Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-04-2011, 04:56 PM   #1
Dr Jekkyl

Default Roadside Assist - your experiences

Apologies if this topic has been done to death - but my searches came up with little info.

I had a 'near-miss' today when my battery failed suddenly and unexpectedly. Fortunately I was only a few blocks from home and my neighbour gave me a jump start and I replaced the battery.

Seeing that this put the wind up me I am looking at my options for roadside assistance packages. Being based in Perth I obviously have several options but my concern arises when I consider my plans to go on more camping trips in the near future and may find myself in more remote areas. I don't think I will be having any major probs but I also didn't think my battery was going to die either.

I would be interested to know of any experience you have had with roadside assist providers. The info from the providers is fairly vague.

Dr Jekkyl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2011, 05:02 PM   #2
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Default Re: Roadside Assist - your experiences

I've only need roadside assist once. Being an RACV member I just called them up and they had someone out to me within 30mins. Hassle free and easy.
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2011, 05:10 PM   #3
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

I wouldn't be without it
No matter how good you are, you just know that at midnight on a sunday night something incredibly minor but deal-breaking about your car is going to fail and you won't be near home or a mate or have your tools with you and you'll be stuck.
For the $50 a year or whatever pocketchange kind of cost it is, you'd be silly not to have it.
Oh and the 10k free towing is awesome
Old 07-04-2011, 05:37 PM   #4
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

https://www.mondial-roadside.com.au/...ssistance.aspx

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2011, 05:39 PM   #5
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep, wouldn't be without it. Get a country-wide service, they're worth it (maybe they're all country-wide, I don't know). I'm an RACQ member and I've needed to use RACV and NRMA in their respective states and it's all covered. One of the occasions that stands out was when I lost a spark plug in the middle of nowhere and the mobile mechanic towed me (behind his regular service vehicle) to a mechanic he knew a few K's away, who replaced the plug free of charge, outside of business hours too. Definitely worth the money.
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2011, 05:46 PM   #6
pcman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah ive had racv and have used it several times
been towed quite a few times aswell,

had brakes fail roughly 100km from home and had it towed back to my house for free, blew the gearbox 70kays from home taxi home and towed the vehicle all free

ran out of lpg (straight lpg) whoops and got towed to the nearest servo for free

snapped fanbelt midnight sunday and they had one in stock that they came out and fitted

well worth the money even when you know what your doing under the bonnet
pcman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2011, 06:08 PM   #7
Coyote mk3
Clutch Cable Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
I wouldn't be without it
No matter how good you are, you just know that at midnight on a sunday night something incredibly minor but deal-breaking about your car is going to fail and you won't be near home or a mate or have your tools with you and you'll be stuck.
For the $50 a year or whatever pocketchange kind of cost it is, you'd be silly not to have it.
Oh and the 10k free towing is awesome
Agreed,
I have had my EL towed for two separate problems; split top hose and for the 1st snapped clutch cable.

Great value for money thats for sure. (Although they need a lesser incline on their tilt trays-and mines factory 4wd height)
HID projectors, lowered on King SL and Koni Shocks.

Daily - 2002 AUIII SR
Stock as she comes.

Coyote's EL XR6

^^Click Me^^

15.132@ 91.51 MPH

Photos by Me https://www.facebook.com/PhotosByMatthewWylie
Coyote mk3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2011, 12:39 AM   #8
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had a $2 clutch clevis (pedal-clutch cable bit) break and resulted in a tow. Now I keep a spare. Even if I can't do it - the RACV guy can
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2011, 12:50 AM   #9
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I have had some form of Roadside Assistance for years. Originally joined RAC in WA and they were great. Then moved to Vic.

Used RACV a couple of times since I have had my membership.

Most embarrassing moment, I had a guy come out because the car wouldn't start...just to find I left it in drive!

They are great value for money. We have the extended cover membership now...I recommend everyone should get it!
Old 08-04-2011, 09:35 AM   #10
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

RAA have been excellent, used them when i have locked my keys in the boot or ran out of fuel and never had a bad experience. Only downside is having to wait.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:42 PM   #11
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The best one was i broke down on a lonely stretch of the monaro highway and along came an NRMA truck.
"Did you call us?"
"no"
"We think they are just a bit further up the road. after we help them, we'll come back and give you a hand"
they came back (other guy had bad dizzy points) and towed me back to town (40 kays on flatbed). (car then was a mazda)
Old 08-04-2011, 02:55 PM   #12
sanchoXB

I might kick myself one day but I just let my NRMA roadside cover go in march. Have had the cover 12 years and never used it. I only drive modern cars on long trips these days, If something happens I'll just call a tilt tray.
sanchoXB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2011, 03:12 PM   #13
RobVee

i would recommend the service of racv and the likes.

my story is when i got my fairlane last year i went up to echuca for a road trip and while i was there accidently locked the keys in the boot on the second day .. the rac person rocked up and was able to get the problem sorted all in less than 45 mins. in a word awesome!
RobVee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2011, 03:17 PM   #14
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The funny thing is even after waiting 2-3 hours at times for these guys, cursing their name constantly, as soon as they rock up you are so chirpy and happy to see them.
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2011, 04:21 PM   #15
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

I've got RAA. All I've really ever used them for is to get me back into my car when I lock my keys in!

That being said, they've been pretty helpful when I had an issue with the Focus, got me sorted and going again.

I got given the RAA Plus membership for my birthday last year, parents thought I might need it on the LTD which I'd just bought. Ironically, I have never used it on that car yet, only on the Focus!
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2011, 04:29 PM   #16
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can't count how many time's i've used NRMA. I've only had one problem when an obvious holden fan NRMA guy came out to fix my ED XR6 when it tossed the belts and instead of properly undoing the P/steering tensioner to get the belt off he just shoved a screw driver in and basically levered it off while jumping the engine on the starter motor. Good way to wreck a new belt..

Other than that they're a life saver!
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2011, 05:41 PM   #17
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

i have only had to use it twice in 13 years. But just one of things to have. The first time was for me, bought my then used ED Futura (back in 98) and that night it destroyed a belt. Ford roadside was use-less, but NRMA dude had the belt in his truck.
The other time, a friend locked her keys in the car and wasnt a member, old mate from NRMA turned up and just noted down my member details, no charge.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:48 PM   #18
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Car threw a belt in October, cost more than $200 and two hours in the rain on a Saturday afternoon. Car then broke its water pump, luckily we were parked up the hill from a mechanic, however this mechanic is known for its huge prices, had little choice. $1000 later. Car then killed its battery on CHRISTMAS NIGHT at 8pm. Cost of battery and call out, nearly $200.

In light of this i became an RACV total care member, and have since used it once already for another breakdown and towing. The towing alone would have cost nearly $400 according to the towey.

I resisted for a long time, but now have it, and had very good dealings with RACV. Not that it helps you, being in Perth.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2011, 05:51 PM   #19
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

I'm with RACV and Ive used them a few times over the years, when I locked my keys in my XC - twice, when my old EA snapped a belt, and twice for my BA, first when an ignition module died which required a tilt tray ride and last weekend when my battery carked it and I needed a jump.

Geez Louise my mum did exactly the same thing, got the RACV out when her car wouldnt start after work, was still in drive....

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2011, 03:58 PM   #20
Dr Jekkyl

Sounds like most people are covered by their state RAC or larger insurers i.e. NRMA.

Does anybody have any experience with other providers such as 24/7 Road Services or Ultratune?

The Mondial cover looks pretty good!
Old 09-04-2011, 06:30 PM   #21
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Ive got RACQ they have always been good. I get free roadside with my Focus through Ford which uses RACQ anyway still no issues
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2011, 08:10 PM   #22
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

don't need it

My old man will drive anywhere in aus to tow us home

little story my brother and his mates went to a place ( not sure of the name ) a bit north of Sydney and he blew the tranny in his V8 gemini and my old man drove up there and towed him home to Geelong

Got to love him

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2011, 09:44 PM   #23
spebgtsprint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was heading down the freeway the other day when I noticed an RAC van on the side of the road. When I slowed down to have a closer look, I noticed the RAC bloke getting out of his van looking really stressed out. Next thing, he starts cursing and yelling and kicking his van for no real reason.............. I said to myself "That fella's heading for a breakdown...."

XR8 SPRINT
FREE HO
MERC C55 AMG
AUDI A4
spebgtsprint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2011, 09:15 AM   #24
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

busily txt'ing away managed to conk a gutter and smack up...
2 x tyres....
2 x rims....
roadside assist organised a flatbed...........
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2011, 09:19 AM   #25
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and yes i did learn my lesson... that was an $1800 f up....
and i gained two very expensive coffee tables.....
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2011, 09:24 AM   #26
jrh001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth
I resisted for a long time, but now have it, and had very good dealings with RACV. Not that it helps you, being in Perth.
If you're in the RACV you also have 'reciprocal membership' of RACWA. There are similar arrangements in other states.

http://www.racv.com.au/wps/wcm/conne...de+reciprocity

JH
Old 10-04-2011, 05:26 PM   #27
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrh001
If you're in the RACV you also have 'reciprocal membership' of RACWA. There are similar arrangements in other states.

http://www.racv.com.au/wps/wcm/conne...de+reciprocity

JH
yeah i know, the coverage is Australia wide for RACV. My point was the OP is in Perth so they can't directly sign up with RACV.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2011, 07:21 PM   #28
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jekkyl

The Mondial cover looks pretty good!
That's because it is.

All the cover you'd get from a State based club and they are in a central call centre for all of Australia, so no transferring between clubs and chances are if you need to call back, you can talk to the same person.

Oo\===/oO

Last edited by Peuty; 10-04-2011 at 07:29 PM.
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2011, 07:45 PM   #29
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

got NRMA insurance and roadside assistance on all cars...

had to call the NRMA guys out multiple times last year for flat batteries in the EF and the AU Wags, and this year the EF needed a flatbed ride back home after the sump plug went MIA while my mum was doing a u-turn..

Also got windscreen insurance, and thats been used for both cars aswell

Used the towing service 6 times... 5 for the AU, 1 for the EF..

If you havent got roadside assistance, get it... its well worth it..
Especially when you break down just after Berowra exit southbound on the F3 after the tensioner let go... lol, that was 1 of the times for the AU... would've cost us $400, but only had to pay $100...
Old 14-04-2011, 01:18 AM   #30
Dr Jekkyl

Turns out that Mondial do not cover cars over 10 years old.