Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-04-2011, 10:31 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lightbulb VW New Beetle

Volkswagen introduced its all-new Beetle design in New York today. It is only the third version of the car originally commissioned by Adolph Hitler almost 90 years ago to be Germany's answer to Ford's Model-T and a tool to cement allegiance from working class Germans.

Despite its sinister beginnings, the Beetle became one of the most enduring automotive icons of the last century, as well as arguably the most "loved" car in America. Volkswagen is again looking to the Beetle to stir up emotions and sales, and lead Americans back into VW showrooms as the company pushes to be one of the most dominant import makes in the U.S. in the company of Honda, Toyota and Nissan.

"The U.S. is the most important market for Beetle, and it is a critical part of the new chapter we are trying to write for Volkswagen in the U.S. and worldwide," said Jonathan Browning, chief executive of Volkswagen of America.

The 2012 Beetle is bigger than both its predecessors. In fact, it's more than three inches wider and six inches longer than the previous New Beetle. It is also slightly lower to the ground. Under the hood, the standard engine is a 2.5 liter, producing 200 horsepower, with turbo-charged 2.0 liter gas and diesel engines offered as well. The New Beetle TDI (diesel) is expected to get 29 mpg city/40 mpg highway, with a combined fuel economy of 33 mpg. Both an automatic and manual transmission will be offered.

The sleeker, sportier version of the Beetle, a departure from the New Beetle introduced in 1998, was created to not only broaden the car's appeal in the U.S., but also to be a bigger seller in China and Europe.

Style That is Womb-like

Starting with the original and continuing with the first reinterpretation launched in 1998 -- the "New Beetle" -- the ovoid car has always been a lovable study in arches and circles. Some psychologists even posit that our love of the Beetle has to do with feeling like we are back in the womb. This 21st century design continues in that tradition (how could it not if it's to be called Beetle?), but with some attention to styling that is meant to attract more men to the car than the last model. The 1999 New Beetle was so bulbous in appearance, it was practically the vehicular interpretation of a breast. And men, it turns out, may like a breast, but they don't much want to be caught driving one. More than 70% of the New Beetle buyers were women.

"We started with the original Beetle for inspiration in the studio," says Volkswagen chief designer Klaus Bischoff. "We started from scratch, not from the New Beetle and created a much sportier, more masculine car."

The hope is that the new Beetle will also lure younger buyers. The average age buyer for the 1999 New Beetle was also old enough to have driven one of the originals to Woodstock. Now that Baby Boomers who grew up as kids with original Beetles are well into their fifties and older, this New Beetle needs to attract some of the American Idol generation -- the ones that say "Who?," when a contestant is compared with Janis Joplin.

Last edited by csv8; 08-06-2011 at 11:48 AM.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2011, 10:40 AM   #2
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: VW New Beetle

looks the same as the previous 'new beetle'... that is: ugly
Old 19-04-2011, 10:53 AM   #3
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Really not all that new is it?
Old 19-04-2011, 11:01 AM   #4
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUD
Really not all that new is it?
Just like the BF Mk2 and the FG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 19-04-2011, 11:07 AM   #5
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

That looks heaps better than the old one, more streamline and modern...

Dont know about the womb comment though..that would put me off...LOL
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2011, 11:09 AM   #6
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

still not a car that I like but it does look more mature and refined.
Old 19-04-2011, 11:17 AM   #7
kinksta
Luxojet

It looks sooo much better! From every angle! Sit this one and the previous, next to each other, and this one looks fairly different...
kinksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2011, 11:27 AM   #8
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks pretty good to me - 2.5 litre, alleged 200 horsepower at the back, turbo option - can it go round a corner - can some of the goodies filter down from Porsche, brake packages etc.

This may be something to keep an eye on.
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2011, 11:35 AM   #9
lockieoc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxr
Looks pretty good to me - 2.5 litre, alleged 200 horsepower at the back, turbo option - can it go round a corner - can some of the goodies filter down from Porsche, brake packages etc.

I doubt it as Porsche like to keep all the gear completely seperate from VW. It will most likely pick up some gear from the Audi side. I believe that the Bettle is based on the Golf platform so it should be able to handle through corners ok and there is the possibilty for a AWD variant but i doubt it.
lockieoc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2011, 11:40 AM   #10
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Just like the BF Mk2 and the FG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!
Yer yer yer..

Have you ordered your new Silk VE Calais yet?
Smoke Pursuit is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2011, 12:17 PM   #11
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockieoc
I doubt it as Porsche like to keep all the gear completely seperate from VW. It will most likely pick up some gear from the Audi side. I believe that the Bettle is based on the Golf platform so it should be able to handle through corners ok and there is the possibilty for a AWD variant but i doubt it.
Not entirely correct.
Porsche are now leading development of all sports cars and big luxury sedans within the VW group.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11012082...cars-and-large
Old 19-04-2011, 01:10 PM   #12
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxr

It won't be rear-engined. I wonder if it is based on the current Golf or US Jetta platform?
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2011, 01:12 PM   #13
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Stop posting

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2011, 01:36 PM   #14
BAxtER
ive been 4490'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
Yer yer yer..

Have you ordered your new Silk VE Calais yet?
He would rather a Calais over a G6E/T?.....
www.taipanmotorsport.com.au
BAxtER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2011, 02:06 PM   #15
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Stop posting
What ? no sense of humour????????
Old 19-04-2011, 07:06 PM   #16
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
It won't be rear-engined. I wonder if it is based on the current Golf or US Jetta platform?
It's built off the Jetta.

Overall I much prefer it over the previous model, but that said I don't really care about it either way! lol
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2011, 07:18 PM   #17
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
That looks heaps better than the old one, more streamline and modern...

Dont know about the womb comment though..that would put me off...LOL
I saw the thread, thought 'this looks interesting' so I started reading...got to the 'womb-like' and stopped...I'm not interested anymore...

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2011, 07:20 PM   #18
Gman_86_xr6

hmmf.

At least it isn't based on a '97 Golf platform anymore, I assume. Still it will be a ridiculously overpriced retro pussbucket and the wannabee yuppies will lap it up. Just like the last one.
Gman_86_xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2011, 08:09 PM   #19
lockieoc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

New York Reveal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scHmkn7ktuQ

Not to bad really.
lockieoc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2011, 08:33 PM   #20
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAxtER
He would rather a Calais over a G6E/T?.....
yes... wants a v8 apparently.. Last time I seen his Silk Ghia it was only a 6 banger...

Old 19-04-2011, 08:44 PM   #21
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

At least they are getting rid of that stupid flower sticking out of the dash.
Old 19-04-2011, 10:17 PM   #22
BFZ Wagon
Formerly All Wheel Drive

Looks like its been squished down a bit. The back end treatment has a bit of a 'Chrysler Crossfire' look to it. Will be interesting to see how well it sells.
Old 20-04-2011, 01:01 AM   #23
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
yes... wants a v8 apparently.. Last time I seen his Silk Ghia it was only a 6 banger...

Still is the 6 banger!! I am hoping for a miracle, come october and a G8E will be available!!!! otherwise..the Calais V V8 could be in the garage!!!!
TMR VERDICT | OVERALL

It’s very quick, very spacious, very comfortable and, for a big sedan not tuned specifically as a sports model, a very good handler. If these are your priorities, the V8 Calais V is a good buy.

While buyers are not spoiled for choice in this very specific price/trim/power niche, the Ford G6E Turbo is all of these things and more. Enjoying a small price advantage, it’s our pick in this two-car battle.

If you lean to the Holden however, consider the Calais V Redline Edition ($2500 premium) for better suspension and big Brembo brakes
Old 20-04-2011, 01:07 AM   #24
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Still is the 6 banger!! I am hoping for a miracle, come october and a G8E will be available!!!! otherwise..the Calais V V8 could be in the garage!!!!
TMR VERDICT | OVERALL

It’s very quick, very spacious, very comfortable and, for a big sedan not tuned specifically as a sports model, a very good handler. If these are your priorities, the V8 Calais V is a good buy.

While buyers are not spoiled for choice in this very specific price/trim/power niche, the Ford G6E Turbo is all of these things and more. Enjoying a small price advantage, it’s our pick in this two-car battle.

If you lean to the Holden however, consider the Calais V Redline Edition ($2500 premium) for better suspension and big Brembo brakes
Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
At least they are getting rid of that stupid flower sticking out of the dash.
And the G6ETurbo smashes it in every department. My old man had the last of the real auto holden V8's, a non AFM VE and it had nothing on his G6ET.. He wouldnt swap 2 Calais for the G6ET..

Have you driven a G6ET? you need to!
Old 20-04-2011, 01:41 AM   #25
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
And the G6ETurbo smashes it in every department. My old man had the last of the real auto holden V8's, a non AFM VE and it had nothing on his G6ET.. He wouldnt swap 2 Calais for the G6ET..

Have you driven a G6ET? you need to!
And what has that got to do with my comment about the flower hanging out of the dash on the current VW Beetle?
Old 20-04-2011, 02:39 AM   #26
Bobman
Regulator

I drove one of the 1999 models in 2002 and it was, err, interesting to drive and be seen in

The dashboard was weird where the front of it appeared to be so far away from the windscreen.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2011, 09:18 AM   #27
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
And what has that got to do with my comment about the flower hanging out of the dash on the current VW Beetle?
Quoted you by accident Lynton, must have hit the second quote button.

Sorry mate!
Old 20-04-2011, 09:32 AM   #28
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Quoted you by accident Lynton, must have hit the second quote button.

Sorry mate!
Thought it was either that or I had seriously missed something. I don't mind the look of it, much better than the current model. On the YouTube link someone has put a comment that it looks like a mini, I don't see how.

I think it is still going to have one downfall in that it will be front engine and FWD, not in the same spirit of a true beetle and the source of criticism from beetle fans worldwide. I can however see the new styling and the lack of the flower being a hit with male drivers. What sort of manufacturer instantly halves their potential market by designing the car to only appeal to one sex, crazy.
Old 20-04-2011, 10:54 AM   #29
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

The 'corporate' opening on the front bumper reminds me of the Beetles I used to see kicking around when I was a kid (the opening is located where the small chrome/black plastic bumpers used to sit)

I reckon this model looks more expensive and sporty than the last one which looked cheap and cheerful.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2011, 10:56 AM   #30
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
On the YouTube link someone has put a comment that it looks like a mini, I don't see how.
The headlights are very similar, but that's it.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post