Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-06-2010, 06:32 PM   #1
QIK006

Default 6000km FG XR6T Issues... Secret Squirrel, please help

G'day Guys

I need a little inside help from someone inside Ford.
I have had what appears to be a catastrophic failure (well catastrophic to me ) on my JAN 2010 Build FG XR6T and was hoping for a bit of info on what is happening with our toy car

The guys at the dealership have been great in regards to helping us out, but havn't given much info regarding what is happening with the car itself.

I talked with Ford CRC Today, and the lady didn't give much info apart from "I will open an investigation & let you know"

If your able to help me, please PM me and I will fill you in on the whole situation.

Regards

Gary

The only issue with our new FG XR6T is that no one has told me how to prevent the stains on my shorts that happen ever time i mash the accelerator pedal : and now the lil dint in the rear bumber http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...30#post4142130

My speed limiter is set to 120 - anything over that and she punches me in the arm.
QIK006 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2010, 06:53 PM   #2
82XD393.3v
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

might help if you gave a run down on what this failure is and what you know

FG F6 Manual 366RWKW tuned by BLUE POWER

82XD393.3v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2010, 07:25 PM   #3
QIK006

Don't know much, that is the issue.

I have heard some pretty outlandish things from our Customer service consultant at the dealership, like our engine is being pulled out and being shipped from QLD back to the plant in Vic to investigate before they will do anything. but yet they wont tell me anything in regards to what they have diagnosed.

This is why I would like to talk to "secret squirrel" and I can fill him in on any info, like rego, CRC ref no's and the signs and symptoms that have caused what has happened etc etc and hopefully he can tell wtf is going on with our car

I have trawled the site to see if there has been anything like this so far, and haven't found a single example of this, so until I have an answer outcome, from FORD, I will only talk with the people that can help the situation, not enflame it
The only issue with our new FG XR6T is that no one has told me how to prevent the stains on my shorts that happen ever time i mash the accelerator pedal : and now the lil dint in the rear bumber http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...30#post4142130

My speed limiter is set to 120 - anything over that and she punches me in the arm.
Old 15-06-2010, 07:27 PM   #4
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Talk to the service manager at the dealer whos trying to diagnose it. They will know more then the rest of us.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2010, 07:34 PM   #5
QIK006

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
Talk to the service manager at the dealer whos trying to diagnose it. They will know more then the rest of us.
I did today, and he said that Something this majo,r the bigwigs at FORD want to have their hand in the decisions and the investigations on what has happened.
So basically, he is unable to tell me what has happened as the one guy that can make the decision to warrant this part hasn't said "it is bulletproof, cant happen, so it hasn't happened".... yet

Old 15-06-2010, 07:43 PM   #6
82XD393.3v
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so did you experience the problem or did they find it in service
can u give us a idea what made you relise there was a issue with the car

Old 15-06-2010, 07:58 PM   #7
QIK006

PM sent 82XD393.3v

Old 15-06-2010, 08:02 PM   #8
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pointless thread really,you give no clue as to what is wrong. If its a genuine thing then I highly doubt anyone here is going to 'inflame' the thread.
There are a lot of very clued up people on this forum and I'm sure someone would be able to help. So how about you tell us the problem. You might be surprised.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2010, 08:07 PM   #9
QIK006

it isn't pointless, I am asking for someone who works for FORD to help me out, with any information that FORD has found regarding my car, that FORD has. Not for it to be diagnosed by the guys on the forum, I agree there are many people here that could Diagnose, and probably tell me how to fix it, but seeing as FORD are investigating it, and to the extremes that they are going to investigate it, shows that there is something Major afoot.

Old 15-06-2010, 08:12 PM   #10
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Question

Hang on,youve forked out something like 40 large and they wont tell you whats wrong with your vehicle?

If someone else(jeesus/pope I dont care) on this forum was able to get hold of that info I would be less than pleased at Ford let me tell you.

This would come under customer service surely?

At least say if its mechanical,electrical or something.You cant offer us lollies then take them back,lol.
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2010, 08:14 PM   #11
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

More than likely the service department have no idea and neither do Ford, hence the fact they want the vehicle.
Old 15-06-2010, 08:16 PM   #12
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by QIK006
it isn't pointless, I am asking for someone who works for FORD to help me out, with any information that FORD has found regarding my car, that FORD has. Not for it to be diagnosed by the guys on the forum, I agree there are many people here that could Diagnose, and probably tell me how to fix it, but seeing as FORD are investigating it, and to the extremes that they are going to investigate it, shows that there is something Major afoot.
And then there is the fact that if its happened to you it may happen to someone else...an ounce of prevention etc. Forewarned is forarmed.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2010, 08:18 PM   #13
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

I'm sure there would be many people on the forum who could help you out or atleast point you in the right direction. A few people here would have possibly experienced something similar, or atleast know Ford's proceedure and would be able to tell you what to expect. The possibility of someone within Ford coming onto the forum and then going back to work, digging into your particular case and then informing you is pretty slim.

There is a wealth of information here among the members, telling people what the issue is will improve your chances of getting good information. If the car wasn't modified then you're only going to be playing a waiting game with Ford for them to fix it - which they will have to whether they like it or not. I'd lean towards the suggestion that your dealership has no idea and don't have the courage to tell you that they needed to send it to Ford to have it diagnosed properly (?)
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2010, 08:22 PM   #14
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

I never worked in a stealership, but some of the things mechanics i've worked with who were ex-stealership told me made my hair stand on end. You know, old blokes with a brand spankers WK Caprice take the car in for the 10,000k service and get told it's just waiting for the right oil filter or some such when really it's an entire donk rebuild because of some major failure. And there were many stories similar, people with really really new expensive cars having donk swaps or rebuilds and the owners being told basically NOTHING.
Old 15-06-2010, 08:41 PM   #15
JK EX CHASER
Formally kotevski22

I got, it if it is what i think it is ford will not benefit,i will just say it starts with,T.Just for the record.
JK EX CHASER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2010, 08:45 PM   #16
82XD393.3v
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK EX CHASER
I got, it if it is what i think it is ford will not benefit,i will just say it starts with,T.Just for the record.
whats that the tyres

Old 15-06-2010, 08:50 PM   #17
JimNiki
71Mach1

but apart from that, your XR6 is ok?
violets are #0000FF
all my base
are belong to you
JimNiki is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2010, 09:04 PM   #18
cant
CANT !!!!!!!!

Some interesting input to your problem here.

If mine swollowed a bug and my dealership had it, i wouldnt be leaving the service managers office till i had an understanding !

And a comparable courtesy car to drive at no cost till my car is fixed/replaced !!!!!!!!!

Goodluck friend

Better to be late, than
VERY LATE !!!! :

YEAH HA !!!!!!!!
cant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2010, 09:09 PM   #19
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by QIK006
Gary

This is your signature.

Quote:
The only issue with our new FG XR6T is that no one has told me how to prevent the stains on my shorts that happen ever time i mash the accelerator pedal
Is that the 'problem'?

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2010, 09:13 PM   #20
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

So 6000 km is not a scheduled service.

So QIK must have had some symptoms of a problem happening to take it to the dealer.

Surely the service manager should fill him in on the problem. If it was mine I would want to know the ins and outs and what exactly they are doing so I can then fully assess the situation, also to satisfy myself there wouldnt be any problems related to it in the long term. Never come across anything that the service manager is so secretive.

Ford is a big company, would be very lucky to get someone here first of all who would know about this, and secondly will give information that the service manager wont give away. It then reverts back to the service manager, why doesnt he say whats happening? Very puzzling.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2010, 09:18 PM   #21
nb_351
building the xe...

they wont tell you things sometime because possibly its something theyve done and made a mistake on... but seeing as it hasnt really had a service before they couldnt really have put the wrong oil in it or something silly like that...
or if its something thats embarassing for the product theyll try and cover it up...
we had a lot of cases of both scenarios when i was at nissan
nb_351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2010, 09:26 PM   #22
itchy brother
Windsor Warlords

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82XD393.3v
whats that the tyres
Maybe it was the tacho??
Old 15-06-2010, 09:26 PM   #23
QIK006

Sorry for not being too forthcoming , but I am more than concerned with the way that I have been kept out of the loop when it comes to FORD. The issues as they happened are

1. power steering fluid leak since the 3000km service (just over 1 month) down to the point where the steering was jerky. Unsure if this is related to the main issue

2. Pinging under load. anywhere over 5000 rpm, but not something that I could reproduce at the drop of a hat for the mechanic. (have always used 98 premium since the day we bought it)

3. Extremely noticeable metallic rattle (like a loose chain) at 3000rpm and again at 5000rpm, and anywhere between the two.

Originally the guys in the service dept said they would have to send the engine back to Melb for replacement, then it was to Melb repair, now they HAVE sent the PCM back to Melb, so that the techs down there can have a look at it, this I do not understand, as the guys up here can read the same things as the guys down there, and email the reports to them (or so I have been told by the service manager up here)and will possibly do doing the repairs up here.

I have talked to another service tech in another ford dealership, and he is unable to get any info for me regarding this, but he has only ever heard of one car having an engine getting this sort of attention from FORD, and it was a replacement engine, not a repair job.

I originally thought a stretched timing chain, but have overheard some of the mechanics involved with our car talking about the big end bearing, and how it shouldn't have done that?

Old 15-06-2010, 09:37 PM   #24
CODSASR

Big end bearings that become problematic have to be fixed by having the entire engine and machining to be completely stripped down and the crankshaft and other critical inner components have to be re machined and reground.

The identification of this problem is by sound. One can make out the distinctive sound of a solid piece of metal being struck by a hammer when something has to do with the bearings going bad. The sound is caused by the piston touching the head.

Is that what it sounded like?

Picture is of the result of bad big end bearings gone too far. Conrod broke through the block and smashed timing case ( not a ford but can happen to any motor)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg block.jpg (33.6 KB, 228 views)

Last edited by CODSASR; 15-06-2010 at 09:43 PM.
CODSASR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2010, 10:53 PM   #25
Falcman0o7
Banned

What a dumb thread.
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2010, 10:55 PM   #26
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would be asking for a replacement XR6...lemon laws are needed in Aus..ASAP!!!
Old 15-06-2010, 10:57 PM   #27
Full Noise
Life begins at 40
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cant
If mine swollowed a bug and my dealership had it, i wouldnt be leaving the service managers office till i had an understanding !

And a comparable courtesy car to drive at no cost till my car is fixed/replaced !!!!!!!!!
Jebus, you’re kind. For these problems to occur at 6000 ks, I’d be demanding a new car, simple as that.

Then they can take their time and stuff around with their little problem as much as they like.

Edit: csv8 bet me to it by that much.
Full Noise is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2010, 09:27 AM   #28
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If the PCM has been sent to Ford HQ, can they identify the driver's habits, for example, showing the driver has spent a lot of time at WOT ( especially with a cold engine) as the cause of the problem?
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2010, 09:30 AM   #29
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Dunno if it helps and I don't have any details at all, but speaking with my father who is a mechanic, he said that apparently the FG 6 cylinders have developed a habit of stopping anytime with warning, and not wanting to start again.

Vague I know, but maybe someone here has heard of a similar issue?

Ed
Old 16-06-2010, 09:34 AM   #30
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaned
If the PCM has been sent to Ford HQ, can they identify the driver's habits, for example, showing the driver has spent a lot of time at WOT ( especially with a cold engine) as the cause of the problem?
Most likely yes, You'll probably find that they'll void your warranty if you've been thrashing the car. Anyone remember that GT-R case?
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post