Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-09-2011, 12:42 AM   #1
reece1
reece1

Default modified cars in nsw lookout

as of/after the 30th sept 2011 engineer signatories will no longer be able to pass your vehicle. the rug has been ripped out from under them. the powers that be are trying to implement a new system to have a modified car passed.this system in my view will fail. and will also over complicate the process so bad that people will give up. the whhispers have been around for a while about this but now it is here. the nanny state has gone over the top this time. we need to scream at the roads minister about this one in a huge way. or this may be the last major nail in the coffin.

reece1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 12:59 AM   #2
thedutchman92

Default Re: modified cars in nsw lookout

And I thought the new NSW government were supposed to take the load of motorists and place it on the RTA......thanks alot wheels magazine, called it too early and pushed your own agenda.
thedutchman92 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 01:01 AM   #3
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

reece,

What exactly is changing? You havent actually explained, rather you've just gone off in a panic.

thedutchman, wasnt the RTA supposed to be gone by now? And I notice the speed camera at urunga (which was supposed to go) was still there and still signed two weeks ago....
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 08:40 AM   #4
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH
thedutchman, wasnt the RTA supposed to be gone by now? And I notice the speed camera at urunga (which was supposed to go) was still there and still signed two weeks ago....
Apparently switched off though.
Old 16-09-2011, 10:05 AM   #5
EFFalcon
Last warning

so it'll end up like Victoria where people just don't get engineered
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 06:59 PM   #6
AUIIISR

A little more info would be nice, got a link?
AUIIISR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 08:42 PM   #7
reece1
reece1

[QUOTE=SteveJH]reece,

[What exactly is changing? You havent actually explained, rather you've just gone off in a panic. ]

no panic here i dont know how you got that from it. here is what is happening as of/after the 30th sept 2011 engineer signatories will no longer be able to pass your vehicle. the rug has been ripped out from under them.
i dont know if you are aware of the process in nsw when you modify a vehicle. you need to obtain a engineers report to certify the modifacations prior to registration.
this system is being finished at the end of the month. reports written prior to the 30th of sept 2011 will be accepted for 6 months after this date.
the new system being set up will complicate the process as you may have to use several different certifiers to sign off on different parts of your car.
i went to seminar the rta had on this at the end of last year asking for people in the automotive industry to become a part of the new system. you can become a certifier for example in braking systems. you need to prove evidence of your skills, examples of work.interview process and some sort of course. all the info was not on the table at the time. most people beleived this new system would not go forward. as it was not set in stone yet. but they kept it quiet and now its here.
and it looks like they have no new certifiers ready for the new system even though they have numerous applicants.
my opinion is if they make it alot harder to modify a vehicle legally the majority of people will give up. and i feel that is the main goal here.
Old 16-09-2011, 08:48 PM   #8
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece1
No panic here i dont know how you got that from it.

Here is what is happening, as of/after the 30th sept 2011 engineer signatories will no longer be able to pass your vehicle. The rug has been ripped out from under them.

I dont know if you are aware of the process in nsw when you modify a vehicle, but you need to obtain a engineers report to certify the modifications prior to registration. This system is being finished at the end of this month. Reports that were written prior to the 30th of sept 2011 will be accepted for 6 months after this date.

The new system being set up will complicate the process as you may have to use several different certifiers to sign off on different parts of your car. I went to seminar the rta had on this at the end of last year asking for people in the automotive industry to become a part of the new system. For example, you can become a certifier. You need to prove evidence of your skills, examples of work, pass an interview process and some sort of course.

All the info was not on the table at the time, most people beleived this new system would not go forward as it was not set in stone yet, but they kept it quiet and now its here. It looks like they have no new certifiers ready for the new system even though they have numerous applicants.

My opinion is if they make it alot harder to modify a vehicle legally the majority of people will give up. and i feel that is the main goal here.
Thanks for the clarification, that makes much clearer.

I like the idea of people not being able to sign of particular aspects of a car unless they are actually trained in that aspect, however it seems that the "not-RTA" is doing a bad job with the implementation side of the program.

Does that sound about right?
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 09:11 PM   #9
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

I've known this for a long time.... Nothing new to me with it popping up now though....

If your car is modified, yet legal, what's to worry about?....

Apart from a few Coppers who we all hate.......
Old 16-09-2011, 09:14 PM   #10
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is Australia. Not many will make a fuss. Nothing will change.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 09:20 PM   #11
reece1
reece1

the engineer system we have now is a good and pretty strict system. and they are actually engineers who can look at your whole combo as a working unit.
the new way if it gets off the ground. go to the brake engineer go to the engine engineer the suspension engineer, chassis guy and so on. this all equals more time and more money.. it seems like alot harder system. wonder why
Old 16-09-2011, 09:48 PM   #12
reece1
reece1

here is some better info on it

The Vehicle Safety Compliance Certification Scheme (VSCCS) is a new scheme under which RTA licensed business partners will be able to certify that modified production vehicles (light vehicles, motor cycles and trucks), individually constructed vehicles and personally imported vehicles meet the applicable vehicle safety standards. The following provides an update on the progress of the scheme.

Timeline
The VSCCS is scheduled to commence on 30 September 2011. The RTA is currently accepting Expressions of Interest to become a VSCCS Licensed Certifier. Visit http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registrati...ccs/index.html for details.

Engineering Certification Scheme members
The Engineering Certification Scheme (ECS) ceases to exist on 29 September 2011. Members will receive further advice on the close down of the old scheme. You will be required to complete an ECS Exit Advice Form to formalise the final stage of ECS. You will be forwarded this form in due course. We wish to take this opportunity to thank all current ECS members for their contribution over the past 30 years. Current ECS members who wish to apply to become a Licensed Certifier under the VSCCS should lodge an Expression of Interest with the RTA as soon as possible. The RTA is currently conducting visits with existing ECS members to enable a smooth transition between the ECS and the VSCCS.

Certificates
ECS certificates cannot be issued after 29 September 2011. Please remind your customers they need to present certificates to the RTA within 14 days of issue.

Insurance
Holding professional indemnity and public liability insurance will be a business condition of the VSCCS. The RTA has arranged to provide licensed certifiers with access to Principal Arranged Insurance (PAI). PAI insurance enables you to be covered for both Professional Indemnity and Public Liability for the certification of modified vehicles in a single premium.

The insurance premium will be $2,800 per annum payable each year that you are a member of the scheme. The premium will cover your insurance whilst you are a member of the scheme and for a period of seven years after you leave or retire from the scheme. Full insurance details and a copy of the policy will be provided at the induction and if you have any further queries regarding insurance please send them to vsccs@rta.nsw.gov.au.

Interviews for persons who have lodged an Expression of Interest
If you have met all the selection criteria for entry into the scheme, you will have been contacted to attend an interview. Interviews will be held in Sydney metro and regional areas from August 2011. Persons invited to attend an interview will be sent a letter confirming interview details and an outline of what they are required to prepare for the interview. Letters will also be sent to those applicants not meeting the criteria. If you are one of these persons you may contact the VSCCS Manager on 1300 336 206 or email vsccs@rta.nsw.gov.au to discuss the matter and any further information you may wish to provide the RTA in support of your application.

Induction
If you are successful with your application, you will be invited to an induction training session about the VSCCS and the RTA’s business requirements. Inductions will be held in Sydney on 19 September and 20 September 2011. The purpose of this induction is to provide licensed certifiers with the business rules to carry out vehicle certifications and meet their obligations as a licensed certifier.

Licenses
A license will be issued to persons who have met the entry criteria, completed induction training and paid the relevant license fees.

Further Information
For scheme information please visit www.rta.nsw.gov.au/vsccs. If you have any further questions please call the VSCCS administration on 1300 336 206 or email vsccs@rta.nsw.gov.au.

Tracey Pickham – Manager, VSCCS

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Old 16-09-2011, 10:08 PM   #13
fg_nitro

So what is the issue? Ensuring accredited engineers are proficient in the ability to certify specific aspects of a vehicle.

What is good enough for OEMs should be good for people who wish to modify.

How many people boost up turbo falcons and not the brakes or suspension? or any car really?

What effect does an increase of 50% of engine power and torque over factory specifications have on the chassis , braking performance and emission controls?
fg_nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2011, 10:13 PM   #14
reece1
reece1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fg_nitro
So what is the issue? Ensuring accredited engineers are proficient in the ability to certify specific aspects of a vehicle.

How many people boost up turbo falcons and not the brakes or suspension? or any car really?

What effect does an increase of 50% of engine power and torque over factory specifications have on the chassis , braking performance and emission controls?
the issue is we have a system that works and now we dont. i guess everyone who doesnt get will work it out. when they go through the new system
Old 16-09-2011, 10:57 PM   #15
AUIIISR

Quote:
Originally Posted by reece1
the issue is we have a system that works and now we dont. i guess everyone who doesnt get will work it out. when they go through the new system
Extra cost, extra time, but if the modified vehicle meets the standards via 3 or 4 different certifiers then its still going to be passed at a cost..... I can see from a safety perspective that a modified vehicle has to be certified properly, but if your going to modify a car then if should be done properly in the first place so it shouldnt be an issue....
Old 16-09-2011, 11:04 PM   #16
reece1
reece1

give it time and you will get what i am saying cause i think everone is going to miss the system we got
Old 16-09-2011, 11:51 PM   #17
vhcbm
having Fiesta withdrawals

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Ford couldn't fix my BlueTooth issue. This member posted a download link, with instruction, on how to do it myself. One week on, the unit hasn't played up once. Three different dealers told me to virtually 'Live with it. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlerj
Apparently switched off though.
Yea they are, god knows when they are going to take them down. I suppose it wouldn't be as simple as jack hammering it up.

I wouldn't get worried about this unless your car is illegal as said above.

Past: 2009 Ford Fiesta LX in Vision Blue - Sold
vhcbm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2011, 03:18 AM   #18
fg_nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUIIISR
Extra cost, extra time, but if the modified vehicle meets the standards via 3 or 4 different certifiers then its still going to be passed at a cost..... I can see from a safety perspective that a modified vehicle has to be certified properly, but if your going to modify a car then if should be done properly in the first place so it shouldnt be an issue....
Exactly
fg_nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2011, 06:39 PM   #19
AUIIISR

Quote:
Exactly
I say this because im building a pretty wild car atm, but I have no intentions of taking any shortcuts anywhere. If im building it from the ground up then im doing everything on the way
Old 18-09-2011, 11:43 PM   #20
reece1
reece1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUIIISR
I say this because im building a pretty wild car atm, but I have no intentions of taking any shortcuts anywhere. If im building it from the ground up then im doing everything on the way
you better get the rules for a icv.( independenly constructed vehicle) build then especially if its a wild build.
Old 19-09-2011, 08:14 AM   #21
Cabbage
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Apart from a few Coppers who we all hate.......[/QUOTE]

Until you need them........
Cabbage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2011, 09:54 AM   #22
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
as of/after the 30th sept 2011 engineer signatories will no longer be able to pass your vehicle. the rug has been ripped out from under them. the powers that be are trying to implement a new system to have a modified car passed.this system in my view will fail. and will also over complicate the process so bad that people will give up. the whhispers have been around for a while about this but now it is here. the nanny state has gone over the top this time. we need to scream at the roads minister about this one in a huge way. or this may be the last major nail in the coffin.
I had a chat to Athol , can't repeat his comments verbatum but hope is rapidly disapearing

http://you-have-to-be-kidding.blogspot.com/ to keep updated
It would appear from what I can see the authority in Nsw got it very wrong indeed
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2011, 09:27 PM   #23
billkara

I have heard a few things about this, mainly through my mate who is doing fabrication work on my car and my engineer.

Word is that this VSCCS is being implemented on September 30 even though the roads minister hasn't signed off on it. All current engineers (84 of them)have to re-apply to the RTA for a liscnce to engineer vehicles. And the RTA have over 1500 applications! So i can see every mechanic and his dog being able to certify a vehicle. But not everyone with a liscence can engineer a whole car. That is, some "business partners" will only be able to authorise the braking system, while others just the fuel system, ALTHOUGH there are some who can pass a whole car.

Also, rumour is that all current engineering certificates will stand. They will not be cancelling any of them UNLESS a cop pulls you over and defects you, then you can pretty much throw away your current certificate.

AND all engineering files open prior to sept 30 will be allowed to be completed even after VSCCS is implemented. Example, my car has a file open meaning i went and saw the engineer, he told me what to fix, opened a file, and is now waiting for me to go back to pass the car.

They are pretty much screwing over modified cars. My fabricator told me that the rules are so crap that to supercharge an XY, you will only be allowed about 270ci!! And also Shannons insurance has come out saying that if this goes ahead, they will most likely not insuring any modified vehicles.... FML

Again, this is word that I've heard from a friend in the business and an engineer who has attended all these RTA meetings... no one knows what the RTA will come out with from now until sept 30...
billkara is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2011, 08:23 PM   #24
reece1
reece1

have i started this thread in the right section? would there be a better section for it.
Old 27-09-2011, 11:01 PM   #25
MEANXBCOUPE
injection is nice, but...

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing the Helicoil article 

Hi,
reece1, word is this has been put on hold till the end of October, spoke to my ginger beer the other day about it.
More info on friday when i meet with him about my brothers 429 XW ute.

Limetime Green '74 XB Coupe- Classic not Plastic.

Blueprint '02 Pursuit 250- Plastic not Classic (yet)

Venom '01 AUII Rebel- RIP. Gone to a better place.

Winter White '12 FG GT 335 R-Spec - something the wife thrashes daily

'05 CRF450X- For getting dirty in the, um, dirt.
MEANXBCOUPE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2011, 11:13 PM   #26
Bunyip04
Think Heavy..

Quote:

FPV sell a supercharged V8 (GS) with pretty much standard XR8 brakes.... And that out does any turbod falcon, Not to mention the XR6T also has cheap shoddy brakes....

There's no replacement for displacement!!!

Handling: Bilstein Shocks with King springs all round, Whiteline 27mm front swaybar & 22mm rear adj, upgraded PBR rotors, calipers and braided lines all round with Bendix Ultimate pads.
Go Fast Bits: Herrod C.A.I with K&N 4" pod flter, Herrod Helix spacer, Herrod oil breathers, Tridon 72c thermostat, Herrod 2.5" stainless cat back zorst.
Bunyip04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2011, 11:17 PM   #27
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
give it time and you will get what i am saying cause i think everone is going to miss the system we got
Spot on bud!!!

Whoever thinks the new system is ok u have no idea, its hard enough dealing with 1 engineer to get things right.

Who's to say 1 engineer cant do it all??? i know 1 guy and he ACE and wont sign anything off unless it meets the requirements....

This new system will just turn ppl off big time which i can see the whole goal of it...

If anything they should go through current acredited engineer's signators and double check there work!!!
Old 27-09-2011, 11:18 PM   #28
Bunyip04
Think Heavy..

This is Not a good thing for you New South Welshmen... My sympathies go out to you, and i hope i never get posted there....

There's no replacement for displacement!!!

Handling: Bilstein Shocks with King springs all round, Whiteline 27mm front swaybar & 22mm rear adj, upgraded PBR rotors, calipers and braided lines all round with Bendix Ultimate pads.
Go Fast Bits: Herrod C.A.I with K&N 4" pod flter, Herrod Helix spacer, Herrod oil breathers, Tridon 72c thermostat, Herrod 2.5" stainless cat back zorst.
Bunyip04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2011, 04:16 PM   #29
blk6t

Can someone please clarafy for the simpletons, what is a modified car????

For example, say 200 cars in NSW go and get professionally lowered this weekend, do they all need to go and see a certified engineer for a compliance certificate?

Because technically the car has been modified.

Or if 10 people in NSW go and get their XR6 Turbo's tuned up at CV Performance or Tunehouse this weekend, again do they need a compliance certificate?

I can guarantee you that the 210 people that have had their cars modified this weekend for example (above) will have no idea about this and just continue on their merry way...
Old 28-09-2011, 05:02 PM   #30
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

does any one see a possible conflict between engineers and a lot more pain for those seeking approval? .......... i can just see it, one engineer says fit the brakes like this, the next engineer says you`ve fitted the brake pipes in the wrong place it will affect chassis yada yada yada,............ good luck NSW guys.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post