing costs. SUrely insurance is higher and are their alot of specific parts in the car that are more likely and/or more expensive to replace than a stock zetec?

Thanks in advance guys for your help. I'm a Falcon man and while i love everything Ford i'm not as up to date with the Foci...particularly the older LR.
Mate the Focus section has gone a touch quiet lately, with many of us original hardcores now in larger cars or in busy stages in life.

I'm now in Falcons, but am getting a Mondeo Titanium delivered next week I hope, so going back to my Euroford roots.

An LR Focus ticks all those boxes perfectly, to be quite honest. Stylish, unique, unrivalled handling, economical and safe.

If you can drive manual, get it 100% of the time. It's cheaper to buy, cheaper to run, more economical and more fun. The 5 speed MTX75 in the Focus Zetec is a great gearbox too. tough but friendly to use.

LR Focus rated 4 stars with twin front airbags from the base model (http://www.howsafeisyourcar.com.au/_...t.php?IID=2935) but it comes with standard side airbags in the Ghia.

In the end my mantra, new or used, is to buy the highest spec model you can stretch to. You'll NEVER regret it in terms of safety, luxury and/or style over buying a cheaper model.

Used, highest spec models offer the BEST value as they've often depreciated more and quite often cars like an LR Ghia attracted an older audience, thus should have been much better maintained than someone scraping to get into a base model. Avoid base models where possible.

I'd personally go for a Ghia auto as a fuss free, safe, feature packed car.
Here's a Ghia winner, super low km's and you could bash a few grand off that price easily. I'd hit them for $11,000 Drive Away.
Ghia Sedan

If manual's a must, then a 3 or 5 door Zetec manual is a winner in evey way. I prefer the 3 door body and it may be cheaper in the used market too.
Zetec 3 door

Although here's my number 1 pick - BARGAIN, RARE and good low km's. This is the winner.
Zetec R

Hope it helps. Please let us know how you go.
Old 13-11-2009, 01:12 AM   #15
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Thanks for the reply zetec. I know people are busy i was just a bit surprised how quiet it was in the focus area. Used to be quite active.

At this stage it is either a manual Zetec (though i suppose i'd take an auto if in good nick and priced right) or a auto ghia (ghia only in auto??) Pretty firm budget of less than 10k though so will be hard to find a ghia for that (based on what i've seen) Did Ghia come in hatch because my sister hates the sedan....

I can't see the STI170 getting the job...is is very desirable but i a decent one won't be available for the budget and it really is way more than she needs. If i were buying it maybe....

The Zetec R is interesting. Was this a limited run? It has more features than a normal Zetec?

I've looked at other cars but they are all very ho hum for that money age. Nothign more than 2002 or so in age will do (safety and modern features) so for the price i was looking at everything from nissan pulsar, mitstu lancer (yuk!...unless its an evo he he), holden astra etc. They were all pretty boring...pulsar was reliable but not a great handler and the holden looks pretty gutless...unless you go for the 2.2 engined version.

I realise the Focus won't set the world on fire power wise but its a great handler and the only one with proper IRS...... I would want her to be driving a 'nice' real car...not a shopping trolley if you know what i mean. Oh and its a Ford.

Will keep researching and report back if/when it happens.

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 13-11-2009, 01:16 AM   #16
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Focus Ghia was sedan and auto only unfortunately, hence the largely older customers (and thus more likely to care for the cars). They're seriously packed with features and the boot is massive. Back seats also still fold completely flat for larger loads.

Zetec R came with the 17" MP3 alloys, the bodykit, rear spoiler (from the Focus RS) and some interior bling such as carpet mats, gearknob and scuff plates. Worth every cent now. They also have the 96kw engine which is a pearler.

Here's a brief bit of info:

Special edition Focus rallies support
Ford @ Brisbane International Motor Show

The continuing World Rally Championship success of the Ford Focus has been celebrated in Australia with the release of the rally-inspired, special edition Focus Zetec R.

The Zetec R will also help keep Focus interest levels up until the all-new model arrives in April/May.

Incorporating the rally-bred ride and handling characteristics inherent across the entire Focus range, Focus Zetec R is available as a five door hatch with a choice of either automatic or manual transmission. The extensive list of extras includes:

17-inch alloy wheels with 215/45 R17 Goodyear tyres
Bodykit: Front and rear aprons and side skirts
Unique large rear spoiler
Aluminium pedal pads (manual only)
Gear knob: Leather with aluminium insert (manual only)
Handbrake cover: Leather with brushed aluminium insert
Scuff plates (set of four)
Carpet mats with 'Zetec R' logo
'R' decals (three per vehicle) positioned under the Zetec badges at the front fenders, and under the engine displacement badge on the rear right hand-side of the vehicle

"Focus Zetec R SVP is an exciting addition to the Ford Focus model line-up in Australia," said Ford Australia Small Car Brand Manager, Anthony Ficarra.

"The 17-inch alloy wheels, front and rear bumper skirts and the large rear spoiler really give the Zetec R an enhanced athletic appearance. Interior features such as the leather gear knob and handbrake complete the picture. Offering more than $4200 of extra value for no additional cost, it really is an unbeatable deal."

Focus Zetec R will be available in a choice of four colours – Machine Silver, Colorado Red, Ink Blue and Panther Black.
Old 13-11-2009, 01:19 AM   #17
zetec
Zoom Zoom

If really pressed, the next best option in my books, funnily enough, is the car the Focus Replaced, the 2002 Laser. Go for an SR2 and you'll be onto a cheaper, but almost euqally as good car, just not quite in same safety/handling league.
Old 13-11-2009, 01:45 AM   #18
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
If really pressed, the next best option in my books, funnily enough, is the car the Focus Replaced, the 2002 Laser. Go for an SR2 and you'll be onto a cheaper, but almost euqally as good car, just not quite in same safety/handling league.
Yeah i've considered that but it appears she is a big fan of the focus now....looks nice and funky apparently......

I've heard a bit about the engines on the focus. The zetec 2.0 is supposed to be the one to go for so i'm limiting myself to cars engined with that. The astra SRi is ok with the 2.2 but they dont' drive nearly as well and are pretty boring. That Zetec R looked ok i'll look into that....

Oh and its been discussed previously but any known issues with the cars? Particularly larger engine related/electrics stuff that goes on them? Just stuff to look for in the maintenence logs....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 16-11-2009, 06:53 PM   #19
BlackLS
yum

The instrument cluster dieing - also I think they run a belt instead of a chain.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2009, 03:31 AM   #20
alky89

i have an 04 lr zetec with almost 90000km on it. bought it with 65k on the clock and its been going strong since. i've done 7 or 8 track days in it and nothing has blown up. the car asks for nothing but oil, petrol and tyres. handling is very nice and predictable. its really a fun car to drive. the engine has good torque from low revs which is good for putting around town. however, it really lacks power up top compared to japanese engines. nonetheless theres more than enough power for everyday use and there is enough to have fun in. i've driven an astra sri 2.2 and that feels no faster (well maybe a tiny bit). i wouldn't know about service costs as i do all my basic servicing myself. though i will need to take it somewhere for a major service soon. since the economy died, the price of the st170's have really dropped so if you could stretch the budget to one of those that would be the pick for sure.
alky89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post