Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-03-2010, 12:31 PM   #1
V8falcons
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default The things people do on the roads!!!!!

I was just traveling 10 minutes ago south on the hume highway near picton rd ,phesants nest servo,(just near home)when a guy decided about 500m up ahead to turn around and drive(in his little hilux) in the opposite direction to the flow of traffic on the dual lane road,I dont know how you could not know the direction of the road or if he had a death wish!!!extremly busy truck route south.

I was flashing lights and carry on waiting for a massive crash but no one in the surrounding cars seemed to care!!!!!!!!

I called 000 and they were more concerned with my name and address.

V8falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2010, 12:53 PM   #2
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I was flashing lights and carry on waiting for a massive crash but no one in the surrounding cars seemed to care!!!!!!!!
Yup thats right!

Driver attitude in this country is so pityful its not funny.
Here in Townsville the best examples of "I dont care" attitude is the fact that 99.9% of drivers don't care about red lights.

At EVERY intersection when the lights change, there will be a large number of cars driving through the red light. During peak hour at least 5 to 15 cars will drive through, sometimes up to 5seconds later (after it turns red!).

Whats proves that drivers dont care is the simple fact is that NO ONE drives off when the lights turn green. They all sit there WAITING for the red light runners. As if to say, I wont pull out because i run red lights also.

Why do they all sit there like stunned mullets?
The light is green... GO!

Surely a few near misses will stop these idiots from running red lights?
But no... everyone sits there and lets them through, even to the point where the red light runners then que across the intersection because there is a traffic jam infront of them.

What happened to road rage? Why doesnt anyone beep the horn? flash their headlights? pull out when the lights turn green?

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2010, 01:01 PM   #3
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose

Whats proves that drivers dont care is the simple fact is that NO ONE drives off when the lights turn green. They all sit there WAITING for the red light runners. As if to say, I wont pull out because i run red lights also.
Uhh...that's self preservation

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2010, 01:42 PM   #4
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No its stupidity.

Im talking about cars which are going slow, not driving though at 60km/h. These cars are sneaking in behind other cars already going through the intersection. This is peak hour traffic... where everything moves slowly.

At which point do you go then? Do you sit there until the lights go red again because everyone else is breaking the law?

Why on earth should i sit there and wait while the lights are green?

Old 22-03-2010, 02:08 PM   #5
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive wondered that before. Sometimes you dont want to enter an intersection when the light turns green if traffic is backed up on the other side, then the light turns red, the other side goes and bloody clogs it all back up again, and you cant move or else you'll block the whole intersection! Annoys me so much. My pet hate is people not checking their blind spot and coming close to hitting another car, its not hard, and it was drilled into me as a learner.

I personally dont beep unless they do something super stupid and even then Im in a signwritten work car so its not hard for them to make up some crap and ring the boss. Also, most people know if theyve done something stupid and will probably learn for next time to look and they probably already feel like an idiot. I used to beep and with the fingers out but it accomplishes nothing.

One of the stupidest things Ive seen though, and I see it once every 2 or 3 days, is on a 3 lane road, the 2 outside lanes often want to be in the middle because one of them ends and the other one is usually backed up ahead. Theyre both inline with eachother, put the blinkers on and start moving toward the centre lane at the same rate, imagine the shock they both get its funny as seeing them rip the steering wheel back the other way hahaha. Check youre blind spot idiots.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2010, 03:04 PM   #6
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ah it will all change once the promise pledge is rolled out.
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2010, 03:36 PM   #7
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy
Ah it will all change once the promise pledge is rolled out.
Old 22-03-2010, 04:13 PM   #8
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

Yeah, I had a good one yesterday on the way back from the farm yesterday... Coming down the big, curvy hill from Mapleton in to Nambour in the truck, I had a new Lexus indicate and pull in to the left hand lane to allow me to get past in the passing lane.

Just as I got to the end of it, she accelerated and pulled out in front of me - Rears of the truck locked up, stepping out in to the oncoming lane, cloud of smoke, she just carried on. Don't know what posessed her to do it, but it concerns me that I'd have been the one charged if I'd slid another three feet and crushed them in to a cube..

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2010, 04:22 PM   #9
lubby1

[QUOTE=Jim Goose]Yup thats right!
Thats why they bring in things like red light camera's, there are so many of them in sydney you hardly ever see people going through red lights,
lubby1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2010, 04:47 PM   #10
Lightning Strike GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Or they miss the exit on the freeway and then revese up the shoulder to go back down the off ramp they just missed and another classic in the left hand turn only lane they wait till the last minuite and try to pull back into the traffic OR panic and come to a complete stop in the left lane waitnig for a gap all on a 100 kmh freeway
To the OP I know where you are talking about the twin Mobil servos - how hard is it to go to the Bargo exit chuck a U turn over the bridge and go back up to the servo
And an 2019 MD Mondeo Trend Wagon in Platinum White
Lightning Strike GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2010, 05:07 PM   #11
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

A simillar thing happend to me once, was coming into the city and come to an intersection were about 6 lanes meet, 3 lanes could turn right, and the far left one could go left or right, anyway i was in the middle going right of course, and the car in the right lane next to me decided it would be quicker to go into the on coming traffic lane which we had to cross to join onto the main road again, what he had done was go the wrong side of the dividing island, not sure how it ended as it was night, raining and a few metes up the road bulidings split the 6 lanes, i was like my god that guy has turned to early! was in complete shock!
Old 22-03-2010, 05:27 PM   #12
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vctxr6ute
Maybe the other drivers have seen it all before and become just become complacent.

I have seen so much appaling driving recently I wont bother listed it here, but sad to say I am becoming complacent and expect to see something stupid everytime I go for a drive (people reversing down on ramps, people reversing down freeways in the emergency lane) According to the government these people are all safe drivers as they are not speeding.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2010, 05:40 PM   #13
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Missed his turnoff?

Only one thing worse than that is when they miss it, then decide to reverse all the way back. Don't think I've ever seen a case of a reversing motorist on a highway not repeatedly swerve into the left hand lane.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2010, 05:53 PM   #14
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can remember a few good ones i have seen in the past.

One was a mother in a tarago, complete with 4 kids. In suburbia. Went past the road she was supposed to turn down (A left turn). So she reverses all the way back towards me. Here i am flashing and beeping the horn.

Not a care in the world! She kept coming backwards, I swerve to miss her and she then does her left turn while still going backwards!!!!!!!!

The best "hoon" driver I have seen was just after some rain while at an intersection.
I was at the lights waiting to turn right. These two cars are to my left and try to race each other at the lights. Both commordores, one is a black ute, lowered, spoiler kit etc.

The ute fishtails on the wet road, but the driver doesnt let go of the pedal.
He then does a nice 360 on the wet road and then.... mounts the median strip!
The median strip is just narrower then his wheel track. So both front and rear tyres are only just touching the ground.

Does he give up then? No.... he keeps his foot down (probably destroying his tailshaft in the process) at the car rocks back and forth. Eventually it gets some grip and he launches head first into the oncoming traffic on the other two lanes of road.
He does yet another 360 as hes completely lost it again, by this stage my light goes green so i take off, only to have him run the red light, almost collect me, does a u-turn to catch up to his other mate, another 360!

******** me I didnt know wether to laugh or cry!!!!

Old 22-03-2010, 07:53 PM   #15
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

When all's said and done i feel safer driving in Vietnam these days.....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2010, 11:23 PM   #16
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351
When all's said and done i feel safer driving in Vietnam these days.....
Your probably right!
I have seen all these youtube videos shot in some asian country (or maybe Pakistan/ India?) where 100s of cars, trucks, buses, bikes, scooters, pedestrians, scooters!!! all drive seemingly like mad... yet no one seems to get hit or run into. They all mesh past each other likes cogs in a gearbox!

Old 23-03-2010, 01:14 AM   #17
Nate_Dog

not on your life my friend,
these amazing cogs in a gear box so frequently grind up casualties and spit them out, the only reason why we don't hear about it is that we are so indifferent to the carnage on our own roads, why would we give a ********** about the 60,000 (true fact) road fatalities in China in 2008, i'm sure the number in india is even higher, but life is worth even less there.

Despite the lowest common denominator doing his/her level best to cause as much mayhem as possible on our roads, we have it pretty good.
Nate_Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2010, 01:14 AM   #18
Nate_Dog

these amazing cogs in a gear box so frequently grind up casualties and spit them out, the only reason why we don't hear about it is that we are so indifferent to the carnage on our own roads, why would we give a ********** about the 60,000 (true fact) road fatalities in China in 2008, i'm sure the number in india is even higher, but life is worth even less there.

Despite the lowest common denominator doing his/her level best to cause as much mayhem as possible on our roads, we have it pretty good.
Old 23-03-2010, 01:14 AM   #19
Nate_Dog

Old 23-03-2010, 08:02 AM   #20
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate_Dog

Er lets see... 1 Billion people in china.. 60 000 killed on roads.

Old 23-03-2010, 08:24 AM   #21
fangq

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine
Yeah, I had a good one yesterday on the way back from the farm yesterday... Coming down the big, curvy hill from Mapleton in to Nambour in the truck, I had a new Lexus indicate and pull in to the left hand lane to allow me to get past in the passing lane.

Just as I got to the end of it, she accelerated and pulled out in front of me - Rears of the truck locked up, stepping out in to the oncoming lane, cloud of smoke, she just carried on. Don't know what posessed her to do it, but it concerns me that I'd have been the one charged if I'd slid another three feet and crushed them in to a cube..
Mate..you should know by now that their are some strange people up in them thar hills! Maleny to Landsborough is another hoot
Steve
fangq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2010, 03:36 PM   #22
xr_ash
Banned

Have seen an old man come down the exit ramp of the freeway and proceed to drive against the flow of traffic. Don't think it took him long to pull over and nearly cause numerous other accidents trying to turn around and go back the right way...
Some oldies should have their licences taken away and burned! I've seen so many dangerous incidents involving the elderly drivers.
xr_ash is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2010, 04:08 PM   #23
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fangq
Mate..you should know by now that their are some strange people up in them thar hills! Maleny to Landsborough is another hoot
Steve
Yeah, the proper rednecks like me are ok, but these yuppies in Lexii are a real problem... Are you a local?

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2010, 04:16 PM   #24
144HSK

I have to do a u-turn to get to work and every time there is always an idiot turning left onto the same road who doesn't see me! I have to give-way to them or else! They just look over there shoulder and plant their foot everytime. People are so gay! I can't wait to go to K-pax!
144HSK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2010, 04:36 PM   #25
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vctxr6ute

I called 000 and they were more concerned with my name and address.
You'll be lucky if the police know what road it is!
I've had incidents on that road before just to have the police operator say that it doesn't exist :
"It's a big 4 lane highway that joins Sydney to Melbourne!"
-"Oh menangle road?"

I hate to say it but calling the police will amount to nothing, even if you had a photocopy of their drivers licence, video footage and a signed confession.

I've had a couple of drivers do this to me before, seems to be more common on divided roads. I had one woman do it, when I flashed her and she realised what she'd done, she did a 3 point turn across all 3 lanes blocking traffic.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2010, 06:54 PM   #26
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmon
You'll be lucky if the police know what road it is!
I've had incidents on that road before just to have the police operator say that it doesn't exist :
"It's a big 4 lane highway that joins Sydney to Melbourne!"
-"Oh menangle road?"

I hate to say it but calling the police will amount to nothing, even if you had a photocopy of their drivers licence, video footage and a signed confession.

I've had a couple of drivers do this to me before, seems to be more common on divided roads. I had one woman do it, when I flashed her and she realised what she'd done, she did a 3 point turn across all 3 lanes blocking traffic.
Actually it does work, well it did in my case.
I was on the highway about 30km outta town (where i entered the highway) and caught up with a guy in a falcon wagon.

It was at night so i dont know if he was drunk or talking on the phone.
He was swerving from edge to edge numerous times and over correcting quite a lot.
When he was almost taken out by an oncoming semi I called Police.

They took my mobile number (yes i dobbed myself in!) and called me back so it didnt cost me anything. They didnt have any patrols in area and asked if i could follow him. As we were both heading to town it didnt matter anyways.

It did take Police about 10mins to respond, but yea one patrol car and a 4WD responded and pulled him over.

Apparently he wasnt drunk but they didnt go into further detail. They did let him go in the end. So i dunno what the story was.

But the Sergeant i spoke to was helpful and grateful I called. I felt sorry for him though as we had a bit of a chat and you could see the strain when we talked about road users!

Old 23-03-2010, 06:58 PM   #27
Nate_Dog

Quote:
Er lets see... 1 Billion people in china.. 60 000 killed on roads.
Err lets see.....
21 million cars on chinese roads, 11 million cars on ausie roads,
you do the math.
Old 23-03-2010, 08:13 PM   #28
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can look at them anyway you like...

The USA has some 300million people and 38000 road deaths on average per year.
Yet there is an estimated 80 000million cars there.
I dont see anyone in the USA concerned that nearly 40 000 people killed on the roads?
Simply because they have 300million people, so to them its a drop in the ocean.

China has 1.3Billion people, yes with only some 21million vehicles on the road.

Australia has only a poulation of 22million, some 15million vehicles, yet 1500 on average are killed yearly.

Population wise 60 000 is still a drop in the ocean.....

Most of the statistics are based per capita, because there is no real way of knowing how many people actually travel per vehicle, how many actually have licences etc etc...

Old 23-03-2010, 08:41 PM   #29
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Forgot to add that, since we have just 22million people and some 15million cars, there is no way in hell that we have 15millions cars on the road at any given time.
Most aussies/ families have at least 2 to 3 cars. Also since most car in Australia travel with at most (on average) with just 1 or 2 people in the vehicle at any given time, that taking a stab one could guess that only half the population is of driving age.
We could round it up to say 12million people could be on the road at any one time.

Now lets look at China.
21Million cars. This means that because very few people actually own a car, that one could guess that each vehicle would be actually full to capcity when driven.

Pretending that all vehicles in china are just sedans, then one could say that at any one given time at least 80million people are actually on the road at any one given time.

Old 23-03-2010, 09:10 PM   #30
XDV800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Forgot to add that, since we have just 22million people and some 15million cars, there is no way in hell that we have 15millions cars on the road at any given time.
Most aussies/ families have at least 2 to 3 cars. Also since most car in Australia travel with at most (on average) with just 1 or 2 people in the vehicle at any given time, that taking a stab one could guess that only half the population is of driving age.
We could round it up to say 12million people could be on the road at any one time.

Now lets look at China.
21Million cars. This means that because very few people actually own a car, that one could guess that each vehicle would be actually full to capcity when driven.

Pretending that all vehicles in china are just sedans, then one could say that at any one given time at least 80million people are actually on the road at any one given time.
You do statistical research for global government agencies do you?
If you're having a stab, it's a big stab in the dark and boy you won't hurt anyone with whatever it is you're stabbing away with.
Please share yor views on the global warming catastrophe, so i'll have a good laugh tomorrow

Where do people come up with this stuff?
XDV800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post