Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-09-2011, 07:40 PM   #1
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default What is Holdens next V8?

I am seriously looking at buying a new standard SS ute in manual. However in the back of my mind I am wondering whether or not it might be worth holding off to see what Holden does with their next generation of V8 engines?

I'd really like to say that I could conside an FPV GS ute, but I just don't fit under the steering wheel. Apart from that accomodation issue, I really like the 5.0 S/C, its a ripper engine.

So back to the Holden 6.0 litre, it is muscular too, in a different way, loves to rev and has some serious get up and go. More than enough to get the rears going through second gear.

So for the money I am looking at spending (35k) I can get into an SS and drive away, but I am intending to keep whatever I buy this time for 10 years +. So I dont want to regret it! Finances can be stretched for the right car.

I have read somewhere that GM will be releasing Gen 5 series V8's sometime shortly. Any idea what it might entail? 5.5 Litres sounds familiar with 300 odd kw.

So what would you do?

calais is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2011, 07:44 PM   #2
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Re: What is Holdens next V8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by calais
I am seriously looking at buying a new standard SS ute in manual. However in the back of my mind I am wondering whether or not it might be worth holding off to see what Holden does with their next generation of V8 engines?

I'd really like to say that I could conside an FPV GS ute, but I just don't fit under the steering wheel. Apart from that accomodation issue, I really like the 5.0 S/C, its a ripper engine.

So back to the Holden 6.0 litre, it is muscular too, in a different way, loves to rev and has some serious get up and go. More than enough to get the rears going through second gear.

So for the money I am looking at spending (35k) I can get into an SS and drive away, but I am intending to keep whatever I buy this time for 10 years +. So I dont want to regret it! Finances can be stretched for the right car.

I have read somewhere that GM will be releasing Gen 5 series V8's sometime shortly. Any idea what it might entail? 5.5 Litres sounds familiar with 300 odd kw.

So what would you do?
Ummm... $35k for a new SS... where?

Anyway.. Id wait until a new design engine has proven itself,,,

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2011, 07:46 PM   #3
f1tzy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

search google
f1tzy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2011, 07:48 PM   #4
MexicanBatman
Banned

Can I ask how you don't fit under said steering wheel

Workmate is 6'4" and 145kg and fits just fine in his FG XR8
MexicanBatman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2011, 08:03 PM   #5
Rusty62
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

FG steering wheel is about 25mm lower than previous models for 'safety reasons'... They are harder to get into than a BA/BF, particularly if you like the seat high.
They reckon you can fix it by removing spacers but not sure of the process and it would render the car unroadworthy I guess.
I will be looking into this when I get my new GTP in a few days as it is my pet dislike with this model.
2011 FG GT-P #138 BLOWN 5.0, Auto, Vanish
2003 BA G220 Lighting Strike/Black leather
2007 BF Mk2 Fairmont Ghia 4.0, ZF in Ego/Cream Leather
1989 Daihatsu Rocky 4x4 - for the bush
2015 Nissan Patrol - for the long drive to the bush
2014 BMW R1200GS
2009 Ducati 1098 Streetfighter
plus the boat and trailer...fark that’s 9 regos and insurances each year
Rusty62 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2011, 08:21 PM   #6
yift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Countless sensible, accurate mechanical advice on all things Falcon and Territory. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty62
FG steering wheel is about 25mm lower than previous models for 'safety reasons'... They are harder to get into than a BA/BF, particularly if you like the seat high.
They reckon you can fix it by removing spacers but not sure of the process and it would render the car unroadworthy I guess.
I will be looking into this when I get my new GTP in a few days as it is my pet dislike with this model.

we get an egineering firm to legally lower the seats in fg's fo people like me that cant fit under the steering wheel properly, especially in manuals.
yift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2011, 08:40 PM   #7
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

I'd probably go to LS1.com and ask there...?
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2011, 08:41 PM   #8
b2tf
not here much anymore

Rumoured to go backwards in size to around 5 or 5.5L sometime around 2013.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:48 PM   #9
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by yift
we get an egineering firm to legally lower the seats in fg's fo people like me that cant fit under the steering wheel properly, especially in manuals.
I hope they rectify this with FG2.. I will be dumbfounded if they don't. My mate who is 6'10" could fit in a BF fine but not in an FG.
On the topic, C7 Corvette is rumored to be getting a tiny twin turbo V8 (like 3L) could be something like that?
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2011, 09:24 PM   #10
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They could be going smaller in capacity with a turbo or supercharger, like what Ford has done....

Either that or just add one of their 6.2L V8's into the SS
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2011, 09:35 PM   #11
Bossxr8
Peter Car

It will be 5.5 litres with VCT (one the one cam lol). Even though its smaller it should make similar or slightly more power than the 6 litre.

No supercharged or turbo versions for Holden. Don't know about HSV.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2011, 09:41 PM   #12
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

they way they have been going bigger and bigger it may be a 10L with a suitably big fuel tank
but seriously this probably isn't the best place to find out what you need to know, sure there are members here with holdens but you probably won't find any who are so interested that they know about all the future developments like you would find on a holden forum. I'm by no means having a go at you just passing on my opinion

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2011, 09:54 PM   #13
FPVGT500
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A Pushrod...........lol
FPVGT500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2011, 09:58 PM   #14
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

LS1.com is overflowing with people whom I dont care to hear from. I have been a member here for years, and always found it to be an accomodating place.

I didn't create create this thread to begin bashing either brand. I am genuinely interested to know if anyone with their ear to the ground knows something the industry hasn't made certain yet.

By 'fit' under the steering wheel in the FG, is that I have had a number of back operations that make straigtening my legs flat underneath it to get in and out a seriously compromising exercise. Not to mention it would no doubt become painful.

The commodore ute on the other hand allows me to raise the steering wheel far enough to allow me to 'fall' in figuratively speaking.

To those that have asked how an SS ute comes to 35k, I get a 'fleet' discount of sorts and even without it, im sure some dealers would be keen enough to discount coming up to 2012 anyway.

By the way, if the FG series 2 upgrade involves a changed steering column, i'd be back inline for a GS...........
Old 12-09-2011, 10:01 PM   #15
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
It will be 5.5 litres with VCT (one the one cam lol). Even though its smaller it should make similar or slightly more power than the 6 litre.

No supercharged or turbo versions for Holden. Don't know about HSV.
That wouldnt be seen in a Commodore before 2014 though right?
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2011, 10:12 PM   #16
SS_01
Erebus Motorsport Fan

Go the SS, you can tow more in manual form than the GS, its a better seating position, and a manual gearbox that works properly. You can even get a thunder SS for $39,990 Driveaway and with fleet, your right, it will be around 35k.

As for upcoming motors, the 6L is fine, if you find it lacks, slap a supercharger on it with the coin you save over the GS.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:17 PM   #17
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Chaser
Ummm... $35k for a new SS... where?

Anyway.. Id wait until a new design engine has proven itself,,,
http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/demo/details.aspx?R=10771813&__Qpb=1&Cr=3&__Ns=pCar_Pri ceSort_Decimal|0||pCar_RankSort_Int32|1||pCar_Make _String|0||pCar_Model_String|0&keywords=&__N=1216% 201246%201252%204294965857%204294964873%2042949333 51&SearchAction=N&silo=1011&seot=1&tsrc=allcarhome &__Nne=15&trecs=75&__sid=120C481D6D3D
thats how you get one for 35k

to op, id just get one now. you wont see the new motor for a while yet.

and unless you want leather or satnav there is now no reason to get the 'v'
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2011, 10:25 PM   #18
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't need to tow anything bigger than a box trailer from time to time, and the heaviest thing that might ever make it into the tray would be my Harley and my riding gear, about 500kg or so.

I guess when the dollars are considered, the holden is definately a driveaway winner, however....... The engine and driveline is not as good as the 5.0 SC /ZF conbination of the GS, and that is clearly where the extra dollars go for the FPV.

As far as value goes, I see both vehicles and being on par. Real world performance and fuel economy are close, warranties are the same, and insurance is within 100 dollars a year of each other.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:27 PM   #19
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Since its introduction in 1955, Chevrolet’s Small Block V-8 has carved itself a niche that could otherwise never be filled. Affordable, lightweight and offering great performance for its size, the Small Block is to the automotive world what the Apple iPad is to tech-heads.

Now, with ever-hardening CAFE regulations and overinflated fuel prices, one would think the Small Block’s time had finally come. Not so, according to Mark Damico, GM’s small-block design system engineer.

Though there’s been no official confirmation from GM itself, Mr. Damico swears that the fifth generation Chevy Small Block is currently under development. In fact, Mr. Damico claims that as much as US$890 million is being spent on its development.

The previous generation powers everything from Chevy’s Silverado and Suburban models to the Camaro SS and Corvette ZR1.

Not much is known about the new engine at this stage except that solenoid actuators will be used in place of the more-expensive piezo-based units, and that there will be a renewed push to reduce weight and increase fuel economy.

For this reason, it’s more than likely that the new engine will use an aluminium block instead of cast-iron. The engine is also likely to have the same two-valve per cylinder, one pushrod per valve and overhead cam layout that it’s used for so long.

As Mr. Damico explains: “The 2-valve technology is not a disadvantage in terms of performance. We can make the engine lighter and the packaging better. You can’t put a DOHC engine in a Corvette.”

Jamie Meyer, GM Performance Parts’ product integration manager estimates that as many as one-third of the 40,000 or so classic cars at Detroit’s recent Dream Cruise event were using GM Small Block technology – even under the hood of competitor’s cars.

The engines are produced in such diverse places as Ontario, Michigan and Mexico, and production of the fifth-generation engine is expected to create some 1,600 new jobs.
My guess is:
5.3 to 5.5 litre V8, Pushrod with Direct Injection that makes around the same power and torque as the base AFM 6.0 in the SS.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2011, 10:36 PM   #20
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO
That wouldnt be seen in a Commodore before 2014 though right?
Probably not. I don't think it will go into any GM cars till sometime next year?

So you'd imagine Holden wouldn't get it till at least a year after that.

VF would have to have it.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2011, 10:39 PM   #21
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^ Interesting read..... But isnt the existing 6.0 block light enough already?

I like the simplicity of the pushrod and two valve layout, doesn't suprise me that GM would stand by it, the results are there.

It's not cutting edge but practical all the same.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:49 PM   #22
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

pushrod AND overhead cam, wow, the technology. Or is it poor journalism.

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2011, 10:56 PM   #23
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
LS1.com is overflowing with people whom I dont care to hear from. I have been a member here for years, and always found it to be an accomodating place.

I didn't create create this thread to begin bashing either brand. I am genuinely interested to know if anyone with their ear to the ground knows something the industry hasn't made certain yet.

By 'fit' under the steering wheel in the FG, is that I have had a number of back operations that make straigtening my legs flat underneath it to get in and out a seriously compromising exercise. Not to mention it would no doubt become painful.

The commodore ute on the other hand allows me to raise the steering wheel far enough to allow me to 'fall' in figuratively speaking.

To those that have asked how an SS ute comes to 35k, I get a 'fleet' discount of sorts and even without it, im sure some dealers would be keen enough to discount coming up to 2012 anyway.

By the way, if the FG series 2 upgrade involves a changed steering column, i'd be back inline for a GS...........
In fairness to Rodp he wasn't having a go at you, it just seemed the more logical thing to do as you'd expect them to know more about it. And fair enough, we understand why you wouldn't go there.

No point in holding off till then because if it's a keeper then the 6 litre has a lot of scope with more power if that's what you're chasing. And sometimes a previous model can be better in some ways than what replaces it...
I took my cousin's Thunder SS for drive on the weekend, it's not bad a driver's vehicle. It could do with more power, but then that's only a few mods away. Buy now, and enjoy.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:01 PM   #24
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
In fairness to Rodp he wasn't having a go at you, it just seemed the more logical thing to do as you'd expect them to know more about it. And fair enough, we understand why you wouldn't go there.

No point in holding off till then because if it's a keeper then the 6 litre has a lot of scope with more power if that's what you're chasing. And sometimes a previous model can be better in some ways than what replaces it...
I took my cousin's Thunder SS for drive on the weekend, it's not bad a driver's vehicle. It could do with more power, but then that's only a few mods away. Buy now, and enjoy.
You do make some good points mate. And I know I would be buying the 'other' brand, but all in all I think it would still be a good buy. I would probably throw a tune at it, and some places are able to extract 320kw without any other changes. Can't complain about that.

To be honest its level advice like what you posted that keeps me coming back to this Forum.
Old 13-09-2011, 01:18 AM   #25
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Probably not. I don't think it will go into any GM cars till sometime next year?

So you'd imagine Holden wouldn't get it till at least a year after that.

VF would have to have it.
Another factor is Holden havent technically used the Corvette motor since they stopped using the LS1. Since then HSV have had the LS motors and Holden have had the L motors. How the Gen5 gets used in GM's trucks and SUV's could prove interesting, or Holden may go back to the Corvette motor.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2011, 08:27 AM   #26
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The next Corvette is rumoured to be a 5.5l, so unless the 6.0l goes out of production, I reckon Holden will be using the 5.5l aswell.
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2011, 08:36 AM   #27
Deco28

Actually according to insiders from another website the new 8's are:

A 5.3L VVT DI and a 6.2l VVT DI. These engines have a new design (cam in cam or something) which allows upwards of 2 valves per cylinder in a pushrod design and also allow cam phasing and a more comprehensive VVT system then is currently used on GenIV and is as good as what is possible on a DOHC engine. Maintains the weight benefits and availability of low down torque benefits of the pushrod while adding the benfits of a DOHC motor.

Could be interesting, I'd say the 6.2 will come in different tunes, as well as a supercharger - thought probably none of the latter for Australia.
Deco28 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2011, 09:46 AM   #28
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I don't mean to sound picky here but you claim to have a back problem and fitting under the steeringwheel of the FG is a drama ?,
But yet you are looking at purchasing a "manual" wouldn't that cause a uncomfortable driving experience aswell if you have a bad back ?.
Why not a auto ?.
galaxy xr8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2011, 01:19 PM   #29
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
^ Interesting read..... But isnt the existing 6.0 block light enough already?
it will help fuel economy if it's even lighter, which seems to be an important factor these days.
Old 13-09-2011, 02:42 PM   #30
Chopped
as in chopped

I heard they are dusting off the 308....