Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-07-2010, 07:32 PM   #1
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default dodgy insurance repairs by AAMI

first off i would like to point out that i have only had experiences from one AAMI office. The one in the ACT. I would also like to mention that this is not an attack on people who work for insurance companies as i am sure there is some of us forum users who are assessors, and if they are i would appreciate any feedback.

ok so ive had a long run of bad experiences over the last few years. Starting with an accident that i had in a 03 Ba xr6 sedan in 2007, at the time the car was insured for 21,000.The original repairs totaled 18,500 which as far as im aware should have ment it should have been a write off. to give you a general idea of the extent of the damage all panels apart from the read passenger door and the roof were replaced, the car was strapped to a jig to straighten the cars frame, the front end was cut off from about 10cm from the fire wall and replaced, and thats just the major parts of the repairs. not to mention i had to take it back 9 times for various issues from one engine mount completely snapped and the other badly bent. to the body of the car wasnt prepared originally after a month the paint bubbled.

after all this i sold that car for only a few thousand losing out almost 10,000 on a lost from what the pay out would have been. this was how bad the repairs were.

which ended up me buying my current car which i love, about 2 monthsfter putting a fibreglass front bar i was involved in a car park incident where somone hit the front left corner of my car cracking my nice new front bar... off to AAMI again the front bar was repaired again a poor job. the crack was nt repaired properly and the bar didnt clip into place and when i tried to push the bar into the clips the crack opened again and cracked the paint, i then spent a week fighting with AAMI to get it fixed properly. that was about 3 months ago and it had been ok as ive been busy with changing jobs hadn't had a chance to spend lots of time polishing the car and today had noticed that yet again the crack has appeared, so i plan to go back to AAMI tomoro and yet again argue to get it fixed properly.

any suggestions with how to deal with them would be appreciated. if you would like pictured of the big car crash to show how bad it was and that it shouldnt have been repaired let me know and ill post

p.s sorry for the long comments just really P*##@$ off

Old 15-07-2010, 07:47 PM   #2
slo_crossflow
Starter Motor

Take out a policy where you can choose a ''proffered repairer'' and find a panel shop that dose good work my 2cents
Old 15-07-2010, 07:48 PM   #3
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

dont aami have life time warranty

if so take it back to them and say you are not happy

they should repair it again till they get it right

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2010, 07:51 PM   #4
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah ive got the warranty plan to take it back tomoro but just annoys me the poor quality of the repairs ive got. the sad thing is that being only 21 and owning a car like mine most insurance companies would either refuse to touch me or charge through the teeth
Old 15-07-2010, 07:54 PM   #5
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Mum stacked her car and they did a dodgy sprayjob on the new front bar which bubbled and chipped away in a few weeks. AAMI insurance job.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2010, 08:12 PM   #6
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fat4D, how is your driving history? I have heard of a similar thing happening to someoelse I know. His driving history was terrible, he had a lot of insurance claims, and when he turned up with a claim that was borderline, they repaired the car. The car was never the same again.

Unfortunately insurance companies have the discretion to repair or write off.

Which state are you in? I believe some states may have different rules and guidelines.

The insurer is not the repairer. The repairer is usually the cheapest place they can find, for the repair. Although they must do work to an acceptible standard. Now you have said that you have fitted a fibreglass front bar. I am guessing aftermarket. Did you inform your insurance company of this prior to the incident? Did you have it listed on the policy? Have you taken the car back to the insurer to show them the poor workmanship? Have you requested to file a written complaint about the repairs with them?

There are certain procedures that you would be required to go through to have this dispute settled. You need to be aware of your rights and obligations. When I had an issue with a repair, I was informed I had to let the original repairer have another go at repairing the car. I refused (car never got repaired), but I lodged a complaint. The next time I needed a repair, I informed my insurer that I would not take it the same place, they informed me that they no longer use them.

If the panel beater has had 2 goes, i'm guessing that you won't need to give them a third attempt to stuff it.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2010, 08:13 PM   #7
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

was this in canberra as well? if so where did they take it?
Old 15-07-2010, 08:16 PM   #8
cant
CANT !!!!!!!!

Sorry to hear your plight

But the way youve been treated IS AAMI

As stated, get a policy with your choice of repairer

Here in Cat city they put your car out the back and have local would be repairers "quote" it and the lowest (of course) WINS = you loose !!!!!

Have known several people who have been through AAMI and unfortunately for them they dont know any better till shown !!!!

So many of the bigger repairers and small ones alike get walked over by the LARGE insurance companies

ALLWAYS specify choice of repairer and get SEVERAL recomendations before you hand over your pride and joy.......

Cheers CANT !!!!!!!!!

Better to be late, than
VERY LATE !!!! :

YEAH HA !!!!!!!!
cant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2010, 08:22 PM   #9
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

AAMI in Newcastle are good I got choice of repairer obtained my own quotes their assesor only wanted to see 2 of them and then he said where do you want it to go? (one quote I gave him was 6k paintless the other was 14k new panels and paint) was hail damage.
Dont tar all branches with the same brush their the same as ford dealerships some are great Newcastle Klosters not so......

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2010, 08:22 PM   #10
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've heard stories from others who have had shocking experiences with AAMI. I went from a Rating Four to a Rating Three last year, and my premium stayed the same with them. Rang them and they wouldn't reduce it. I'm happy with RACQ at this moment, but I suppose they are all friendly when you don't have a claim.

At the end of the day, all insurance companies want to bend you over, you just got to find one that supplies Vaseline. A harsh statement, but they're out to make money, and they won't rule out screwing us over to get the bottom line up.

Sorry for your bad experience, my suggestion, ring them and read out their 'Customer Charter' which they supposedly run by, and read out a few of the point that contradict your service. Good luck fella
Old 15-07-2010, 08:23 PM   #11
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
Fat4D, how is your driving history? I have heard of a similar thing happening to someoelse I know. His driving history was terrible, he had a lot of insurance claims, and when he turned up with a claim that was borderline, they repaired the car. The car was never the same again.

Unfortunately insurance companies have the discretion to repair or write off.

Which state are you in? I believe some states may have different rules and guidelines.

The insurer is not the repairer. The repairer is usually the cheapest place they can find, for the repair. Although they must do work to an acceptible standard. Now you have said that you have fitted a fibreglass front bar. I am guessing aftermarket. Did you inform your insurance company of this prior to the incident? Did you have it listed on the policy? Have you taken the car back to the insurer to show them the poor workmanship? Have you requested to file a written complaint about the repairs with them?

There are certain procedures that you would be required to go through to have this dispute settled. You need to be aware of your rights and obligations. When I had an issue with a repair, I was informed I had to let the original repairer have another go at repairing the car. I refused (car never got repaired), but I lodged a complaint. The next time I needed a repair, I informed my insurer that I would not take it the same place, they informed me that they no longer use them.

If the panel beater has had 2 goes, i'm guessing that you won't need to give them a third attempt to stuff it.

gday 04redxr8, ive got a perfect driving history not one claim that i have been at fault for (although that is only with 5 years driving)

i live on the boarder of the ACT and the originaly car was repaired at Edwards in Fyshwick... they seemed really good until i got the car back.

the most recent one with the front bar issue was done at Davids Smash repairs in Queanbeyan. when i had the original problem with the front bar i spoke to them they told me they didnt have to repair it because its a custom bar i shouldnt expect it to fit properly WTH!... so i took it to AAMI and they sent it back to get fixed.

im to the point as it has already been "fixed" twice that i am going to request that i take it to a repairer of my choice and i will take it to the people who made the bar originally NewGel as it fitted perfectly when they first made it.

i knew that this time would come as when i spoke to the repairer they said that the crack was reapaired using plastic repair even though it was fibreglass so it was doomed from the start
Old 15-07-2010, 08:27 PM   #12
LazyBrennan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That seems odd. Im with aami and I have life time warranty on all repairs and they told me I can pick a repairer if I know someone. When my el got totaled I had problems with the guy who quotes what it is worth, Was the rudest my arigent so and so I have ever met. We spoke to aami and they asked us what we thought it was worth and they said ok.
Maybe its just the luck of the draw, I mean the people you deal with.

10.95 @ 128MPH 1.61 60ft

My build thread

Centrelink; Funding Commodores since 1978'
LazyBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2010, 08:27 PM   #13
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

recently got a quote from Shannon's and even though its alot more every month seriously considering it. i hate to think how my car will be treated the day that i am at fault ( hopefully never happens)
Old 15-07-2010, 08:33 PM   #14
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If no one is able to repair it properly insist on a new replacement and get it resprayed.
If its been repaired a number of times and it keep breaking tell them they are just wasting theirs and your money.

Also if you accepted the car with the bar not fitted properly then that is also a problem. Before you drive away from a repairer always check the repair out in the sun with a fine tooth comb.

AAMI also stuffed my friend around when she damaged her Subaru.
She also found her front bumber wasnt on properly and her head light loom wasnt attached

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2010, 08:36 PM   #15
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that is going to be my aim tomoro when i go talk to them. im going to say request that it is eaither replaced with a standard BF gt front bar from FPV or that they pay for a new bar to be made by NewGel as ive had various work done by these guys and their work impresses me everytime
Old 15-07-2010, 08:51 PM   #16
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wondering if there is any of us out there who work for insurance companies and would be able to offer insider information?
Old 15-07-2010, 08:53 PM   #17
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

No Way AAMI cheap out on repairs...............

The AAMI Assessor would of of only authorised repair not replacement as its cheaper to repair than replace.

Then after the work has been completed on the cheap if there is an issue AAMI wipe their hands of the issue and leave it in the hands of the repairer to sort out..............

Sometimes the cheaper repair works - saves AAMI Money - sometimes it does not - Still saves AAMI money

I was under the impression you can't repair bumper bars these days - once damage they replace it with a 2nd hand one or reco one...........oh wait your one is fibreglass not plastic......

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.

Last edited by Sorted; 15-07-2010 at 08:59 PM.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2010, 08:58 PM   #18
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorted
No Way AAMI cheap out on repairs...............

The AAMI Assessor would of of only authorised repair not replacement as its cheaper to repair than replace.

Then after the work has been completed on the cheap if there is an issue AAMI wipe their hands of the issue and leave it in the hands of the repairer to sort out..............

Sometimes the cheaper repair works - saves AAMI Money - sometimes it does not - Still saves AAMI money

I was under the impression you can't repair bumper bars these days - once damage they replace it with a 2nd hand one or reco one...........
interesting to know that when you take a repair back that aami make the repairer pay for it... kinda makes you feel sorry for the poor companies that AAMI essentially stand over bully
Old 15-07-2010, 09:05 PM   #19
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorted

I was under the impression you can't repair bumper bars these days - once damage they replace it with a 2nd hand one or reco one
You can repair bumpers, i'm the Plastic repair guru at work . Comes down to cost of a replacement. Most repairs are Sanding/filling scratches, or dents, a few welding jobs come by, but most of the time a bar with a crack/split is replaced.

Some bars are a pain in the arse, polyurethane is horrid...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2010, 09:08 PM   #20
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so if its a fibreglass bar with a crack just under the passanger side head light that went straight down about 5-6cm's right through
Old 15-07-2010, 09:10 PM   #21
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat4D
interesting to know that when you take a repair back that aami make the repairer pay for it... kinda makes you feel sorry for the poor companies that AAMI essentially stand over bully
The insurance company doesn't repair the car, the Smash repair shop does.

Basically, AAMI pay for the shop to repair the car for you, as with any other customer, if the work isn't up to standard, the shop then has to pay to fix it. Not real different to if you (owner) payed for work, if your not happy, you can complain and the shop will fix it at their cost.

There is nothing alarming about cars being put on a alignment system for repair, happens often.

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 15-07-2010, 09:13 PM   #22
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Quote:
so if its a fibreglass bar with a crack just under the passanger side head light that went straight down about 5-6cm's right through

Repair, fiberglass is fairly easy to repair. A FPV fiberglass copy cost $4-600?

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 15-07-2010, 09:18 PM   #23
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the bar new was 1500 painted, im thinking maybe they are jsut using the wrong materials to fix it because the guy said that he used a plastic repair for it
Old 15-07-2010, 09:22 PM   #24
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am in Brisbane, and insured with NRMA. They are all the same. NRMA's latest way of dealing with a claim, is the NRMA assessor inspects the damage, reports all the damage requiring repair, Photographs the damage and then emails all their approved repairers to quote the job. (This was only a small dent in the side, caused by someone else, whose insurance company was going to pay for it). I just went through my insurer for convenience.

Quote:
I was under the impression most newer cars would have the bars replaced as opposed to repaired. However, in saying yours is aftermarket, did you inform your insurance company when it was fitted? They may have charge you a little more, they may not. But if it appears on the policy, at least it is covered.

The repairer has no-one to blame but himself. When you quote a job, you must be competitive, but also prie it to be able to afford to carry out the work to a suitable standard. If they are going in to cheap, they will get burned and lose even more money on repairs.

But remember, to pay the panle beaters to do perfect work, is going to cost alot more money. That money will come from everyone that pays insurance. If all panel beaters raise their prices, all insurance companies will raise theirs aswell.

Take it back to AAMI, show them the damage, and ask for a different repairer. Ask the repairer, if he can replace the bar. If he says he can't, ask what the cost of replacing the bar is, and offer to pay the difference.

Good luck
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2010, 09:27 PM   #25
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

cheers, informed the insurance company when the bar was fitted although as i was the not at faulty driver it is supposed to be repaired to a point the same as before accident... this claim was doomed from the start considering that the other driver tried to drive off... was interesting walking towards the car in a car park with people standing around the car. luckily 2 parking inspectors got the guys rego and that part worked out. i jsut appear to have really bad luck
Old 15-07-2010, 09:28 PM   #26
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

am hoping that when i take it back tothem and ask to take it to an actualy fibreglass workshop that the bar will be repaired properly
Old 15-07-2010, 10:04 PM   #27
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go to the Insurance Ombudsman
Old 15-07-2010, 10:52 PM   #28
BA Baracus
xls

Quote:
recently got a quote from Shannon's and even though its alot more every month seriously considering it.
Just as a heads up that's a different insurance "product" but AAMI, GIO, Vero, Apia and Shannons (along with some others) are all in the Suncorp Group.

http://www.suncorp.com.au/corporate/...group-overview

Not a huge point in swapping between those two unless there's an advantage somehow for you like choice of preferred repairer, higher agreed value etc.
BA Baracus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2010, 10:55 PM   #29
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

interesting, is there any insurance companies peoplehave had good experiences with? i understand in a way it somes down to the people at your local branch that you deal with in the case of an accident, but anyone got good things to say about their insurance company? keeping in mind im 21 and drive a performance car and they like to charge through the teeth
Old 15-07-2010, 10:57 PM   #30
seduced_xr
BF XR6

im with aami, havent had a problem yet. i get to get a quote from 2 of their repairers and 1 of my own, if their close i can use my own repairer.

only brand new parts can be used and ive told them straight out i will be inspecting brand new panels before they begin any work, as after their painted and on the car it would be hard to spot for a while.
BA Falcon XR6 [JS92WA]in Winter White, 6 Speed ZF - BF Tail Lights, Pacemaker Twin 2.5" catback DBA Gold Series Rotors, 5% tint >>ITS BACK - The REBUILD IS ON, BF 2 Ghia 3v V8 5.4L, Full Fairmont Ghia Interior with FPV GTP seats,Boss Bonnet,BF Front End, DJR 302 Rear Wing, BF steering Column with BF ignition and FG keys, <<

2010 FG Falcon XR6 [XRLNT] in Lightning Strike, 6 Speed Auto - 15% Tint, Ipod, Bluetooth, Climate Control, custom plates, DJR 302 Wing
seduced_xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post