Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-06-2011, 02:51 PM   #1
Supercharged

Default These finance companies are thieves

The Nitro Turbo ute is being replaced with a FPV GS ute and there are 2 payments to go on the turbo of $971.00 ea.
They intended to apply a penalty of an additional $800.00 for early termination of the contract plus the outstanding amount.
I hit the roof and finance broker is going back to them to re-negotiate the penalty and I am waiting the outcome.
If they still demand the penalty I intend to simply advance pay the last two payments in advance which would complete the contract and no penalty would be payable in my view anyway.
What a rip off, 2 months short on a 3 year contract and they want to apply a penalty.

Supercharged is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2011, 02:57 PM   #2
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 
Default Re: These finance companies are thieves

The penalty is probably to cover the money they paid your broker at the beginning of the contract. Stinks for sure.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:14 PM   #3
Scott

Does stink. Is the new finance going through the same crowd?
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2011, 03:16 PM   #4
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Which bank??

Seems very unreasonable to me.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2011, 03:18 PM   #5
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: All your effort in keeping me sane and on-track. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For her honest, direct and helpful advice to members. The content of her posts help many members on the forum and most times, turn a very negative thread into a postive one. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged
The Nitro Turbo ute is being replaced with a FPV GS ute and there are 2 payments to go on the turbo of $971.00 ea.
They intended to apply a penalty of an additional $800.00 for early termination of the contract plus the outstanding amount.
I hit the roof and finance broker is going back to them to re-negotiate the penalty and I am waiting the outcome.
If they still demand the penalty I intend to simply advance pay the last two payments in advance which would complete the contract and no penalty would be payable in my view anyway.
What a rip off, 2 months short on a 3 year contract and they want to apply a penalty.
You would have agreed to this in your contract so this is why you must always read it thoroughly.
I am assuming that you have a new Finance Company not the same one? If the same company, surely they will wipe this fee.
I am also assuming you need to trade the old vehicle and if that is so, you must have a clear title for the Ute to be sold on, ie needs to be paid out when the new contract is 'settled'. No way around this unless you are keeping it.

You have no leverage unless the Finance Company is the same - if it is, just threaten to get a loan somewhere else.

GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Fact is Gaela's GTP IS the quickest NA Boss 290 Sedan now (by a long shot)
The precedent of stripping weight and using full slicks was set years ago now.

So if you want to beat em, ya gotta join em, and being manual makes the time even more credible.
GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2011, 03:20 PM   #6
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: All your effort in keeping me sane and on-track. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For her honest, direct and helpful advice to members. The content of her posts help many members on the forum and most times, turn a very negative thread into a postive one. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
The penalty is probably to cover the money they paid your broker at the beginning of the contract. Stinks for sure.
A broker has the fee added to the contract and they get commission on the Interest paid. The claw back would be nothing with only 2 months to go.

GT

Quote:

So if you want to beat em, ya gotta join em, and being manual makes the time even more credible.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:20 PM   #7
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Sounds like ANZ!!!

I recently remortgaged with them and had a personal loan with 3 months left.. I asked about paying out the contract without incurring a penalty and they wouldn't have a bar of it, even though I was refinancing through them!!!! I suppose that's what you get when dealing with one of the big 4... (Not surprising seeing as the majority shareholder of all 4 are the same)
Old 01-06-2011, 03:22 PM   #8
Supercharged

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
It is with Capital Finance, broker fee on all finance but it the whole payments part, what is owed is 2 x $971.00 = $1942.00 and that is it. Am going with the same crowd but not if they don't wipe that extra fee.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:25 PM   #9
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZENU
Sounds like ANZ!!!

I recently remortgaged with them and had a personal loan with 3 months left.. I asked about paying out the contract without incurring a penalty and they wouldn't have a bar of it, even though I was refinancing through them!!!! I suppose that's what you get when dealing with one of the big 4... (Not surprising seeing as the majority shareholder of all 4 are the same)
Unfortunately, you need to vote with your feet and swap Banks to gain any leverage. Most of us find it too daunting but there are some real upsides. If you had mentioned this idea earlier and shopped around they probably would have come to the party. They are all the same (ruthless) so you need to play them off against each other.

GT

Quote:

Old 01-06-2011, 03:33 PM   #10
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Quote:
It is with Capital Finance, broker fee on all finance but it the whole payments part, what is owed is 2 x $971.00 = $1942.00 and that is it. Am going with the same crowd but not if they don't wipe that extra fee.
Tell them clearly that if they don't wipe the fee, you will go elsewhere. I am stunned they haven't suggested it anyway - I always wiped fees and was able to do so if they were refinancing.

I've had dealings with Capital in my old job and they are pretty hungry to retain a good client base so just be very firm and be prepared to vote with your feet. I've always found Esanda (yes I know it is ANZ but they seem to have their act together!) one of the best to deal with.

GT

Quote:

Old 01-06-2011, 03:58 PM   #11
Supercharged

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT
Tell them clearly that if they don't wipe the fee, you will go elsewhere. I am stunned they haven't suggested it anyway - I always wiped fees and was able to do so if they were refinancing.

I've had dealings with Capital in my old job and they are pretty hungry to retain a good client base so just be very firm and be prepared to vote with your feet. I've always found Esanda (yes I know it is ANZ but they seem to have their act together!) one of the best to deal with.

GT
They have just called and have wiped the fee but leaves me wondering what would have happened it I didn't object. The fee was very noticable with such a small amount still to pay.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:16 PM   #12
Rodge
Banned

I heard recently well over 80% of vehicles are sold on some form of credit.

What has happenned to the lost art of saving up for things ?
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2011, 04:20 PM   #13
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge

The other 20% are people who probably use equity in their homes lol...
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2011, 04:41 PM   #14
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
The other 20% are people who probably use equity in their homes lol...
i'm guessing that might fall into their terminology of credit, since it's credit against your house..

yeah i used to get new cars on loans but can't be bothered with that any more. I just save up and buy 10 year old clunkers for 5 grand, use them up, then do it again. Works out heaps cheaper.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2011, 04:57 PM   #15
Rodge
Banned

^^ Not as much fun though.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2011, 05:00 PM   #16
Supercharged

Quote:

It is called the tax office as these are my business vehicles. If you purchase the vehicle outright you pay tax on the vehicle value as it is considered as stock, if you finance it isn't.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:02 PM   #17
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
^^ Not as much fun though.
maybe so, but i have more fun in other aspects by not having any loan repayments, makes it a lot easier to go on trips, buy whatever we need etc
Old 01-06-2011, 05:30 PM   #18
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT

GT
I'm sorry I have to differ there....The laws of libel and slander don't allow me to elaborate on how I'd describe the business practices of Capital Finance.

We were a client if theirs in a multi million dollar property refurbishment transaction as well as the lessee in several plant and equipment transactions . We no longer use them after a prolonged dispute that cost us hundreds of thousands.

Agree about Esanda though - very professional
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2011, 05:36 PM   #19
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It is called the tax office as these are my business vehicles. If you purchase the vehicle outright you pay tax on the vehicle value as it is considered as stock, if you finance it isn't.
It depends what your business is...If you trade in motor vehicles I can see why they would do that, but in general the ATO don't give a rats on whether you finance your capital expenditure or buy it outright. The depreciation claims are no different provided, of course, the vehicle is used for business purposes.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
Old 01-06-2011, 05:36 PM   #20
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132
I'm sorry I have to differ there....The laws of libel and slander don't allow me to elaborate on how I'd describe the business practices of Capital Finance.

We were a client if theirs in a multi million dollar property refurbishment transaction as well as the lessee in several plant and equipment transactions . We no longer use them after a prolonged dispute that cost us hundreds of thousands.

Agree about Esanda though - very professional
it's only libel/slander if it's not true
Old 01-06-2011, 05:40 PM   #21
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth
it's only libel/slander if it's not true
my friend 99% of defamation cases are fought because the agrieved party thought that what was said was not true.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:41 PM   #22
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
my friend 99% of defamation cases are fought because the agrieved party thought that what was said was not true.
so it's up to the defendant to prove it is! i take your point though
Old 01-06-2011, 05:48 PM   #23
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Macquarie is very competive for both consumer & business use vehicle finance. Most brokers would access to them
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2011, 05:55 PM   #24
Supercharged

Quote:
It depends what your business is...If you trade in motor vehicles I can see why they would do that, but in general the ATO don't give a rats on whether you finance your capital expenditure or buy it outright. The depreciation claims are no different provided, of course, the vehicle is used for business purposes.
Goes like this, if you write a cheque out for the outright purchase of a vehicle the tax office considers those funds to be profit and tax is payable, how you choose to spend it is up to you, you can depreciation and as it depreciates some of your tax paid is returned.
Finance the vehicle and you don’t own it but can claim depreciation with only some of the re-payments are spent profit.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:13 PM   #25
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Goes like this, if you write a cheque out for the outright purchase of a vehicle the tax office considers those funds to be profit and tax is payable, how you choose to spend it is up to you, you can depreciation and as it depreciates some of your tax paid is returned.
Finance the vehicle and you don’t own it but can claim depreciation with only some of the re-payments are spent profit.
Sorry still don't get it (maybe a question for dash GT)

You pay tax on your taxable income calculated as your business assessable income less deductible expenses (including depreciation on plant and equipment including motor vehicles). This does not change whether you use the businesses cash, or you obtain bank finance to buy the work vehicle.

While the amount of tax you pay does not change, the cash you have available for other purposes does change given that you have used your own funds and not borrowed.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:18 PM   #26
Supercharged

Quote:
Sorry still don't get it (maybe a question for dash GT)

You pay tax on your taxable income calculated as your business assessable income less deductible expenses (including depreciation on plant and equipment including motor vehicles). This does not change whether you use the businesses cash, or you obtain bank finance to buy the work vehicle.

While the amount of tax you pay does not change, the cash you have available for other purposes does change given that you have used your own funds and not borrowed.
My accountant tells me different. Made that mistake with the BA as I purchased it outright and traded it in after 4 months for cash payout on accountants advise.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:46 PM   #27
GazzF6
Perth WA
Donating Member1

I have found ST. George to be very good!

2016 Jaguar XE Black Pack R-Sport
GazzF6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2011, 06:54 PM   #28
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Have used RACV and they were good ($350 fee to pay out early or more money in a payment) also gave me a discount on car insurance (which was also very competitive).

BMW was average (went through the dealer) they had no exit fee but their interest rate wasn't that great if I had have shopped around I could have save a percent or two.

Missus is using savings and loans, very good company, low rate and no exit fee.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:00 PM   #29
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Something i dont get
You have 2 payments outstanding
Now wether you would pay them now and cop the fee
Or forward advance the payments
It would still be classed as paid out before the loan term
So either way the fee would still be payable

Most lending institues have a fee IF paid out within a certain term
Read your home loan cotract
Some banks charge like a 20K fee if paid out within the first 12 months
This fee reduces a bit each year
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2011, 07:06 PM   #30
hawke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Supercharged,

You may need a new accountant, or there was some miscommunication.

Purchasing a business vehicle for cash allows you to take depreciation of the asset as a cost. If financed, interest or lease payment are a cost. Both are limited by value of vehicle and or private use and your GST ITC entitlement.
hawke is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post