Closed Thread

Old 20-07-2010, 01:17 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation Hyundai smells Ford blood

Hyundai smells Ford blood
PETER MCKAY
July 19, 2010
Ford is in danger of being shoved off the new-car-sales podium as fast-growing Hyundai continues to kick goals.

Big improver Hyundai is currently running a close fifth in the annual new-vehicle sales race in Australia, but is closing fast on third, a situation that will elbow Ford off the podium.

So far this year, the South Korean giant has claimed 8.0 per cent of the Australian market, and is breathing down the neck of fourth-placed Mazda (8.1 percent). Ford, currently third, with 9.3 per cent, seems well within reach.

This time last year Hyundai had a more modest 6.6 per cent of cake. Since then it has been narrowing the gaps to Mazda and Ford, thanks mainly to some attractive new models and aggressive marketing.

There's an inevitability that in the near future Hyundai will improve to third behind Toyota and Holden.

But Hyundai Australia's chief executive officer Edward Lee won't be drawn on just when his brand might jump ahead of Ford, a former market leader here.

Illustrating how things change in a decade, 10 years ago, Ford enjoyed a healthy share of 14.5 per cent in third place, while Hyundai held just 5.8 per cent (sixth).

"I am not sure when we will take over number three," Lee said, after a lengthy contemplation. "[Moving to third place] is not part of our strategy."

But it will happen?

"I think so. Market share is important but we are not trying to just chase market share," Lee declared.

"We are putting a lot of effort into the brand," he added, alluding to Hyundai's high-profile marketing and sponsorship pushes into football codes, along with the steady stream of new models into the Australian market - so far this year we've seen the i35, the i45 and the i20 launched locally.

Lee predicts the new youth-orientated i20 light metro hatch, which sits alongside the elderly, similarly sized Getz, will chalk up about 5000 sales during the remainder of this year, lifting Hyundai to around 80,000 units in 2010.

He also confirmed that Hyundai aims to reach the milestone market share of 10 per cent in 2012.

Hyundai now has an impressively strong product line-up.

"A ute is the only real weak point at this moment," said Lee, who has asked the company's head office for something to compete with the likes of the Toyota Hilux, Mitsubishi Triton, Nissan Navara and upcoming Volkswagen Amarok. "We are covering all the other segments now - except luxury."

And you'll be there with a luxury contender ultimately? "Why not? We have to be there; it's a matter of time."

Old 20-07-2010, 01:31 AM   #2
brismike
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah .. but you will never see a Hyundai going down conrod at 300kays lol.

Wife's - 2018 Peugeot 3008 Gtline, Pearl White - 6 Speed Auto - Fully Optioned.

My Toy - 2014 Smart Fortwo Passion Crystal White, Black Tridion Cell - 5 Speed Auto with Flappy Paddles - Tint - Twin Exhaust

The only good Commodore is the one now very very quickly disappearing in my rear view mirror.
Old 20-07-2010, 01:47 AM   #3
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it would`nt surprise me if this company ended up no.1, i think they have plenty of cash to get there.
Old 20-07-2010, 07:16 AM   #4
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by brismike
I wouldn't say that, car of the future has opened the door to new manufacturers

Old 20-07-2010, 07:25 AM   #5
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
You wouldn't see Fords and Holdens doing that unless either manufacturer spent a fortune on RWD platforms.

Just imagine if Dearborn had got their way in 1996 and we now drove Taurus and Mondeo.....
Old 20-07-2010, 07:47 AM   #6
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Global platform. That's where it's heading and FWD is on the agenda. RWD is will go the way of carbies, 2 speed auto's and drum brakes. It's only a matter of time before new cars are made with FWD only. Australia will be the last line of defence for RWD.
Old 20-07-2010, 08:02 AM   #7
The Snout

Hyundai deserve at least #3. They seem to know where they want to go and what they want to offer.

Ford meantime keep fumbling around, keep putting lipstick on that pig called an Escape rather than replace it, drag their **** on bringing in a Diesel Territory.

When you think how far Hyundai have come since the 80s in Australia and where Ford sat at that time, it's a real achievement to be on the brink of knocking off the Aussie icon.
Old 20-07-2010, 08:21 AM   #8
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

The only thing holding back Hyundai is the dynamics of their cars. They're handling isn't that great. If they get engineers in there that have a drivers license and a passion for driving...watch out...
They don't do much for me but I can see why they're popular. Good on them and good-luck to them
Old 20-07-2010, 08:49 AM   #9
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hyundai has come along way. My wife has a 2002 Sonata V6, and people even comment about how upmarket that feels inside. When the new model comes out with the 2.0T, we just may be interested in getting it as a replacement. I think the engine output is about 200kw/380Nm and it gets 35mpg on the highway. Ford needs to make sure its 2.0 EcoBoost has around the same power. Perhaps the Genesis should get a 3.8 V6 with DI turbo. That would be insane.
Old 20-07-2010, 10:08 AM   #10
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mmmm ok so hats off to Hyundai, why?
Just because they have managed to study & copy the western vehicle makers.
Just because they have very cheap labour costs so can make vehicles & sell them cheap compared to many other makes.
Just because their vehicles are only now getting close to the build & safety quality of western vehicles.
Just because their vehicles are getting close to the handling & performance of western vehicles (no I take that one back) as they are not as yet.
Lastly the most important point should we buy these vehicles & let them destroy our local industry?
I know they are often a cheap alternative & people will say well I can have a new Hyundai or a 3 year old Ford etc but come on this is still Australia.
It often amazes me that you can observe the most Aussie types with the football, speech & way of life totally supporting or saying they support Australia but they have korean or chinese vehicles sitting in their garages lol
If you indeed love this country & support it then is more to that than saying so or being Football mad eh lol
I would never buy an asian vehicle for all of the reasons above as I would always choose to support where I can local industry.
Old 20-07-2010, 10:10 AM   #11
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
When did a Ford or Holden ever go down conrod at 300km/h?

If you are talking about the V8 supercar circus there is no reason why a fake hyundai shape could not be used instead of the fake falcon or fake commodore shapes on the identical race car chassis and running gear they both use.
Old 20-07-2010, 10:46 AM   #12
WILDTRAKPX2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seduce XR6
Just because their vehicles are only now getting close to the build & safety quality of western vehicles.
Just because their vehicles are getting close to the handling & performance of western vehicles (no I take that one back) as they are not as yet.
This is so far off the mark it's unbelievable! Hyundai spend millions and millions on their own R&D and are fast becoming market leaders with their engines, technology, styling, safety, handling and build quality.

Go drive a Santa Fe, I30, I45 etc and then come back and give an honest review without the one eyed, unsubstantiated claims. Anyone who has driven one of their latest turbo diesel 4 cylinder engines will know exactly what I mean. 436 nm of torque!
Old 20-07-2010, 10:49 AM   #13
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Just because they have very cheap labour costs so can make vehicles & sell them cheap compared to many other makes.
Lastly the most important point should we buy these vehicles & let them destroy our local industry?
I know they are often a cheap alternative & people will say well I can have a new Hyundai or a 3 year old Ford etc but come on this is still Australia.
It often amazes me that you can observe the most Aussie types with the football, speech & way of life totally supporting or saying they support Australia but they have korean or chinese vehicles sitting in their garages lol
If you indeed love this country & support it then is more to that than saying so or being Football mad eh lol
I would never buy an asian vehicle for all of the reasons above as I would always choose to support where I can local industry.
They listen to the market and adjust to it unlike others who are now learning that lesson the hard way. Your generalisation and lack of knowledge of Hyundai is quite remarkable.

So..out of the "true blue aussie, local made stuff" how much of it is actually locally made?
Goodluck with your purchases of local made product, hope it serves you well.
Old 20-07-2010, 11:46 AM   #14
aualright

Quote:

Worst still is when they have the Southern Cross plastered over the back window on a foreign car. Granted if you want a certain car type you often cannot get an Aussie made one, but it also annoys me when people sprout their patriotism in one breath then choose the imported product over an equivalent Australian one. Captiva and Kluger over a Territory comes directly to mind.

Old 20-07-2010, 12:03 PM   #15
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
They listen to the market and adjust to it unlike others who are now learning that lesson the hard way. Your generalisation and lack of knowledge of Hyundai is quite remarkable.

So..out of the "true blue aussie, local made stuff" how much of it is actually locally made?
Goodluck with your purchases of local made product, hope it serves you well.
Hyundai are the same as Toyota or Mazda with the only difference being they are the second wave lol
I can add to this Kia or Great Wall.
You say I have a lck of knowledge of them well no I do not.
None of these asain brands started with their own ideas & all of them studied the western car makers & indeed with the later ones such as Kia, Hyundai or great wall also studied the japanese who studied the americans way back in the 50's
When you mention tru blu what actually do you mean as is it Ford or Holden or maybe even Toyota?
Both Ford & Holden have many current models that are actually either based on Korean or european designs yes but they are still Aussie companies with plants here that employ Aussies to make cars along with Toyota I guess as they assemble & design cars here.
See it all depends on how old a person is & if they actually remember how it all started after WWII
Now we have the second wave from countries such as China, India, Korea...
Do we not want to preserve the industry we have & even make it grow or do we just say ok it does not matter as these other countries have it right & we do not etc.. I dont happen to agree by the way as the current say FG falcon is a better vehicle than any from the late coming countries.
Old 20-07-2010, 12:09 PM   #16
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave XR8
This is so far off the mark it's unbelievable! Hyundai spend millions and millions on their own R&D and are fast becoming market leaders with their engines, technology, styling, safety, handling and build quality.

Go drive a Santa Fe, I30, I45 etc and then come back and give an honest review without the one eyed, unsubstantiated claims. Anyone who has driven one of their latest turbo diesel 4 cylinder engines will know exactly what I mean. 436 nm of torque!
Yes they do now but when they started out who did they study & copy.
I do not have to drive them as I read the reviews from others from within Australia & also outside of it.

The facts are they are not up to scratch on handling or build quality yet but they are gaining at a fast rate yes.

I dont mind the look if the new Kia Sorento (for example) myself but if you read the reviews it does not stack up.

And again at the end of the day do we want our money to support Aussie manufacturing or not?
Old 20-07-2010, 12:11 PM   #17
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lasty is the a Ford Forum or not as many seem to bash Aussie made vehicles on what I see as an Aussie made Vehicle Forum (Go Figure)
Old 20-07-2010, 12:18 PM   #18
prasac
Banned

Quote:
Hyundai might surprise you, they have a 290kw 4.6 V8 and also a 5L 320kw V8, just haven't been released in Aus yet.

plans of bringning out a 5.5L supercharged and the 4.6 & 5L will have a supercharged version also, plus the 230kw Hyundai Genesis V6. Hyundai is coming out to prove a point to the automotive world
Old 20-07-2010, 12:22 PM   #19
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Yes they do now but when they started out who did they study & copy.
I do not have to drive them as I read the reviews from others from within Australia & also outside of it.

The facts are they are not up to scratch on handling or build quality yet but they are gaining at a fast rate yes.

I dont mind the look if the new Kia Sorento (for example) myself but if you read the reviews it does not stack up.

And again at the end of the day do we want our money to support Aussie manufacturing or not?
maybe they just like the diesel that are in them??
Old 20-07-2010, 12:29 PM   #20
billy302

Perhaps Ford and the other Aussie make should look and learn from Hyundai.
They must have been doing something right.
Their cars don't handle that well? They aren't bad either
Most of the Australian public don't buy cars because of their power or handling if they did the VW beetle would never have sold one car.
People buy a deal and look for good value and with the Hyundai that is what you get.
Most women don't know where Conrod straight is and only a very few purpose built Falcons can get close to 300 Kmh.
Old 20-07-2010, 12:50 PM   #21
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave XR8

Well.. The 145 is that badly engineered that are rushing new parts in to fix a car that has only been on the market for a matter of months. So the comments are very valid in my opinion

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...257765000A7EF2

However, good on them for doing so well thus far.. However, it is a much, much tougher job getting from 5th to 1st, then going from 10th to 5th!!! Mazda, Ford, Holden & Toyota are not going to be defended easily.
Old 20-07-2010, 01:11 PM   #22
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy302
Perhaps Ford and the other Aussie make should look and learn from Hyundai.
They must have been doing something right.
Their cars don't handle that well? They aren't bad either
Most of the Australian public don't buy cars because of their power or handling if they did the VW beetle would never have sold one car.
People buy a deal and look for good value and with the Hyundai that is what you get.
Most women don't know where Conrod straight is and only a very few purpose built Falcons can get close to 300 Kmh.
or perhaps they are just cheap?
Old 20-07-2010, 01:29 PM   #23
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Global platform. That's where it's heading and FWD is on the agenda. RWD is will go the way of carbies, 2 speed auto's and drum brakes. It's only a matter of time before new cars are made with FWD only. Australia will be the last line of defence for RWD.
If Hyundai do make it to No 3 in this country, then it will no longer be the Aussie car makers that make the final decision on FWD, but rather it will be the people (consumer) that have spoken.

Bud Bud
Old 20-07-2010, 01:33 PM   #24
Fled74
The Thread Killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
True, why else would the Suzuki Alto sell well?

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Old 20-07-2010, 01:34 PM   #25
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Hyundai smells Ford blood
PETER MCKAY
July 19, 2010

"I am not sure when we will take over number three," Lee said, after a lengthy contemplation. "[Moving to third place] is not part of our strategy."

But it will happen?

Why do I get the feeling that the strategy is to move to number 1?
Old 20-07-2010, 01:35 PM   #26
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
maybe Bucknaked for the cheaply made small cars and family sedans, but for the more expensive cars or sporty types i don`t see fwd moveing into their territory, lets face it the main reason manufacturers like fwd is they are cheap to make, the best cars to drive are still rwd.
Old 20-07-2010, 02:05 PM   #27
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
maybe Bucknaked for the cheaply made small cars and family sedans, but for the more expensive cars or sporty types i don`t see fwd moveing into their territory, lets face it the main reason manufacturers like fwd is they are cheap to make, the best cars to drive are still rwd.
Your right - which is exactly why when people want a more expensive car, they will look to the European brands or Lexus to fulfil their needs. The Commodore and Falcon could find themselves very easily in no-mans land, and I think we will see this in the next 5-8 years.
Old 20-07-2010, 02:20 PM   #28
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
You wouldn't see Fords and Holdens doing that unless either manufacturer spent a fortune on RWD platforms.

Just imagine if Dearborn had got their way in 1996 and we now drove Taurus and Mondeo.....
They would have had to sell in the first place for this to happen...wait maybe now that the Mondeo is selling...oh wait...

Wouldn't surprise me if Hyundai go number 1 they're cheap and they are good enough for people. These cars dont sell on quality, but more on price and warrenty.

I guess it was a slow news day for this to be written.
Old 20-07-2010, 02:34 PM   #29
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
Correct! People are still buying TV's at 1970's and prices. Our first colour telly (circa 1976-77) was around the $700 mark. There was little to pick from around under $400 for anything new back then either. Take a look at JB HiFi and see what you can get for $700 these days. Pizza's used to be round $12 for a family (probably 18") for a Ham and Pineapple, Pizza Hut has a special (probably only 10"-12" pizza's though) for 3 for $13 right now.

I just bought a new front loader washing machine this month and after the $200 water rebate it cost me a little more than $450 through a retail outlet. It replaces my 15 yo Simpson that cost me $700 (mid 90'5) factory direct through a family connection when Email (Kelvinator) was at Woodville. They now don't make them here anymore. They (washing machines and other appliances) are getting cheaper while we keep closing down are manufacturing plants that used to make them.

I know there are tellies at $8,000 (or even $15,000 but that did not last long) and Pizza's at $40 (their real price if you factor in inflation) but the mainstream don't seem to want pay the equivalent of their wage increases over the years for consumables and goods these days, cars included.

Bud Bud
Old 20-07-2010, 02:39 PM   #30
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
Two problems though:

1) The majority of car owners do not know or even care if their car is FWD, RWD or AWD.....do you know what type of motor control system is in your washing machine? Or even care?

2) To the majority of car owners performance and handling are way down the list of requirements, well below price, fuel economy, colour, style, interior finish, number of seats, room in the boot, safety, car stereo, size, ease of parking etc. etc. etc.

As far as the idea that "sporty" cats will never be FWD....
Focus XR5, Mazda 3 MPS, Audi TT, Golf GTI et al.
Closed Thread