Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-05-2011, 01:27 AM   #1
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Defect help

hey all so i had a running with an itchy trigger finger tonight.

originally got pulled over for an RBT which i was happy to comply with (had been watching some friends perform had 1 beer over 4 hours which i told them about) anyway after i blew no where near the limit they decided to start going over the car.

they came up with that the inner edge of my front right tire is looking a little low, and i have recently installed angel eyes (which were not turned on) and they pointed out that they are illegal. my thoughts on the angel eyes is they are not to be used while driving but are not infact illegal if you get me.

anyway after them asking how they are powered i popped the bonnet and showed the cable going to the battery when they said it had to be unplugged, with out any tools i tried to just pull it out of the terminal (has 3 ports and shares with one of the major car ones) and then the power cable comes out with it... in case my night couldn't get any worse when i asked if they had a screw driver that i could use to put it back as the car wouldnt work they simply got back in the car and drove off although not before slapping me with a $99 defect notice and demand that i go over the pits.

just wondering if people know if it is actually illegal to have angel eyes or just the USE on the road? as the two cops had discussion about this point. the other thing is i have an after market exhaust with hi-flow cat and really dont want to get slapped with emissions also. if the car has a minor defect will they check this? if so anyone with a xforce exhaust in the ACT be able to lend me a cat they might have thats not a 100cpi?

thanks for any advice or help people can offer in my best course of action

Old 01-05-2011, 01:34 AM   #2
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 
Default Re: Defect help

Here [NSW] you only have to show you've fixed whats on the deffect notice...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2011, 01:36 AM   #3
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ok cool hopefully thats the same as the ACT as the only thing they put on the notice was the angel eyes as parkers (which isnt true as they are wired separately) so this means even though he thought the tire was marginal because he didnt actually write it they more than likely wont check it?
Old 01-05-2011, 01:42 AM   #4
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Yea but I wouldn't take in for inspection with obvious defects...
Esp tyres !!!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2011, 01:47 AM   #5
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If a mod is illegal...it's illegal to have it fitted, whether it's being used or not.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2011, 06:29 AM   #6
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As long as it does not do anything to the standard lights and they are not on, they are legal to have in your car. Its just like fog lights. You are not allowed to have fog lights on unless there is fog, but you can have them on your car, not turned on. I have show lights in my car for my stereo, as long as I am not driving with them on they are ok to have.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2011, 08:42 AM   #7
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Sorry for being ignorant, but what exactly are "angel eyes"?
Old 01-05-2011, 09:10 AM   #8
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That might clear things up a bit...there are a few definitions of "angel eyes".
The original meaning of them was those aftermarket complete headlight replacement kits (usually purchased off Ebay from China) that had a "ring" of little lights around the main beam to replicate the look of the 5 series BMW from some years back.
Then there was another kit that was a ring of LEDs that once again replicated the look of the 5 series.
Now I've seen that row of LEDs like we see on new HSV's, and originally on the magnificent Audi R8 and A8, and which appears to go along the bottom of the headlight assembly.

The problem is that the first two (complete replacement headlight, & the "ring" that you are left to your own devices to fit into the headlight) didn't meet ADR's and came with disclaimers that they "were for show use" or some such thing.
The third type (simple row of LED's that you attach below your headlights) as far as I know meet ADR's. Maybe.

Which "angel eyes" are we talking about here?

Then again, maybe they fall under the old "illegal unless fitted by the manufacturer" type of ruling. Hell, there was a time even extractors were illegal unless your car came from the factory with them. There are other examples of things like this, and maybe these "angel eyes" fit into that area?
Old 01-05-2011, 11:28 AM   #9
buggo
[BU66OS]

This thread here talks about them.
Fat4D only put them in 2 days ago, pretty unlucky to be pulled up on them already. Had a full write up with pics and everything.

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2011, 11:37 AM   #10
Kryton

You have lights on the front of your car that emit blue, green and red - what part DONT you think is illegal?
Turned on or not, they are infact illegal.
You even say that you think they are illegal yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat4D
technically they are all illegal im fairly sure.
You got caught, cop it on the chin, fix it and move on.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2011, 11:55 AM   #11
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
You have lights on the front of your car that emit blue, green and red - what part DONT you think is illegal?

This.

It is a pity that you got busted so soon after putting them on though...
Old 01-05-2011, 12:12 PM   #12
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ahh...all is revealed.

Once you fit any other color but white or yellow (for foglights obviously) facing forwards, you're boned.

As said above...cop it and pay the fine or fix it. Sorry. Them's the breaks...
Old 01-05-2011, 12:13 PM   #13
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Maybe if you wire them up as DRLs it will pass and you can have them fitted legally...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2011, 12:14 PM   #14
XDV800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another 3-4 hours to remove them!...oh snap!
XDV800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2011, 01:27 PM   #15
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh Yeah im not overly complainin bout the fine, It just threw me his partner said illegal to use them but not to have them. That an the way they left me high an dry. They are a currently wired completely different to the head lights.

So if they are white they are allowed? Cause they have a white setting i can put them on do you think this will save me from having to pull them out?
Old 01-05-2011, 05:18 PM   #16
jamesson1980
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if they are fitted inside the headlight unit, don't impede on the headlight beam itself (unlike the one fitted to the EB in that thread link above) and only come on with an individual switch which is of course turned OFF at all times while on the road, by the book, it SHOULD be legal to have them in there.

However, with a high powered car like yours with a few visual mods like the V8 bonnnet, GT bar, an exhaust note, big wheels and out late at night like you were, the wrong type of policeman on the wrong night will simply write the laws in whatever way he needs to so that you end up with a 4 meter long defect list.. you only got the angel eyes on your defect list.. that's a victory as far as I'm concerned considering what others have received.

I once got defected for a Momo gear knob with no h-pattern number markings on it in my BA XR8. I looked at the cop and said "but..", to which he cuts me off saying 'this could turn out to be a very bad night for your car'.. I obviously argued no further.

2009 FG XR6, Ego Paint, Darkest possible tint, Sunroof, Black Vic number plates. No performance mods. Born To Be Mild

Last edited by jamesson1980; 01-05-2011 at 05:23 PM.
jamesson1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2011, 05:39 PM   #17
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesson1980

I once got defected for a Momo gear knob with no h-pattern number markings on it in my BA XR8.
And it IS a defectable item.
You wouldnt pass a RWC with one on either.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:52 PM   #18
jamesson1980
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
And it IS a defectable item.
You wouldnt pass a RWC with one on either.
Yeh.. who knew.. bought the car from one of Melbourne's biggest Ford dealers only 2 months prior on the understanding that being only 4 years old with the extended warranty that it might just maybe be roadworthy.

2009 FG XR6, Ego Paint, Darkest possible tint, Sunroof, Black Vic number plates. No performance mods. Born To Be Mild
jamesson1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2011, 05:59 PM   #19
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As long as they are white when turned on, I would imagine they are OK. The trouble comes when people for some reason put colored (usually green, blue, or red) bulbs in thier park lights. High intensity headlights that look blue from a distance are OK because they are actually white and the "blue" is from scattering over a distance.

What gets me is spotlight covers I see all the time on fourbies out here that are clear red or blue...not sure why they aren't just clear perspex like we had on our Landcruiser, but there you go...
Old 01-05-2011, 06:10 PM   #20
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:

So is 67kph in a 60kph zone, im sure you have done it, was the OP sooking about the fine? No.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2011, 06:53 PM   #21
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
So is 67kph in a 60kph zone, im sure you have done it, was the OP sooking about the fine? No.
And where did i say he was sooking about a fine?
Doing something illegal and getting caught = what do you expect.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:56 PM   #22
Honro

My car has these angel eyes (although its a BMW), and i installed them aftermarket. Ive wired them up so they are on ALL the time (no on or off switch), so day n night no matter what.

I have passed a number of RBT's those Car Inspectors on the side of the road a number of times and noone has said anything about them at all.

Infact a Police officer that i know whom visits my business regularly has even commented on how good they look! I even passed a police officer this morning @ 6am and he didnt turn around or anything!

Honestly i think you just got the wrong cops in the wrong mood.

However to answer your question, yes it ISIllegal, however its one of those things that are so minor that heads can and often turn the other way. - Im in the ACT also.
Honro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2011, 06:58 PM   #23
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honro
My car has these angel eyes (although its a BMW), and i installed them aftermarket. Ive wired them up so they are on ALL the time (no on or off switch), so day n night no matter what.

I have passed a number of RBT's those Car Inspectors on the side of the road a number of times and noone has said anything about them at all.

Infact a Police officer that i know whom visits my business regularly has even commented on how good they look! I even passed a police officer this morning @ 6am and he didnt turn around or anything!

Honestly i think you just got the wrong cops in the wrong mood.

However to answer your question, yes it ISIllegal, however its one of those things that are so minor that heads can and often turn the other way. - Im in the ACT also.
the cops probably never say anything because its a bmw and they probably just assume they are standard

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2011, 07:01 PM   #24
Honro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenz
the cops probably never say anything because its a bmw and they probably just assume they are standard

Although i do agree with you, im sure they would be smart enough to notice the angel eyes are on (without the headlights on) during the day - a dead giveaway they are after-market, as the eyes should only illuminate when your driving lights are on...
Honro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2011, 07:42 PM   #25
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

My take on the angel eyes is that if they do not comply with ADR76 requirements for light colour, intensity, testing, sampling, etc, and also have the required approval mark on the lights, they are not legal and should not be on the car.
This is in addition to the DRL requirements per ADR13, which specify placement of the DRL's as well as having to be wired so they are on whenever the ignition is on, but automatically switch off when the normal lights are turned on.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2011, 08:12 PM   #26
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesson1980
if they are fitted inside the headlight unit, don't impede on the headlight beam itself (unlike the one fitted to the EB in that thread link above) and only come on with an individual switch which is of course turned OFF at all times while on the road, by the book, it SHOULD be legal to have them in there.

However, with a high powered car like yours with a few visual mods like the V8 bonnnet, GT bar, an exhaust note, big wheels and out late at night like you were, the wrong type of policeman on the wrong night will simply write the laws in whatever way he needs to so that you end up with a 4 meter long defect list.. you only got the angel eyes on your defect list.. that's a victory as far as I'm concerned considering what others have received.
ill agree with you, im aware my car draws attention from the police even more so considering i was just leaving a club but the think that more than anything has me ticked off is that they breath tested me twice (first the count then decided to do the blow one only a min apart) and when they couldnt get me for that they set out to get me what ever they could
Old 01-05-2011, 08:25 PM   #27
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

yeah i said i THINK they are illegal, but since i was getting two different stories from the police i thought i would post here to see if someone could confirm the actual laws surrounding the lights

thanks for all the constructive comments guys appreciate the help. just trying to make sure that when i go for the road worthy i know where i stand
Old 01-05-2011, 10:31 PM   #28
buggo
[BU66OS]

I'm almost 100% confident you won't pass.
Your lights have been ADR'd and tested in many areas before they were sent out for production, anything tampered with them from factory, even just opening them up, voids the ADR and therefore makes them illegal.
By having angel eyes put in, you'd need to have them engineered for them to comply with the laws, even if nothing gets changed.
BMW can have them because they have been tested like that, they comply with all DR's of all the countries they are sold in so they are legal.

Don't mean to sound like some old ***** neighbour, wouldn't mind something similar for my car, just don't want you to have to go through the pits only to be sent away without a r/w car.

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2011, 10:43 PM   #29
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggo_gt
I'm almost 100% confident you won't pass.
Your lights have been ADR'd and tested in many areas before they were sent out for production, anything tampered with them from factory, even just opening them up, voids the ADR and therefore makes them illegal.
By having angel eyes put in, you'd need to have them engineered for them to comply with the laws, even if nothing gets changed.
BMW can have them because they have been tested like that, they comply with all DR's of all the countries they are sold in so they are legal.

Don't mean to sound like some old ***** neighbour, wouldn't mind something similar for my car, just don't want you to have to go through the pits only to be sent away without a r/w car.
na mate not at all, i think your on the money with the lights, might even just pop into a cop shop and ask a few questions. although i wonder if it is possible to get them engineered? although conveniently i do currently have a spare set of headlights as i have a mate whose ute was written off and he bought the wreak and i got a set of head lights for 40 bucks

my main concern at this point is tires and the exhaust not meeting emission as there isnt much of a cat in it, although i have a xforce system with flanges on either side of the cat so might even try and track a used one down to borrow or buy.

my main problem is until the notice expires i only have one day im not working and thats a sunday so its ganna be interesting
Old 01-05-2011, 11:16 PM   #30
GreenR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would drop into a RTA office and ask them about. Some police have no clue. Manager's son (P's) had a VE V6 Calais confiscated from him and was left stranded in Melbourne on the weekend. Cops said he wasn't allowed to drive it and was given no official statement/charge sheet. He is going to take them to court though.

However back on the angel eyes. I would think they would be legal if not used while you're driving. They could be for showroom use which many things are not road legal. Also you can have them on to only emit a "white light" but I'm thinking because they have the ability to emit other colours that doesn't go in your favor.

Good luck with it though. I hope you find a way to be able to keep them and not have wasted all the time hooking them up
GreenR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post