Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 26-06-2010, 02:38 PM   #1
crdave
Blue Blood

Default Lowering the Ghia

I have recently bought an AUII Fairmont Ghia and i am considering lowering it. Nothing too drastic, just wouldn't mind it sitting a bit lower. Also I will be putting wheels on it probably something like the CSA Vanquish in 18 x 8. Is there anything I need to know before going ahead with lowering?

crdave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2010, 11:31 PM   #2
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Hey mate, welcome to the forums.

You could go a couple of ways, I went the cheap route (read: least comfy) and threw monroe gas gt shocks / struts all round, with kings lows in the front and super lows in the rear. Needed to get shortened shocks for the rear to fit the SL's. Handling is 10 fold better than stock, but ride harshness is akin to dragging your butt on the water behind a boat at 60k's an hour with a cross wind blowing up the waves, EVERY bump is felt. If you have the money, koni's (spelling?) seem to be the ducks nuts according to everyone on here.

This however will sit the car almost perfectly level, with about 10mm clearance from the top of your tyre. Not sure how it will go fitting the rims under it but it should be alright. If you just went to lows all round you will maintain a comfy ride, but still have better handling than stock.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2010, 12:16 PM   #3
sbcb
BA Xr8

Some info here mate.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...41#post3196341
sbcb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2010, 12:43 PM   #4
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

crdave, that's gonna result in the worst ride in the world
even though grandpa spec's done it the entry-level way, he still runs 16" wheels, and the ride is as he says. If you team that with 18"s, you're gonna need back surgery in a week.
Old 27-06-2010, 10:55 PM   #5
Auturbo6
The only thing u'll see!!

Ive recently spotted fully adjustable coilovers to suit AU on E-bay. Brand new, $990
Was about to purchase, however new (DUCKS NUTS) clutch installed last week, still can't handle the power, so have no option but to go all the way.
P.S. If going the king spring way, DO NOT install super lows.
Auturbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2010, 10:35 AM   #6
crdave
Blue Blood

Cheers guys, its good to get helpfull advice here. I figured this would be the place to ask as there was bound to be someone who's already had a go at it. I might end up going the Pedders way as kristo said in the other thread and maybe just a set of 17's but they're not that common in 8's i dont think, so we'll have to see. Got a good contact at Pedders on the weekend so i'll go talk to them and see what we come up with. Thanks for the help.
Old 28-06-2010, 06:11 PM   #7
adumb
FG G6ET

I have KYB shortened shocks and King Spring Lows and the ride isn't too bad, sits around XR6 height. Could be a bit lower but I have a body kit and it dosen't scrape on anything now.
adumb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2010, 06:51 PM   #8
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdave
maybe just a set of 17's but they're not that common in 8's i dont think, so we'll have to see.

I think you've been given a bum steer with this comment. 17 X8's are the most common 17" wheel round. You fit a 235/45X17 on it

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2010, 10:54 AM   #9
crdave
Blue Blood

Yeah that came from a tyre joint trying to sell me on the 18's so they may have been full of it hey. After looking more you're right theres plenty to choose from in 17 x 8's. The same guy didn't know that the Ghia's had IRS. When i asked about it he said " IRS, thas rare but no worries its no different to every other AU. Somehow i dont think i'll be going there.
Old 29-06-2010, 11:05 AM   #10
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

yeah my opinion is to never go larger than 17"s on an AU unless you really don't view ride comfort as a priority
Old 29-06-2010, 11:48 AM   #11
crdave
Blue Blood

yeah when i first got it I thought this thing feels like riding on a sponge. Then again I have been driving a hilux ute and a fiesta that feels like a go kart on the road.
Now iv'e got used to the luxo comfy factor its not too bad but I would like it a little firmer but not too harsh so 17's def sound like the go.