Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-09-2011, 08:08 PM   #1
robbo/region15

Default Manuals-Thing of the past?

One thing i noticed this week @ Broady,was the lack of Manuals being built...
Out of the 300 odd Fords we checked ,only 3 were Manuals.
All Terris were Auto ,Falcons ,XR6's ,LPI,Utes [with the nice roll bars] all autos.

So,a general Q here, is the Manual a thing of the past?

robbo/region15 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2011, 08:15 PM   #2
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Default Re: Manuals-Thing of the past?

In large cars, i'd probably have to say that they have been replaced to a large extent.

In the Falcon in particular it probably doesnt help that the tow limit of an Auto is 700kg higher then for a manual, plus that fleets wont buy manuals anyway.

However, in smaller cars, especially at the budget at the end of the market the manual will probably live on for a while yet. I had an i20 auto hire car on the weekend, thing didn't move unless you revved it, so if I ever bought one of those it'd have to be a manual.
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2011, 08:29 PM   #3
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

The Territory has never been available in a manual and fleets won't buy manuals anyway, as autos get better and reduce the inefficiencies then there will be a less of a reason to have manuals in anything other than performance cars. Like it or not, that's how it will end up. I remember when automatic transmission was like a $1000 option on Falcons and Commodores, then later it was a no cost option and now the status quo has been reversed - you have to specify a manual if you want one (is it a cost option??)

As for me, I prefer my utes with a manual.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2011, 08:34 PM   #4
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
I remember when automatic transmission was like a $1000 option on Falcons and Commodores, then later it was a no cost option and now the status quo has been reversed - you have to specify a manual if you want one (is it a cost option??)
Its not a cost option. Its hard to get a manual Ford but they seem to hold their value better then the auto's, while nothing special its better then a kick in the pants.
Old 15-09-2011, 08:34 PM   #5
Stazza_Brendan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Autos have come a hell of a long way. Most buying a Ford probably use it for the daily commute where an auto is usually more desireable.
I wasnt a big auto fan but love my ZF xr6T
ZF - Optioned interior - Hardlid - Rapidsystems V4.5 kit - GTX3576R - Crow Cams Valve springs - 1000cc KPM injectors - 20" MC Racing Wheels - DashDaq/Cobalt Gauges - 4in dump/3.5in exhaust system - Shockworks Coilovers - 30mm Swaybar - Shockworks 4pot 355mm front brakes - GT R-spec rear brakes
CPV Tuned to 340rwkw
Stazza_Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2011, 09:19 PM   #6
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interestingly in europe they sell more manuals, but America and Aus have a fascination with being lazy.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2011, 09:22 PM   #7
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

One thing I have noticed all week is how you have mentioned how you have been at Broady..and still dont know what LPi is.

IWCMOGTVM
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2011, 09:31 PM   #8
robbo/region15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
One thing I have noticed all week is how you have mentioned how you have been at Broady..and still dont know what LPi is.

IWCMOGTVM
Point being?
Old 15-09-2011, 09:41 PM   #9
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

From what I've gathered, Ford only builds manuals to order, so they would go straight to the dealer after manufacture and so there would be virtually none being held there at Ford.

IWCMOGTVM as well.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2011, 09:58 PM   #10
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Less and less people are learning manual, my partner cannot drive manual and has stated even if she learns she has zero interest in driving a manual fulltime.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2011, 10:06 PM   #11
Zaxx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Eh.
Personal choice, it's all it boils down to.

As you've said you noticed a lot more Auto's.
That's dead on, and I can understand why, you mentioned fleets, and terri's aren't optioned with manual gearboxes.

But to be perfectly honest. I bought my first XR6 (2004 BA) That had the 4 Speed Auto.

Last week?
I went out of my way, and lost about.. 2-2.5k buying my new BA MK II XR6 Ute.
That had the 5 Speed Manual.

Do I regret that?
Hell no.

If people want manuals, they get them.
But as far as availability goes. Unless you're buying one of those mass produced hatchbacks, that are so prevalent..
Auto it is.

Funnily enough however, I noticed, that every single Great Wall car, is a manual. Auto apparantly isn't an option yet?..

Sounds damn good to me.
Zaxx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2011, 10:06 PM   #12
Zaxx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
Less and less people are learning manual, my partner cannot drive manual and has stated even if she learns she has zero interest in driving a manual fulltime.

I second this.
Zaxx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2011, 10:13 PM   #13
robbo/region15

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Six
I second this.
I agree,reading these replies ,years ago it would cost you more for the Auto option.
Being a Bike Rider its so hard to adapt from Hand Clutch to pedal clutch..... ,but yes i did learn to drive in a column Valiant ......found out you cant put your feet down on a hill to stop rolling back,like on a Bike,hahhahahaha
Old 16-09-2011, 01:41 AM   #14
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2
Interestingly in europe they sell more manuals, but America and Aus have a fascination with being lazy.
Might also have something to do with our straighter, much wider roads, capital cities designed in grid patterns and generally much larger cars? Autos make more sense in Aus and the USA, whereas the opposite is true in Europe.

Auto makes sense in a car like the Falcon, if I'm buying a big cruiser I expect it to be able to change it's own gears.
Old 16-09-2011, 02:16 AM   #15
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Many years ago in the early eighties the figures for the USA were something like 82% of cars sold had auto's, and we all laughed at them for being "lazy Yanks", because as said above, an auto was an expensive option here. The "normal" gearbox was a four speed manual...or five speed if you were really lucky. If you picked an auto, you knew you were going to ruin your fuel economy for the small convenience, as they were all three speeds, like the Traumatic in the old WB 253 ute we just bought. I'll be looking at fitting either the five speed Celica box I've got sitting in the shed, or maybe a kit for a four speed auto box out of a later Commodore at some stage in the future.

Funny how things change...

I must admit that when I once borrowed our sons '90 Corolla Seca with the excellent 4A-GE engine in it and five speed manual with a heavy duty clutch and drove it through Brisbane traffic, that after a while of the stop-go stuff, I was wishing for the auto in the XC GXL Fairmont we owned at the time...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 05:41 AM   #16
midnightXR6

Ill be looking for a manual when i find another falcon to import. Just my preference tho.
midnightXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 05:52 AM   #17
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2
Could not agree more Irish
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 07:36 AM   #18
ray38l

Manuals are slowly dying. The car manufactures are making it harder to buy a manual. Many new l platers only learn auto.
My girlfriend is about to go for her p's and has done 300 hours and driven an auto once. I made sure she learnt in a manual because living in a mining town almost all work cars are manual. A guy i work with now is about to get fired because the company i work for has a policy of manual only.
ray38l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 08:08 AM   #19
Rodge
Banned

The reason manuals are slowly dying is the remarkable improvements in auto's especially the world class ZF.

The vast majority of people who have sampled a ZF and live in congested cities wouldn't dream of going back to a stick shift.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 08:34 AM   #20
Terror_Tree
SZ II TS Territory-Black

Even though the 6 speed auto in my Territory is the best auto I have ever driven, I still love the old manual gearbox. I could never own a V8 auto, when (if?) I get my GT Falcon there is no way it's going to be an auto.

FWD is the Devils work
Terror_Tree is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 08:49 AM   #21
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The vast majority of people who have sampled a ZF and live in congested cities wouldn't dream of going back to a stick shift.
Probably the biggest reason im guessing... driving around in peak hour who wants to keep changing gears?
and yes I prefer a manual too... makes it hard when once in a blue moon i get to drive a truck at work which prefers double clutching after driving a auto 99% of the time though.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 09:17 AM   #22
LTDHO
The one and only

The Aussie driver is getting slack and wants their driving experience to be as easy as possible.

Personally, you are not driving a car if you are not controling the gears, that' is just me.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 10:06 AM   #23
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray38l
Manuals are slowly dying. The car manufactures are making it harder to buy a manual. Many new l platers only learn auto.
My girlfriend is about to go for her p's and has done 300 hours and driven an auto once. I made sure she learnt in a manual because living in a mining town almost all work cars are manual. A guy i work with now is about to get fired because the company i work for has a policy of manual only.
That's funny...The railways out here and in other depots have an automatic only policy. make sense...it covers everyone, whether they have an auto-only licence or not.

My missus has an automatic licence...believe it or not she didn't get her licence until she turned 26. She can drive a manual and has her learners for it attached to her licence, she just hasn't got around to getting it yet. She wants to though so she can drive the Celica when we take it on a trip without worrying about slapping on L plates.

I'd agree about the ZF...I used to be a manual-only guy, and hated autos, but that ZF is amazing...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 11:43 AM   #24
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
The Aussie driver is getting slack and wants their driving experience to be as easy as possible.

Personally, you are not driving a car if you are not controling the gears, that' is just me.

Agree to a point but i ve only driven manuals for 20 years and having to battle peak traffic daily can see automatic being a smarter option. There is no enjoyment in start stop congested traffic .
My daily driver is still manual though...
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 11:51 AM   #25
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's quite disappointing in my opinion. I'm getting so sick of driving autos all the time (car salesman) and every time I find something that's manual its usually a turbo diesel focus or fiesta I try to really enjoy it.

I have to say though the turbos are better in automatic. The FPV V8's are better as a manual but they're still incredible as an auto.
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 11:51 AM   #26
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

When my son was on his learners and going for his license, he learnt in a manual, however when it came time for the test, all his mates said it was easier to pass in an auto so he sat for his auto instead.

I was not a happy camper! but that tends to be the trend nowadays. What ever is easier seems to be the option most people take. Sad but true!
Old 16-09-2011, 11:59 AM   #27
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo/region15
Manuals-Thing of the past?
Yes. Absolutely.

Manuals only exist for three reasons:
1. insecure people, so they still have something they can control
2. people who think their decade old family car is a race car
3. journalists

FTR i have owned almost as many manual cars as automatics.
Old 16-09-2011, 12:01 PM   #28
partsguy
Fan of torque steer

I won't be letting my kids off learning in a manual. Just bought my son an EF Futura factory manual in pretty good shape for a very good price.
When my daughter turns 16, she will get a manual too, she's not so keen to drive a big car though!
2015 LZ Focus ST, Frozen white with tech pack. Mountune intercooler, intake, Mountune sports cat, Mountune cat-back and Cobb stage 3 tune. FSwerks short shift and the best performance upgrade yet - Michelin Pilot Sport 4's. Quaife LSD.
partsguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 12:02 PM   #29
MAD
Petro-sexual

No matter how good an auto is, to me it's only as a comparison to previous autos. Manual always for me.
Old 16-09-2011, 12:06 PM   #30
swanee
spoolin!

Last 3 Falcons I have owned have been manuals.

My BA XLS was a T5 which I bought new.
My BA2 XR8 Ute was a T56 (2nd hand) and my FG FPV GS is a TR6060 which I got this week (ex FMC car).

Manuals are out there... but they are rare. Some dealers order a few manuals for their stock, whilst others (as has been mentioned) will only order them when someone wants one.

Previous Rides - 2014 Black Mica PX XLT Ranger Dual Cab 3.2 Diesel

2011 FPV GS 315 Sedan. Sunburst, manual, fully optioned. Build #165.

My 1955 Ford Thunderbird Project (A tribute to my late mother) - 1955 Thunderbird Build Thread
swanee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post