Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-06-2011, 03:13 PM   #1
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default hit and run - now what?

Hello firstly its with much sorrow that I post this here and I apologize if there is already a thread somewhere on this topic, now on to it :

My car was hit in a parking lot and the person whom hit it decided to POQ without leaving any details or anything - I know A**hole yea, but my questions in regard to this are the following

can this be claimed on insurance even though I do not know whom did the damage to my vehicle and if so will I need to pay my excess to claim

have you been the victim in a similar way and what actions did you take, did you claim on insurance or just cough up for repairs or something else?

now for sake of completeness here is a description of the damage my car has sustained - multiple scratches some red in color others down to primer on the side of the back bumper behind rear drivers' side wheel, damage extends from rear wheel to part way around the curve under tail light - estimate of repair cost is between $500 and $1500 (very loose estimate I know I am still working on things)

needless to say unfortunately we share this planet with some real selfish scumbags and to say that I am not happy is a gross understatement

any advice or suggestions from the wise AFF will be greatly appreciated

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2011, 03:16 PM   #2
Ptbl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: hit and run - now what?

Wow that sucks happened 2 me twice to my rear bumper

Yeah some people are pathetic I'm pretty sure u have to report to the police don't you? Out of my own pocket :( plus my drivers mirror

The XR Build That I Shouldn't Of Sold
DAMN!

Current Daily: 2007 crown majesta 186
weekeder: 91 soarer
project: 2005 Bmw e46 coupe 1jz
bf mk2 xr6 ute magnet
Ptbl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2011, 03:33 PM   #3
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you can claim on insurance, but since you don't know who it was, you're stuck with the full excess, i believe.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:34 PM   #4
Ptbl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Haja if thts true n im a plater under 25 it will be a fair bit haha

DAMN!

bf mk2 xr6 ute magnet
Old 07-06-2011, 03:36 PM   #5
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pay the full excess and they'll fix it and raise your rate. Since there is no one at to give fault to, you're to blame pretty much.
Pay to fix yourself and keep you're normal rate..

Or leave it. That's pretty much your choices
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2011, 03:40 PM   #6
Fordman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptbl
Wow that sucks happened 2 me twice to my rear bumper

Yeah some people are pathetic I'm pretty sure u have to report to the police don't you? Out of my own pocket :( plus my drivers mirror
Yer same here, i did report mine to the police, but they basically said theres nothing they can do (or could be bothered doing).
Fordman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2011, 03:47 PM   #7
Ptbl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I didn't bother with cops

DAMN!

bf mk2 xr6 ute magnet
Old 07-06-2011, 03:52 PM   #8
J.Molloy
Territorial

Same thing happened to me, didnt bother reporting, had to pay my excess though
Insurance company was fine with it, didn't need a police report ( nothing they can do anyway) and kept my same rate and no claims discount so wasn't too bad other then the excess.
Just give your insurer a call and ask if you keep your No claims discount etc...
Old 07-06-2011, 04:08 PM   #9
tyranid
Starter Motor

this is how my magna was written off for good stupid hit and run kids
tyranid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2011, 04:30 PM   #10
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Get a quote and see how bad the damage to your wallet is. If it is close to your excess just pay it yourself and don't tell insurance.

If your excess is a basic $500 one and the quote is substantially more go through insurance. If it's your 'pride and joy' you will want the repair done correctly with lifetime warranty.

Had this happen to the Festiva. Excess was $1000, got it repaired for $600 by a 'mate of a mate'... enough to keep the car looking respectable.

Remember, any good repair, prep and paint job starts at the half grand mark, then you need to worry about blending etc etc etc.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2011, 05:01 PM   #11
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

As others have said talk to your ins company first. Then get a few quotes from Panel shops pointing out the situation and that you'll be paying cash.

There's a huge difference between an insurance quote and a cash one.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:15 PM   #12
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can help with this. I left my claims role about 3 months ago.

Depending on what state you are, you may not have to report it to the police. Off the top of my head, it is the ACT you need to make a police report, and in S.A if damage over $1000 you need to make a police report. The other states you may not have to. (may want to check with local police station) If you do not have to make a police report, then I would not worry as the police will not do anything.

Now for your excess, you will have to pay the standard excess and any extra excess you have chosen to reduce your premium. If you are under 25 you will not have to pay any age excess, because you were not in the Control of the car at the time. Age excess only applies if the person in the car driving was under the age of 25, or the conditions of the policy.

Depending on what company and what is stated in your policy, you may lose your Rating/no claim bonus. If you do lose your rating/no claim bonus, your premium will increase, and it will be reflected on your next renewal.

The costing you are looking at is around $1500 without insurance and about $2500 plus with going through insurance. As my BA GT has suffered very similar damage. Damage to the rear bar, needs to be remoulded, damage to the rear tail light and damage to the rear quarter panel all on the passenger side. The dent is about the size of a basketball and there is yellow paint from a taxi on the back of the car.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2011, 05:48 PM   #13
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

UPDATE UPDATE : I have just recieved in my posession DIGITAL video (multiple angles) of the perpetrator you can see paint transfer on his vehicle from mine (indicates an undeniable act of contact between the vehicles) - I am trying my damnedest to see that the perpetrator pays for it as on principle alone it isn't fair that I am left to foot the bill for their incompetence - I also have been made aware of a pair of witnesses to the act with which I am yet to speak. Really hope I can leave THEM holding the bag instead of me - will keep posted with any further developments

Old 07-06-2011, 05:51 PM   #14
Fled74
The Thread Killa

That's good news!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2011, 05:58 PM   #15
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Karma does exist after all! That's good news mate. I can understand the hit, everyone makes mistakes, but to just take off and not own up, it's a dog act, hope they get what's coming to them.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:59 PM   #16
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
UPDATE UPDATE : I have just recieved in my posession DIGITAL video (multiple angles) of the perpetrator you can see paint transfer on his vehicle from mine (indicates an undeniable act of contact between the vehicles)
There would be no denying there was contact, you have already said there's scratches and red paint there.
Quote:
I also have been made aware of a pair of witnesses to the act with which I am yet to speak. Really hope I can leave THEM holding the bag instead of me - will keep posted with any further developments
Why would you want to blame a witness? What did they have to do with it?

Unless the video clearly shows his number plate I'm not quite sure what you hope to achieve with this.

Any photo's for us to see yet?
Old 07-06-2011, 06:01 PM   #17
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
UPDATE UPDATE : I have just recieved in my posession DIGITAL video (multiple angles) of the perpetrator you can see paint transfer on his vehicle from mine (indicates an undeniable act of contact between the vehicles) - I am trying my damnedest to see that the perpetrator pays for it as on principle alone it isn't fair that I am left to foot the bill for their incompetence - I also have been made aware of a pair of witnesses to the act with which I am yet to speak. Really hope I can leave THEM holding the bag instead of me - will keep posted with any further developments

Get those witnesses ASAP, paint transfer means nothing. The other person can argue that they hit something else and it is just coincidence that the marks match and you will be left with the bill. Unless someone can come forward and say they seen the accident, or the video shows the car hitting your car and you can clearly see the number plates, or the person with the paint transfer admits to it you will be stuck with the bill.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:03 PM   #18
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

er by them I mean the driver of the car not the witnesses - sorry fumbled the sentence, I am examining the video not only is there paint transfer but you can see my car rock when it gets "touched" and what I hope to "achieve" is to send a message to inconsiderate fools that carpark hit and run that they will be held to account for damage they do to the property of others, the video footage will be given to the police as will the witnesses' contact details, the Police are busy people if I can do some of the intel gathering for them it saves them time does it not?

Old 07-06-2011, 06:08 PM   #19
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The worst part of all this. He will more than likely lodge a claim with his insurance company pay his excess, cover both damages and that will be it. Unless you want to go further with the police, like charge him with hit and run. But more than likely the courts will jsut slap him on the wrist.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:35 PM   #20
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Mate, Claim on your insurance. You will only have to pay your standard excess as the age excess cannot be applied as your driving had nothing to do with the damage. If the insurer states otherwise ask for the descion to be reviewed. Leagaly then cannot apply an age excess in the instance. I would also pass a copy of the video footage you have, They can do rego searches easy enough. If they recover they will refund your excess.
So don't bite your nose off to spite your face. Worse case scenario is you have your standard excess. (Unless of course you chose a higher excess to lower your premium)
Old 07-06-2011, 09:52 PM   #21
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Listen to this man ^^^...he know the business
Old 07-06-2011, 10:23 PM   #22
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

When I had a lady open her door on to the rear of my tub at work I also had video footage. It was blurry at best, and you could not make out the make and model of the car let alone the number plate. The company invoice printing records put her at the scene of the crime at the same time as the incident. I gave Aami a print out of the invoice and the footage and got a call the next day to say I didnt have to pay the excess. With the evidence they cant ask you to be out of pocket after you stumped up your premium. Its your insurance companies loss if they cant recover costs from the at fault party. Thats what i was told by the agents at aami doing my assessment, and backed up by somebody on the phone later.
Good luck with it, I hate scum who are too little to admit fault.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2011, 10:35 PM   #23
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

You were lucky to get the footage.... you wouldn't want to violate the 'privacy' of the offender now would you....

I would have also said that the scrape alone is not proof it happened (you know and I know they did it, but that isn't enough these days)...

The fact you have the impact on tape... well if you have the plates visible then it should be game, set and match to you.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2011, 11:52 PM   #24
GT-E

If you have the number plate, then lodge a claim with the number plate of the at fault vehicle.
Let the insurance company contact them and make the demands. Do not involve yourself in it or you may be trying to find a Rebels bikie who will rearrange your face for the pleasure of finding him.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:55 PM   #25
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I discovered a nice trolly scrape down both panels on my left hand side... no note... no nothing.... bugger going to insurance over it though.

Now on the other hand... mate of mine got the whole rear left quater-panel caved in by an absent minded driver backing out (from what we could tell), damage was in the order of $2500+. He made the claim and only had to pay $500 excess as opposed to $1500 if HE was at fault.

Now the kicker.... his insurance was normally only $1200-ish per year... just got his renewal and it's over $2000.... they know how to get their money back that's for sure!
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2011, 12:51 AM   #26
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
I can help with this. I left my claims role about 3 months ago.

Depending on what state you are, you may not have to report it to the police. Off the top of my head, it is the ACT you need to make a police report, and in S.A if damage over $1000 you need to make a police report. The other states you may not have to. (may want to check with local police station) If you do not have to make a police report, then I would not worry as the police will not do anything.

Had $800 worth of damage done to my car, whilst in my yard. Went to the police and they took a report, just in case I needed it for insurance purposes.

I won't go into specifics how the damage occured though, other than the car was home and no one else from my house hold was.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone

Last edited by svo supporter; 08-06-2011 at 12:57 AM.
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2011, 12:53 AM   #27
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman
Yer same here, i did report mine to the police, but they basically said theres nothing they can do (or could be bothered doing).

How can a copper act, if there wasn't a number plate to go by? Search their data base for every red car on the system, in Australia, and hope to find the right one?

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2011, 02:04 AM   #28
icer
Winning's Winning!

if i was in your shoes, id kick/scratch/key every other panel on the car and claim a whole full respray and make the insurance claim count. Not saying this is what i do, just a theory

Now with new setup 460rwkw on 15psi. 30PSI is fun!
icer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2011, 02:24 AM   #29
982F6

I had a mate do something like that to his car and the panelbeater did it more again before the assessor arrived. Got the respray though.
982F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2011, 02:35 PM   #30
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

been in contact with RACV and was told something along the lines of this

if you cannot give us the details of the "at fault party" we will not repair your vehicle your excess is currently at $1000 and should the damage be worthy of a claim we will not do a repair unless you can provide us the details of the at fault party

ok allow me to translate this into laymans terms

our shareholders will receive a smaller dividend if we were to pay out on your claim, but if you were to provide us the at fault party their dividend will not be affected, and as a result we are more than happy to repair your vehicle

this is grade "A" bulls%^t if you ask me why have insurance if I cannot claim this type of thing? I could drive around uninsured and should the same thing happen I would be infront by the amount of premiums I would have paid less the repair cost, with this sort of crap happening it is little wonder there is so many uninsured drivers out there. As of this moment I am extremely irritated with RACV and I will be contacting them again to cancel my home and contents insurance as well as my three cars. Lets see how their shareholders like people cancelling policies