Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-01-2011, 10:43 PM   #1
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Default Looking at an MK triton.

Hi Guys,

Hoping you can give me a hand, looking at getting an MK triton, they go from between 98 or so to 04 I think (well, my price range anyway). I'm looking at the V6, unless a cheaper diesel comes up, manual. Hoping for a GLS model. How do these go at higher kms? Any particular problems which are model specific that you know of?

TIA

Dan.

XR8 Uterous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2011, 11:48 PM   #2
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

How well they are serviced by previous owners ??
One thing Ex Gov is good for...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2011, 12:25 AM   #3
MR.BA.GT.332
Now in the quad cam zone

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all his work in the project section. Awesome effort. 

Hi Dan
i have a 99 mitsubishi challenger (basically same chassis and 3.0lt v6, auto, the tritons also had the similar 3.5lt) have had no issues with it regarding breakdowns etc, very reliable, has almost 140000km on the clock, full service history prob helps

only thing i need to get sorted at the next service are new ball joints and an annoying oil leak from the rocker covers, which isnt a tiny job as the top half of the intake manifold has to come off and while their at it, change the plugs too as they are on the inside of the vally.

since mine is an auto, is a little heavy on the juice running about town and can be a lil sluggish in the hills but all in all, very reliable, comfortable and capable 4x4 (if you getting a 4x4 that is)

hope this helps somewhat

"BARNEY" 2003 BA GT #332, Phantom, Boss 290, FR20 Simmons. XYZ Brakes - 355mm Rotors - 8piston Front Calipers & 4piston Rear More Mods soon!!
MR.BA.GT.332 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2011, 12:31 AM   #4
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Worked at Mitsi for 7 years. Didnt have any major dramas with them.

The engines are quite reliable. They can leak from rocker covers or the camshaft seals which will require timing belt to be removed for the latter.
On high km cars(200km+) there was the odd V6 (triton,pajero,magna) with valve stem seal leaks so just check to see if it smokes or not.

As for the body and driveline, not too much to worry about either. Just check the 4wd system works if it has it and check for anyfreeplay in the front suspension.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2011, 02:03 AM   #5
MR.BA.GT.332
Now in the quad cam zone

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all his work in the project section. Awesome effort. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
Worked at Mitsi for 7 years. Didnt have any major dramas with them.

The engines are quite reliable. They can leak from rocker covers or the camshaft seals which will require timing belt to be removed for the latter.
On high km cars(200km+) there was the odd V6 (triton,pajero,magna) with valve stem seal leaks so just check to see if it smokes or not.

As for the body and driveline, not too much to worry about either. Just check the 4wd system works if it has it and check for anyfreeplay in the front suspension.
+1 hit the nail on the head, thanks windsor

"BARNEY" 2003 BA GT #332, Phantom, Boss 290, FR20 Simmons. XYZ Brakes - 355mm Rotors - 8piston Front Calipers & 4piston Rear More Mods soon!!
MR.BA.GT.332 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2011, 09:02 AM   #6
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Thanks guys, thats the exact info I was after.

Re: The valve stem seals is this a big job? Same with the camshaft seals?

I'm looking at getting a manual, 4x4 GLS, the ones in my price range do have higher KM's, 200k kms +

Thanks again.
XR8 Uterous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2011, 11:47 AM   #7
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Terrible. Slow, thirsty and basic. I had a MK 4x4 V6 Auto GL dual cab with canopy as a work vehicle. Put your foot down and she'd get mighty cranky and loud but not really accellerate much. Hose out interior - extremely crude and basic. Very very rough ride - even comparing to other vehicles in its class. And it'd drink like a fish - at least as bad as a 4L falcon.

Now I have an ML TD 4x4 Dual Cab Auto - It's a lot more refined and I'm actually half kind of warming to it being mediocre and not terrible, despite the fact that it's been back for 3 warranty claims and it's only done 15k klms. Economy is still terrible - Around town you're looking at 13L/100klms of diesel.

OP, good luck if thats what you really want, but if you're buying it because it's well priced for its age, its for a damn good reason. Stretch a little further to a Courier or a Hilux.
Old 14-01-2011, 01:47 PM   #8
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8 Uterous
Thanks guys, thats the exact info I was after.

Re: The valve stem seals is this a big job? Same with the camshaft seals?

I'm looking at getting a manual, 4x4 GLS, the ones in my price range do have higher KM's, 200k kms +

Thanks again.
Valve stem seals arent that common so I wouldnt worry too much about it. I just mentioned it because I have seen a couple. They are a biggish job.

Camshaft seals can be done when the timing belt is being replaced. Thats a couple of hours work all up.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post