Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-02-2010, 02:47 AM   #1
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Ya hear about these barnyard finds well

Have been working FIFO out of Karratha for a wile and came across this at the shopping centre the other week.

Don't look to bad in the photo, but it was rather clapped out. The black outs on the bonnet were faded and had rust spots coming thou the paint, rest of the car had plenty of scratchers and small dents as well.

I’m no GT expert but maybe some one could tell if this is a original car or not?

I stuck around for 10-15 minutes hoping to catch the owner but had to get back to site.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:00 AM   #2
braddyxe51
cortyboy

Ya would surprises what cames out of the wood work up north when Newman drags are on.
Only once a year but some old school cars getting around up there.
braddyxe51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2010, 03:20 AM   #3
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

car has been in town for years. I dont think its genuine. I'll keep my eyes open for the owner next time i see it, its in the shopping centre carpark alot.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:35 AM   #4
braddyxe51
cortyboy

Guy would drive his xa gt to work every day a mine in Newman also was a xd Ghia I think, has slapper bars on it. Could have been a ESP by the looks of the seat that in it. Also seen a yellow xy gt driving around as well.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:58 AM   #5
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

btw, Newman drags are on hiatus coz they're not alowed to use the airport anymore. '08 was last event. Apparently theyre looking at building a track.

I'm part of a small car 'club' here in Karratha and we have been in discussions with the local Speedway Club and various govt/shire members about trying to create somewhat of a racing complex at our speedway site (speedway, BO Pad & drag sttrip). Not only will it provide locals with more events to attend, we look at it as giving locals a chance to 'race' their cars at the strip, rather than doing it on the local roads.

Our Police car yard is FULL of Hoon confiscated cars. its sad really.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:47 AM   #6
GTENVY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey Green X, it parks at Centro shopping centre all the time. Pretty sure its a mock up. Most of the guys up confirm that's not original. Mind you I work with another operator that has a genuine SLR5000 and a fitter has an original XT GT.

Live, Love, RACE

SOLD: AU III XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
cars are to be driven, ornaments are to be looked at. the two should never be confused.
GTENVY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2010, 11:41 AM   #7
Big Bird 17

i can't see a superoo sticker on it.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:54 PM   #8
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I was at work the other week , and a collegue was speaking to me about a certain XYGT that he know's about sitting rotting away in a yard, now at this stage me ear's sprung into action and he told me where this house was, he also told me that many people know about it and have asked the owner if he wanted to sell, but evidently , he is a arogant bloke that won't sell, won't touch it and is leaving it there to the ruin's.
That night I called around to have a look, Now no one lives at this house where the susopedly GT lives, I knocked on the door , to no avail, until a lady driving past, stoped and said "no body lives there mate", she pulled up and got out and asked me what was I doing, I poliety told her that I wanted to contact the owner regarding the "old Falcon" up the back, now there are two of them, one is the GT, the other is an XE wagon, so I could have been talking about either of them.
She then got on the mobile and rang someone, I thought she was ringing the cop's on me, I asked her who was she ringing , "the owner" she replied, I asked her how did she know that no one lives here, she said "cause I own the place", I then asked her , well then you would know about the old car up the back, she did but it wasn't her's,
Anyway she rang the owner and said, that she had a fella her wanting to buy the old GT, she then hung up and said , I will get your name and number and the owner would contact you if he wanted to sell.
I asked if I could have a look while I was there, she said " oh ok then".
It was in very bad shape, no ID plate, chrome 12 slotter's, no interior, rust in the ussual place's, I couldn't get underneath to see if any of the original GT thing's to look out for were easy to see as the undergrowth and thorn's around it was just to hard.
The engine looked like a 302, but not certain, no shaker, as I was looking through the hole. but all in all it was in a bad way and missing a lot.
I had a feeling that even if it was a genuine GT that it was a SA Fairmont GT, but without ID it I couldn't be certain, but anyway I have never heard back from the owner.
I was speaking to the bloke that told me about it this week and he said that many people have tried to suss it out but he just won't sell it and won't do anything with it but let it sit there.
It has been sitting there for a very long time and people know about it, and it has had quite a few part's stolen from it over the yr's.
If indeed it is a genuine, it is such a shame.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2010, 01:15 PM   #9
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Majority of the time, I hate it when you see stuff like galaxy xr8 is describing. The usual "oh, i'll get around to doing that one up" is said and its just such a shame when you know it hasnt moved for 5 years and it wont move for the next 5 years either. Sometimes I can see why they dont want to sell though, they probably dont want it going to someone who they think will put a big scoop and a big spoiler on it or ruin it.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2010, 01:18 PM   #10
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

there are a lot of similar stories to that one Galaxy XR8...

I know of a couple of 'diamonds in the rough' that the owners don't want to give up...
but sadly they are just rotting in a yard, rusting away to nothingness...

It is a real shame, and I don't know what the idea of not selling them is?? I'm sure that some of these guys know what they have and think its a 'sound investment' keeping the car in the yard... but its not going to be worth $1,000's if its rusted away and unrestorable...

If they honestly had plans of fixing them - fair enough...
But why keep something like that if you've got no intentions of actually doing something with it??

And i'm not necessarily talking about GT's and GTS's... some of these diamonds are good XA/XB coupes, monaro coupes (non GTS), Fairmont GS's, Slr toranas, etc etc...

they're out there... just getting harder to find...
Old 09-02-2010, 01:23 PM   #11
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVO_XR
Majority of the time, I hate it when you see stuff like galaxy xr8 is describing. The usual "oh, i'll get around to doing that one up" is said and its just such a shame when you know it hasnt moved for 5 years and it wont move for the next 5 years either. Sometimes I can see why they dont want to sell though, they probably dont want it going to someone who they think will put a big scoop and a big spoiler on it or ruin it.
What gets me is when you see a car in a colapsing old shed, you approch the owner with the idea of picking up a good project base, and your honust that you want to hot rod it, thye tell you no it would be a waste of a classic (hmpf Ok thats their opinon and their entiteld to it) but when you see it 3 years later wit ha hook through the roof on its way to sim's it gives you the $hits

The other one that has happend to me is you get to talking to the guy, hes not sure if he wants to sell it (might do it up one day) then the guy sells the property and leavs it behind for the new owner to push in to a heap with a D9 along with all the other rusty water tanks and junk on the block ber for it gets developed :(

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2010, 01:42 PM   #12
TP351
Lurker

Hey Galaxy XR8,

There is another one fitting the same description as that one, only a bit more complete, not that far away from you in Maryborough. Genuine XW GT, Windsor auto, rare Zircon Green, sitting in back yard blending in to undergrowth. Owner is arrogant too, reckons it's worth over $100K, LOL. It's also missing ID plate. It used to be a nice car.......My old man knows him and has tried to rescue it a few times, but he won't get rid of it as it's apparently appreciating while rusting away....!!!
TP351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2010, 01:53 PM   #13
braddyxe51
cortyboy

I would say that the owner has taken the tags off to stop people stealing them. Well I hope thats the case.
I was ****ed when the tags on my xe police car were stolen.
I have had a few people ask me if I want to sell my matching number 351 s pack xe. Its got a bit of rust. I would get more money wrecking it out but I am not doing either. Plan is this year to have the body redone while I dont have a lic.

I was up Newman 07 and 08 had to work both times the drags were on. Did get to see heap of cars around town.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:26 PM   #14
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti
What gets me is when you see a car in a colapsing old shed, you approch the owner with the idea of picking up a good project base, and your honust that you want to hot rod it, thye tell you no it would be a waste of a classic (hmpf Ok thats their opinon and their entiteld to it) but when you see it 3 years later wit ha hook through the roof on its way to sim's it gives you the $hits

The other one that has happend to me is you get to talking to the guy, hes not sure if he wants to sell it (might do it up one day) then the guy sells the property and leavs it behind for the new owner to push in to a heap with a D9 along with all the other rusty water tanks and junk on the block ber for it gets developed :(
my young brother (toyota dude) has a fairly rare old supra 30 or 40 left in australia, at one time he was going to sell it but had an abundance of tyre kickers comeing around and almost wanting it for free or just wanting parts of it , i can see how some owners would get a bit of attitude at times.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2010, 02:38 PM   #15
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird 17
i can't see a superoo sticker on it.
The photo's too small to pick it up in the stripe, perhaps you're thinking XW?
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2010, 02:39 PM   #16
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

My mates has a genuine HK GTS Monaro...327 Bathurst edition, rare as rocking horse dung. Had intentions to do it up, now all it does is sit under a house behind a 1 ton concrete block.

Roof is nearly rusted through now, so are the floor pans...Pity, beautiful car. I know for a fact it'll sit under the house for countless years until it is worth nothing. Worst part, owner doesn't care.

Here it is:

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2010, 02:42 PM   #17
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

seen photos of that car before somewhere... (another thread)...
Old 09-02-2010, 02:52 PM   #18
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah fair enough, it has the Super roo’s they are just faded so they are hard to see in the photo.

I just spotted this thing and thought what the hell. North west town, some old guy proberbly just has it as his lappa and don't even know what he's sitting on.

Galaxy xr8> your story sounds like it needs a flat bed Truck at 2am on a dark stormy night!
Old 09-02-2010, 03:06 PM   #19
LimeGlaze
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep, "barn finds" are getting harder to find, but they're still out there. I play baseball with a guy whose Father lives 800M from my house, and has a HT?G?K Monaro in the back shed. I've known about it for years, and to this day still have not asked about the car, because I know one day I will, the owner will sell it to me and then expect to see the finished car in the driveway shortly after - and I have enough on my plate atm!

No, I won't tell you where it is either!:P
LimeGlaze is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2010, 03:10 PM   #20
FERG_51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dont know if it is orig or not, BUT it has a std Falcon mirror on it.
FERG_51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 10:16 AM   #21
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

I have seen a few "barn finds" over the years.. There is an xp ute sitting in a paddock between Muswellbrook and Singleton. Has been there for years.. My uncle with the model t etc has an original fc holden wagon sitting in his shed that needs a resto and i'll almost put money on it that it hasnt got any rust.. A mate of mine has a few old valiants sitting up the back of his place rotting away including a panelvan. Also a few XE falcons and an old austin. Old fellow just up the road has a EH or EJ sedan sitting in his shed.. See it every now and then when the garage door is open..its all dusty and unused.. I've got my old 67 XR wagon sitting up under my uncles shed not doing anything. Would love to do it up but money is the issue lol

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

tankclare is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 10:43 PM   #22
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Sad to think that these owners think that their rusting relics are worth a fortune, in their eyes, as they are, but have no intention of restoring them themselves. They see the high prices of rare, restored cars, and think it has the same value.
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2010, 10:47 PM   #23
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Currently eyeing off a neighbours XT Falcon, going to waste in a paddock. Appears in quite good nick, paint appears to be Yellow Blaze (maybe not a factory colour but still) Just working up the courage to ask him about it. Would be a lot safer in my nice dry garage
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2010, 01:15 AM   #24
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I wish my old uncle in willunga would listen to me. His coupe collection, which is more of a crushed-coupe-and-old-Holden collection, is sitting in his ditch on the rear of his property. He used to pick up falcons(as they lasted longer, he said) back in the mid 80's and early 90's and used them as transport around the farm. Unfortunatly, they never got services, new parts or repairs. Just drove them till they died, the towed them out back and dumped them. A few 4 doors, several coupes, old VK and VL holdens, even a camira and an EA are all out there. None of the coupes where anything rare, mostly 6cyl columns, but one was a fairmont V8 and yes, that one is also rusting away out there. Makes me sad to know all this I guess!
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2010, 12:25 PM   #25
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool Barn finds

It seems that any time you find something decent to do up the owner is arragant or not interested
I knew of a house in Brisbane that had about 50 cars in the back yard all just rotting away anyway the one I was interested in was a
Mk1 Zephyr convertable so I asked about buying it and was told nothings for sale Im keeping them all anyway as the years went on the canvas roof rotted away and the floor rotted out and the last time I went around there all the cars were gone and the house knocked down
so who knows what happened
John
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2010, 12:53 PM   #26
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know where there is an XA Falcon 500 with a 302 in it, it's been sitting for at least 10 years, hasn't moved an inch. The owner will not part with it, as hard as I may try to get it.
Forced Performance Tuned
SLO AU XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2010, 05:10 PM   #27
Neeek
65 Galaxie Hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty85
Currently eyeing off a neighbours XT Falcon, going to waste in a paddock. Appears in quite good nick, paint appears to be Yellow Blaze (maybe not a factory colour but still) Just working up the courage to ask him about it. Would be a lot safer in my nice dry garage
JFDI, mate! Rust doesn't sleep.

And the car in the first post looks a bit like an XW GT that gets around near where I live, driven by an old bloke with a big white beard. Bumped into him at the local 7-11 and asked him about the car (I was in the wagon, so it's quite easy to strike up a conversation!).

First thing he said was "no, it's not for sale"!! Had a very brief conversation with him as he got back into his car after buying a paper or something and managed to gleen that it was a real GT, he's had it since it was two years old, and he'll be buried in it. Needs a LOT of TLC (rusty sills, guards, door bottoms and God only knows where else) and looks like it's been to the moon and back, through every muddy field known to man. I see him every now and again and he always waves.

And I'm still waiting for my own barn-find. Don't frequent too many barns, though, so I won't hold my breath.

Neeek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2010, 11:01 PM   #28
BIGTRAV

There is an xa coupe with gt parts on it in a little town near Traralgon (dont think its orig) but will never sell as i have tried and also just next door to him is an xbgs coupe with a 460 fitted and will not sell. They have been there at least 14 years now out in the weather.Its just sad. There are still a few barn finds out my way like a xm ute with 47000 miles in mint cond, hasnt been driven for over 35-40years. Wont sell. I did find a 74 buick, 455 bb, running and a 60 chev roller all in a paddock 5 mins from my house and he will sell. Told me $2000 for buick and $1000 for chev. Both need a fare bit of work. If you know anyone interested give me a pm as they will just sit there and rot and i have too many projects.
70 XY FAIRMONT, 6,AUTO. SOON TO BE V8.
05 BA FUTURA, 6 AUTO.
74 F100, 302.
95 CR 500 DIRTBIKE.
96 CR 500 DIRTBIKE.
78 PE 250 DIRTBIKE.
78 XL 250 DIRTBIKE.
BIGTRAV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 12:58 AM   #29
ieatsports_cars
proud member of the MFCC

i dont know if you watch love the beast ! there is a section in their from Doctor phil about keeping things ! some thing about people not want to sell ! people just want to keep it becasue of memories from child hood ! and they just tell them rust ! becasue they know it is their !! can some one corredt me if they have seen love the beast
ieatsports_cars is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2010, 04:34 PM   #30
SVTVNM
Guzzler

Came across these on the net and thought I would put them up, not sure if they are a re-post, I have not seen them. Hope they are something new.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
SVTVNM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post