Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-03-2011, 01:29 AM   #1
CODSASR

Default 2012 ford focus first drive

I did a serch and noticed this artical hasnt been posted yet........

Sounds like it is going to be the best in its class looks good has some good gadgets and sounds like it drives well in the words of big kev "I'm excited"

Also sounds like our stock will all come from Germany

Paul Pottinger road tests and reviews the all-new 2012 Ford Focus at its launch in the US.

GOOD
* Driving dynamics
* Technical sophistication
* Design

BAD
* Awkward gearshift
* Rear legroom
* Very little else

If Ford can't sell the new Focus, they should give the game away. Though it comes into a segment so crowded with rivals that listing them all could in itself fill this page, the Focus is in the front row of its class.

Slated for Australian release in the third quarter, the Focus which was launched in Los Angeles last week is according to its engineer James Hughes a "paradigm shift: night and day" compared with the slow selling but sweet driving South African made model now in run out.

Our cars will come from Germany which is apt given the scare it should throw into Volkswagen's Golf.

"We looked at all our competitors, Asian, domestic and European and benchmarked the Focus against the Audi A3," Hughes says. "Its dynamics, interior and wind noise are better than the A3."

This is no empty boast as Carsguide found in some 200km of testing on California's freeways and b-roads. As enjoyable to drive as the current Focus, the new one lives in a different dimension for technical sophistication and refinement.

VALUE

While local pricing is some way off, indications are the Focus will stay price competitive against its strongest rival the Mazda3. If Ford actually promote the thing, they can claim a car that's far more refined and poised yet equally enjoyable to drive.

Watch this space closely. Logic alone suggests that a 2.0-litre turbo diesel is likely to come on line by the time of local release. A potentially GTI hunting ST is due in 2012. Unlike the Golf, the Focus takes basic unleaded and won't cost a fortune to service.

TECHNOLOGY

Something of a tour de force.

If the lean running four-cylinder direct injection petrol engine isn't exactly revolutionary (even the dear old Commodore has DI these days), it is an improvement on the current naturally aspirated four.

Better still is the six-speed twin clutch automatic, which replaces the current four speed torque converter so much better is the new thing they probably shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence.

Much of the tech story is in the interactive overload that is the My Ford Touch/SYNC system. This in-car connectivity system runs through LCD screens and an eight-inch video screen. It's capable of understanding 10,000 voice commands; say "I'm hungry" and the nav system will guide you to any number of local restaurants. And it'll allow you to order takeaway via Bluetooth and direct you to the joint while it cooks. Then there's its myriad music and entertainment functions. If that's not enough, the system makes the car a WiFi hotspot.

Expect it as standard on top spec models, optional on others.

SAFETY

No crash test dummies have yet died in the Focus's case, but five stars from all agencies seems a formality.
Airbags are "tailored", monitoring the passenger's weight and the way in which they're sitting before exploding into action. Moreover, there's a sense of door thunking solidness the Focus that you don't necessarily expect from a small medium car made in American, as our test examples were. Looks like the Yanks have figured one of the reasons why their cars weren't selling.

DESIGN

Another aspect in which the Focus will shake up the ****-retentively styled Golf.

In hatch, but particularly sedan form, Ford's designers overseen by Moray Callum have evolved it noticeably from the current car. The hatch's detailing is a bit fussy around the rear, but it is distinctive. Love the way the nose tapers to give the impression of a short front overhang. Any chance of losing the sedan's spoiler?

The inside story is something of a triumph, certainly in the top-spec Titanium variant, fully living up to Hughes's claim for it. Callum says he was after a cockpit feel and even in models without leather trim it's a pleasure to sit behind the sportingly stylised wheel in a seat that manages the neat trick of providing ample lateral support while being comfortable over a long day.

Caveats? Several.

The wheel being festooned with controls for phone, audio, sat-nav and cruise, there's no place for the gear shifting paddles which add an extra degree of manual interaction for the diver. Nor is there a shifting gate. Instead when the stick is moved into sport, you can manipulate gear changes via an up and down button in the knob. This is as awkward as it sounds.

As to space in the rear, I wouldn't be able to sit behind me for too long, if you see what I mean. The cargo space figure of some 370 litres surprised me it's pretty shallow in there.

DRIVING

There's little doubt some will carp that Ford has compromised the Focus's "edge" whatever that means. They're wrong, but it is massively more refined, almost eerily so. The NVH drone that plagues the outgoing car is consigned to the past.

This is the best twin clutch transmission I've driven in an affordable car. Hill hold curtails the alarming roll back that characterises such things. More impressive is way in which the low speed abruptness and jerkiness in reverse (the curse of VW's DSG) has been overcome. It's a bit sluggish when booted off the mark, but otherwise you'd swear this was a conventional auto. Most punters won't spot the difference.

While the manual button is a drag, you'll be happy enough to leave it in drive or sport, where it adapts itself rapidly to conditions and the vigour or lack of it with which you're driving.

Torque vectoring, which send the grunt to the wheel with the most grip during cornering, is fairly seamless and completely confidence enhancing, especially of ultra-grippy 18sh. The Focus could so readily handle more power and torque this is a well-sorted car, yet on which even on the low profile rubber rode such rough stuff as we encountered almost with impunity.

VERDICT

Excellent. A giant step for Ford in the segment. Roll on the hot version.

RATING

75/100

FORD FOCUS

Price: from $21,000 (estimate)
Engine: 2.0-litre 4-cylinder DI petrol; 119kW/197Nm
Transmissions: 6-speed twin clutch auto; 5-speed manual
Thirst: 5.8L/100km (claimed)

2012 SZ TS Territory
CODSASR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 01:38 AM   #2
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Will Australia get that interior or will we get a watered down version??
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 02:04 AM   #3
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the article's on here somewhere, and I'll the same question someone else asked: how come it's only 75/100?

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 02:58 AM   #4
CODSASR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH
Will Australia get that interior or will we get a watered down version??

As its a one-ford product I am guessing we will get it

2012 SZ TS Territory
CODSASR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 03:17 AM   #5
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hope they have silenced the NVH..all road tests give the current Focus a low rating for NVH. Better be good to beat new Cruze!!!
Old 01-03-2011, 03:51 AM   #6
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

I've read a few reviews of the new focus and all look very promising. Apart from some grumbles about the styling, size of the boot, the stupid button based manual shifting in the auto (who uses that anyway really...) and drop off in 'at the limit' feedback its all been good. It might not be as sharp as earlier models buts it still very good, and NVH is much improved. Huge leaps ahead in every other area.

My question (don't know if its been answered somewhere) is what is happening with the engine lineup in aus? If we take the 2.0 diesel that makes sense, but petrol engine wise its a bit strange. On the one hand you'd think the 2.0 DI engine that the americans are getting would be cheaper (i assume that is why they are using it) but we are sourcing our cars from germany initially and its not clear in what i've read that they get the 2.0 NA DI as an option? There engine in that range is the 1.6T ecoboost. Aus production is supposed to switch to thailand when they get that plant up and running in 2012 BUT what engine will they use in that plant?

Would be odd if Ford had the 1.6T (the 'better' engine really with more torque down low and some more power) but then went back to the 2.0DI engine later? maybe they will do what holden has done with the cruze and use the 2.0DI engine in the base models that come along later but still use the 1.6T in the zetec etc...

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 05:33 AM   #7
photn
AFF Post NAZI

I was under the impression that the New Gen Ford will be built in Australia in the Melbourne Plant along with the falcons........We may get the same design and same interior specs, but all our cars where to be manufactured in AUS.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 06:32 AM   #8
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
I was under the impression that the New Gen Ford will be built in Australia in the Melbourne Plant along with the falcons........We may get the same design and same interior specs, but all our cars where to be manufactured in AUS.
Nope. When the I6 got a stay of execution, Burela killed the Aussie Focus. Quite smart if you ask me, all you've got to do is look at where the Aussie Dollar is. Holden are in deep trouble with the Cruze.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 09:52 AM   #9
Deco28

Impressive fuel economy.
Deco28 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 10:08 AM   #10
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It looks nice! Like previous Focus's, if it doesn't sound like your inside a tin can when you are driving it, it may be a winner! A boosted one in my driveway would be nice!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 10:24 AM   #11
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Looks like the LV is going to be sold when these hit our market, I wonder if its going to be the same diesel engine
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 10:29 AM   #12
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I really like that interior, i can't wait to drive one!
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 10:49 AM   #13
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
I hope they have silenced the NVH..all road tests give the current Focus a low rating for NVH. Better be good to beat new Cruze!!!
I dont think the Focus is noisey
Hope the Cruze comment is a joke, because the current Focus is leagues ahead of the Cruze.
Quote:
Originally Posted by duaned
It looks nice! Like previous Focus's, if it doesn't sound like your inside a tin can when you are driving it, it may be a winner! A boosted one in my driveway would be nice!
Depends on which model your talking about, but my XR5 sounds nothing like that, but that said its built in Germany not Sth Africa like the rest of the range
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 11:16 AM   #14
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Focus may be better than the Cruze, but its not selling!!! Whereas the Cruze is selling very well. Maybe,its Fords marketting department letting the car down again!!!
Old 01-03-2011, 11:18 AM   #15
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
The Focus may be better than the Cruze, but its not selling!!! Whereas the Cruze is selling very well. Maybe,its Fords marketting department letting the car down again!!!
Because the Cruze is uniquely australian Chevrolet Cruze so the plebs will buy it.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 01-03-2011, 11:27 AM   #16
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Because the Cruze is uniquely australian Chevrolet Cruze Daewoo Lacetti so the plebs will buy it.
fixed

back on the subect of focus', last year i bought 2 LS's. one for mother in law and then the wife wanted one. the first i drove home to adelaide from sydney and was extremely impressed. first time i'd driven a small car since kf laser. i didn't think it was noisy at all but then again, i haven't driven any of its rivals. i would imagine the LT and LV have improved somewhat over LS so they can't be that bad surely.

this 2012 one looks the goods. guess i'll have to start saving again.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 11:39 AM   #17
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

I like the new Focus. My only concern is how much they have watered down the fine dynamics of its predecessors?
Typically there is quite an impressive arrange of options & tech available. Ford AU could learn a lot from their overseas counterparts in this field.
Can't wait to give one a test drive even more so the ST version
Old 01-03-2011, 12:21 PM   #18
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Awesome interior.... who cares what is looks like outside if you have that inside... its you driving!!!! I love it.

Sending karma out that they bring a titanium focus here.... only older people bought the ghia... maybe the younger people would buy a titanium? doesnt sound so grandfatherly
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 01:04 PM   #19
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Titanium would be good..also in the Fez too!!
America gets the Titanium Focus
Titanium models offer a number of different packages. The Parking Technology package (also available on SEL sedan and hatchback) comes with a rearview camera, front parking sensors and Active Park Assist, which uses ultrasonic sensors. When activated, the Focus can parallel park itself with almost no input from the driver – and do it nearly three times faster than competitive park assist systems, according to Ford.
The Titanium Handling package includes 18-inch alloy wheels, optimized sport suspension system, low-profile summer performance tires, and full-size spare tire. A Titanium Premium package – a $1,295 option -- has leather-trimmed seats with six-way power driver’s seat with manual lumbar, reverse sensing system, rain-sensing wipers, auto-dimming rearview mirror, and rear armrest with storage.
Ford expects only about 10 percent of the 2012 Focus sales will be the base S model, with a starting sticker of $16,270. The Focus lineup includes sedan and five-door hatchback models. S is available in sedan version only, while in SE, SEL and top-of-the-line Titanium trims are available in sedan and five-door hatchback. The price variance between base S and Titanium is fairly substantial. Titanium sedan carries a starting sticker of $22,270 while the five-door hatchback starts out at $22,765. Add in all the available options/packages and the Titanium sedan and hatchback top out at around $28,585.
Compare that with the starting sticker for the entry-level Audi A3 five-door at $27,270, the $29,450 for the BMW 1-Series coupe or the coming Lexus CT 200h hybrid’s $29,120.
Those prices would be nice here!!!!!

Last edited by csv8; 08-06-2011 at 11:48 AM.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 01:14 PM   #20
ExAreSix
STi Pilot

It's funny how the styling with the Focus has gone from good (Original focus, mk1) to bad (2nd Gen, mk2) to very good (mk2.5) to terrible (new gen, mk3).

That is one ugly looking car.
ExAreSix is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 02:26 PM   #21
1TUFFUTE
Banned

r u serious...that is a perfectly fine looking car. And it can only get better with higher spec looks...wheels colour bumpers and so on......that interiour is amazing
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 02:33 PM   #22
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

That interior looks bloody brilliant!

As far as being better than the Cruze .... Paul Gover (Holden devotee) on 3AW said when comparing the Cruze to other simlar options ...... "Don't worry about the Cruze .... it is terrible ......" Stick a Holden badge on a Daewoo and they will sell ......

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 02:45 PM   #23
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
That interior looks bloody brilliant!

As far as being better than the Cruze .... Paul Gover (Holden devotee) on 3AW said when comparing the Cruze to other simlar options ...... "Don't worry about the Cruze .... it is terrible ......" Stick a Holden badge on a Daewoo and they will sell ......
Im sure he would lose whatever fans he has left if he said its better then the Focus
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 01-03-2011, 03:08 PM   #24
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That interior is as fantastic as the exterior is awful.

Is this the uglyised American version (they always seem to ugly up their Focus) or the norm.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 06:45 PM   #25
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

The only problem I see is that Ford has is a huge superiority complex,
they believe that their cars are so good, they should sell themselves.

I pray they they continue to support their vehicles by advertising the crikey out of them,
it seems to be working because Fiesta, Focus and Mondeo were all up last month.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 07:56 PM   #26
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE

Is this the uglyised American version (they always seem to ugly up their Focus) or the norm.
ALL Focuses around the world now look exactly the same! The only influence the Yanks put on THEIR model is the lack of DRL's in the headlights complete headlight cluster (w/ side repeaters to pass US regs).

Inside out, the new Focus is just teh sechs!!!!!!!!
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 07:56 PM   #27
CADSKY
'01 AU11 XR8 UTE

interior owns! take that and put it in the current model XR5.

CURRENT
'01 AU2 XR8 UTE - 5 SPEED MANUAL.
MUCH WORK TO DO.

PREVIOUS
'07 BF MK11 XR6 - 6 SPEED AUTO
'95 EF XR6 - 5 SPEED MANUAL

See my car HERE
CADSKY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 08:03 PM   #28
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE

+1. They seem to ugly up most of what they produce. Can't wait to see what abonination becomes the new falcon.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 10:59 PM   #29
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

By the sounds of it, this new Focus is a fantastic product. From the pics I've seen the interior is amazing and the outside is growing on me. This really is a proper world car that will take the fight right up to the Corolla/Mazda 3/et al. Even though I think the current model is a great car, this thing will take the Focus brand over the top!

The 2012 Zetec/ST may consign my XR8 to weekend duties and spell the end of my owning a Falcon as a daily.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2011, 11:12 PM   #30
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Maybe conservative works for the outside? Hasn't hurt the Westinghouse Corolla. Maybe thats what is needed in the Buzz Box category to be successful ...... pretty shiny buttons on the inside and an exterior that says '1 - Delicates ..... 2 - Cold Wash'

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post