Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 27-10-2010, 09:06 PM   #1
Freddy121
Starter Motor

Default Fuel Usage on 2007 TDCI and Servicing

Thought it would be best to start a new thread, with a couple of weeks of driving a LT Focus TDCI under my belt.

The Focus has close to 70k on the clock, however I am finding the following:-

- Average fuel usage of 7.5L/100km (Mainly City traffic driving)
- Idle close to 800rpm
- Has only been serviced outside Ford dealerships.

So is my fuel usage too high? I am changing at 2000rpms.
The B service (has been done at 60k), would it be beneficial to have this done again at a Ford Dealer?

What are the pricing between a "A type" and "B type" service? has anyone got indicative pricing?

Thanks for all information passed across.

Cheers

Freddy121 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2010, 09:54 PM   #2
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fuel usage is a bit high but if you have a lot of stop start that will keep it high. They do really well at 60kph in 4th, averaging close to 4 L per 100klm when cruising. My longer term average is about 6/per 100KLM. but a slighlty higher amount of highway than peak hour city driving
Idle is about right they all seem to idle higher than a petrol car.
Ford servicing is about $300 for the A service on a diesel.
At 70,000 watch the disc rotors as they may need replacing.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2010, 10:22 PM   #3
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

fuel sounds ok -diesel 20% better than petrol focus, our diesel does 5.2 on highway work the petrol focus does 6.4. On city work the petrol focus did 8.8.
A and B servcies for diesel from high 200,s to high 300,s not too much difference.

Get tyres rotated by tyre dealer-they wont get done by Ford or the K marts etc etc of the world and yes brakes get them checked at 70
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2010, 10:35 PM   #4
Loris
Focus & Territory TDCi

I do mainly city driving peak hour to and from work each day and average 7.3 - 7.5.. I change at the 2000rpm sweet spot as well.
Idles at 800rpm.

seems pretty normal
Loris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2010, 06:08 PM   #5
Freddy121
Starter Motor

I think my driving seems to follow Loris, so fuel usage seems to be okay

Okay, after calling around Sydney, I have decided to get a B service done, on the car, just to make sure everything is A-OK.

The B service, is going to be high 400, everything is around this price mark, with some asking close to 600.

Since I have just got it, will be good idea I think I have just convinced myself

Hope I dont have to do the rotors just yet... :(

Last edited by Freddy121; 28-10-2010 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Accidently hit done
Old 31-10-2010, 06:04 PM   #6
elgreko

Hi mine does 7.8 lph thats driving around town and I have a tunit chip installed!! But then I am a bit of a hoon!!!!! Just servised mine 30,000km at my local mechanic all up cost $170 thats with mobile 1 full synth 5-30 as per hand book and original ford filter. Local ford dealed bayford epping wanted $340. No complaints!!
About to order K&N airfilter from the UK $80 the cheepest I have found here was $130, can anyone let me know if they can get one cheeper!!

Last edited by elgreko; 31-10-2010 at 06:13 PM.
elgreko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2010, 06:13 PM   #7
casabonka
You can call me Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy121
t got it, will be good idea I think I have just convinced myself

Hope I dont have to do the rotors just yet... :(
Dont get Ford to do your brakes if thats who is doing your service! Will cost you an arm and a leg
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Lenso 18's w/Kumho rubber
-Tinted Windows
casabonka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2010, 08:20 PM   #8
Loris
Focus & Territory TDCi

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgreko
About to order K&N airfilter from the UK $80 the cheepest I have found here was $130, can anyone let me know if they can get one cheeper!!
link to this please?
Old 31-10-2010, 08:30 PM   #9
casabonka
You can call me Chris

got mine from ebay uk too. soooo much cheaper for the k&n cai
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Lenso 18's w/Kumho rubber
-Tinted Windows
casabonka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2010, 12:26 PM   #10
elgreko

Default TDCI k&N air filter

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Old 01-11-2010, 12:52 PM   #11
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy121
Thought it would be best to start a new thread, with a couple of weeks of driving a LT Focus TDCI under my belt.

The Focus has close to 70k on the clock, however I am finding the following:-

- Average fuel usage of 7.5L/100km (Mainly City traffic driving)
- Idle close to 800rpm
- Has only been serviced outside Ford dealerships.

So is my fuel usage too high? I am changing at 2000rpms.
The B service (has been done at 60k), would it be beneficial to have this done again at a Ford Dealer?

What are the pricing between a "A type" and "B type" service? has anyone got indicative pricing?

Thanks for all information passed across.

Cheers
where are you getting your diesel fuel from??

some garages add biodiesel to the fuel, some do lable B10/B5..this type of fuel contains less energy so you will use more.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2010, 06:55 PM   #12
Turbodiesel
Torquer

My little beast has 87,000kms on the clock now, so far only been serviced at Ford but that will change now that warranty is up.

With approx 60% highway and 40% city driving I average around 5.8L/100km and I like to give it some.

Has anyone had services done with Ultratune? And if so what were they like?

Oh and I don't know what's going on but I'm still on my original front and rear pads with a good 30% left
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2010, 07:01 PM   #13
Freddy121
Starter Motor

Service wasnt too bad, brakes still have 70% left on them.

I have yet to put a tank of diesel in, as I purchased the car with a full tank, so was does everyone suggest, BP, Shell?

I live around the northwest of Sydney(North Ryde/Epping), is there any good places that people can suggest.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:08 PM   #14
elgreko

Default tdci

I mostly use BP in mine! get better milage out of it! Well have bought K&N air filter on ebay, lets see how it goes when it arives!
Old 02-11-2010, 08:29 PM   #15
Loris
Focus & Territory TDCi

I use caltex premium vortex diesel
Old 02-11-2010, 08:30 PM   #16
Marlboro2728

Smile Fuel Usage

With 36,000 on my LV TDCi, I average 5l/100km. 80% highway work and lifts to 5.2 when travelling in the city. Have always used Shell except for 3 tanks of Caltex Vortex Diesel which delivered no perceived advantage for the price increase you pay over normal diesel.
Marlboro2728 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2010, 07:37 PM   #17
Freddy121
Starter Motor

Currently trying out BP diesel, nice and close to my house, and general reviews around, seem to have good things to say about it.

Also as part of my service, an update to the ECU software was performed, will keep the fordforums guys updated...
Old 05-11-2010, 03:28 PM   #18
NO2
Old Man

my 2007 TDCI I am getting around 5.5l/100km and my average speed is 45km/hr. which is mainly highway with about 20% around town type driving,
Wonder if giving the average speed as well as consumption assists in determining how we actually drive, conservative or keep that turbo humming. It interests me anyway.

I generally change gears under the 3000rpm and at 200rpm when tootling around town. Heavy traffic the torque will pull from 1200rpm so i don't change down gears and can keep up with traffic flow.

I think the vortex and premium BP diesels have more detergent type characteristics to them which supposedly keeps the fuel system clean and has less sulphur dioxide. Only an assumption there, because the octane rating is consistent.

Biodiesel can be in caltex diesel, it varies anything from 0% to 10%. But not sure which products contain it. MSDS info not clear.
Caltex Vortex MSDS info
Low sulfur diesels - Mixture of diesel fuel, additives and no more than 500ppm sulphur.
Ultra low sulfur diesels - Mixture of diesel fuel, additives and no more than 50ppm sulphur.
Extra Low sulfur diesels - Mixture of diesel fuel, additives and no more than 10ppm sulphur.

Notice without a particulate filter the smoke at night when accelerating.
NO2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2010, 11:27 AM   #19
wizamc

I thought I might jump in here with a little bit of information to help

I have a 2007 TDCi now with 185,000kms on it. Avg speed sits between 65 and 70km/hr and Fuel hovers between 4.8 and 5.1. I give it a good beating every now and again, but generally I am pretty smooth in my driving generally shifting around the 2200-2400 mark, however I will rev the engine higher in the morning until the engine is warmed up (but do not punch it during this time), I also am not a heavy braker and will use the gearbox to help slow down (omg the arguments I have with people in regards to this makes my blood boil)

I have generally used Caltex diesel in the past as work used to help pay for it, but they have changed to United fuels so am using that when necessary. In general I try to stick the the big players, but am not too fussed as to who I use, generally whichever is convenient at the time.

I am pretty meticulous in regards to servicing (not so much in terms of cleanliness), and will do an oil drop in between services, and it has always been serviced at Ford (mainly because most of the locals charge the same rate for the service which I found unusual, oh and they will actually drop me off home, and pick me up) Costs, well an A service sits around the $240 and a B service around the $380 (the last one was a bit more due to coolant change... $100 for coolant fluid is a bit rich)

The only things that have been changed so far are rear pad and rotors (rotors didn't actually need changing, but I had brought aftermarket ones already, oh and they lasted 150,000kms too), one thing to note though, is that genuine rotors are cheaper than aftermarket, but pads are the complete opposite (nearly 3 times as much). I have also changed a few light globes and the reverser switch (get to know a good motor sparky cause the greasy engine will create this problem, a great way to test this without getting out of the car is to use your wipers and throw the car in reverse, if the rear one does NOT work, you can count on your reversing light not working either)

I'm on my 3rd set of tyres (NCT5s and 2 sets of bridgestone RE001's) rotated every 5000kms, believe me when I say that constant tyre care pays off with extra life and in turn makes distance driving very easy.

Do I have any issues with the car? sure I do, but thats for another day, and I will say that they are only minor things, in general I really love my car (I must give it a detail for xmas)
wizamc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post