Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 03:54 PM   #1
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool Lambo seized after mechanic caught speeding

Apparently a plain car followed the guy in excess of 160 in a 90 zone. He's a mechanic testing the car and it was seized.
The owner reckons it's not fair and going to cause him some "inconvenience", like he doesn't have another car to drive.
I wonder if the mechanic get's a kick in the you know what , or his boss might understand as it's probably common practices to give these luxury cars a squirt.
I've actually seen it before entering the freeway and the owner giving it a bit, moved out but sounded very tinny, not a deep rumble like the old time V8's.
http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/video/perth/#fop

Old 07-01-2010, 04:16 PM   #2
blueluvr

So when does it stop being a speeding fine and become a "hoon" offence?
Old 07-01-2010, 04:18 PM   #3
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
Apparently a plain car followed the guy in excess of 160 in a 90 zone. He's a mechanic testing the car and it was seized.
The owner reckons it's not fair and going to cause him some "inconvenience", like he doesn't have another car to drive.
I wonder if the mechanic get's a kick in the you know what , or his boss might understand as it's probably common practices to give these luxury cars a squirt.
I've actually seen it before entering the freeway and the owner giving it a bit, moved out but sounded very tinny, not a deep rumble like the old time V8's.
http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/video/perth/#fop
Just like the journalist in the Ferrari over that way.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
Old 07-01-2010, 04:21 PM   #4
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueluvr
ya mean when does it become a stolen vehicle?
Old 07-01-2010, 04:42 PM   #5
blueluvr

Stolen? You mean by the impounding? Or the owner making the excuse to try and get his car back?

I was refering to at what point for the cops does it stop being a "simple" speeding fine (or reckless driving) and become a "hoon offence" with it's own batch of penalties. Driving fast does not necessarily make a hoon. You can be a hoon doing zero ground speed of course.

This is an interesting scenario as the owner has given permission for the test drive by the mech, yet I assume he didn't ask for it to be driven to the point of confiscation. And of course it's up to the driver to determine how hard he presses the loud pedal.

The thing is the "anti hoon" rules are to try and make the hooner suffer further by taking his car off the road. Obviously here, it kind of backfired as it aint his car.

It also opens the question as to the whole "street racing" thing. Lets say someone leave the lights quickly and a car behind or next to accellerates with car 1. When does it become a "race" as opposed to two cars speeding.

These hoon rules leave a lot for the courts/lawyers/lawmakers to work out I'm guessing, and maybe that's the beauty in these rules ;)

btw, I'm wondering if he still got his repair bill, or it will be waivered !?
Old 07-01-2010, 04:49 PM   #6
BOSHOG
avenge me

i read somewhere the incident happened 30km from the workshop. i consider a mechanic that far away from the workshop driving my car in that manner as stealing it.

a test drive has limits
Old 07-01-2010, 04:59 PM   #7
The Monty
Just slidin'

Wow, whats the name of the mechanic?
I think the car should be given back, the mechanic however should be done for grand theft auto, plus loose his license under the hoon act.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:02 PM   #8
dsyfer

Probably the owner took it in and told the mechanic "mate it's got a bit of a miss at about 180kms, can you check it out"
Old 07-01-2010, 05:08 PM   #9
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Probably cause it's a high tech V10. Boy what a noise they make when the taps are opened all the way.

Not as nice as a V12 Astin Martin though
Old 07-01-2010, 05:17 PM   #10
blueluvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsyfer
Probably the owner took it in and told the mechanic "mate it's got a bit of a miss at about 180kms, can you check it out"
Don't laugh, it happens a lot to me. I repair road bikes, so it goes along the lines of "it has a bit of a flat spot at 6K rpm in 4th.....which on a modern litre sportsbike is crazy speeds.
If I can't get dyno access, I hand them to someone else. Not worth copping a fine, having someones bike confiscated, or dying, trying to find a fault for a day job.

Quote:
i read somewhere the incident happened 30km from the workshop. i consider a mechanic that far away from the workshop driving my car in that manner as stealing it.
Guess we need the whole story before we judge, but I understand where you are coming from. That is a big test drive, but sometimes it does require a long test to find weird faults, maybe the workshop is nowhere near open freeway to be able to test out a possible acceleration issue, who knows.

You will prob find though that as he did give permission for the car to be test driven (assumtion only here) then he couldn't be done for theft.

One would think the odo is going to show how many K's it was driven, so he must be pretty stupid if he decided to take it for a 60K round trip after a basic repair.........then again he did get done for 160 in a 90 zone......which IS pretty stupid.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:19 PM   #11
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Ferris Bueller's Day Off II?
Old 07-01-2010, 05:22 PM   #12
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Thinking of Ferris Buellers Day off Right now - The Dodgy Parking Station guys..

This story points out how stupid the hoon legislation is aswell.

*Damn, Mr Hardware beat me to it

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Old 07-01-2010, 05:22 PM   #13
BOSHOG
avenge me

everytime ive gone to my favourite workshop (guess who) the owner takes me along for the test drives to diagnose the problem. i also went with one of the employees once. every time they used the same route around the back streets with a nice mix of residential, hills, bends and industrial areas (for a squirt). i think it would be 10-15km but never more than 5km from the workshop.

i totally agree test drives need to be thorough, but that mechanic is pushing the limits lol
Old 07-01-2010, 05:27 PM   #14
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Need to allow that confiscation be optional, with vehicle type and bran discrimination allowed.

You'd pull over the 53yo mechanic and action his exceed speed-limit by way of regular fine, or charge him with 'speed dangerous' et al IF that was deemed proper.

If the bloke was doing burn outs in a built-up area, or industrial estate, and then, mebbe,- take the vehicle. Mostly bogan types here.

Regardless, still reckon Aussies going downhill.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Old 07-01-2010, 06:02 PM   #15
blueluvr

Quote:
Need to allow that confiscation be optional, with vehicle type and bran discrimination allowed.
What?

What I'm trying to figure out from all of this, what constitutes a hoon driver- car confiscation offence?
Old 07-01-2010, 06:02 PM   #16
Bobman
Regulator

Quote:
I was refering to at what point for the cops does it stop being a "simple" speeding fine (or reckless driving) and become a "hoon offence" with it's own batch of penalties. Driving fast does not necessarily make a hoon. You can be a hoon doing zero ground speed of course.
In Victoria, I think you get your car impounded for speeding if you are travelling at 30km/h over the posted limit. Drunk drivers don't get their cars impounded. Go figure!

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Old 07-01-2010, 06:09 PM   #17
blueluvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman
In Victoria, I think you get your car impounded for speeding if you are travelling at 30km/h over the posted limit. Drunk drivers don't get their cars impounded. Go figure!
Wow, that shows how much (little) thought went into it.

As long as soccer mum and granny watch the news and feel safer on the roads when they see another "hoon" getting his car towed, then politically it is a great law I guess.

Like the stupid idea someone came up with over the last few days of trying to take dangerous goods trucks off the road over the xmas break after a family veered onto the wrong side of the road and ended up under a fuel tanker. It happens twice and it becomes a "spate"
Such a sad story, but how is this a problem of the truck....or what it was carrying. Maybe if it goes through, the servos will run out of fuel over the holidays, and no one will be on the road, problem solved........ And we pay these idiots to come up with these ideas.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:16 PM   #18
UU TS50
T3 TS50 075

I think in the past they have given the owner back his car and taken the drivers car off him instead?

My car T3 TS50 #75 Blueprint manual 1/4 mile 13.38 @ 102.97 mph TS 50 = 237.1 rwkw
Old 07-01-2010, 06:37 PM   #19
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Id look at legal options here, because if that was my lambo Id want blood.

is it just me or do you get harsher penalities in australia for just speeding or leaving 2 black lines then you do for glassing someone/molesting/murder... NOTHING else carry's with it such a huge penality or different cost for the same offence as hooning laws.

Hoon isnt even a defined word in the dictionary FFS it astounds me that no lawyer has looked into loopholes/ways of makeing it fairer IE if its not your car there is a bigger fine but no car confiscation as it isnt your property they are confiscating.

or maybe just not treating every driver as an easy target/media headline/cashcow as australia seems to be obsessed with for the past 5 years.

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
Old 07-01-2010, 06:50 PM   #20
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Just heard on the news the WA police minister has refused the owners request to have the car returned it will stay impounded for 28 days.

WTF obviously the owner was not driving the mechanic said it was in for a service so why punish the owner FFS..............

This situation or something similar could be any of us. Dont lend your car out people.

Are all the pollies brain dead in this country?

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
Old 07-01-2010, 06:55 PM   #21
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
In WA 45 kays over the limit and it's classed as "hooning" not speeding and bye bye car and you go to Court for reckless driving.

Motor bike mechanics do this stuff all the time and there's no way they can get caught, unless they stop, not likely.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:57 PM   #22
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV+fteT3
Just heard on the news the WA police minister has refused the owners request to have the car returned it will stay impounded for 28 days.

WTF obviously the owner was not driving the mechanic said it was in for a service so why punish the owner FFS..............

This situation or something similar could be any of us. Dont lend your car out people.

Are all the pollies brain dead in this country?
Only rich people own lambos and rich people have access to good legal advice.

This will be interesting.....
Old 07-01-2010, 06:58 PM   #23
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV+fteT3

This situation or something similar could be any of us. Dont lend your car out people. Are all the pollies brain dead in this country?
Your right of course, risky to lend.

As for the pollies, its a pretty dumb response for a WA Lib Minister to make, has surely got to be another reason, and he may not have that authority/ability under law, I don't know the specific WA legislation, and atm are too old to look it up for now.

Email his electoral office with a POV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Only rich people own lambos and rich people have access to good legal advice.

This will be interesting.....
This story was on TEN News at 5pm AEST, about to hit the 6pm news. Mechanic is 53 or so, and the owner an older Indian? gentleman.

This should not happen. WA seems to be turning Victorian....... then again, so is NSW.

Flappist - wanna start a new country?
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Old 07-01-2010, 07:03 PM   #24
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
Quote:
What?

What I'm trying to figure out from all of this, what constitutes a hoon driver- car confiscation offence?
It shouldn't be the customer that is the one left without a car because a mechanic takes it out and drives at an excessive speed.

How would you feel if it was your car that they wanted to take for 28 days.

They should either take the mechanics personal car or the one of the dealers cars. Then see him squirm. That is if he still has a job anymore! You would sure hope that he got the bullet for that.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:32 PM   #25
Gaz
Got Ghia?

Thus the floor's in the Law.

It CANNOT be returned unless the car was stolen, a hire car, or would cause extreme financial hardship to the owner (EG tow truck loses car, therefore work blah blah). Clearly the lambo owner doesn't fall into this last one.

However, hell hath no fury like a rich guy scorned. I hope we haven't heard the end of this.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:25 PM   #26
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

apparantly Ferrari didnt have much luck with getting their car back when the journalist got clocked at 263 either... people only see the speed, not the circumstance and immedeatly react like they were doing it in a school zone at 3pm... this country can go to hell.

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
Old 07-01-2010, 10:12 PM   #27
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Makes no sense at all, it astounds me that in modern society a person who has committed no wrong can be punished....

The "hoon laws" are just knee jerk reaction to a media beat up...

Policing gone mad..
Old 07-01-2010, 10:17 PM   #28
mrniceguy

The owner was our family doctor when i was a kid. (Going back about 20 years) I always looked forward to going because i could check out his porche 928 that he had at the time.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:05 PM   #29
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not supporting these laws, and have nothing positive to say about them at all, but...

Obviously the thought process behind confiscating cars in these situations is simply to put the fear into people. I mean, if your a mechanic, journalist, or anyone driving someone elses car for whatever reason, they want you to know that the car will be confiscated regardless. Imagine being that person, having to explain to the cars owner that they'll be without their car for a month? Worse than getting your own car confiscated thats for sure. If these hoon laws can be circumvented simply by driving someone elses car, theres really not that much point to the laws in the first place is there?

I was just talking to a mate about how docile and apathetic Australians are. No matter what new laws are introduced we just sit and take it. Complain loudly on internet forums sure, but no one does a thing. What we need is some good ole fashioned riots!!
Old 07-01-2010, 11:58 PM   #30
blueluvr

Quote:
Motor bike mechanics do this stuff all the time and there's no way they can get caught, unless they stop, not likely.
Do what stuff all the time? hoon around on customers bikes, doing runners from the cops? mate, please don't go there.
I have been doing this for over 25 years straight in a lot of different shops, and honestly in that time, I am yet to hear of a wrench do this on a customers bike. Besides, bikes have number plates too you know ;) Or maybe we actually change the plates before we go on our "bikie" hoon rampage of the streets ?????

When we are on customers bikes (and sales bikes), and in most cases identifiable workwear, the last thing ANY workshop (bike or car) needs is a rep for fanging customers bikes on test rides. How would you feel if you found out from a mate who saw your local tuner out there thrashing your pride and joy on the streets? That's prob why he doesn't do it either.

word gets out pretty quick if that's going down, esp. in the bike trade, which is still very cottage. I'm sure there are some that do ride like idiots, but after being in this trade for this long, I have come to notice they don't last long at all......literally. When a modern litre sportsbike does well over a ton in first gear in less time than it takes to fart, you learn to show restraint.

When you do it for a job, it aint about the test rides. As much as you may or may not think it's fun riding around on bikes for a job, it's far from the truth. In reality, we are riding in the middle of congested citys, and as such, we are simply trying to avoid getting run over by you tin top drivers. Car drivers "do this stuff all the time and there's no way they can get caught, unless they stop, not likely" (see what it sounds like when you generalise like you did ;)

We used to service the cop bikes at one place I worked, and a senior mech at the time was taken out by a car in downtown Parramatta who pulled out on him......... he was riding a full dress cop bike ferchrissake!

Sorry for going off topic, but your comment was nothing but a generalised rant.

To get back OT, I agree totally that it's outrageous the owner has lost his car and even your local polly is saying he's not getting it back. If I were the owner, I'd be going the whole hog, and it certainly shows the real world flaws when governments make knee jerk decisions.

Quote:
I was just talking to a mate about how docile and apathetic Australians are. No matter what new laws are introduced we just sit and take it. Complain loudly on internet forums sure, but no one does a thing. What we need is some good ole fashioned riots!!
Spot on.

Last edited by blueluvr; 08-01-2010 at 12:03 AM.
Closed Thread