Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 10-02-2011, 05:14 PM   #1
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Default East Coast lighthouses

I'm taking the family for a little drive to Sufferers Paradise later this month and The Granddaughter From Hell (GDFH is 13 ) would like to see a Lighthouse -Don't laugh, there aren't very many here in the bush -

Would anyone know if there are any not too far off the Pacific Hwy between Syd and the Qld border?

Old 10-02-2011, 05:42 PM   #2
phantomxr6t

There is one at Byron Bay which is approx 10km off the main hwy. And i think its the most eastern point of the east coast as well !!
phantomxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2011, 05:45 PM   #3
gunner

Cape Byron (Byron Bay) is the only one I can think of that's not too far off the highway. There's one on an island off Coffs Harbour too but unless your GDFH is a good swimmer she might not get too close...
gunner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2011, 06:06 PM   #4
mick10010

Byron is the only one I can think of as well but it's worth the trip. The cape that it sits on is also the most easterly point in Australia too, correct? Might be wrong there but the lighthouse is very pretty so your GDFH should love it.
mick10010 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2011, 06:11 PM   #5
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is one at Southport seaway on the gc, it's more a light on a pole though, not very big..
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2011, 09:37 PM   #6
rusty 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

norah head would be less than half hour from the f3

but my pick is seal rocks a bit further north, would be 45 mins from the pacific hwy then 20min walk but its well worth it.
rusty 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2011, 01:01 AM   #7
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Port Macquarie has a lighthouse but not a very significant one. As has been said Byrons is the most easterly point. Pm's would be about a 15 minute drive off the highway and you can park almost at it's base but it is only about 40ft tall. Go here http://www.lighthouse.net.au/lights/...ng%20point.htm. Happy travels.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:03 PM   #8
DA68ZA

The Cape Byrons would be the easiest to get to from highway ... Also the Gold Coast seaway one is not much to look at , but when the swell is up its good fun ....
DA68ZA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2011, 09:56 PM   #9
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
I'm taking the family for a little drive to Sufferers Paradise later this month and The Granddaughter From Hell (GDFH is 13 )
is this for a holiday? or to make you appreciate work more
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2011, 10:21 PM   #10
cupic
Nikon

http://www.lighthouse.net.au/lights/...pendicular.htm
this lighthouse replaced the St George's

http://www.lighthouse.net.au/lights/...t%20George.htm

have a look @

http://www.lighthouse.net.au/lights/index.asp

cheers
cupic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2011, 10:39 PM   #11
GOLDIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

byron is the best there is also one at coolangatta it is a modern one where as the one at byron is and old style one.

Ian
Old 12-02-2011, 02:48 PM   #12
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Byron for sure, soak of the town while you're there as well if you haven't been before or really checked it out. Plenty of organic and fresh foods, incredibly nice people, if you're there for sunset you'll be able to watch drumming circles on the beach.
Take the kids to the organic doughnut shop for a treat! It's tucked away opposite the 24/7 convenience store by the Balcony, next to the Hari Krishna food.

And to confirm Mick, it's the most Easterly point of Australia
Holden made the decision to make thier utes for pretty boys years ago. Wannabe tradesman drive them. If my son came home and told me he bought a holden ute I would struggle to come to grips with the fact he is a homosexual.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2011, 03:07 PM   #13
QIK006

There is one at point danger (On the NSW QLD Border, and has been commented on already as the one in coolangatta. This was named after Captian cooks last diary entry before stacking it into the great barrier reef, if my memory from primary school is correct)

http://www.lighthouse.net.au/lights/...t%20Danger.htm

Another at Fingal head land about 15 minutes south of the point danger and is only a couple of minutes off the highway. has a nice little walk through the dunes to get to a huge grassed headland which has the Light house on the point., would be a nice spot for a picnic with the family as it isnt as well know to the tourists as point danger & Byron

http://www.lighthouse.net.au/lights/...gal%20Head.htm

then the one at Byron Bay (about 45 minutes south of the border, which is also the furthest easterly point of Australia

Heaps of parking at the base, but last time I went there the carpark at the top was full and we had to park at the base and make the huge walk up the hill to see the lighthouse... It is a tourist attraction after all.

http://www.lighthouse.net.au/lights/...pe%20Byron.htm
The only issue with our new FG XR6T is that no one has told me how to prevent the stains on my shorts that happen ever time i mash the accelerator pedal : and now the lil dint in the rear bumber http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...30#post4142130

My speed limiter is set to 120 - anything over that and she punches me in the arm.

Last edited by QIK006; 12-02-2011 at 03:17 PM. Reason: spelling was shockingly bad!
QIK006 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2011, 04:25 PM   #14
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty 351
norah head would be less than half hour from the f3
but my pick is seal rocks a bit further north, would be 45 mins from the pacific hwy then 20min walk but its well worth it.
The 45min drive I could probably handle but I'd only do a 20min walk if it was to the nearest shop and I was out of smokes!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupic
http://www.lighthouse.net.au/lights/...pendicular.htm
this lighthouse replaced the St George's
Nice try, but Nowra isn't really between Syd and Qld
Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
is this for a holiday? or to make you appreciate work more
Holiday...anyway it's been a while since played with the traffic on the Pacific. Oh, and I wont get lost in Syd at Kings X, like some people!!

Looks like the Byron one is the go, but we wont be stopping in Town I hate Vegie/organic/natural stuff and I'm likely to run into some old Hippies that once knew me.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:59 PM   #15
Zedjay
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

id go norah head..
you can park right next to it and if your there on the right day you can have a look inside too..
Zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post