Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 02-02-2011, 10:02 PM   #1
stampers1234

Default Cruise control in AU Fairlane not working??

Hi all,

Can any one help me please. I have a au 1999 v8 fairlane. THe cruise control does not work. I have:

1) checked all fuses ( horn fuse )= OK
2) replaced the cruise control module
3) repalced the toggle swich on the steering wheel for the C/Control
4) checked the brack switch=OK

When i turn the C/Control on,via the stalk it turns on, ( indicating on the dash as " on". however when I press " set +" nothinh happens

Does any one out there know what I can further check?????? it is driving me batty!!
Regards

stampers1234 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2011, 10:49 PM   #2
Jimmyd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampers1234
Hi all,

Can any one help me please. I have a au 1999 v8 fairlane. THe cruise control does not work. I have:

1) checked all fuses ( horn fuse )= OK
2) replaced the cruise control module
3) repalced the toggle swich on the steering wheel for the C/Control
4) checked the brack switch=OK

When i turn the C/Control on,via the stalk it turns on, ( indicating on the dash as " on". however when I press " set +" nothinh happens

Does any one out there know what I can further check?????? it is driving me batty!!
Regards
If the cruise is turning 'on' then the module and primary circuit would seem to be functioning - I would check your switches, clockspring, etc - simple continuity test should point you in the right direction.
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2011, 11:30 PM   #3
Pavey

Had the same problem, coming on but not being able to set. I had a blown globe in my brake light on the parcel shelf, all I had lying around was an LED globe to put in at the time to replace it with. Ever since then it never worked. So I'd be checking to make sure that globe is isn't blown and that it hasn't been replaced with an LED
Pavey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2011, 12:57 AM   #4
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavey
Had the same problem, coming on but not being able to set. I had a blown globe in my brake light on the parcel shelf, all I had lying around was an LED globe to put in at the time to replace it with. Ever since then it never worked. So I'd be checking to make sure that globe is isn't blown and that it hasn't been replaced with an LED
Yep, cruise not working = blown tail light/s.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2011, 01:06 AM   #5
stampers1234

Hi again and thanks for your help people

I have checked all of the above and all is ok.

I now note that when I turn on the ignition to the position of" just before the car starts", the LED light at the top of the back screen is slighly alit( on fairlane models). When i press the brake pedal it fully lights up, however the brake lights at the back do not. Checked tail lights and they work when you turn the main lights on... , I have checked all fuses and they are all ok.. still the c/control not working.

Its the circuit that makes that 2nd element in the globe light up in the rear brake light that is at fault as it does not come on when youput the brake on, However at the same time, only the LED FULLY comes on.But remember that Led brake light stays fractionally alit when the car is on. Is there two circuits for the brake lights:

1) one for the led at the top of the rear screen
2) one for the normal brake lights

How to I fix the above as I have a feelin taht once I do the c/control will WORK!!!!!!

Any suggestions???
Old 04-02-2011, 10:31 AM   #6
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

so, uh, have you changed your brake light bulbs?
Old 04-02-2011, 11:03 AM   #7
The Monty
Just slidin'

I would buy a brake switch, one from Ford, dont skimp out and get a cheap one, and put it in. $5 on it being your brake switch.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:13 PM   #8
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

As well as the switch on the pedal there is also another cruise control pressure switch on the master cylinder that often fails. I would check that out 1st.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:16 PM   #9
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

See http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11280404& for more on the brake pressure switch.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:19 PM   #10
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue
As well as the switch on the pedal there is also another cruise control pressure switch on the master cylinder that often fails. I would check that out 1st.
Wouldn't be that though, because the brake lights don't work. only really 3 reasons why they wouldn't:

1. Faulty globes (they may look OK, but may be gone - at $3 a pair, easy just to replace)
2. Faulty brake switch at the pedal. At $20, easy and cheap enough to replace after doing the globes
3. Break in the wiring, whether this be a broken wire (unlikely) or a blown fuse (more likely).

If after you have replaced each of these in turn, and the brake lights still don't work, then you must have a freak car!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 04-02-2011, 12:34 PM   #11
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
now note that when I turn on the ignition to the position of" just before the car starts", the LED light at the top of the back screen is slighly alit( on fairlane models
Means you have the pedal switch wrongly adjusted - it needs to be adjusted so in is not on. If it's on at all cruise control will not activate.

Quote:
When i press the brake pedal it fully lights up, however the brake lights at the back do not. Checked tail lights and they work when you turn the main lights on.. ,
You have not either:

a) fitted aftermarket LED brake globes;
b) put in normal single globes instead of twin filament brake light globes in; or
c) "Screwed" the dual filament globes in at 180 degrees so only the park lights work?
Old 06-02-2011, 12:54 PM   #12
stampers1234

Ok guys will try all that soon and come back to you. THis thing is keeping me really busy!!
Old 06-02-2011, 01:50 PM   #13
stampers1234

Guess what!!. Its fixed now. It was Faulty Tail light globes!!. THey looked OK, as soon has I put in the new ones ( $3!!) it all worked.

Spend $150 fort the C/Control module and over 7 hours for nothing.....Lesson learned!! start at the bottom end and work your way up ,,,, !!
Old 07-02-2011, 11:43 PM   #14
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

LOL! Good result stampers - should've looked here for the answer first! (sometimes we get it right)

Old 08-02-2011, 02:18 PM   #15
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Same thing happened to me early on with my Fairlane. The tail light globes seemed all okay, went and got a new brake switch, still not working. Went to an auto-electrician, who gave me a $2 globe to try and all was working fine again, with the old switch back in place.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2015, 08:15 PM   #16
burscon
Starter Motor

Default Re: Cruise control in AU Fairlane not working??

AU II Fairlane's cruise control (cc) wouldn't operate, so (thanks to this forum) I checked tail/stop light globes to find the stop light filament failed on both globes. Replaced with two new and cc worked fine. Then stopped working. Checked tail/stop globes again to find one side's globe rattling around inside the lens assembly - the plastic socket it fits into had cracked and released the globe into the lens assembly. Will have to fit another socket!
burscon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2015, 11:26 AM   #17
falcongt4me
TSCoA member Qld

So if the tail lights and brake lights are working normally, but the cruise is not (same thing is happening to me as original OP)...is the next thing to check the brake pedal switch?
Or do I replace the working tail bulbs first?

2002 AUIII TS50 Liquid Silver #206 (ex NZ)

T-Series Club of Australia member; QLD

falcongt4me is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2015, 09:29 PM   #18
burscon
Starter Motor

I recommend you check that tail lights and stop lights are working - on both sides - if so, then the problem is not the globes and probably not the brake light switch on the pedal. But you need to check the tail lights and the stop lights first. If they're both working (both sides) then suggest you have the switch on the brake master cylinder checked. As I understand it,the switch on the master cylinder is operated by brake fluid pressure when you depress the brake pedal - as a "back-up" to disengage the cruise control just in case the brake pedal switch doesn't disengage the cruise control when you depress the pedal.
burscon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2015, 10:23 PM   #19
11ford11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcongt4me View Post
So if the tail lights and brake lights are working normally, but the cruise is not (same thing is happening to me as original OP)...is the next thing to check the brake pedal switch?
Or do I replace the working tail bulbs first?
double check brake lights including eye level light work correctly ie.not dull -turn off when pedal released -
if ok bridge switch at master cylinder and test drive away from traffic......

-WARNING-WARNING-WARNING-WARNING-be prepared to cancel cruise control operation by turning off at main on/off switch................
11ford11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2015, 10:39 AM   #20
falcongt4me
TSCoA member Qld

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11ford11 View Post
double check brake lights including eye level light work correctly ie.not dull -turn off when pedal released -
if ok bridge switch at master cylinder and test drive away from traffic......

-WARNING-WARNING-WARNING-WARNING-be prepared to cancel cruise control operation by turning off at main on/off switch................
brake and tail lights working normally as I followed the wife driving it the other night to make sure.

I'll try your suggestion....warning noted!

2002 AUIII TS50 Liquid Silver #206 (ex NZ)

T-Series Club of Australia member; QLD

falcongt4me is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2015, 02:34 PM   #21
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

The lights can appear to be working okay but might need replacing. It happened to me, my cruise control wouldn't work for no apparent reason. I tried removing my tail light globes and putting them back in, then swapping them around. Then I replaced one, and it worked.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: