Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-01-2011, 01:03 PM   #1
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Default Kia Heads Upmarket - Optima Premium

Well...i never thought i would raise a thread praising a Kia...but i have to admit i am mighty impressed with the new Kia Optima Platinum. No i'm not a Kia salesman, but when i read the article on Go-Auto this morning i found myself actually considering one for the first time ever!

Weighing in at 1475kg, the 2.4L 4 cylinder Direct Injection engine produces 148kW/250Nm. Fuel economy for a medium sedan is good at 7.9L/100KM although 0-100km/h is not earth shattering at 9 seconds. IMO, they look nice and for less than $37,000 the standard features are incredible:

-6 speed auto
-Steering Wheel paddle shifters
-full black leather trim
-dual-zone climate-control
-a reversing camera with colour interior mirrors display
-rear parking sensors
-speed-sensing automatic door locks
-eight-way power seat adjustment with two memory positions and ventilation for the driver
-a four-way power-adjustable front passenger seat
-heated front seats
-a 3.5-inch colour TFT instrument panel display for the seven-function trip computer
-eight-speaker Infinity six-CD sound system with MP3, USB and Bluetooth connectivity
-rear glass-mounted aerial
-keyless push-button starting
-remote central locking
-a three-piece full-width panoramic sunroof
-illuminated door scuffs
-a four-spoke leather-clad steering wheel with audio
-a large cooled glovebox
-cruise and phone controls
-an ‘Eco’ button that is claimed to reduce fuel consumption by up to 7.5 per cent by optimising air-conditioning and drivetrain power use
-mood lighting on the centre console and doors
-woodgrain gearshift and door switch surrounds
-six airbags including side curtains
-active front head restraints
-seatbelt reminders for all five occupants
-18-inch flush-faced alloy wheels
-black-bezelled Xenon headlights with washers and static cornering lights -foglights
-LED daytime running lights
-LED tail-lights
-wing mirror-integrated LED side repeater lights
-twin chromed outboard exhaust outlets
-chromed door-handles

Here is one of your reasons why the Falcon is being outsold. I love my Falcon mainly because it will run rings around this car, but even a G6E doesn't come close to the standard features of the Optima Platinum and can't compete in price. Some will say the Optima isn't a competitor for the Falcon but it is for me and i will bet it is for many others that are looking for a mid to large sized sedan. It's just another option that ticks more boxes.

Quote:

KIA’s classy new Optima is now on sale in Australia, where the burgeoning Korean brand’s all-new medium sedan is available in just one highly specified ‘Platinum’ grade priced at $36,990 plus on-road costs.

As we reported when we first drove the Optima in Dubai last October, the belated replacement for Kia’s slow-selling Magentis combines coupe-like styling and impressive refinement with top-class efficiency with Kia’s generous five-year/unlimited mileage warranty.

Representing an outstanding new alternative in Australia’s highly competitive medium sedan segment, the Optima is based on the same new Hyundai-Kia group global mid-size platform that underpins Hyundai’s i45 sedan and forthcoming i40 wagon.

The otherwise well sorted i45 was criticised after its 2010 launch for its sub-standard steering and ride/handling combination compared to accomplished rivals like the popular Mazda6, Honda Accord Euro, Ford Mondeo and even Toyota’s top-selling Camry, Hyundai responded quickly with suspension damping revisions for the MY11 version, which GoAuto is yet to drive.

While the i45 scored top marks for design, which raised the bar for Hyundai passenger cars to a surprising new level, the Optima goes one step further on both counts, offering an even sharper European-style interior and exterior design and unique steering and suspension systems developed in Australia for local conditions.

Like the i45, the Optima - sales of which will be limited to just 1000 vehicles due to strong global demand, leading to delivery delays of up to five months – is powered by the Korean auto giant’s new 2.4-litre Theta II GDI (gasoline direct injection) four-cylinder petrol engine, matched exclusively with the car-maker’s new six-speed automatic transmission with steering wheel paddle shifters.

At less than $37,000, the Optima Platinum is priced significantly lower than similarly specified versions of its most direct rivals, including Hyundai’s own $38,990 i45 Premium flagship.

For now, all Australian Optimas come standard with 18-inch flush-faced alloy wheels, black-bezelled Xenon headlights with washers and static cornering lights, foglights, LED daytime running lights, LED tail-lights, wing mirror-integrated LED side repeater lights, twin chromed outboard exhaust outlets and chromed door-handles.

KiaOptima center imageThe luxury theme continues inside, where standard Optima Platinum features include full black leather trim, dual-zone climate-control, a reversing camera with colour interior mirrors display, rear parking sensors, speed-sensing automatic door locks, mood lighting on the centre console and doors, woodgrain gearshift and door switch surrounds, six airbags including side curtains, active front head restraints and seatbelt reminders for all five occupants.

Also standard is eight-way power seat adjustment with two memory positions and ventilation for the driver, a four-way power-adjustable front passenger seat, heated front seats, a 3.5-inch colour TFT instrument panel display for the seven-function trip computer, eight-speaker Infinity six-CD sound system with MP3, USB and Bluetooth connectivity, rear glass-mounted aerial, keyless push-button starting, remote central locking and a three-piece full-width panoramic sunroof.

Rounding out the extensive standard equipment list are illuminated door scuffs, a four-spoke leather-clad steering wheel with audio, a large cooled glovebox, cruise and phone controls, plus an ‘Eco’ button that is claimed to reduce fuel consumption by up to 7.5 per cent by optimising air-conditioning and drivetrain power use.

Metallic paint ($450) will be the only option available for the Optima Platinum, which can be had in seven exterior paint colours. Satellite-navigation is not yet available, but is expected to become an option later this year.

Motivating a new chassis that features a 75mm longer wheelbase than the Magentis’ at 2795mm but still weighs a relatively solid 1475kg, the 148kW/250Nm engine accelerates the Optima to 100km/h in nine seconds (down from 9.5 seconds for the 132kW/231Nm 2.4-litre Magentis).

Overall, the new Optima – a name used for Kia’s mid-size model in Australia between 2001 and 2006 – is also longer (4845mm), wider (1835mm), lower (1455mm) and more commodious than before, with a sizeable 505 litres of luggage space.

Despite offering more power almost all its competitors except the Accord Euro, combined fuel consumption of just 7.9L/100km (and CO2 emissions of 189g/km – the same as the i45) is down from 8.1L/100km.

As we’ve reported, the Optima’s new platform comprises larger brakes than before, along with MacPherson strut front suspension and a multi-link rear suspension design with separate coil springs and dampers.

Kia expects the Optima, which features a sleek aerodynamic drag coefficient of 0.29Cd, to receive a maximum five-star crash safety rating in Australia, the US (where it went on sale to critical acclaim last year) and Europe, where sales commence in April.
Source: http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...25781F001E2688

Old 28-01-2011, 01:11 PM   #2
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just stunning value, 3 grand cheaper than a Falcon XT too.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2011, 01:20 PM   #3
Fled74
The Thread Killa

I reckon that'll sell well on its good looks alone.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2011, 01:23 PM   #4
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

I agree - i reckon it looks awesome.
Old 28-01-2011, 01:23 PM   #5
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Just stunning value, 3 grand cheaper than a Falcon XT too.
RRP*

Even with the great value shown there I would still pick a 50th XR6 over that. I guess once the Falcon becomes One-Ford integrated then we will see technology like that featured on the Optima at similar prices.
block58 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2011, 03:47 PM   #6
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Had one in front of me yesterday going over the Bolte, looked good and made me look to see what it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by block58
RRP*

Even with the great value shown there I would still pick a 50th XR6 over that. I guess once the Falcon becomes One-Ford integrated then we will see technology like that featured on the Optima at similar prices.
Yes, when you look at what it has, there's not much more useful stuff than what the XR50 has for around the same price, and its still a fwd Kia.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2011, 03:50 PM   #7
hendoau99
app diesel mechanic

awesome value for money, great looking, 18'' wheel's standard, leather, good audio system. i would seriously consider buying one. but as stated above there are a few fords that are around the same price range. and it is FWD. btu none the less, if i was in the market for a new car, i would test drive this.
hendoau99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2011, 03:56 PM   #8
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

seen a couple of silver ones last week when i was at the sofitel hotel they were waiting for the tennis players,looked impressive from the outside especialy with the wheels thye look like the eleanors
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2011, 03:58 PM   #9
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It hurt's to admit you like a Kia eh?
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2011, 04:09 PM   #10
Fled74
The Thread Killa

Not really. But if I ever bought this I'd de-badge it first thing.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2011, 04:13 PM   #11
T3man
Banned

Hyundai and Kia are preparing for the Chinese onslaught - they are both very pro-active companies and will do everything they can to consolidate their market and grow it as much as possible before China starts to produce the goods that will lead them to dominate the world car market - might take five years yet but it WILL come! I'm not saying they will dominate in five years but they will, within that timeframe, begin to rapidly increase their market share and we will see their rise to car market domination within maybe 20 years tops.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2011, 04:23 PM   #12
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZA-289
It hurt's to admit you like a Kia eh?
A little part of me died inside while i was typing this thread up...maybe i need to head over to the thread about admitting secret car fantasies lol
Old 28-01-2011, 04:29 PM   #13
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendoau99
awesome value for money, great looking, 18'' wheel's standard, leather, good audio system. i would seriously consider buying one. but as stated above there are a few fords that are around the same price range. and it is FWD. btu none the less, if i was in the market for a new car, i would test drive this.
With all due respect...name one Ford medium/large sedan within this price range that comes close to these features and value for money? As Brazen mentioned, it is $3000 cheaper than a base Ford XT when comparing RRP (which is the only way they can fairly be compared).

I still prefer RWD and 270KW with heaps of NM on tap. This is still getting me over the line to buy a Ford...but i wont want that forever.
Old 28-01-2011, 04:32 PM   #14
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Saw one of these at the tennis. They look great!

Remember people used to laugh at Honda's in the 70s.....i am sure the world will view Kia differently in 15--20 yrs
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2011, 04:40 PM   #15
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksand
With all due respect...name one Ford medium/large sedan within this price range that comes close to these features and value for money?
Mondeo is the closest we have.

Cant compare the Falcon, the Kia gets a sunroof/moon roof.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2011, 05:31 PM   #16
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503

Remember people used to laugh at Honda's in the 70s.....i am sure the world will view Kia differently in 15--20 yrs
As they did with Hyundai's when they first come out to........
Old 28-01-2011, 05:38 PM   #17
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503

Same, I cant say id ever buy one but I can see why people who dont really care to much about overall performance would get one.

Its scary how good they are looking. Next thing you know I wont be able to call them POS
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2011, 06:28 PM   #18
4.0i_SiX
SiX_iN_a_RoW

looks like a honda had sex with a mondeo IMO. Yuck
Old 28-01-2011, 06:43 PM   #19
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

First Kia I have ever liked teh look/sound of.
I also don't mind the Hyundai i45.

Another make I never would of looked at twice previously.
If the missus wanted a new car I would recommend them too her.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2011, 06:51 PM   #20
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

It is a great looking car. The Koreans have come along way with their design direction. There's is lots to like about the Optima. In fact , had I been able to wait 8 months or so......I too may have considered this as an option when we were searching for a new car. In the end, we opted for the Top of the range SUZUKI Kizashi.....couldn't be happier.......but the OPTIMA also looks the goods.
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2011, 07:14 PM   #21
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

The Kizashi is a ripper aswell and that would still be my choice, the i45 looks a bit odd.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2011, 07:20 PM   #22
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
The Kizashi is a ripper aswell and that would still be my choice, the i45 looks a bit odd.
The KIZASHI is also extremely well equipped and drives very well. The design of the KIZASHI is more VW based , whereas the OPTIMA looks a lot fresher. They both have similar levels of equipment, but now the KIZASHI also has AWD with their sports variant ( based on the SX4 platform ).

Most of these mid sized cars now perform quite well for what they are and their equipment and safety levels are quite high.......bang for your buck is extremely good. We drove the Accord , the Mazda 6 and the Jetta when we were choosing our new car. The KIZASHI was our choice based on performance / equipment and pricing.

Would be good to hear from anyone that's driven the OPTIMA to see what its really like ?
Old 28-01-2011, 07:27 PM   #23
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It is a car not a lounge room so one should not be blinded by gadgets it has. First question should be how well does it drive .
As with all Kia/Hyundai product one has to ask - how do they do it? That is until you drive it. Unfortunately today's average consumer is more interested in buttons to push (consumerism at it's best) or looks then in primary function of the car.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2011, 07:31 PM   #24
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always keen to get on board and help others along the way 

Looks awesome, nice price tag too!
Old 28-01-2011, 07:35 PM   #25
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68
It is a car not a lounge room so one should not be blinded by gadgets it has. First question should be how well does it drive .
As with all Kia/Hyundai product one has to ask - how do they do it? That is until you drive it. Unfortunately today's average consumer is more interested in buttons to push (consumerism at it's best) or looks then in primary function of the car.
You might be shocked and find it drives better than our beloved Falcons !!!!!!
KIA has come along way since their inception and being a part of the HYUNDAI juggernaut means that their resources are vast. Although you mention the car is not a lounge room........many people spend a hell of a lot of time in their cars...so why not be in an enticing environment with all the mod cons....nothing wrong with that. Although the performance is not earth shattering..I'm sure it will be adequate for the target audience it is aimed at.
Old 28-01-2011, 07:40 PM   #26
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have driven some Kia/Hyndai cars and if it is anything like them then I ll think I ll pass.
I admit I am not Korean car fan and would not buy one. $37k is a lot of money for what it is gadgets or not.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2011, 07:53 PM   #27
T3man
Banned

No good putting your head in the sand and letting the world pass you by. I have the luxury of being able to choose what I drive. I therefore choose front engined V8 rear wheel drive even though a Camry can probably do everything I do in a cheaper fashion. For people who are on a budget with a family to raise they will find this offering very very tempting.

Drive one for yourself instead of judging it by bias.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2011, 07:59 PM   #28
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Lets wait and see what sort of reviews it gets, it definately looks like a decent car... Problem with Korean cars is we have that early 1990s Hyundai Excel feeling about them, 4 years old blowing blue smoke with clear coat falling off and tailights fading. I think in the last 10 years Korean manufacturing has come along way, they have learn't alot from their mistakes in the past...

On another funny topic remember these things

They were going to be the Fairmont Ghia / Calais killer, a few people took the dive and bought them thinking they would be okay, lol is all I can say...
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2011, 08:01 PM   #29
FG XR
Custom FG XR6!

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always keen to get on board and help others along the way 

hehe a poor man mercedes..
Old 28-01-2011, 08:03 PM   #30
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

http://www.caradvice.com.au/100315/kia-optima-review/

Review on cardadvice.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post