Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-06-2011, 08:25 PM   #1
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Default Unmarked Speed Cameras... Largely Useless

Lo all,

Driving home from work today, I drove past an unmarked black van, on a road notorious for speed cameras. As I drove past, the flash went off and blinded me for a good 3 odd seconds. Now there were no cars behind me, and the flash was mounted so as to point out of the back window. If it wasn't photographing me, what was it doing? Taking pictures of trees or what?

If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
388cube_edxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2011, 08:48 PM   #2
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Re: Unmarked Speed Cameras... Largely Useless

Could have been calibrating, could have been bored, could have been running you plates against the RTA database, could have wanted a pic of your car...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2011, 08:54 PM   #3
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

That's just the thing - there is no way that it could have seen my plates, my passenger door was level with the van's C-pillar when the flash went off.

And my car isn't really photo worthy, grandpa-spec ELs are everywhere.
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
388cube_edxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2011, 10:01 PM   #4
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Maybe the camera operator thought you looked cute
Old 01-06-2011, 10:36 PM   #5
QIK006

were you speeding?

Also these new fangdangle cameras can get you for all sorts of things too now.

Speeding, Talking on the phone, rego checks, talking loudly. Failing to be a considerate lover. I have had this sort of Flash go off on me regularly too, It is always a tense couple of weeks waiting for the fine to come in the mail for 1 or 2 KM over the speed limit.
The only issue with our new FG XR6T is that no one has told me how to prevent the stains on my shorts that happen ever time i mash the accelerator pedal : and now the lil dint in the rear bumber http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...30#post4142130

My speed limiter is set to 120 - anything over that and she punches me in the arm.
QIK006 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2011, 08:25 AM   #6
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Wearing your seat belt?
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2011, 08:44 AM   #7
martyal44
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If there was a guy on the side of the road playing a prank and blinding drivers for 3 seconds that would be illegal wouldn't it and the police called to investigate a threat to public safety.
martyal44 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2011, 08:58 AM   #8
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

The camera vans have infrared flash - so unless you have weird vision it wasn't a speed camera.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2011, 01:28 PM   #9
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Probably some moron local resident scaring people by taking photos of cars in a hope to make people go slower past their house.

My mum had a flash from a random car on the side of the road one night. She never received a fine and she thinks she was speeding by a 5-10k's
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2011, 03:52 PM   #10
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In Victoria the portable road side cameras do not flash. So might be someone being stupid.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2011, 08:07 PM   #11
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
The camera vans have infrared flash - so unless you have weird vision it wasn't a speed camera.
Not entirely true, this exact car flashed me about 2-3weeks ago. In QLD a lot of them still have a flash, unless you have another use for the 'flash'.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance

Last edited by DJM83; 02-06-2011 at 08:16 PM.
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2011, 09:21 PM   #12
QIK006

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Not entirely true, this exact car flashed me about 2-3weeks ago. In QLD a lot of them still have a flash, unless you have another use for the 'flash'.
That stands out like a teenage boy at a nudist camp!!! if you get caught speeding by that, you deserve to be booked
The only issue with our new FG XR6T is that no one has told me how to prevent the stains on my shorts that happen ever time i mash the accelerator pedal : and now the lil dint in the rear bumber http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...30#post4142130

My speed limiter is set to 120 - anything over that and she punches me in the arm.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:38 AM   #13
LTDHO
The one and only

In Vic the vans are not speed cameras.

They are use to check the registered vehicles for which the owner have outstanding warrents.

Oh and they are dark blue.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2011, 09:43 AM   #14
iCat
doof doof doof doof

Quote:
Originally Posted by QIK006

Speeding, Talking on the phone, rego checks, talking loudly. Failing to be a considerate lover.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:28 AM   #15
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mobile speed cameras make me so angry heres why drive past one doing a burnout in an unregistered unroadworthy car whilst talking on your mobile phone and not wearing a seatbelt, now because you werent "speeding" your other offences are overlooked, now replace the "mobile speed camera" with a marked or unmarked police car and what happens next is completely different

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2011, 11:43 AM   #16
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

Quote:

I'd hate to "accidentally" rear end that... bahahaha
Old 03-06-2011, 11:47 AM   #17
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
mobile speed cameras make me so angry heres why drive past one doing a burnout in an unregistered unroadworthy car whilst talking on your mobile phone and not wearing a seatbelt, now because you werent "speeding" your other offences are overlooked, now replace the "mobile speed camera" with a marked or unmarked police car and what happens next is completely different
I'm sure the in uniform police man doing over time sitting in the camera van will have something to say about that..
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2011, 12:27 PM   #18
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0
I'm sure the in uniform police man doing over time sitting in the camera van will have something to say about that..
In NSW they're operated by a private company... (read Macquarie Bank.)
Old 03-06-2011, 01:33 PM   #19
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
were you speeding?

Speeding, Talking on the phone, rego checks, talking loudly. Failing to be a considerate lover. I have had this sort of Flash go off on me regularly too, It is always a tense couple of weeks waiting for the fine to come in the mail for 1 or 2 KM over the speed limit.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:06 PM   #20
Dave3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
In Vic the vans are not speed cameras.

They are use to check the registered vehicles for which the owner have outstanding warrents.

Oh and they are dark blue.
The ANPR vans do a lot more than check for oustanding warrants, unlicensed/disqual/suspended drivers, sherriff warrants, stolen cars, wanted cars, unreg cars.....

Not all of them are blue either, there are silver and white ones as well.
Dave3911 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2011, 03:57 PM   #21
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
i knew an idiot that did a burnout in front of the speed camera and a photo was taken and he was subsequently charged and lost his licence.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2011, 06:48 PM   #22
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
That stands out like a teenage boy at a nudist camp!!! if you get caught speeding by that, you deserve to be booked
Not quite sunshine. So you know where it was when it 'got' me then do you?
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 03-06-2011, 08:05 PM   #23
QIK006

Quote:
Not quite sunshine. So you know where it was when it 'got' me then do you?
wouldn't have a clue where he was parked when he got you princess. But unless you where driving with your eyes closed, that large black box sitting halfway up the hatch on the silver car with a large spot light (fairly standard issue for the coppers I believe) is kind of a giveaway that there may be a speed camera there Couple that with the QLD coppers can use any car in Australia as long as it under 3 years old. I would recommend paying a bit more attention to your surroundings when breaking the law.

The only way it would be more obvious, is if it had the police livery stickers all over it and the police were standing in the middle of the road waving at you to slow down.

Still, If you got caught speeding. You deserve the fine. I just find it amusing that you got caught by something so obvious.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:17 PM   #24
QIK006

Had a closer look at the pic, Is that just down the road from the Calamvale Pub? I hope so, cause I live 2 1/2 hours away from there, and even I know that that is a favored spot for the coppers to park the Mobile Camera's there for the day (The green van on the median strip between the tress was always my favorite)

Old 03-06-2011, 08:21 PM   #25
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
wouldn't have a clue where he was parked when he got you princess. But unless you where driving with your eyes closed, that large black box sitting halfway up the hatch on the silver car with a large spot light (fairly standard issue for the coppers I believe) is kind of a giveaway that there may be a speed camera there Couple that with the QLD coppers can use any car in Australia as long as it under 3 years old. I would recommend paying a bit more attention to your surroundings when breaking the law.

The only way it would be more obvious, is if it had the police livery stickers all over it and the police were standing in the middle of the road waving at you to slow down.

Still, If you got caught speeding. You deserve the fine. I just find it amusing that you got caught by something so obvious.
Im not going to delve into your stupid post. You cannot tell me you have never broken the law, yeah i might have got a little 'aggressive' on the go pedal and realised when it was too late.
Sorry im not a super human like you one day it will happen to you hopefully someone will have a dig at you. Im not bothered either way, these things happen.
But as i said you have no idea where it was so until then give it a rest.
This thread has nothing to do with what happened to me either
Quote:
Had a closer look at the pic, Is that just down the road from the Calamvale Pub? I hope so, cause I live 2 1/2 hours away from there, and even I know that that is a favored spot for the coppers to park the Mobile Camera's there for the day (The green van on the median strip between the tress was always my favorite)
Not even close.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 03-06-2011, 08:22 PM   #26
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrghiawagon
I'd hate to "accidentally" rear end that... bahahaha
Or have some local thugs key it..

The stupid idea of crashing into it after being flashed then suing them for causing the crash ala flash blinding you would be gold!

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2011, 08:29 PM   #27
QIK006

Quote:
Im not going to delve into your stupid post.
Too late

I would like to call a truce though, before I get in trouble for picking on a Moderator

Old 03-06-2011, 08:34 PM   #28
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Click for the image

A lot of these around Brisbane at the moment. Also seen some utes about. Not the much publicised ones, but utes with yellow lights on the roof and ladders etc set up like tradies.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2011, 08:45 PM   #29
QIK006

These have been traveling around the Gold coast for a while now, The large camera hanging out the back is a dead giveaway though, and they seem problematic as the glass is regularly open with a bunch of blue uniforms with their heads in the canopy