Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-02-2011, 05:25 PM   #1
CODSASR

Default Car City Ringwood

Hey guys just wondering if anybody has bought a car from car city in ringwood?

Alot of the cars seem to come with a 5 year warrenty guessing it would not cover much.

From what I can tell it is just multiple dearlers on the one site is this correct?

If so anybody know who to stay away from and if you would recomend buying a car from there?

Thanks for any feedback

2012 SZ TS Territory
CODSASR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2011, 08:04 PM   #2
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: All your effort in keeping me sane and on-track. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For her honest, direct and helpful advice to members. The content of her posts help many members on the forum and most times, turn a very negative thread into a postive one. 

Used to be clients of mine. Each Dealer operates independently so use all the caution you would at any Car Yard. Financier is a good operator and my dealings with them were excellent.

Cheers
Gaela

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Fact is Gaela's GTP IS the quickest NA Boss 290 Sedan now (by a long shot)
The precedent of stripping weight and using full slicks was set years ago now.

So if you want to beat em, ya gotta join em, and being manual makes the time even more credible.
GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2011, 08:14 PM   #3
AUIIPURSUIT
pursuit ute baby

from all accounts ive heard, dont even set foot in there... Like a lot of used car salesmen, they will tell you anything to get you to buy the car, but this is like a breeding ground of the slimiest lot.

i went in there to get an idea on prices and what was going around when looking at my ute, and one bloke there was just so full of it, and pushy as hell.... youll get a better deal going private.
Old 26-02-2011, 09:30 PM   #4
Matty4
Banana

I grew up not far from there and always swore blind I would never buy a car from any of the dealers in there. I remember when my sister was looking for her first car in 1990 she went there and found a nice shiny red Gemini in one of the yards. She asked me to come with her to have a look at it. First impressions was that it had a very quick and rough paint job in a bright colour to attract buyers (it did that alright!!). I then got downon my hands and knees to look under the front of the car ad noticed a length of chain welded to the crossmember..........

We walked away..........confirming my beliefs about the place.

2 years later I was just strolling through killing time when I saw a very nice looking R31 Nissan Skyline Silhouette, manual, tint, nice rims and slightly lowered. Took it for a test drive and fell in love with it. Next day found 2 other similar cars for sale in the paper that were at least 4K more, so I went back to the dealer and put a deposit on it. He told me that he saw those adds too and was in the process of upping the price on it by 3K when I walked in. Needless to say I made him honour the advertised price that I saw it for and drove away with a bargain

Kept that car for 12 years and did over 400,000k's in it.
Old 26-02-2011, 09:39 PM   #5
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Don't have any experience within Car City, but there is a Car Dealership right next door to it that I highly recommend you stay away from.

Oban Road Car Exchange. I could write a noval with the amount of problems i've had with the car I purchased from them, also communicating with them after I purchased said car.

Stay away.
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2011, 09:39 PM   #6
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUIIPURSUIT
from all accounts ive heard, dont even set foot in there... Like a lot of used car salesmen, they will tell you anything to get you to buy the car, but this is like a breeding ground of the slimiest lot.

i went in there to get an idea on prices and what was going around when looking at my ute, and one bloke there was just so full of it, and pushy as hell.... youll get a better deal going private.
Read GT's comment above ..... ^^^

I have bought about 4 cars from them over a period of time, great place to shop around if you are not quite sure what you are after and get a gauge on price and then either look privately (Same problems arise) or just be as cautious as you would with ANY used car purchase, private or otherwise. All the cars I bought were cheap and did the job.

The warranty is through a company and yes, it does warrant a few bits and pieces but the best thing I found with ALL 4 cars I bought ..... I got a RWC check after purchase, found a few things wrong, took them back and had absolutely no issues with getting them fixed. I would say they were more small over sites rather than trying to be shifty

As far as which dealers ..... wouldn't know who they were and they all seemed the same as every other used car lot I have walked on to over the last 30 years!

Best purchase was a diesel 60 Series ..... kept it for 3 years, serviced it a few times and didn't miss a beat around Australia ...... sold it after the 3 years for exactly the same amount I paid for it.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2011, 11:35 PM   #7
XR037
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Went there with the missus to just check out prices and to see what she liked. Nothing really cheap that stood out, could get most of them alot cheaper if you looked around
XR037 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2011, 11:49 PM   #8
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

If your not sure on the car, just get it checked out by a mechanic you trust, if they won't let you have that done, walk away.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2011, 12:25 AM   #9
CODSASR

Thanks guys I would always get any car I am looking at buying checked by a mechanic or racv and check on its history.

I never take anything a used car salesman said seriously (or a new car one for that matter) was mainly just wondering if there where any dodgy dealers in there or any good ones.

2012 SZ TS Territory
Old 27-02-2011, 03:55 PM   #10
AUIIPURSUIT
pursuit ute baby

some were ok, steer clear of the italian bloke with a big gold chain.. hes arond the center of the lot....

i cbf posting all his dribble and hard words.
Old 27-02-2011, 05:24 PM   #11
CODSASR

thanks AUII I will remember that

2012 SZ TS Territory
Old 27-02-2011, 05:32 PM   #12
RAPID_BA
Banned

Car City in Mitchinbury NSW is no better.

Rough high km cars for big prices. There is an odd low km car in there but the price will make you throw up.

They use "low km" stickers on every car, really rough with their detailing of cars, door trims missing, rough paint.

Then you talk about a car and they dont wana budge $500 on a stonger of a price.

A girl I know wanted to buy a hyundai getz, they had them in there for $13990, 65,000km, ex hire cars 2-3 years old. I thought it was a suckers price and they would let them go for about $10k (even then too expensive)

Wouldnt budge an inch. You can buy them brand new for $12990 and if you have patience hyundai throw in a $500-1000 myers voucher from time to time as well. Are these people obscene?

I drove an XR6T from there, just to see how it went. They wanted $15k for a BA 4spd auto with 160,000km. Rough as guts car, was breaking down on boost as it came on. Must have had a rubbish tune in it. They had the sticker word turbo on windscreen that you could see from the moon. They put the $20 stripes on them and think everyone will be fooled.

There was a VT executive for $9990 that had low km on windscreen, I walked to see how many km just to see what they think is low km, it was 167,000km?? The salesman caught me looking at the car, came over with his dirty smile, I said Low km?? he said yep, I said 167000km low? he says well whats low?? I said 80-90000km... he said im dreamin. I said he was dreamin. I told him its ready for the scrapheap with those km.
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2011, 05:43 PM   #13
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUIIPURSUIT
some were ok, steer clear of the italian bloke with a big gold chain.. hes arond the center of the lot....

i cbf posting all his dribble and hard words.
Yeah that guy and the old bloke with the brown leather bomber jacket with the grey elbow patches...

OH! Hahaha umm sorry, that would be just about EVERYONE at the slime bucket sh-hole!!

Hideous miserable place where ALL the most far fetched of salesman stereotypes come true. I have been in there a few times just to see what the place is like and what is on offer, and driving in there with a new car is akin to a sexy woman walking past a construction site, creepy old dodgy looking blokes eying you off like seagulls, fags hanging out of the mouths, all wearing the same bomber jackets, 80's stonewashes Levi's, and whorehouse cap.

Some say it is possible to hear the sound of hands rubbing together from miles around the place...

Unless your automotive dreams involve a bucket of shaking shuddering falling apart fodder, with a bad paintjob, stonechips, tyres and a dashboard that have been dipped in and are dripping with the same silicone those greaseball salesman use in their hair (and chesthair), with an interior that smells like ciggo's vomit and off kebabs, please - Look elsewhere.

-Dan
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2011, 07:31 PM   #14
chrisfpv

Amen to that.
Old 27-02-2011, 07:51 PM   #15
CODSASR

thanks Dan I am an hour from melbourne and was gunna go down to see whats there but now thinking waste of fuel.

Guessing they use the old this is a BA XT with rare semi-auto gearbox and rare white paint( I have heard a salesman use those exact words)

2012 SZ TS Territory
Old 27-02-2011, 07:54 PM   #16
chrisfpv

Don't waste your time mate. Car yards are overpriced and have nothing that a private seller doesn't. Sure they have "warranty", but used car warranties aren't worth the paper they're written on.
Old 27-02-2011, 08:03 PM   #17
CODSASR

Thanks XR would getting are car that needs a viv due to hail be to much trouble? the dents are not really noticable

2012 SZ TS Territory
Old 27-02-2011, 08:27 PM   #18
Kryton

IF thats the budget you have, a hail damaged car, then keep saving.
Sure, you only need a VIV but you wont get any insurance unless you fix the damage.
Its also listed for life and you have to tell potential buyers that its been written off - and that doesnt make selling it easy, nor does it allow you to sell it for anything worthwhile.

Keep saving, steer clear of the car yards and anything that is/has been damaged or written off.
Private sale are (meant to be) cheaper than caryards - thats where the bargains are to be had.
Anything a car yard is selling, you can by yourself elsewhere for cheaper.
Dont forget that caryards have to buy the cars themselves and then slap on a nice profit, which is the final price the customer pays.
If your near a Capital city, head on down to one of the Auction Centres and pick up a true bargain.
Thats exactly what car yards all over the country do - nothing stopping you from doing the same.
Dont let the fact that you cant drive before you buy, put you off either.
Mostly, fleet cars, have to be serviced by the book and on tine as part of the original contract, so you have that in the back of your mind.
Give it the usual once over and it should be all go from there.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2011, 09:26 PM   #19
ThaFlash
Trusted Seller

car city ringwood is an awsome place......

if you were testing howitzers
ThaFlash is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2011, 09:52 PM   #20
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Wow reading all these posts I am reminded of a dealer down here. They want $9000 for a 97 V6 Statesman, $19990 for an 05 XR6 and wait for it $7990 for a 98 Berlina that would not even start and the door when opened went rrrrrrrrrrrrrrr crack. There is also a dealer wants $23,990 for an 08 BFII XR6 with 45,000kms, then next to it they have an 08 FG XR6 with 30,000km for 1k more.
The local Ford dealer wanted $16,000 for an 03 XR6, I laughed and told him good luck, 2 months on it is down to $12,000.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2011, 02:25 AM   #21
CODSASR

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
IF thats the budget you have, a hail damaged car, then keep saving.
Sure, you only need a VIV but you wont get any insurance unless you fix the damage.
Its also listed for life and you have to tell potential buyers that its been written off - and that doesnt make selling it easy, nor does it allow you to sell it for anything worthwhile.

Keep saving, steer clear of the car yards and anything that is/has been damaged or written off.
Private sale are (meant to be) cheaper than caryards - thats where the bargains are to be had.
Anything a car yard is selling, you can by yourself elsewhere for cheaper.
Dont forget that caryards have to buy the cars themselves and then slap on a nice profit, which is the final price the customer pays.
If your near a Capital city, head on down to one of the Auction Centres and pick up a true bargain.
Thats exactly what car yards all over the country do - nothing stopping you from doing the same.
Dont let the fact that you cant drive before you buy, put you off either.
Mostly, fleet cars, have to be serviced by the book and on tine as part of the original contract, so you have that in the back of your mind.
Give it the usual once over and it should be all go from there.
budgets higher then that just thought I would ask as I seen a 2005 BF wagon for $5,800 needs a viv thought might of been a good deal.

Yea I have my eye everywhere

2012 SZ TS Territory
Old 28-02-2011, 02:27 AM   #22
CODSASR

Our local toyota dealer just had a VN wagon that has 190,000km they wanted $6,500

2012 SZ TS Territory
Old 28-02-2011, 12:09 PM   #23
AUIIPURSUIT
pursuit ute baby

viv can be a nightmare... take 2 years of my advice. steer clear.
Old 28-02-2011, 03:25 PM   #24
seedywagon
IWCMOGTVM club supporter

Mum bought an old Audi at Car City Ringwood.
Looked nice, was a bomb

It's never good when you walk into a car yard, and they have no shame having their dodgy respray/repair guys working on dodgy cars right before your eyes.
Steer clear like the plague
K&N panel filter - XR6T Snorkel - F6 Typhoon CAI - BFXR6T 17inch Rims - RDA Slotted Rotors- Kings SL Front, SSL rear - XR shocks - Straight-through rear muffler - Blue Dash Conversion - Premium Sound Speakers - Colour-coded mirror scalps - 3.45:1 Diff Gears - Leather interior - Premium 6-stack colour ICC

FOR SALE - PM for details

Build Thread
seedywagon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2011, 03:37 PM   #25
GavL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some friends of ours sold an old busted up Commodore to a dealer in there for $800 (just to get rid of it), saw it up for sale in their lot shortly after with a price tag of $7k on it! The car had so much wrong with it, it should have been put on the scrap heap.

BAII XR6 in SHOCKWAVE
5SP Manual | Sports Leather Seats | Premium Sound | Dual Zone Climate Control | Sunroof | Reverse Sensors | 18" XR8 Wheels | XR6T Exhaust | Lowered | XR6T Intake | GT Steering Wheel

AUIII XR8 in NAROOMA BLUE
Info to come soon!
GavL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post