Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 30-06-2010, 10:41 AM   #1
crdave
Blue Blood

Default AUII Diff noises

My partners AUII has a sort of ticking knocking noise coming from the diff area. So i stuck it on the jack stands and rotated the back wheels just to check it out. Her ex has been doing the servicing on the car for the past few years but i dont think the diff would have ever been touched and theres all sorts of noises when you spin the wheels. Bearings etc and centre sound pretty noisy.
So my question is if it comes to it i was thinking of just replacing the whole diff. Which ones would be the best option and which would bolt straight in.

crdave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2010, 12:46 PM   #2
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

i wouldn't change a diff just based on a few little noises
imo you'd look at wheel bearings etc first
Old 01-07-2010, 07:32 PM   #3
Auturbo6
The only thing u'll see!!

Noisy axle bearings will transfer their noise through the housing, giving the illusion of the centre being the issue. Haven't had too many issues with AU diffs wilst Taxis, and mine has 557,000km on it. Ba's on the other hand, where does one start.......
Auturbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2010, 09:28 PM   #4
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i would also be checking tailshaft uni`s !
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2010, 09:38 PM   #5
Auturbo6
The only thing u'll see!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
i would also be checking tailshaft uni`s !

Have never replaced Uni's on EL- on falcons. No matter how many K's on the clock. Unusual in know. Just don't wear out.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:21 AM   #6
crdave
Blue Blood

Gonna chuck it on the hoist tomorrow and have a better look
Old 02-07-2010, 10:50 AM   #7
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

I'd be starting with a diff oil change and wheel bearing changes, if maintenance is an unknown these parts are better replaced anyway.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2010, 11:22 AM   #8
crdave
Blue Blood

Yeah we're gonna do those anyway because I dont think its ever been touched and have a better look at it while its on the hoist.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:52 PM   #9
adrian k
adrian

supid question, but have you checked for stones trapped behind the brake guard or the calipers at the back. they sound like the bearings are stuffed and the thing is about to fall apart, quick flick of hte stone with a key and its sorted. (only know from experience)
The tick tock though is diff. mine does it and Ford told me today they all do it and its not a big deal, just leave it.
T3 TS50 #17 275kW
AU3 XR8 SVP 220kW
adrian k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2010, 10:21 PM   #10
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auturbo6
Have never replaced Uni's on EL- on falcons. No matter how many K's on the clock. Unusual in know. Just don't wear out.
i did mine about 150000 k`odd they were`nt terrible but showed a little bit of movement.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2010, 10:46 AM   #11
crdave
Blue Blood

Stuck it up on the hoist on saturday arvo and pretty mush as I suspected, pretty much a lack of maintanence except the occasional oil change. So bearings, brakes and shocks need doing for a start. The main noise is rear left wheel bearing so we're gonna do all the bearings etc at once.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:53 AM   #12
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdave
The main noise is rear left wheel bearing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
imo you'd look at wheel bearings etc first
booyah
Old 09-07-2010, 05:26 PM   #13
colina
Starter Motor

Default AUII Diff Whine

I've been told that Ford in there wisdom changed bearing suppliers for the Differential, (Cost cutting) which causes the whining sound you here in some AUII's, Then went back to using Timken Bearings (Better Quality) the noise disappeared.
colina is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post