Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-06-2010, 10:47 AM   #1
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 
Default What Dual cab ute to buy?

Hey Guys,

Looking at dualcabs at the moment, just not enough room in the XR6 ute when you want to go away etc plus i need room for my dog inside the car.

Options so far

Toyota Hilux SR5 Petrol V6 Auto - i can get a good price on one of these as i get National Fleet Bronze on Toyotas, looking at approx $51 kay drive away.

Navara ST-X upgrade V6 Auto - these are very hard to get as Nissan are only bringing in Diesel, so I have been told by one dealer?? These are the new ones with dual zone climate / 17s standard, i drove a diesel and it was too gutless for me!

What do you guys think? The Nissan is better equiped but getting one might be an issue as well as price, as its a new model we are looking at around 55 kay drive away?

Any help appreciated.

Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2010, 11:50 AM   #2
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

1st preference - wait for the Ford Ranger replacement (T6) (release date unknown???)

2nd preference - VW Amarok (released? price? availability?)

3rd preference - the usual Hilux/Triton/Navara's that have been out for years. Whatever takes your fancy.
Old 30-06-2010, 12:12 PM   #3
CFOUR
The Destroyer

Towball on a territory/your gt+ a trailer.
Old 30-06-2010, 12:14 PM   #4
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFOUR
Towball on a territory/your gt+ a trailer.
Dont worry ive been thinking about another territory.. Ghia runouts are cheap atm.. but no, not really want I want.
Old 30-06-2010, 01:02 PM   #5
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a SR5 and a Navara, both diesel. If you buy a petrol vehicle of this type you will cop a huge loss on resale as the majority of buyers want diesel.

My Navara is up for replacement in 2 months. It is 5 years old, has over 100,000km, cost $42k new and I have been offered $25k sight unseen as a trade on a new one.

Remember, they are trucks not cars with a big boot.........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2010, 08:25 PM   #6
cedric
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the holden rodeo,what ever they call it now for 36g drive away. as good as any other i would think, and not as ugly as ranger
cedric is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2010, 08:33 PM   #7
xm289
formerly millenium_falcon

I've got a 2005 ford courier XL 4x4 turbo diesel Dualcab which is our main car, its the best car we've owned.My wife drives it everyday and I use it on the weekend with my 4WD club.
We originally were looking at a nissan but the courier was cheaper and came with more features like michellin all terrain tyres and mags, LSD and electric everything, the tray was bigger than the hilux.
I reckon you can't go passed a ranger for value for money due to the bang for your buck compared to the hilux and nissan and the ranger looks heaps better than the toyota and nissan.

thats my 2 cents worth!!!
Going Ford is the going thing!!
xm289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2010, 08:34 PM   #8
Joshmcmillan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We've got the Mazda BT-50 and it seems good. Plenty of power, and they look a lot better than the rangers.. Definitely worth a test drive anyway!! Feels a lot more like a car then other ute's I've been in, but still just as much of a workhorse when you need it to be (parents spread hay in it every day, use it to cart around 1 Ton bags and various other stuff etc.. and it handles it great)

FG XR6 Turbo, 6 Speed Manual, Silhouette .

12/78 XC Ford Fairmont Project Car. (351, 5spd)
Build Thread: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11444473

1968 Ford F350 LWB Dually. 300 Six, 4 speed. Beavertail project.

Joshmcmillan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2010, 08:34 PM   #9
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AFAIK the V6 Navara has been discontinued.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2010, 08:41 PM   #10
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedric
the holden rodeo,what ever they call it now for 36g drive away. as good as any other i would think, and not as ugly as ranger
After using 4 rodeos at work, wouldn't touch another one in a hurry. Too many reasons to list (from vehicle reliability to service department!). PM me if you want to be horrified....

Up until a month ago I would have said a Triton, but they seem to have a welch plug and rear seal issue.... (and another service department issue )

The Hilux, from my experience, just not built to be a heavy work vehicle... couldn't take a load and had constant turbo issues.

My father has a Ranger, so far 40,000k+ hasn't put a foot wrong. And he treats them rough! Big loads, big kms... Economy wise I think the Tritons are better, but it all depends on what you are using it for.

So my picks
1) Ranger
2) Triton
3) Hilux

4,002) Rodeo

And for once I agree with flappist, buy diesel, the petrol version resale value isn't that crash hot

You haven't really said what you are looking to do with it. Do you need to tow all the time, carry loads, or just more of a toy.

PS. I love how you have to have room for the dog in the car, I do too!!!
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2010, 09:47 PM   #11
TheZHLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ranger wildtrak :P
TheZHLANE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2010, 10:05 PM   #12
lubby1

I think the toyota sr5 would be your best bet if thats the kind of vehicle your looking for . I had an 89 model and only sold it last year never missed a beat, they are very reliable and probably have the best resale value in my opinoin.
lubby1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2010, 10:13 PM   #13
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melz
After using 4 rodeos at work, wouldn't touch another one in a hurry. Too many reasons to list (from vehicle reliability to service department!). PM me if you want to be horrified....

Up until a month ago I would have said a Triton, but they seem to have a welch plug and rear seal issue.... (and another service department issue )

The Hilux, from my experience, just not built to be a heavy work vehicle... couldn't take a load and had constant turbo issues.

My father has a Ranger, so far 40,000k+ hasn't put a foot wrong. And he treats them rough! Big loads, big kms... Economy wise I think the Tritons are better, but it all depends on what you are using it for.

So my picks
1) Ranger
2) Triton
3) Hilux

4,002) Rodeo

And for once I agree with flappist, buy diesel, the petrol version resale value isn't that crash hot

You haven't really said what you are looking to do with it. Do you need to tow all the time, carry loads, or just more of a toy.

PS. I love how you have to have room for the dog in the car, I do too!!!
Just need it as a work car and do some offroad work in.. Wont have anything put in the back other then house hold items etc. Im leaning towards the SR5 Diesel, not a fan of the Ranger even tho its 13 kay cheaper and better equiped. I guess its a personal thing!

Yes gotta have room for the dog, hes not allowed in the GT!
Old 30-06-2010, 10:18 PM   #14
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor
1st preference - wait for the Ford Ranger replacement (T6) (release date unknown???)

2nd preference - VW Amarok (released? price? availability?)
Personally I'd steer clear of both of these until they have been out for at least 12 months - give the manufacturers chance to iron the bugs out of an all new, untested commercial vehicle.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2010, 11:15 PM   #15
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
I have a SR5 and a Navara, both diesel. If you buy a petrol vehicle of this type you will cop a huge loss on resale as the majority of buyers want diesel.

My Navara is up for replacement in 2 months. It is 5 years old, has over 100,000km, cost $42k new and I have been offered $25k sight unseen as a trade on a new one.

Remember, they are trucks not cars with a big boot.........
I'm just curious, is your navara a D40 with the V6? I'm looking at getting into one when I sell my current car, except manual and preferably STX. How are they like to drive and live with on a day to day basis?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2010, 11:28 PM   #16
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I test drove all of the dual cabs a while a ago apart from the ranger . My pick of the bunch was the isuzu D-max allthough it had aftermarket seats and the dealer had put leather throughout . I dont need a dual cab so in the end none of them are good enough to trade my falcon ute .
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2010, 12:02 AM   #17
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mitsubishi Triton GL-R 4X4. Best power and torque in it's class, excellent fuel economy and you can't go past Mitsubishi's warranty. Around $40k drive-away in WA. Got a $50k budget? Take a look at the the GLX-R.

I won't even contemplate a petrol of any sort unless the diesel variants are absolute rubbish. As stated above petrol's have bad resale value - everyone wants a diesel in the used market? Going to tow with it? Buy a diesel.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:21 AM   #18
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree with the Triton, easily the best at the moment, and also the safest.
Current Hilux quality is pretty woeful

Old 01-07-2010, 01:31 PM   #19
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just got a demo GLR (has side steps, rear steps, alloys, arch flares, nudge bar, leather steering wheel and gear nob, carpet, ESC..) diesel last week, it looks like a 4wd (same tyres, clearance etc, but is 2wd with hard cover and tub liner, mats etc. 33 drive away. Actually handles quite well! Had a few tanks through it already! ranging from 8.5 to 9 litres per hundred and thats sitting on 120ish most of the time.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2010, 07:15 PM   #20
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual
I just got a demo GLR (has side steps, rear steps, alloys, arch flares, nudge bar, leather steering wheel and gear nob, carpet, ESC..) diesel last week, it looks like a 4wd (same tyres, clearance etc, but is 2wd with hard cover and tub liner, mats etc. 33 drive away. Actually handles quite well! Had a few tanks through it already! ranging from 8.5 to 9 litres per hundred and thats sitting on 120ish most of the time.
We service a fleet at our dealership, they have one huge-*** oil filter, it was $60 for an OEM replacement haha.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2010, 07:32 PM   #21
capriv8

The Navara series 4 stx turbo diesel now has the most power in its class, absolutley eats the Triton glxr, 140kw and torque is up from 400 to 450 also three ton towing ability. I just bought one two weeks ago to tow my race car trailer.
capriv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2010, 11:27 PM   #22
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The problem I found with the Navara diesel is it's narrow power range even with it's 6 speed manual. Get caught out in the wrong gear and it's a slug. Has that been fixed with the new engine upgrade?
Old 01-07-2010, 11:33 PM   #23
CFOUR
The Destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT Falcon
The problem I found with the Navara diesel is it's narrow power range even with it's 6 speed manual. Get caught out in the wrong gear and it's a slug. Has that been fixed with the new engine upgrade?
In short no.
My uncle is on his 3rd navara in 6 years and his 5th set of suspension.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:45 PM   #24
GUTLES
Adam.

I've driven a good range of Diesel Dual Cabs through work, IMO the Triton drives the nicest, damn ugly tho.

My Bravo is a slug until the Turbo kicks in @ 2000RPM, so ya can get caught in the wrong gear & going no where real easy, the Michelin All Terrains on it are amazing tho, 85,000km & not even half worn out!

Navara's drive nicely too, but seem to have a few reliability issues.

2007 BF Mk2 Winter White E-Gas Wagon, 6 Seater.

2002 AU3 XR6, Liquid Silver, Manual, Sunroof, LPG, Rebel Kit, BA GTP's, Momo Steering Wheel & Gear Knob.
GUTLES is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2010, 12:15 AM   #25
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Driving a Navara at the moment with 30k kms, the doors feel like they are going to shake out of the frames, the tub wobbles and squeaks on bumps, theres a clicking from the dash area when changing vent positions, and the fan is clicking. (might just be a leaf in the latter's case)

Although in saying that the other brand dual cabs arnt much better.

Oh and the Navara just got recalled for a bonnet latch issue (and the Hilux had a similar recall a few years ago)

Old 02-07-2010, 10:45 AM   #26
aquahead2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If your used to Falcon 6 cylinder levels of torque that's spread across a reasonable rev range, then steer clear of the D40 Navaras. All the people at work with them have either got rid of them or are about to, and vowed never again. Torque band is was too narrow for serious work and too many things have gone wrong. One bloke has had 2 flywheels and clutches and a complete new gear box in 30K km. In the D40’s I’ve driven, the manuals all had a gear levers that felt like they came from a 1976 Datsun 120Y

The D-max and Colorado are essentially the same but somehow the D-max gets better fuel economy and is slightly better priced.. Apparently although they are both made in Thailand (all the 4x4 utes bar the Mahindra are too), they are actually made in different factories situated just up the road from each other.

The Hilux is way too small in the back seat (worse than the Ranger/BT-50) and so over priced it's ridiculous. Also comes with crap standard tyres and needs to be optioned up to compare with the others.

The Triton has been crowned 4x4 of the year as it comes with the most advanced 4wd system available in its class and has the best safety features including stability control. Also the back seat is pretty goo too. Serious point with the new Triton, to achieve the maximum towing capability, you have to remove the new "long" tub and fit the original "curved" tub from the previous series. I don't know if there is a cost impact on this.

The auto clubs have just done a vehicle cost review of all the new vehicles on the Aussie market and for the 4x4 ute category the Ranger came out as the cheapest to own and operate. We’ve been buying them for work for the past 18 months and all have performed faultlessly and are loved buy their drivers. I reckon there the pick.

I’m little biased, I've got an 08 XLT Ranger Twin Cab with 40k km on the odo. and only minor issues (after market cruise control) in that time. It’s been a terrific truck and I am desperately waiting for the T6 to arrive.
aquahead2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2010, 10:37 AM   #27
Mitcon

Give some thought to the Triton, same safety rating as the Hilux and better than most the other 4x4 Pick-ups. Also as someone said if your going have people use the rear seat much the Toyotas are horrid though a good motor.

And deisel certainly if your worried about resale or tow as most 4WDers have a thing for diesels. Auto too is a good option, people don't give auto's enough credit and they are great for 4WD work.

But end of the day your the one paying, buy the one you like the drive of or that suits your needs as you need to be happy with it, not your mates or whoever.
Mitcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2010, 11:05 AM   #28
Ringo
I see you....

Triton Diesel Auto would be at the top of my list - it just ticks all the boxes. Fuel economy of those things is very impressive and the price is very sharp.
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2010, 11:41 AM   #29
Tickford Kid
Formerly known as TS 50

The company I work for we have had mostly 4wd's in our fleet and we keep going back to Toyota's.
We have over 300 vehicles and 90% of them are toyotas. They are great great vehicles. I have seen old 2.8 diesels with 600k on the clock.
I had a SR5 V6 last year and now have deisel and difference in fuel economy is vast. 550km out of the V6 and over 700km per tank, so the deisel will pay for itself quickly.
I won't comment on other brands but I do recommend Toyota Hilux's. They might be dearer to start with but they retain there value when you sell them as well.
BLUEPRINT T3 TS50 #109, MANUAL WITH BREMBOS
Tickford Kid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2010, 10:56 PM   #30
azzss
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS 50
The company I work for we have had mostly 4wd's in our fleet and we keep going back to Toyota's.
We have over 300 vehicles and 90% of them are toyotas. They are great great vehicles. I have seen old 2.8 diesels with 600k on the clock.
I had a SR5 V6 last year and now have deisel and difference in fuel economy is vast. 550km out of the V6 and over 700km per tank, so the deisel will pay for itself quickly.
I won't comment on other brands but I do recommend Toyota Hilux's. They might be dearer to start with but they retain there value when you sell them as well.
Yep i agree, we run a earthmoving business and the hilux is by far the best ute we have run. One of the sites we work on they have a ford ranger it was one of the most roughest utes i've ever been in.
azzss is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post