Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-03-2010, 09:44 PM   #1
Petal123
Starter Motor

Smile Want to buy a ford with an integrated GPS

Hi all you Ford people!!

I would like my next car to be a new or near new Ford. Something in the small car range, either sedan or hatchback between $30 - $40K

I really really want to get one that has an integrated GPS navigator but I cannot find out anything on the internet.

So I was hoping someone on the forum could point me in the right direction.

Thanks!!

Petal123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 09:50 PM   #2
Stoney!
Happy Volkswagen owner

Volkswagen golf 118tsi DSG(auto) with the RNS 510 SAT NAV system, unbeatable engine and gearbox and one of the best SAT NAV systems in the industry...

Not to mention the highest quality interior in its class and awesome standard little gizmo's

Stoney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
Holden are kicking the enemy when they are down. Trouble is Ford seems to lay down a lot.
Stoney! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 09:55 PM   #3
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

and costs about $700 to update the maps.

Most inbuilt systems are expensive to update maps and an expensive option to start with, along with the fact that many are difficult to program. Personally I would just stick with a portable unit, cheap to buy, cheap to replace if they malfunction, easier to use and much cheaper to update maps.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:59 PM   #4
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney!
Volkswagen golf 118tsi DSG(auto) with the RNS 510 SAT NAV system, unbeatable engine and gearbox and one of the best SAT NAV systems in the industry...

Not to mention the highest quality interior in its class and awesome standard little gizmo's

Stoney!
Quote:
Originally Posted by In first post
I would like my next car to be a new or near new Ford
:
Old 10-03-2010, 10:00 PM   #5
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They only model i know thats has intergrated gps is the falcons but it a option and i doubt it would be cheap.
I just checked fords website and it was the only one listed . Allthough i would have thought the Mondeo Titanium would have it
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 10:04 PM   #6
Petal123
Starter Motor

Your replies are fast and awsome, what a great site you have here.

The reason I am a bit over the portable ones is that I am tired of them falling off the windscreen in hot weather and having an ugly cable from the cigarette lighter up to them.

It would be so nice to have it all inbuilt. Hubby has a Ford Fairlaine GHIA 2006 that has one but it was put in after market (before we got it) into the sound system but still is great and easy to use.

I would love something like that in a smaller car.

hmm will have to look at that Volkswagen but never thought of buying a Volkswagen was really thinking of a Ford (auto by the way). !!
Old 10-03-2010, 10:05 PM   #7
Petal123
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy
They only model i know thats has intergrated gps is the falcons but it a option and i doubt it would be cheap.
I just checked fords website and it was the only one listed . Allthough i would have thought the Mondeo Titanium would have it
I am just so surprised in 2010 it isn't much more standard in a car :
Old 10-03-2010, 10:07 PM   #8
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

petal - u can always get an FG without gps and pay our site sponsor ASL $1000 (current mths special) to install one for you. Fits into factory screen just like the factory unit

But doesnt have suna traffic updates
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 10:07 PM   #9
Petal123
Starter Motor

Here is another thought. I have an iPhone and I have put Tom Tom maps onto it but I haven't purchased the car cradle for it yet.

Has anyone used this system and if yes how did it work for you???

It would solve the problem of where to put my iPhone and also give me GPS navigation
Old 10-03-2010, 10:20 PM   #10
T3man
Banned

I still trying to come to grips with a lady having a GPS. How do you cope with a man ('s voice) telling you where to go?
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 10:23 PM   #11
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petal123
I am just so surprised in 2010 it isn't much more standard in a car :
I agree with you there .
I just checked the ford website Mondeo Titanium Hatch does have navigation
if you click the Mondeo Titanium then innovation and tech then human machine interface.
I dont know what they cost but i would be suprised if the cost more then 40k
Old 10-03-2010, 10:27 PM   #12
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
I dont know what they cost but i would be suprised if the cost more then 40k
43k plus on roads for the petrol.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:30 PM   #13
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
43k plus on roads for the petrol.
Well its not cheap but even i find it impressive just looking at the website .If it came in rwd or awd i would buy one for the missus
Old 10-03-2010, 10:32 PM   #14
Stoney!
Happy Volkswagen owner

GeckoGT: My maps were updated for free when the new version came out.

B2TF: Just wanted to give Petal some options.

Petal: I bought a golf in novemeber last year after comparing to many different other cars including i30, focus, mazda 3, astra and the insipid corolla. It came out fields ahead of the competition with only a small premium being asked considering the extra gadgets it has in it.

Build quality is second to none and integrated option are exactly that, nothing looks like an after thought.

I share this with anyone looking at buying a small car now because after driving a corolla, I believe everyone should see how much greener the grass is on the other side.

Stoney!

Quote:
Holden are kicking the enemy when they are down. Trouble is Ford seems to lay down a lot.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:34 PM   #15
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Well its not cheap but even i find it impressive just looking at the website .If it came in rwd or awd i would buy one for the missus
No it is not cheap but it is a lot of car for the money and with heaps of features though. Personally i would go 45k for the diesel, 320nm against 208nm, the diesel would be a much nicer drive.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:37 PM   #16
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Inbuilt and portable SatNavs use completely different base technology. There are several threads on them here on AFF. The inbuilt are FAR superior as a navigation unit but do not have the farkles that many seem to crave with everything the own.

One incorrect fact that should be set right, the update DVD for the B series Falcons is a DENSO from WhereIs and retails for under $295.

While this is more than the $100 to $200 you pay for Navtomins, Advan 103s & P-Zeros cost more that Bob Jane All Rounders and they are all the same aren't they......

N.B. It is a DVD....not an encrypted online system which is quite difficult to "aquire".
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 10:39 PM   #17
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
No it is not cheap but it is a lot of car for the money and with heaps of features though. Personally i would go 45k for the diesel, 320nm against 208nm, the diesel would be a much nicer drive.

Being european i would imagine the diesel would be quite refined . An yes lots of goodies blows the falcon out of the water in terms of gadets. Does look to shabby either.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:25 PM   #18
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Being european i would imagine the diesel would be quite refined . An yes lots of goodies blows the falcon out of the water in terms of gadets. Does look to shabby either.
Friend of mine at work has the mondeo titanium diesel and loves it, well featured, goes well and runs on the smell of an oily rag.

Quote:
Inbuilt and portable SatNavs use completely different base technology. There are several threads on them here on AFF. The inbuilt are FAR superior as a navigation unit but do not have the farkles that many seem to crave with everything the own.

One incorrect fact that should be set right, the update DVD for the B series Falcons is a DENSO from WhereIs and retails for under $295.

While this is more than the $100 to $200 you pay for Navtomins, Advan 103s & P-Zeros cost more that Bob Jane All Rounders and they are all the same aren't they......

N.B. It is a DVD....not an encrypted online system which is quite difficult to "aquire".
Not going to go into it too much but QAS used a more expensive inbuilt system into all the sedans but with the new ambulances and sedans we have changed to garmin nuvi systems that have antenna and hard wired power. Cheaper to set up, cheaper to update, easier to follow and we all prefer the new ones. The inbuilt, DVD loaded systems were garbage, they take so long to input an address the airway obstruction will be well and truly dead before I get there. My station officer car does not have one of the new units so I use my own portable in preference. But then again, have a look as they are not all the same.

Do the maths, couple of grand for the option of the sat nav and then $300 (apparently for Ford, chrysler and mercedes is $700) for updates every year. Personally I do not think the portables are disadvantaged in function at all, they can be permanently attached and powered with no cords and you save approx $2000 over the life of the car. Food for thought.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:32 PM   #19
MOND30
If You Seek AU

Sorry but my 09 Mondeo Titanium diesel does not have integrated GPS. I believe it's available in Europe but not here.

Yes the screenshots on the Ford website do show 'Navigation' as an option, but trust me it's not there (the odo etc are in miles, that's another pointer). The menu options are actually quite different.

Had it a couple of months now and am *very* happy with it. Gadgets are very nice, love the voice control, adaptive cruise and the swivel headlights. Only disappointing thing is that I'm averaging 10L/100km around town. Have seen 6s and 5s on the highway though...

Cheers.
[/hijack]
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5x..._OYiDekVUlmEhg

Last edited by MOND30; 10-03-2010 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Can't spell.
MOND30 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2010, 12:00 AM   #20
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Friend of mine at work has the mondeo titanium diesel and loves it, well featured, goes well and runs on the smell of an oily rag.

Not going to go into it too much but QAS used a more expensive inbuilt system into all the sedans but with the new ambulances and sedans we have changed to garmin nuvi systems that have antenna and hard wired power. Cheaper to set up, cheaper to update, easier to follow and we all prefer the new ones. The inbuilt, DVD loaded systems were garbage, they take so long to input an address the airway obstruction will be well and truly dead before I get there. My station officer car does not have one of the new units so I use my own portable in preference. But then again, have a look as they are not all the same.

Do the maths, couple of grand for the option of the sat nav and then $300 (apparently for Ford, chrysler and mercedes is $700) for updates every year. Personally I do not think the portables are disadvantaged in function at all, they can be permanently attached and powered with no cords and you save approx $2000 over the life of the car. Food for thought.
How well do they work when there is no GPS signal?

Inbuilt units work perfectly. And before you ask, I have lost GPS signal several times in both car and aircraft over the years. In addition to system failure (you need at least 4 sats to get a fix), tunnels, tall buildings, rain forest and roads overshadowed by mountains all have issues with signals.

It is somewhat amusing that in one thread you go on about distractions and dangerous driving yet you are push the SatNav that you can actually program while moving rather than being forced to become stationary and requires to to concentrate on a smaller touch screen rather than that tactile feel of a remote.........

I had a Ford SatNav in both my GT-P and second F6. In 190,000km it never got lost or confused. I also have 2 TomToms, a Navman and Garmin Zumo. All of them have had spits and tried to send me up non existent roads, wrong way streets and "interesting routes".

As far as cost I am just wondering? Did you pay $900 for the factory in car sound system in your Ford or did you buy the $99 one from Brisbane Car Sound.......
Old 11-03-2010, 12:16 AM   #21
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
How well do they work when there is no GPS signal?
I imagine they don't, I don't know because it has not happened

Quote:
Inbuilt units work perfectly. And before you ask, I have lost GPS signal several times in both car and aircraft over the years. In addition to system failure (you need at least 4 sats to get a fix), tunnels, tall buildings, rain forest and roads overshadowed by mountains all have issues with signals.
Must be my imagination the new one has not failed me yet.

Quote:
It is somewhat amusing that in one thread you go on about distractions and dangerous driving yet you are push the SatNav that you can actually program while moving rather than being forced to become stationary and requires to to concentrate on a smaller touch screen rather than that tactile feel of a remote.........
Just because I can program it whilst moving does not mean I do, re read my previous post on the thread you mention and you will read that I pull over to enter the address, funny how you left that bit out here. Also I can enter an address in using a pen to touch the screen in half the time I can navigating those awful menu's using the scroll and enter remote.

Quote:
I had a Ford SatNav in both my GT-P and second F6. In 190,000km it never got lost or confused. I also have 2 TomToms, a Navman and Garmin Zumo. All of them have had spits and tried to send me up non existent roads, wrong way streets and "interesting routes".
As have the inbuilt's that the service has. Wrong roads, scenic routes, wrong suburb and on a number of occasions failed to start when the engine is turned on.

Quote:
As far as cost I am just wondering? Did you pay $900 for the factory in car sound system in your Ford or did you buy the $99 one from Brisbane Car Sound.......
Not sure what you are on about here, Super Pursuit gets premium sound standard, what is your point?

In my experience, the inbuilt's have no advantage over a decent portable so therefore they are not worth the extra expense, and that is based on a lot of experience.

Last edited by geckoGT; 11-03-2010 at 12:33 AM.
geckoGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2010, 01:04 AM   #22
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Your competitive streak is showing again.......

Google "GPS outage Australia" maybe you might learn something.

I have used GPS in every state of Australia, NZ, USA and Canada (Ford inbuilt in NT/QLD/NSW) at speeds of up to well over 400km/h for over 15 years and am actually certified to use them as a primary means of navigation (hence why I am aware of how often it fails or is at least not fully operational), not just around Brisbane and environs so possibly I may have had a bit of experience too.

You see no advantage to having a dual redundant system, that is accelerometers as well GPS, a larger screen and the audio directly connected to the internal sound system, I tend to disagree.

I believe that they are worth the extra expense in the same way I buy the best tyres and use the best fuel and oil.

That is my choice and the OP can make their choice based on evidence proffered.....
Old 11-03-2010, 01:07 AM   #23
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOND30
Sorry but my 09 Mondeo Titanium diesel does not have integrated GPS. I believe it's available in Europe but not here.

Yes the screenshots on the Ford website do show 'Navigation' as an option, but trust me it's not there (the odo etc are in miles, that's another pointer). The menu options are actually quite different.

Had it a couple of months now and am *very* happy with it. Gadgets are very nice, love the voice control, adaptive cruise and the swivel headlights. Only disappointing thing is that I'm averaging 10L/100km around town. Have seen 6s and 5s on the highway though...

Cheers.
[/hijack]

Ok thanks for clearing that up . I thought it was strange that it did not mention it anywere.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:11 AM   #24
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Your competitive streak is showing again.......

Google "GPS outage Australia" maybe you might learn something.

I have used GPS in every state of Australia, NZ, USA and Canada (Ford inbuilt in NT/QLD/NSW) at speeds of up to well over 400km/h for over 15 years and am actually certified to use them as a primary means of navigation (hence why I am aware of how often it fails or is at least not fully operational), not just around Brisbane and environs so possibly I may have had a bit of experience too.

You see no advantage to having a dual redundant system, that is accelerometers as well GPS, a larger screen and the audio directly connected to the internal sound system, I tend to disagree.

I believe that they are worth the extra expense in the same way I buy the best tyres and use the best fuel and oil.

That is my choice and the OP can make their choice based on evidence proffered.....
Like I said, maybe QAS got the dud model, but it is not impressive and nearly every paramedic prefers the new system, and we use ours on roads.

You are right, the OP can make up their own mind.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:37 AM   #25
hhaannkkyy

I have seen a few Focus' which have had portable Garmin GPS systems hard wired into the car by Ford themselves... I guess this at least alleviates the messy cable over the dash.
hhaannkkyy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2010, 07:50 AM   #26
Stoney!
Happy Volkswagen owner

It's never the same though, the system in the golf uses GPS satellites to track te car like any aftermarket unit does. However it also uses the speed of the car and direction of the wheel so when it loses signal through tall buildings or tunnels or simply weak signals.... it always knows where it is still. Thats the true meaning of integrated.

Not to mention the unit also has:-

* Touch screen phone capabilities showing your complete phone book taken from your phone, also has a dialer on the screen
* Plays DVD's
* Has a 30GB hard drive to store a truck load of music on so its always in the car and at your fingertips

and can also be upgraded to:-

* Recieve digital radio Signals
* Recieve Digital and analogue TV broadcasting if required or wanted by the owner.

It's certainly one hell of a unit and I have managed to find situations where all functions have become very helpful and convenient, Unless another car company adopts this unit from continental, I won't buy anything but VW again.

Stoney!

Quote:
Old 11-03-2010, 08:33 AM   #27
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Get an XR5 Turbo for ~33K

Get an aftermarket headunit with GPS in it

Done.

Awesome car + GPS, can't go wrong
Old 11-03-2010, 12:24 PM   #28
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Just buy whatever car you want and get one of those doohickies from Harvey Norman or Dick Smith that does satnav, DVD, MP3, and even reverse camera if you want it. They are about the same size as a CD player but 2 - 3 times as tall, and fit into the dash where the CD player would go.

If you get it installed professionally you can have whatever car you want and still have all the cool features of a GPS, DVD, MP3, Bluetooth, whatever.
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
388cube_edxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2010, 04:38 PM   #29
Petal123
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
I still trying to come to grips with a lady having a GPS. How do you cope with a man ('s voice) telling you where to go?
Easy I have a girls voice telling me where to go!!! :
Old 11-03-2010, 04:44 PM   #30
Petal123
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 388cube_edxr8
Just buy whatever car you want and get one of those doohickies from Harvey Norman or Dick Smith that does satnav, DVD, MP3, and even reverse camera if you want it. They are about the same size as a CD player but 2 - 3 times as tall, and fit into the dash where the CD player would go.

If you get it installed professionally you can have whatever car you want and still have all the cool features of a GPS, DVD, MP3, Bluetooth, whatever.
Gee thats interesting, I did not know about those things!!!!