Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-12-2010, 07:07 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question Ford Kuga 2012 ??????

THE burgeoning compact SUV sector is preparing to welcoming another player.

Ford in the US this week says it will reveal a near production concept to replace its Escape and - in other markets - the Kuga small SUV wagons. Ford Australia is saying little about a replacement for the Ford Escape, only acknowledging that it's an important segment.

The new Escape/Kuga will be shown at the Detroit motor show next month. It is based on the Ford Focus platform and despite its showing at Detroit, is still along way off. Production is expected to start in the second half of 2012.

Australia is on the cards for the new SUV. The baby wagon falls under the "One Ford" strategy that creates single vehicles for all world markets. An example of the philosophy is the Ranger ute that will be built in three global factories from mid-2011 and serve 180 markets.

The next-generation Escape/Kuga (the global name is yet to be decided) is one of 10 models Ford will build on its new global C-platform. The first was the European C-Max people mover.

Ford is on record as saying it plans to make two million units a year off the platform. The cost-saving - from design right down to production and spare-parts inventories - is evident by Ford's acknowledgement that the various C-platform models will share 80 per cent of parts, regardless of where the vehicle is built.

The platform will serve vehicles including the Focus sedan, wagon and hatch; C-Max people movers with five and seven seats; Escape/Kuga SUV; Transit Connect light commercial vehicle; and a proposed coupe dubbed the Capri. Outside of Australia, Ford makes two important SUVs - the Escape/Kuga and the Explorer.

The latest 2011 Explorer - which has the option of a 2-litre turbo-petrol engine that will be available on next year's Ford Falcon sedan - looks good on paper but a Ford Australia insider says it couldn't compete with the locally-built Territory.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:05 PM   #2
sanchoXB

Looks suspiciously similar to the Mazda CX7 & CX9, probably is the same considering the Escape is also a Mazda Tribute and the Ranger is a Mazda BT50.
sanchoXB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2010, 04:49 PM   #3
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Ford need to stop dicking around and get this damn car here already. We've already proven that supply is not an issue and costs arent as bad as FoA claim, so they're running out of excuses.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2010, 05:05 PM   #4
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
We've already proven that supply is not an issue
When did that happen.. What topic was that in? I'd like to read that one!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2010, 05:20 PM   #5
irlewy86
Meep Meep

By the time it arrives it will be old hat and have stale sales. FoA will blame supply issues, AFF will blame the marketing department and dealers. The public willo only remember that it was high on promise but lacking in delivery.

When someone is extremely tardy you can refer to their "Kuga-ness"
Old 10-12-2010, 08:02 PM   #6
Rastus
XY,XC,XEx2,XA,EF,AU,BA,XY

2012! What's the point? Don't they know that the world is going to end in 2012! Sheesh.
How old is the Kuga going to be by then? Same old story for Ford Oz, by the time we get them, they're due for replacement.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:16 PM   #7
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The 2012 model they talk about is the brand new Escape/Kuga model under "one Ford".. I've red that arcticle & thought is was a complate waste of time.. They dont really say anything about the current Kuga, just the new "All new" one will be shown at the US motorsport next year & this will be the next Escape/Kuga built of the all new Foucs platform..
Old 12-12-2010, 03:28 AM   #8
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

A year ago I was theorizing about the Escape and Kuga becoming one....

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...7&postcount=13

The Louisville plant will be the most technologically advanced assembly plant in the US, according to Ford, able to do things no other plant in the US can. It will have the capacity to build 6 different vehicles. 97% of the tooling is being replaced with new. The only thing being used over are 3 man-conveyors. It will have more robots than any other Ford plant in the US.

The plant is being retooled through 2011 with production models expected to hit the streets in early 2012. This is all stuff I read from Ford internal info, which has since been made public or else I wouldn't bother mentioning it.

The show in Detroit is the North American International Auto Show. Maybe I will go to it again in January.

The Kuga replaced the Escape in Europe where the Escape was sold as the "Maverick." I suspect the new vehicle is basically just a next gen Kuga, but because of it also being the "New Escape" Ford is looking at whether or not to sell it under one name only, like with the Focus and Fiesta. To that end, to use only the Kuga name (how accepted would it be in the US) or come out with a completely new name.

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 05:10 PM   #9
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
When did that happen.. What topic was that in? I'd like to read that one!!
I think it has been mentioned a few times that the European Ford factories are no longer at capacity since the sales have slowed in Europe and the model is no longer freshly-launched.

Steve I wonder if the Escape name can't be used in Europe for some reason. Not sure if the Escape was sold as the Maverick there, the Maverick used to be a rebadged Nissan Terranno II (probably spelt that wrong...)
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2010, 03:49 PM   #10
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Lots of speculation in this article, but I'm surprised they would consider moving Kuga production from Saarlouis to errm, St Louis?

http://www.carpoint.com.au/news/2010...-from-us-22902

Quote:
Confusion reigns supreme. US publication Autoweek has reported that Ford will display a compact SUV concept at the North American International Auto Show next month in Detroit.

According to the publication, the information came from a Ford insider, who also revealed that the "near production concept" would provide the basis for a vehicle to replace two existing SUV models in the Ford global line-up -- Escape and Kuga.

As we reported back in July, the Kuga is currently being prepped for an upgrade model, which is due to be unveiled at the Geneva motor show in March of next year. It's likely that the concept developed for Detroit will be heavily based on the upgraded Kuga, yet the information in the Autoweek article seems to hint that the 2013 model SUV to be based on the concept will be all-new and will replace the (current?) Kuga. That seems unlikely to us, given that the Kuga has only been on sale for two years.

Production of the new SUV is scheduled to commence in late 2012, for launch as a 2013 model in North America. That leaves a life cycle of just four years for the current Kuga. According to Autoweek, the new SUV will be built in a North American factory for global consumption.

The article's unnamed source, based in Europe, has apparently told Autoweek that the transfer of SUV production to a North American plant would leave the Saarlouis facility in Germany free to build larger numbers of the third-generation Focus. Production of the new small car commenced there last week. Up until now Saarlouis has been building Kuga as well as the second-generation Focus; the SUV described in the article as a "hot seller" in Europe since it went on sale there in 2008.

It's uncertain how the new SUV will be named, with the possibility remaining that it might continue to be called 'Escape' in the US. The article raises the spectre of 'One Ford' and suggests that the rationalisation program dictates that cars built on global platforms use the same name in every market.

Autoweek hints that the American factory would supply Europe as well, making supply to the rest of the world almost a given. If the new SUV is built in the US for global consumption, that will be the point of origin for Australian-delivered vehicles too, logically. If Ford Australia goes ahead with importation of the car from the US, the Free Trade Agreement between Australia and the US could be of some benefit -- provided the Aussie dollar remains at or around parity with the Greenback.
Surely it would make more sense to supply a region from within that region??

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 14-12-2010, 04:00 PM   #11
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe saving more US jobs is a better local headline. Correct me if I'm wrong however aren't our ML's and X5's made in USA?
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2010, 04:02 PM   #12
fordboi

...and they can bring in the 2011 Flex while their at it.
fordboi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2010, 04:13 PM   #13
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Lots of speculation in this article, but I'm surprised they would consider moving Kuga production from Saarlouis to errm, St Louis?

http://www.carpoint.com.au/news/2010...-from-us-22902

Surely it would make more sense to supply a region from within that region??

Yes, thats why im not sure Kuga will leave Germany, instead I think Kuga will also be built in the US to replace the US built Escape solely for the North American market.

Now with RHD Kugas and Focuses being built by Ford Australia being cancelled, I am wondering where our Kugas will come from. I cant see the US building RHD Kugas, simply because Germany will be doing that anyway. But German built Kugas will probably cost a fortune for the Asian Pacific region. So I am guessing the new Thailand plant will be supplying us.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2010, 12:49 PM   #14
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Ealier this year it was stated that the new Kuga would be built in the US for Europe as well as the US because at that time the Euro vs. the Dollar put labor costs about $8 per hour cheaper to build the vehicle in the US. However, this has changed as currencies have fluctuated and it appears that production of the Kuga for European consumption will be built in Germany. Now the US built Kugas will be for US consumption only, tentatively.

The European Maverick may have been both the Escape and the Nissan vehicle. I looked around the 'net some and found the Nissan vehicle. The Escape was also there.

When we retooled our plant to build the Escape overflow production the prints I saw for the tooling were drawn up in Germany. I would suspect that was for production in Germany of the Escape/Maverick.

Also, that article seems to get some timing wrong. The Louisville plant is being retooled through 2011 until the Fall (September/October) and then the new vehicle is supposed to be available in the Spring (2012) as a 2013 model. As ugly as all that sounds we are looking at just over a year, close to a year and a half for the vehicle to hit the roads.

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2011, 02:02 PM   #15
BDA074

Is there any new news on the Kuga coming to Aus?
Everywhere has gone quiet on this and the Escape keeps getting older and older.
BDA074 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2011, 02:13 PM   #16
bigsta
Making superman jealous

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

well it looks great the current escape (no offence to current owners) looks like something from the 90s not sure who buys it really, but underneath that crap exterior perhaps its a good unit or sold at a good price.

But neither of those would ever get me near one whereas the new unit looks great hopefully its not all show and has some go.

2006 SY Territory Ghia AWD in ego with roof mount DVD, tints, 7 seats, iPod input

2005 Crewman Cross 8 with 350 cubic inches, AWD, black on black rims on black leather, tints and polished racks
NEW TOY Bayliner 185, inboard 3L 4 cylinder pushing us along at 50MPH whenever i get a chance

I love Aussie cars and are gonna really miss them soon.......
bigsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2012, 03:56 PM   #17
greenkeeper
Starter Motor

Default Re: Ford Kuga 2012 ??????

my opinion: wait until you see how much space there isn't between the tailgate and back of rear seat, it's gone, even less than vw tiguan; in order to carry the groceries and the man bag, the rear seat will have to be folded, in part at least; rear vision is reduced by new rear 'shape', height of windows is reduced as well, interior width is the same but materials used for trim are not as robust, whilst engine power and torque is increased, consumption is up at least 15%, i think i will be hanging onto my current model for a while yet; ford have made 'blues" in the past, this could very well be another (whatever happened to the ford cougar)
greenkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2012, 05:05 PM   #18
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenkeeper
my opinion: wait until you see how much space there isn't between the tailgate and back of rear seat, it's gone, even less than vw tiguan; in order to carry the groceries and the man bag, the rear seat will have to be folded, in part at least; rear vision is reduced by new rear 'shape', height of windows is reduced as well, interior width is the same but materials used for trim are not as robust, whilst engine power and torque is increased, consumption is up at least 15%, i think i will be hanging onto my current model for a while yet; ford have made 'blues" in the past, this could very well be another (whatever happened to the ford cougar)
What in gods names are you comparing it too??
Old 16-01-2012, 08:01 PM   #19
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Have a look at this pic, doesn't look too bad
http://www.carsguide.com.au/pics/for.../2999/4/63503/
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2012, 09:26 PM   #20
greenkeeper
Starter Motor

i was comparing the new kuga to the current model, i drove one overseas a few weeks ago, as a mechanical engineer, personal opinion is the current driveline, auto gearbox setup is better suited, i forsee problems ahead for the kuga, the existing product is virtually problem free but, lets see, i'll watch from the sideline while others pay their $29k and get to know their ford dealer real well.
Old 16-01-2012, 09:39 PM   #21
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
i was comparing the new kuga to the current model, i drove one overseas a few weeks ago, as a mechanical engineer, personal opinion is the current driveline, auto gearbox setup is better suited, i forsee problems ahead for the kuga, the existing product is virtually problem free but, lets see, i'll watch from the sideline while others pay their $29k and get to know their ford dealer real well.
You drove the new one or the current model?

Old 16-01-2012, 10:04 PM   #22
greenkeeper
Starter Motor

i drove the new kuga in malaysia 2 weeks ago, i based my own personal opinion on that 50k drive, it won't go on the sand, it won't take much luggage in the back, the entry (getting in) takes practice, its higher, the rear end moves a fair bit in the wet, and so on, . .
Old 16-01-2012, 10:19 PM   #23
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This car is not an off roader!!! And where did you get 50K from?? Are you sure you are talking about the right car??
Old 16-01-2012, 10:37 PM   #24
greenkeeper
Starter Motor

i compared the NEW kuga to the current model ford escape which i have owned since new (2 years) i drove the kuga 50 kilometers over varying conditions in malaysia 2 weeks ago, they have always been advertised as all terrain vehicles hence, 4wd, like a territory, only smaller, clear now?
Old 16-01-2012, 10:38 PM   #25
greenkeeper
Starter Motor

the kuga is the replacement for the escape is it not?
Old 16-01-2012, 10:41 PM   #26
greenkeeper
Starter Motor

how can anyone in australia pass a comment if they haven't driven one, i have. but wait until it gets here, ask the dealer if you can drive it in the wet, and at speed on an open road, see how you go.
Old 16-01-2012, 10:48 PM   #27
greenkeeper
Starter Motor

joe5619, do you have any questions for me or are you interested in my observations, i cant download a booklet from ford australia site, maybe you can
Old 16-01-2012, 10:50 PM   #28
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On looks alone, the kuga will double, if not tripple the old Escape in sales!!

But you are correct, I have not driven one or seen one in real flesh..
Old 16-01-2012, 10:54 PM   #29
greenkeeper
Starter Motor

looks good, yes, but so does a cream and jam bun . . .
Old 17-01-2012, 06:33 PM   #30
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
i drove the new kuga in malaysia 2 weeks ago, i based my own personal opinion on that 50k drive, it won't go on the sand, it won't take much luggage in the back, the entry (getting in) takes practice, its higher, the rear end moves a fair bit in the wet, and so on, . .
I looked on the Ford Malaysia website to see how much they were asking. Ford Malaysia don't sell either the old or new Kuga.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post